• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zenith 2012 - Apex 2013 Qualifier!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
We're back and proud to host Zenith 2012! Last year in 2011 we had a great turnout and we're down to hold this for another year which we're hoping will be even bigger and better than last! This, in conjunction with Clash of the Titans 6, will be the best events of the year. Take a look below on some of what's in store.

Contents

• Location and Venue
  • Past Tournament Results
  • Stream
  • Hotel and Travel
  • Prices and Events
  • Schedule
  • Rules
  • Recording and Set-Ups
  • Impulse Circuit

Location and Venue

Holy Trinity Episcopal Church's Parish Hall
90 Leonardine Ave
South River, NJ 08882

Google Maps: maps.google.com

When any of us go to a venue we are just happy to have enough space to walk around. This venue (same as last year) will have not only a lot of space but food! For those who went last year, remember how great it was to go to a venue where they sell food for a decent price. Most sodas were $1 and they had snacks ranging from chips to hot dogs and even pizza! Tell me that is not a great venue for the price of $20 for the weekend.

Not only that but we will be working with the venue to provide some extra goodies like a projector and projector screen so we can make the experience even better!

Past Tournament Results

May 28 & 29, 2011
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=304401

Feb 24th, 2007
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=97773

July 1st, 2007
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=108052

Sept 27-28, 2007
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=118886

Dec 15th, 2007

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=121864
(No Results thread??)

Stream

Our stream is being brought to you by ChiboSempai. He's been streaming the Sudden Death NYC Melee locals for a while now and the quality of his stream has increased each time, and has put in a lot of work to do so.

The stream will be set up with some awesome commentary and interviews throughout the day to get some awesome insight into the Melee community. How is this going to be great for those coming? Come and get a chance to get interviewed by us and become part of a broadcast that only ChiboSempai and company can do!

Prices and Events

Here are the tournament details.

Venue:$20 Singles (two days)
Singles: $10
Doubles: $10 per person

All registration will be taken at the door

Schedule

Day 1

11:00a | You may arrive and signup now
12:00p to 4:00pm | Doubles Bracket
4:00pm – 9:00pm | Singles Pools (16 Pools of 6 Top 3 make it out )
9-10pm | Draft Crews

Day 2
1:00pm | You may arrive now (no earlier)
1:00pm – 5:00pm | Singles Bracket ( 48 man Bracket )

Rules

Melee Ruleset: http://www.apex-series.com/docs/melee_rules_zenith.docx

Project M Ruleset

* 4 stock, 8 minutes. In the case that we are hard pressed for time and don't have enough setups, early bracket matches may be switched to 3 stock, 6 minutes.
* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
* Items set to "off" and "none."

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
* Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick a stage he has won on during the set.

[collapse="Stage rules"]For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1-1-2 fashion. After the 1st match, each player bans a stage group for the remainder of the set (Players may counterpick a stage from the group they banned, and both players may ban the same group). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
Yoshi's Story (Melee)
Fountain of Dreams (singles only)
SSE: Jungle (doubles only)

Counterpicks:
Group 1:
Final Destination
Smashville
Green Hill Zone
Dracula's Castle

Group 2:
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2

Group 3:
Yoshi's Story (Melee)
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Wario Ware
Fountain of Dreams

Group 4:
Dreamland (64)
Skyworld
Rumble Falls
SSE:Jungle (teams only)

Group 5:
Kongo Jungle (64)
Halberd
Brinstar
Metal Cavern (singles only)
Hyrule Temple:M (teams only)[/collapse]

* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can't be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.
* For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.
* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, Kirby/DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Buffer set to off.
* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
* Custom music is allowed as long as it's not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.
* If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.
* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO's discretion.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs' Rising Pound and Mario's Up-B Walljump)
* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn't hold up the next match.
* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

Swag?

I'll be selling stickers and buttons ;) We'll be thinking about other things to give away possibly!

Recording and Set-Ups

We all know how great Zenith will be but did you know that we will also be attempting to record all the bracket matches? Our goal (which we will explain in a moment) is to get everyone who can record TO record. If we can do that we will be able to watch an entire tournament unfold. This will not be for the top players but also those who come just to try and make a name.

How you can help:

Very simple guys we need to be able to have these goals reached for Zenith to be amazing.

• 32 full setups
  • 8 recording setups

This can be done just from the goodness of your hearts but I will also add this. All those who bring TV + Cube/Wii & Melee setups we can use will be given a $10 venue fee discount. All those who bring just a Cube/Wii & Melee setup will be given a $5 venue fee discount. On top of that, we will be entering people who bring equipment into a raffle (we will make it worth your while) for a free mystery gift. If you guys do not know we have raffled off stuff such as T-shirts, portraits, sticker sets, and we have even raffled a free Nintendo 3DS. You'll enjoy what we offer. Do not be lazy, bring equipment! I know some of you have recording equipment but are too lazy to bring it. Stop that laziness and help the community. The more you help the better our tournaments can be.

If you are to bring a setup you need to tell us in advance so we can make sure it is properly taken care of. Send a PM to myself so that I can keep it on file. I'll make another post underneath this one for set-ups. So please post up!!

Hotels

Hey everyone, excited for the event?

I've got a hotel deal for all of you. It's not as cheap as I would hope, but it's a nice hotel and very close to the venue (like 2 miles away I believe), and it's a discount off of their normal price.

Here is the website of the hotel so you can check it out:

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwes...yCode=31064&cm_mmc=PTI-_-local-_-feed-_-31064

The rates I got were $80.99 for Friday night and $107.99 for Saturday night. I was lucky to get this since they said Memorial Day Weekend and the weekend after are their two busiest weekends of the year and normally don't offer discounts. I will however keep looking for more discounts at other hotels nearby, but this is the closest hotel you will find.

In order to get the discounted rate, you must reserve the room over the phone. You can call the hotel at 732-238-4900. When you call, mention "Zenith Game Tournament" to receive the discounted rate. You can choose Friday night, Saturday night, or both.

I'm assuming the rooms are supposed to be for 2 people each, but I personally don't mind if you try to pack in 5+ lol. It'll make the rooms more affordable to split with more people :) Just try to be incognito about it and not make it obvious, but don't blame me if you get caught with too many people, that's on you. Not hard though, I think almost every national tourney hotel room I've been in has had 6+ people lol.

Zenith 2012, like Clash of Titans 6 is apart of the IMPULSE Circuit. This means that the 2 people from Atlantic North that place the highest in singles at Zenith 2012 will be awarded venue fee, singles, and doubles to help them show up to IMPULSE.

If two or more people from the eligible states are tied in placing, the tie breaker is solved by who placed higher in doubles. If this is still a tie, or you teamed with that person, then a 1v1, best 2 out of 3 set will happen between those renaming players, and the winner of that gets the prize.

The winners will be registered automatically. If you wish to give your prize to someone else, then you can simply register for them. Hence we register you, while you pay for your friend when you register them, thus indirectly awarding the prize to whomever you may choose to give it too. Therefore if you can not go to IMPULSE, there is a means of transferring the prize. Failure to attend IMPULSE without transferring the prize, results in the prize going to the next person from the eligible states that placed the highest in singles. Same rules apply for the tie breaker as well.

Other Details?

We will post up a schedule very soon and other details once we figure out everything so stay tune!

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
SET-UP LIST

TV's

Gamecubes/Wiis/Melee

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
Gonna try to make it will be watching the stream since the chances of me getting a ride to sudden death from NJ are slim.

Smashjin

Smash Ace
I'll be at Mass Madness so I'll miss the reveal. But I'd like to make it to this, even though it feels like I just back from Jersey after Apex.

I'll try to make it down for this though.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Updated the OP with info! Will be adding additional info throughout the upcoming weeks.

LLDL

Smash Hero
^ There will definitely be two spacies in the grand finals

If you want any more of Jersey's money, you gon have to learn falco lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom