• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 10, 2014] Mass Madness 12a (Framingham, MA)

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
New England has had it's break.

March saw ROM7, Mass Madness 11a, and NSA2 + Grand Finals of The Melee Games.

April has been a calm month. Game Over and Smashing Grounds are going steady with giving people opportunities to play on weekdays, HoG Melee & PM moved things forward to CT, and NH event started a weekly event. 4/19 saw the first PM monthly at Game Underground (POOBrise Kingdom), RISE in RI & NH's weekly event.

But nothing has brought the states together. MM12a aims to change that! With 4 weeks to get ready, and 6 weeks out from PCX in Wilmington, MA on 5/25 ($600 Pot / $300 cash & $300 convention credit) MM12a will be a great way to get prepared for what's coming in the rest of Spring and Summer.

As always, we will be running pools and also an Amateur Bracket. That means even if you lose in pools you'll still go onto another event!

Mass Madness 12a
May 10th, 2014

1251 Worcester Road (Route 9)
Framingham, MA

www.game-underground.com
www.facebook.com/groups/NewEnglandMelee
www.twitter.com/MattDotZeb
Fees
Venue Fee | $5*
Melee Doubles | $10 per team
Melee Singles | $10
*venue fee is waived if you bring a TV, Cube/Wii, and SSBM.

Schedule
11:00am | Venue Opens
11:30am | Doubles & Singles Signups Begin
1:00pm | Doubles Bracket Begin
4pm-5pm | Singles Pools Begin
11:00pm | Venue closes

Payouts
Melee Doubles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Melee Singles <32 entrants:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Melee Singles >32 entrants:
1st - 48%
2nd - 22%
3rd - 14%
4th - 8%
5th - 4%
5th - 4%​
General Rules & Procedure

1. 8 minute timer
2. 4 stocks
3. Pause is Off
4. Team Attack is On
5. Items are Off
6. Wobbling is legal
7. Stage Selection
Doubles & Singles:

i. Neutrals – Battlefield, Final Destination, Dreamland64, Yoshi’s Story,
Pokemon Stadium (Doubles Only), Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only)

ii. Counterpicks – Kongo Jungle 64 (Doubles Only), Pokemon Stadium (Singles Only)​

8. Stage Striking – The process of deciding what stage is played first in a set.
i. Rock-Paper-Scissors to determine what who strikes first, or players can agree that port-priority (p1>p2>p3>p4) strikes first. Of the 5 Neutrals the striking order is 1-2-1.​
9. Stage Bans & Counterpicking -
i. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 1 stage. The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage. The winning player is then able to change character or stay the same character. The player who lost can now choose to change their character or stay.
a. A player can choose to play on a stage they have banned if they lose after banning.​

10. Players may agree to play on a stage that is outside the ruleset.
i. Players may not agree to change the timer, the stock count, remove team attack, put on items, or extend the length of their set. (A Best-Of-3 cannot become a Best-Of-5.) If this occurs, the TOs reserve the right to restart the set with the rules listed from 1. – 8.
11. Coaching is banned except for between matches. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (Both the person playing, and the player coaching). Second offenders will be disqualified from the event (Both the person playing, and the person coaching).
12. Dave’s Stupid Rule
i. In a Best-Of-3 or a Best-Of-5 set players are not allowed to select a stage they previously won on. If both players agree to play on a stage that has been played on that is acceptable.​
13. Round Robin Pools
i. A pool is an elimination round prior to a bracket. A pool of 7 players will have all 7 players facing one another in a Best-Of-3 set. An ideal record for the winner is 2-0, and an ideal record for the loser is 1-2.

ii. To determine a player’s placing in a pool checking their Set Win-Loss record and their Match Win-Loss record. The player with the highest Set Win-Loss record is 1st in their pool, and therefore receives a more favorable seed (ranking that determines their first round) in the bracket.
a. A tie occurs when 2 players have the exact same Set Win-Loss record (Ex. 3-3), the same Match Win-Loss record (Ex. 6-6). The step taken to break this is checking who won the set between players in the pool.​

Last edited:
Top Bottom