• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 22, 2014] KTAR XI - Apex World Circuit - $1000 Pot Bonus! (Somerset, NJ)

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Why is there no Brawl?

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Why is there no Brawl?
Smash 4 is the new and better version of Brawl so to speak, so 99% of the Brawlers have migrated to it. Having Brawl would be too many events after already having Melee and PM too.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
Smash 4 is the new and better version of Brawl so to speak, so 99% of the Brawlers have migrated to it. Having Brawl would be too many events after already having Melee and PM too.
6 Months Ago:
"Brawl sucks and no one will play it when Smash 4 comes out."
"Nah man, you can't hate on other peoples games 'cuz we're #ONEUNIT!"

Now:
"Why is there no Brawl at your tournament, former prominent Brawl tourney host?"
"Because the game is entirely inferior to the new game. No one plays it anymore."

...you realize what a bad look this comment is, right? :facepalm:

EDIT: The two people in the first convo aren't the same two as in the second one.

Last edited:

Keitaro

Brawl is still good, Smash 4 is just better lol. I love both games, but people aren't interested in playing Brawl anymore now that Smash 4 is out, so I will host Smash 4 tournaments since the Brawlers will be playing it anyway.

I also hope the One Unit thing was just an example. As I don't believe in it. Each smash community has a high number of people that are stuck up about their own games for me to agree with it.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Brawl is still good, Smash 4 is just better lol. I love both games, but people aren't interested in playing Brawl anymore now that Smash 4 is out, so I will host Smash 4 tournaments since the Brawlers will be playing it anyway.

I also hope the One Unit thing was just an example. As I don't believe in it. Each smash community has a high number of people that are stuck up about their own games for me to agree with it.
That be true. But too many people have put too much energy into Brawl, its techniques, its characters and its matchups to abandon it. But really I already knew the answer to "why cut Brawl", which was time constraints really, I get it. I just hope it doesn't completely die out. I grew up playing it.

Anyway though, (while this might sound ironic) happy to see you've managed to condense it into one day, maybe I can finally go to a Keitaro tournament.

But one more thing about Brawl: in my favorite piece of PM commentary ever - Tipped Off 9 GF - Dr. PP vs Reflex, PP fthrow chain grabs Reflex's Wario with Marth on the Smashville platform, talking advantage of the fact that it is moving in the same direction he is throwing to rack him up to a high percent and end with an fsmash, killing him. The commentator then says "f*ck brawl". It isn't clear from the audio, but from the context you can tell that someone in the audience says something like "but this isn't brawl, it's project m!". Then the commentator says "you can say that all you want dude, it's still brawl at the end of the day."

Save Brawl! #StillBrawlAtTheEndOfTheDay

comics

Smash Cadet
I'm very interested in coming, but I have some questions, since this would be my first tournament.

1. Do I need to sign up?
2. Is there as cost?
3. If I am not in the tournament but want to play friendlies can I? I want to meet some of my heroes like mew2king and get my controller signed

I'm very new and pretty bad, but I love Melee. I hope I am welcomed!

Keitaro

I'm very interested in coming, but I have some questions, since this would be my first tournament.

1. Do I need to sign up?
2. Is there as cost?
3. If I am not in the tournament but want to play friendlies can I? I want to meet some of my heroes like mew2king and get my controller signed

I'm very new and pretty bad, but I love Melee. I hope I am welcomed!
1. You don't need to sign up online. You can just sign up in person.
2. The costs are $10 for venue fee which would be if you're just coming to hang out and play friendlies. It's another $10 for each event you plan to enter (singles, doubles, etc)
3. Yes you can pay friendlies and hang out after paying the venue fee.

comics

Smash Cadet
1. You don't need to sign up online. You can just sign up in person.
2. The costs are $10 for venue fee which would be if you're just coming to hang out and play friendlies. It's another $10 for each event you plan to enter (singles, doubles, etc)
3. Yes you can pay friendlies and hang out after paying the venue fee.
Sounds awesome! I'm probably taking off my part-time job to attend, but they are pretty lax so I'm sure they won't mind, I've never asked anything of them, this is going to be so worth it, I've meant to attend a tournament since February.

One more question, sorry for bombaring you with questions, haha.

Is there set times for each event?

My mom might have to pick me up early at 9 or so, since she will be driving me because I don't have my full driver's licence yet.

I appreciate your time!

Keitaro

Sounds awesome! I'm probably taking off my part-time job to attend, but they are pretty lax so I'm sure they won't mind, I've never asked anything of them, this is going to be so worth it, I've meant to attend a tournament since February.

One more question, sorry for bombaring you with questions, haha.

Is there set times for each event?

My mom might have to pick me up early at 9 or so, since she will be driving me because I don't have my full driver's licence yet.

I appreciate your time!
If your mom has to pick you up at that time you should be fine. Doubles starts usually around noon or 1 with singles beginning around 4 or 5. Full schedule isn't made yet but will be posted when it is.

Keitaro

KTAR X had the worst commentary known to man....
Are speaking of the Melee/PM commentary? We actually didn't have any scheduled commentators for that so some people I didn't know were put to commentate. It will surely be different this time around.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I look forward to this event, I have a question though if I enter multiple games would I still be able to compete in all of them or would they all be running at the same time?

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
It's the Wii U Version, Keitaro said it on the facebook event page

Vlush

Smash Rookie
anyone from the south philly/delaware county area going? I won't have a car on the 22nd. I'll gladly give $10 gas money for whoever can give me a ride there and back. PM me if you wanna help me out and trade contact details

T0MMY

Smash Master
For those interested in attending this event, this may be of particular interest regarding rules:
Rich King with Riddge Rj Mussington said:
Yesterday at 10:56am · Edited
I personally don't see bigger events allowing custom movesets in the future due to limitations with Wii U systems and unlocking custom moves. However the future may change. But for this event with the information we're given and Apex coming up, I believe it is best to have it without customs since the chances of customs being there is also slim in my opinion.
This wasn't an overnight decision as I've been discussing with with others for over a month now. However I think it is the best decision for the time being. Mii fighters and Palutena are still allowed, but with their default moveset which will be already provided on the setups.
Bold added for emphasis on rules.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Thanks @ T0MMY T0MMY . I'm hoping @ Keitaro Keitaro will post the actual ruleset here, the sooner the better.

I think "no customs" for a day-after-game's-release tournament makes sense, though I think we'd be crazy not to enable them someday after they can reasonably be expected to be unlocked on tourney setups.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Thanks @ T0MMY T0MMY . I'm hoping @ Keitaro Keitaro will post the actual ruleset here, the sooner the better.

I think "no customs" for a day-after-game's-release tournament makes sense, though I think we'd be crazy not to enable them someday after they can reasonably be expected to be unlocked on tourney setups.
Yeah, I'd like to see the ruleset posted here as well.
I just hope he uses some clear language because it is not very well understood what "no customs" means, but if he posts the game settings as "Customization: Off" that would be so much more clear. And regarding Palutena/Mii the only thing that needs to be stated is that a default Mii will be made available on each setup which will include all 3 of the fighter types but with only their special moves being the first ones set as a default (1, 1, 1, 1):

Brawler

:GCN: Neutral: 1 Shot Put
:GCR: Side: 1 Onslaught
:GCU: Up: 1 Soaring Axe Kick
:GCD: Down: 1 Head-On Assault

Swordfighter

:GCN: Neutral: 1 Gale Strike
:GCR: Side: 1 Airborne Assault
:GCU: Up: 1 Stone Scabbard
:GCD:Down: 1 Blade Counter

Gunner

:GCN: Neutral: 1 Charge Blast
:GCR: Side: 1 Flame Pillar
:GCU:Up: 1 Lunar Launch
:GCD:Down: 1 Echo Reflector

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think I can actually go to this now.

:093:

Keitaro

I more commonly update the Facebook page since most people are there but I'll update this one tonight too.

infomon

Smash Scientist
@ Keitaro Keitaro hath abandoned us, but I friggin hate facebook, smashboards 4 lyfe:

Smash 4 Stage list + Rule-set:

Stage list (Singles & Doubles)
2 bans per player for singles, 2 bans per team for Doubles

Neutrals:
Town and City
Battlefield
Final Destination

Counter-picks:
Battleship Halberd
Kongo Jungle
Skyloft
Delfino
Pilot Wings
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege

Omega FD is a CP but if FD is banned then Omega FD is also banned

4v4 Stagelist:

Neutrals:
Big Battlefield
Windy Hill Zone
Final Destination

Counterpicks:
Temple
Omega FDs

Rules for Singles, doubles, and 4v4s:

2 Stocks, 6 Minute Time Limit, No Items,
Team Attack is On
Double Elimination Bracket (Single Elim for 4v4), 2/3 Games, 3/5 finals matches
Custom moves banned
Pikachu + Game & Watch cannot be together in Doubles or 4v4
Default move-sets only for Palutena
Mii Fighters banned
Can't go the same color as your opponent's team color

The act of stalling is banned: Stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinite’s, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

------Smashville, Yoshi's Island, and Duck Hunt will likely be legal at future events, but aren't because they need to be unlocked in this game and with the game coming out a day before this tournament we are going to run without them for now. Same goes for Mii Fighters as a standard for them has yet to be set. Likely for the next KTAR these all will be legal.--------

Note regarding Custom Moves:

Due to a multitude of factors mainly including Wii U's limited functionality with custom moves, the common rulesets from other regions, and also the ability to have equipment on while still showing a clear circle "not many know about this exploit", we have decided to not allow custom moves for this event or future events at this time.

I personally don't see bigger events allowing custom movesets in the future due to limitations with Wii U systems and unlocking custom moves. However the future may change. But for this event with the information we're given and Apex coming up, I believe it is best to have it without customs since the chances of customs being there is also slim in my opinion.

This wasn't an overnight decision as I've been discussing with with others for over a month now. However I think it is the best decision for the time being. Mii fighters and Palutena are still allowed, but with their default moveset which will be already provided on the setups.

Also be sure to check out the schedule and event prices in the description and here:

Schedule:

10 am: Registration begins
11 am: Smash 4 Doubles
11:30 am: Project M Doubles
12:00 pm: Melee Doubles
2:00 pm: Smash 4 4v4
3:00 pm: Smash 4 Singles
3:30 pm: Project M Singles
4:00 pm: Melee Singles

Venue Fee: $10
Smash 4 Singles: $10
Melee Singles: $10
Project M Singles: $10
Smash 4 Doubles ($10 a person)
Melee Doubles ($10 a person)
Project M Doubles ($10 a person)
Smash 4v4 ($5 a person, 4 players per team)
$1 off for a Wii+PM or GC+Melee
$2 off for a TV
$5 off for a Wii U
$5 off for a Gaming Monitor (contact me beforehand about which monitor)

Payouts and Fees:

Sponsored by Apex/Twitch with a $1000 pot bonus for Melee!

Will feature events for Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Melee, and Project M.

Venue Fee: $10
Smash 4 Singles: $10
Melee Singles: $10
Project M Singles: $10
Smash 4 Doubles ($10 a person)
Melee Doubles ($10 a person)
Project M Doubles ($10 a person)
Smash 4v4 ($5 a person, 4 players per team)
$1 off for a Wii+PM or GC+Melee
$2 off for a TV
$5 off for a Wii U
$5 off for a Gaming Monitor (contact me beforehand about which monitor)

Schedule:

10 am: Registration begins
11 am: Smash 4 Doubles
11:30 am: Project M Doubles
12:00 pm: Melee Doubles
3:00 pm: Smash 4 Singles
3:30 pm: Project M Singles
4:00 pm: Melee Singles

Melee Singles payouts

1st: 48% (+$480)
2nd: 20% (+$200)
3rd: 12% (+$120)
4th: 8% (+$80)
5th: 4% (+$40)
7th: 2% (+$20)

Smash 4 and Project M Singles payouts

1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%

Smash 4 and Project M Singles payouts (If over 100 entrants)

1st: 48%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 12%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
7th: 2%

Doubles: (10 or more teams):

1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%

Doubles: (9 or less teams)

1st: 55%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%

Smash 4 4v4:
1st: 70%
2nd: 30%

Smashboards page: http://smashboards.com/threads/nov-...ld-circuit-1000-pot-bonus-somerset-nj.371632/

Streaming by VGBootCamp! www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp
http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http:...hsnJqhPdt8_cVQXp-HoadGD7yN6RPoRiqoy41ISr4&s=1

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sooooo....... all-Sonic team for 4v4? :D
4sure.

Ugh but I need to be somewhere that morning... I'm gonna try to see if I'll be able to make it there in time for Sm4sh singles.

:093:

infomon

Smash Scientist
How are manhattany pplz getting to the tourney? Looks like there's NJTransit train from Penn Station (NY) to New Brunswick... and then.... taxi from there? Anyone know how easy or reasonable that is? There's a bus from the New Brunswick station that gets closer to the venue but it's still quite a walk it looks like, so I'd rather just cab it the whole way..

Top Bottom