• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footnbaseball's Super Game and Watch Guide!

kitfox4

Smash Rookie
GOTTA LOVE G&W - my favorite character

just few random advice to other fellow g&w players

levels with platforms are good since u can hide under them and just use the match sticking out the sides since most players have difficulty hitting down through a platform and still attacking.

Match is also great for large characters that like ganon since u hit them from behind when they try to roll against you.

parachute is very good. dont forget to throw in the fast fall to help it hit more often esp people on the ground. If they are on the ground try to land behind them to avoid shild grabs. remember it's a separate hit box so if they hit the shute no worries. but it doesn't hit them untill the animation shows it is fully open. great for preventing people from getting over edges like the middle of peach's castle.

ur right about the marth thing. i will play g*w against anyone cept a marth. that forward smash as an edge gard is pretty unavoidable. only thing you can try to do is up b before u get close to the ledge to go over them and get them to swing early and miss.

esp in 1v1 matches use the turtle at the begining since it knocks them back at pretty much any damage so u dont have to worry about them absorbing whatever attack and hitting you back.

Dont forget to forward smash people against walls. since it's duration is soo long and u can pull it out the 2nd 3rd and so on times very quickly u just pin them against the wall and hit them 4-5 times before they can do anything.

Becareful about shilding too. even lightshilding g&w has one of the worst if not the worst shild. Even if you directional influence it it's crap!

If you do the down air (key with omg priority always use it if your falling from above) from a full jump theres a good chance he will put it away as you hit the ground and with the moment from moving you really dont need to l cancel which sets you up to turn around and do the match. the forward air from my experience is sooo hard to l cancel and when i've done it, i haven't seen it help much.

Dont forget that you can run up to someone hit down and hit forward smash with the cstick! even if you stop in front of them and miss unless they jump up do it again! i bet they will fall for it.

ultimate attack... up arrowkey.. seriously his taunt is soo fast i will just run up to people and taunt and it throws off opponents games. just running around taunting will anger the easily aggrivated and set you up for some shild grabs

such an unpredictable fellow (up b+fast fall juggle at high damage, it's so funny)..so great. i can beat some seriously good players with g&w (and not with anyone else) since most dont know what to expect esp the two forward smashes in a row, they fall for it every time. Keep him as a little secret most wont know what to do.

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
oh yea good call about the shield..i forgot to put that in, ill do that and give you credit.

i try to just not shield whenever possible, for the most part his wd is good enough that you can usually use it for dodging moves rather then shield them.

apparently this guide either sucks or no one cares about GW cause no ones commenting. meh, sucks for you guys. hes way more fun then your shieks and foxi and marthses.

Thwick

Smash Journeyman
Really great to see a G&W guide come through. I love the combo section and the tips. He's a fun character and one who's just so great to play with. Thanks for spending the time on this.

Peaches

Smash Lord
Originally posted by footnbaseball
oh yea good call about the shield..i forgot to put that in, ill do that and give you credit.

i try to just not shield whenever possible, for the most part his wd is good enough that you can usually use it for dodging moves rather then shield them.

apparently this guide either sucks or no one cares about GW cause no ones commenting. meh, sucks for you guys. hes way more fun then your shieks and foxi and marthses.
Don't worry about it. I read the whole thing, but I don't really have anything to add. Can't think of anything either, it's pretty good.

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
well thanks...im just trying to get game and watch out there to the public. if the public chooses not to accept him...perhaps it is not his time.

but if it is not his time now...then when?

::shot cuts to game and watch standing on a cliff overlooking the ocean. shot zooms out slowly while an orchestra begins to play::

hehe sweet.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Nice job, footnbaseball. The guide itself is well-organized and neat, with only very few spelling and grammar issues. The actual content of it (easily more important) is pretty impressive and thorough (and remarkably to-the-point). I liked especially the explanations after each of GW's moves. You don't know how happy I am that I didn't click on this thread and just see a glorified move list, but rather just the opposite. The combo section is pretty extensive and covers a good deal of combos from GW's characteristic set-ups (but I'm not a Game and Watch player, so what else would I know other than what you've written?). The character strats section is a bit lacking at this moment (I'm assuming you aim to update this? It really is good), but time and experience will easily help you add more on to that. For now, it's a pretty decent base for new GW players to start doing what they're supposed to do. All in all, a good guide for the strange Game and Watch. Thanks for your time and effort, footnbaseball.

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
hey thanks cunning, much appreciated coming from someone with such a good guide as yourself. and yea, i do want to update the character strats section, only problem is i really dont have any since my competition is for some reason limited. like i said, azen lives right over there so i really should play him more.

and thanks emacee, ill put that in. know of any other character specific strats?

yomominacan

Smash Cadet
I like to play game and watch.
I whoop on all of my newb friends, but I don't have any real competition around here. I guess I have to wait to go back to miami. One of my friends there plays a pretty good fox.

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
ok i added a little to the character strats section, vs zelda, falco and fox. again, if anyone has any more info i missed, feel free to post. i should have some more char strats after a smashfest tomorrow.

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
thanks kupo, but i believe i included that...yea its with the forward smash information

btw i think ive discovered a practical use for the down smash! i find that it may be used as cover for retreating...simply wd back and down smash. if they come after you, they have a good chance of being in the sweet spot range, which despite what i originally said, is actually decently strong. yay!

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
sorry for the double post, but if i edited no one would see it. and very few people see this anyway!

i recently downloaded a video of calfoolio's gw vs isai's samus. One technique that he uses quite often is following up a manhole with and upb, and it works very well for him, especially on a floaty character like samus where following up with a parachute quickly becomes very difficult. i added this to the guide in the combo section...so have fun with it.

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
Yeah that is a great GW guide, it definitely helps beginning G&Wers as well as some experienced players.

He's a char i'm trying to build up to ***-whooping status, and i'm not so far from that, looking at many matches ( Wes Ganon to 1 stock, some vics on Philly, and 1 stock on some psycho Fox at S4c - all matches were 5 stock.) so yeah G&W is highly underrated...but highly exploitable :mad:

Good guide, no hard feelings on your Mild $oss defense rant eh Foot?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Looks pretty good to me. Mr. Game and Watch is No. 4 in my Fearsome Foursome (Ness, Fox, Jigglypuff, Him.) So I'm a pretty skilled G&W player.
He is overlooked, I mean...he can take out Fox and Falco with one combo! He's better at owning fast fallers than Ness, and that's saying something!!

Ah...with your character strategies, you forgot to mention that death combo on Fox and Falco. It goes like this:

Fox: grab and upthrow chain until he's at 35% damage. Then use flagman to knock him higher and grab him again and do another up throw. Once again, go for a flagman and then jump into the air and use a parachute. If you are playing on a flat stage, he should be over the edge by now and you can simply edge guard him with all you've got. (REALLY WORKS!!!)

Falco: just like Fox except you can up-throw him until he's on 65% damage! Wow! And what's more, his recovery sucks, so he's even easier to beat than Fox is!

Remember to take DI into account. If the Fox or Falco Di's forwards, then do a jump-canceled grab to catch them, or if you're going for a flagman then walk forwards a little bit to hit them with the first flag.

One more thing, your character strategy for Ness is a little vague. Think of something to get around his PK shove, which really stuffs G&W up, seeing as he has such a terrible sheild and a bad roll/sidestep.

yomominacan

Smash Cadet
perhaps try using gw's dtilt. As we all know this move has sick priority. I dont have a way to test this out right now, it is highly possible that the pk shove outranges it, but it is worth a try.

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
woo..been out of town for a while suddenly theres people here!

thanks vulcan, and dont worry about it, mild is a lil *****:chuckle: if i come to smash4cash 2, we'll do a GW ditto. Wes's ganon to 1 stock? good work, Wes's anything to one stock is good...

i will definitly put that combo in nessbounder...i'll have to test it but it looks good on paper.

and as for the ness thing, most of the character descriptions are lacking, but you play both characters so dont you have some idea of how to fight a ness? ive never fought one, except azens round 1 at game over...yea that was fun...heres how it went:

me: so who you gonna beat me with?
azen: im thinkin ness...
me: ahright then

but i played falco at the time so it didnt help with the gw vs ness situation...off the top of my head, wouldnt turtledancing be a good cover from pk shove?

jwj442

Smash Journeyman
Good guide! G&W is probably tied with Peach and Mario for my fourth most played character (after Climbers, Samus, and Y. Link), and this will definitely help me get better with him.

josh15162003

Smash Journeyman
**** good guide! I have just recently picked up G&W as one of my main characters. Surprisingly enough, he has some major ownage potential against even high tier character's. This guide has really helped out my G&W game. Thanks a lot. THis may be asking too much but if you could figure out some way to have more character strats in there it would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I love you...

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
hey someone loves me....thats.....good.

i could probably add more to some of the character strats since ive had a little more experience with him now, but to speed things up, who are you having trouble with?

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
yea...yea he does. ive been working lately on finding something that gw can do against marth specifically, i guess all of this applies to roy to...heres what im finding out:

1.key is one of your only moves with range, so double jump it and ff it on their head.

2. your dash attack has excellent priority, it will always clank with the sword, so a nice tactic would be to dash attack, and since its so slow chances are they will fsmash or ftilt, when it clanks, immediately dtilt.

3.mind games are your friends. dash in, wd back, fair.

4.for the love of god, if you get a hit, follow it up. if you get in the range, then you have got to keep the pressure on until they slap you away.

theres a good vid on dc++ of grids gw vs andys marth, and grid does suprisingly well, so it couldnt hurt to take a look at that.

josh15162003

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had too much trouble with any character in particular but some more strats on falcon, falco, gannon and perhaps mario if it isn't too much to ask. Thanks man!

PikachuPower

Smash Cadet
Nice guide man. It's good to see a nice G and W guide. I never thought people took him that seriously, I'm not a big fan of his.

I probably underestimate him though. I'm sure there are G and W players out there that could kick my n00b ***! :chuckle:

the sideburns

Smash Journeyman
Nice guide fnb, just got around to reading it. I'm lookin forward to tryin out my yosh on your ness. Something tells me the dino's gonna get pwned. The question is, how do you edgeguard against g-dub? Maybe some ylink dtilt action? Problem with my ylink is I actually like to fight with him rather than shoot&run, so I'm not sure how he'll hold up at a tourney. Less than two weeks... The low-tier bracket's gonna be exciting!

DracaDragon

Smash Cadet
G&W is so great....I play him all the time even though he's supposedly bad. I went to the Gaybar smash tournament with my fiancee and played G&W and people cracked up. I got some people saying in the background "did I just hear G&W??" and they looked over and there was the only female in the house playing G&W. LOL. I lost every match except for one. I won against one of the best people in Cali! and he ended up winning singles! The thing about G&W is that people don't know how to deal with him. They just aren't used to his random sausages (I call them pancakes) flying everywhere. My technique is to sit back until everyone kills eachother and then move in for the kill. He's a pain in the *** for people lol!! I love him though.

josh15162003

Smash Journeyman
IMO, I think G&W should be an all out offensive character...no way in **** that I am gonna sit back and wait for them to make the move because G&W's shield grabbing game isn't the best in the world. Also, his defense tactics aren't all that good due to a poor shield and his WD isn't that bad but could be better. I would almost always be aggressive over defensive. I mean...no one can handle the fair, nair, and dair...not to mention the matchstick...dun dun dun!

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
FootnBase, I don't know how but we must get a G&W ditto going.

I so far, have the best one I know.

I may or may NOT have a good one in some people's eyes.

But I am slowly getting more and more credibility for him.

If you want we can make it a money match, not necessary but i'm up for things.

I need to claim 2 titles.

High and mighty Ganondorf and best G&W.

Right now i'm on a decent road to both.

Wes just isn't responding to my money challenges.

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
i'll definitly take you up on that vulcan, but dont forget needles of junta. he got 3rd at the FC low tier tourny with gw, you gotta beat him to to be the best. I'll be at both team bens big tourny in october and h2yls big tourny in december, if it actually happens, so if you wanna make the drive to either of those, you will be #1 on my list of people to play.

and for sideburns, to edgeguard against gw, you need to use something with range/priority/disjointed hitbox, so for younglink, id recommend either fair or fsmash, since its difficult to sweetspot the edge with gw, so usually he'll pop over the edge just a little bit. if you want to be a little more advanced, you could whip out a bomb, double jump, drop it so that it will hit gw when he uses his upb(its very predictable timing if hes coming from below), the bomb will keep him in that spot long enough to pull off the fsmash....of course i could be completely talking out of my *** right there as i came up with it right now. so give it a shot...otherwise, just fsmash or fair, or to a lesser extent, dtilt or ftilt.

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
Nah I wasn't at MLG..

Only tourney I have joined in the LAST TWO YEARS was Smash For Cash.(yep that bad :crazy: )

And BOY was I phucking rusted.

But hey if I can get someone to ride me down to any of those tournies most definitely FootNBase.

**** I need to get my tourney exp. to high levels.

ME = car-less so if no assist ride...no fun =/

We'll see what happens.. :cool:

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I have a question. Most G&W players know the up air cannot be canceled. For some reason though, it seems like the b-air can't be canceled either.

Maybe I am missing the timing for it, but when I try not to cancel it seems to have the same lag as if I were habitually l-cancelling.

So is G&W not only the one char to have an aerial move that can't be l-canceled, but the only char to have two moves that can't be canceled?

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
didnt read all the posts but,another thing the bug spray is useful for is getting people in grabs wich is where all of GW true colors shine is grab combos. bug spray to grab and then to whatever throw combo u wanna put them in.
also when floating back tword the level throw a Over + B at your oponent, i dono how many times ive hit somone with a judgement trying to get back to the level. but my GW blows hardcores so i dono what im talkin bout rly

as far as GW being an all offensive char..... yeah basically lol, his shield can usualy take ONE hit from alot of moves then u gotta get somthin done or u gonna be ownd. but some moves he cant block at all unless its alight shield, wich is somthing i should work on with GW is his light shield but its so hard im so used to just mashing the block button when i dont wanna get hit lol, a light shielding GW would be a rediculos opponent to beat if he did it right.

taj287, i did not know u couldent L cancel his up air, but his back air is definatly cancelable. all GW L cancels are weird to me tho heh.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Actually, I just tested that you CAN´t cancel back air either!
However, If you pull the trumpet just barely before landing, GW will pull the trumpet but there won´t be coming any bug spray out. The trumpet stays there for about 1-2 frames and after that GW is ready to act (No need even to l-cancel) making this trumpet-cancel have even a possible use in real combat (like if GW is rolling in air and needs to get up really guickly without rolling away).
Same goes with Bair.
Ness has his foot cancel work the same way but it´s way easier to pull out.

footnbaseball

Smash Ace
no you can cancel the bair, the difference is just very small. try doing shuffled back airs regular as fast as you can, then lcanceled. youll move slightly faster. that might be what is happening with uair, it cancels but the difference is so small we dont even notice.

Top Bottom