• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sep 20, 2014] FullMetal and Smash Studios proudly present: Tipped Off 10! (Doraville, GA)

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion

(Artwork by Tommy "TBag" Bagwell)

Greetings, Smash-faithful! It's been a long time coming, and I know many of you have been eagerly waiting for this announcement... So here it is! TIPPED OFF 10! (Also sometimes referred to as Project Toxic)

Hype video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oz27t31SAM

Facebook event thingie:

https://www.facebook.com/events/690...reate&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming&source=49

First thing's first, money info and such.
Venue Fee: 25$
SSBM Singles: 15$
SSBM Doubles: 10$ per teammate (20$ per team)
Project M Singles: 10$

Here's the pre-reg link:
tinyurl.com/tippedoff10

Pre-Registration ends September 14th at 11:59 PM EST! You can register at the door for an increased venue fee of $30 but we cannot guarantee optimal seeding for you unless you register online. Anyone who brings a full Melee setup (CRT + GC/Wii + copy of Melee + Memory Card) will be awarded $5 at the door but you must commit your setup for the whole duration of the tournament. This will obviously be capped when we reach a sufficient number of setups to run the event. First-come first served!

Payout Format:
SSBM Singles- (Will be 1 round of round robin pools split into 2 waves leading to a double elimination bracket)
1st- 45%
2nd- 20%3rd- 15%4th- 10%5th- 5% each

SSBM Doubles- (Will be bracket pools)
1st- 50%2nd- 25%3rd- 15%4th- 10%

Project M Singles- (Will be 1 round of round robin pools split into 2 waves leading to a double elimination bracket)
(If the number of entrants exceeds 80 people, the payout format will be the same as SSBM Singles)
1st- 60%2nd- 30%3rd- 10%

There WILL be PM doubles, registration will be at the door.

Of note: If you enter SSBM singles and Project M singles, you will be in alternate waves for each event.
Example: Player X is in Wave 1 for SSBM, and Wave 2 for Project M
Player Y is in Wave 2 for SSBM, and Wave 1 for Project M

I'm very proud to be partnered with Smash Studios again this year!
Here's the link to their channel
http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios

So let's start the news rolling!

Tipped Off 10 will be a Final Round Qualifier this year! Final Round is one of the biggest Fighting Game tournaments in the United States hosted every year in Atlanta, Georgia by Larry "Shin Blanka" Dixon. The top 2 placers in SSBM Singles will be given free entry into Final Round and seeding points in SSBM at Final Round! Final Round will also have a Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U tournament.

We will also be an Apex 2015 Qualifier! Info to be updated as it is released by Alex Strife.

We are happy to announce that Versus Gaming Center will be streaming Project M at Tipped Off 10 to Top 4! Please give them a follow on twitch and like/follow/subscribe to them on social media. Versus is based out of South Florida. They run weekly SSBM/PM tournaments and sponsorship events to huge tournaments such as MLG and EVO! In addition, they run a very high quality stream. We are excited to have them on board!

Versus will also be bringing along a couple of Japanese Smash 4 3DS's to play Smash 4 on!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VersusGamingCenter
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/vsgamingcenter
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VSGamingCenter
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc

I'm very proud to announce Video Game Trader as one of our sponsors!
They're located off of Buford Drive, very close to the Mall of GA, and they run a great shop!
Video Game Trader LLC is a 15 year old family owned and operated independent retro and modern video game retailer.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/J2Gamescom/193998669650

We are also being sponsored by Flashback Games!

Here's their FB page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flashback-Games/427771420602526
And their official site!
http://www.flashbackgames.org/
They run a REALLY nice place, and have let us run several tournaments there before. We're super-proud and excited to have them onboard for Tipped Off 10!

I have 2 more possible sponsors, but haven't struck the final deal with them yet, so that remains TBA.

But that's not all... for any of you who've attended Final Round in the past, you may recognize this venue...
Comfort Inn & Conference Center2001 Clearview Ave, Doraville, GA 30340
(770) 455-3700

To reserve a room at the venue for a discounted rate of $69.99 a night, please call the above number and ask for the Tipped Off 10 group rate.

I've included some photos to walk you into the venue if you're unfamiliar with it, however.

If you've passed this sign, you missed the entrance!

This is the parking lot. You'll wanna head towards that overhang seen in the upper right of the picture after you park your ride.

Go through this door and stuff.

You'll see this lovely lounge! You're gonna want to head to the left, past the check-in desk.

Go down this hallway and look to your right! Restrooms are on the left.

This is the hallway you wanna be in. That door to the right is where we'll be set up to check you in!

As you can see, the room is pretty sizeable. BIG upgrade from last year... lol!

And a bonus Chu-dat pose showing the other side of the room.

Let's get down to the knitty-gritty. The ruleset will be the same as the Apex 2014 rules, (after all I did help make them lol).
Singles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Doubles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • DK 64
General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed.
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
  • Forced Character Selection: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Team Attack: ON
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
How to Play a Set
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
  3. The players play the first match of the set
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
    For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
    For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
Term Definitions
    • Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
    • Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
    • Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.
    • Singles:
      StagePort 1Port 2Port 3Port 4
      FD**
      FoD**
      YS**
      DL**
      BF**
      PS**
      Doubles:

StagePort 1Port 2Port 3Port 4
      FDTeam ATeam BTeam ATeam B
      PSTeam ATeam BTeam BTeam A
      BFTeam ATeam BTeam BTeam A
      YSTeam ATeam BTeam BTeam A
      DLTeam ATeam BTeam BTeam A
    • DSR: A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won on.
    • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
    • Forced Character Selection: The losing player once had the option to select Random Stage as their counterpick and remove the option to change characters from the winner of the previous round. This is no longer legal. If a player wishes to select Random Stage as their counterpick, the winner of the previous round may choose to change their character.
    • Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining.
      Players strike stages in this order:

StrikePlayer 1Player 2
      Strike 1*
      Strike 2 *
      Strike 3 *
      Strike 4*

Project M ruleset:
*4 stock, 8 minutes.

* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.

* Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.

* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.

* Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.

* If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.

Stagelist:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-1 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 2 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not counterpick a stage on which they won). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starters:

Green Hill Zone
Pokémon Stadium 2
Smashville
Battlefield
Dreamland 64

Counterpicks:

Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story (Singles Only)
Distant Planet (Doubles Only)

General Code of Conduct:
Guys, this really should go without saying, but being under the influence of any substance or alcohol while in the venue is discouraged. If you're rowdy enough, I will throw you out without a refund.
Sexual harassment rule: If anyone, male or female reports to me or my staff that a player has made them feel uncomfortable sexually, we're going to have to sit down and have a talk. Depending on how I interpret the situation, the offender risks expulsion from the tournament, disqualification from the bracket, and possibly future bans from any events I run. TL:DR... keep your hands to yourself and don't be obnoxious.

Tentative Schedule:
Saturday, September 20th
8am- They give me the keys! Time to set up the venue.
9am- Doors open to the public. This is when you can emergency register and check in, then play friendlies!
11am- Emergency registration ends
12pm- SSBM doubles begins and continues to top 8
2pm- Wave 1 of SSBM singles begins, Wave 1 of Project M singles begins
4pm- PM doubles begins and continues to top 4
6pm- Wave 2 of SSBM singles begins, Wave 2 of Project M singles begins
11:30pm- Everyone must GTFO for the night

Sunday, September 21st
9am- Venue opens, you can filter in and play friendlies and stuff if you wanna
11am- All events resume except PM Doubles
1pm- PM doubles top 4 begins

3pm- Charity Mushroom Kingdom 2 event in honor of Shelley Little
10pm- Cleanup time!
11:30pm- Everyone and everything must be out of the venue! They take away the keys T_T

I don't -THINK- I forgot anything... but I'll be sure to update the thread if something's brought to my attention.

I'm looking forward to seeing many of you there! Let's make this GA's biggest event yet!

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
In before this gets 150+ entrants. I'm really pushing for NC to have a good representation this time instead of just me and PPMD at Tipped Off 9. I'm especially pushing for most of Charlotte to come to this, as well as getting LoZR to come. I really want to see an Exhibition between Colbol (Best Fox main in FL), DruggedFox (Best Fox main in GA), and LoZR (Best Fox main in NC). It would be really legit if LoZR entered as DrunkFox so that when DrunkFox vs. DruggedFox happens it'll be a pretty hype set.

Super Hype for this tournament!

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
I concur with Zero, PM doubles would make me explode with hype at this.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Host PM doubles pls! :)
I tell you what I'll do. If PM singles finish quickly enough, we'll have PM doubles as well. To make this happen, I'll need players to be on-point about getting their matches done, as well as a few "PM only" volunteers to help out with running the event.

If both of those criteria are met, I have no problem adding PM doubles to the event list.

ss118

Smash Master
I tell you what I'll do. If PM singles finish quickly enough, we'll have PM doubles as well. To make this happen, I'll need players to be on-point about getting their matches done, as well as a few "PM only" volunteers to help out with running the event.

If both of those criteria are met, I have no problem adding PM doubles to the event list.
I can help with this if necessary.

Zone

Smash Champion
Will be doing my best to bring pensacola and mobile to this tournament. Advertising for you now.

Rice said he'll come if he can get a good controller so were working on that too lol.

HyperDragon

Smash Apprentice
I will be there. I imagine a good amount of my homies from the mid-south will also show up.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I know that the crew battle will be set with top players from Ga and most likely south Florida but if NC/SC comes would the northwest Florida be able to play in a separate crew battle?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
By the way, Dinowulf, you bopped me when I played you at CEO. I have the utmost respect for good yoshi mains. Good stuff.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
This **** finna be live.

EDIT: Also, would could I talk to about housing/rooming with them?

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I'm mainly a PM player and I've wanted to go to a tournament for awhile. So has my friend. We may show up for this depending on how much work we have that weekend (HS kids). Would love to get some tips from other Smash Players!

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
hey Con0rrrr there will be another yoshi player awsome. For Project M advice i would suggest you go to scatz. He's the overall expert of Yoshi in the brawl (lol) & Project Melee department. I could help you in the melee department but i'm not the best at it i would suggest you travel over to the yoshi melee board where you'll run into me and a lot others playing as yoshi.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
hey Con0rrrr there will be another yoshi player awsome. For Project M advice i would suggest you go to scatz. He's the overall expert of Yoshi in the brawl (lol) & Project Melee department. I could help you in the melee department but i'm not the best at it i would suggest you travel over to the yoshi melee board where you'll run into me and a lot others playing as yoshi.
I actually don't play much Melee, mainly PM and hopefully Smash 4 when i comes out. But when I do play Melee it's Falco, Yoshi, or Pichu for fun. If I decide to pick up Melee more seriously then I'll be sure to check it out! I already lurk the Yoshi PM board

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
playing Pichu is only fun vs Captain Falcon on FD. Also I am a pretty good Yoshi main in PM. maybe we can get together and I can show you some stuff.

a Stewart

Smash Rookie
So , i'll definitely be coming to this, been looking for any ssbm action in Georgia for some time. Who can I speak with that organized this event though? I need to ask them a question regarding the singles brackets

The Flow

Smash Cadet
I'm mainly a PM player and I've wanted to go to a tournament for awhile. So has my friend. We may show up for this depending on how much work we have that weekend (HS kids). Would love to get some tips from other Smash Players!
Hopefully you guys will be able to make it! The Smash community is extremely welcoming and friendly. Many smashers will give you great advice if you ask.

So , i'll definitely be coming to this, been looking for any ssbm action in Georgia for some time. Who can I speak with that organized this event though? I need to ask them a question regarding the singles brackets
I can answer any questions you have. Send me a PM!

Naryx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Naryx17
I was wondering of there was a thread for housing/transportation assistance for this event on the forums, i was unable to find one myself so if someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated ^^

The Flow

Smash Cadet

Naryx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Naryx17
Thanks i Live in Kentucky so im mostly looking for some people to share a room with unless i can find some people in my area that are going XD This also probably going to be one of the first events i will be going too ^^

Last edited:

The Flow

Smash Cadet
I'm sure a few people will be interested once the event gets a little bit closer. Glad that you are making Tipped Off one of your first events :)

Daysoo

Smash Ace
it has been foretold that that on the day of this tournament a has-been smasher will rise from his grave and help run admissions or some ****

Top Bottom