• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WORLD HOBO=Houston,tx=April 10-12th! go to results thread for pics/vids/results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
WORLD HOBO
------ AKA: WHOBO ------
----------------------------------​

What is a Whobo?

(hō'bō) n. pl. who·bos (or lesser ho·bos)

A whobo is a legendary breed of hobo that leaps and bounds over the endless wastelands of northern Ontario. They came into existence through a freak accident during the great hobo migration of the 1940's when there were just so many hobos, the hobo gang riots were uncontrollable. Many innocent hobos were driven from their native stoops and overpasses, forced to wander endlessly in search of a new home. Once there, they found the harsh conditions unbearable and were forced to mutate to survive. Thus came into being the gibbering madmen known as whobos. Their howls fill the night skies and all who hear them quake in terror. The unfortunate few who wander into their domain never return. And that my friends is the story of why Northern Ontario is sparsely populated to this very day. The whobos.

The other (and more accurate) definition: WHOBO is a three day tournament event in Houston TX held on Easter weekend, April 10th-12th. It's got over 15 different tournaments going on, including 5 Brawl tournaments, SBO qualifiers, Soul Calibur National qualifiers, and over 10 other fighter tournaments. Over 200+ players are guaranteed to attend! Plus, the Brawl tournaments are sponsored to have an extra $1000 added to the 1v1 pot
----------------------------------

ANIME MATSURI!!!!!!!!!!

If you have ever wanted to attend a large scale national tournament, now is the time! This event WILL BE HUGE (we expect 250_ players) and it will be run by MULTIPLE, experienced, delicious TO's (Xyro/TGM/DugFinn)!

There are over 10 fighting game tournaments going on at this event, including the SBO and SoulCalibur National qualifiers, so please check it out, even if you do not play Brawl.

BRAWL event gets an extra $1000 added to the Smash 1v1 pot(it will be divided up between 1st-5th).
PLEASE READ BELOW FOR MORE INFO!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------

Details:

Venue Name: Anime Matsuri @ Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel

Date: April 10th-12th, 2009.

Times and Events: Schedule
Registration for all tournaments starts Friday morning at 9 am April 10th and stops shortly before the tournaments begin. Please CHECK TIMES of the events you want to enter!!!!! When we start an event, we start. If you are not there, too bad. Be on time!

Address: 1601 Lake Robbins Drive The Woodlands, Houston, Texas, United States

Directions: Yahoo maps

Address specifics: This is a super nice hotel. We recommend getting a hotel room with several other players to save money. For phone reservations please call 1-281-367-9797 and reference "ANIME MATSURI" for the special convention rate! If you need directions or ANYTHING AT ALL call Xyro/TGM or DugFinn. We also suggest rooming with Houston Smashers if you don’t get a hotel room. Post if you need crash space.

Fees: To enter the convention and the tournaments, you will be required to have a convention badge. You can purchase a convention badge here: http://houston-scene.com/tournamentregistration.htm and register for the tournaments too. Badges and events can also be bought at the front door.

1v1 - $15 (pre-reg $13)
2v2 - $20 (pre-reg $16)
1v1 ISP - $10 (pre-reg $8)
2v2 ISP - $10 (pre-reg $8)

Pre-registration is not required, but encouraged.
If you have any questions, call DugFinn or Xyro/TGM.

Extra Info:
Xyro/TGM Email: was7x@hotmail.com (make the email subject title "whobo")
Xyro/TGM Phone: 409-692-0697(my name is allan)
Xyro AIM: xyro77
DugFinn phone: 832-472-7165
DugFinn Email: DugFinn@gmail.com (make the email subject title "whobo")

Need more info or help?
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=3302

Tournament Schedule

Friday
3 pm - Capcom vs. SNK 2
4 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2v2 ISP
5 pm - Marvel vs Capcom 2
6 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1 Pools
8 pm - Street Fighter HD Remix
9 pm - Pokemon Battle Revolution

Saturday
11 am - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 2v2
2 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1
4 pm - Naruto EX 3
5 pm - SoulCalibur 4 National Qualifier
6 pm - Fate: Unlimited Codes
7 pm - DBZ Tenkaichi 3
8 pm - Mortal Kombat vs DC
9 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Crews

Sunday
12 pm - Super Smash Bros. Brawl 1v1 ISP
2 pm - Street Fighter 3rd Strike

RULES!!!!!!!!!!

Random/neutral: Smashville, Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi Story, Lylat Cruise

Counter-pick: Frigate Orpheon, Battleship Halberd, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Delfino, Castle Siege, Pirate Ship, Jungle japes, NorFair, Pokemon Stadium 2, Pokemon stadium 1

Banned: Every thing else. If both players agree to play on a banned stage....its ok

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

The PAYOUT for 1vs1
1st=55% +300$ bonus
2nd=20% + 200$ bonus
3rd=10% + 100$ bonus
4th=5% + 100$ bonus
5th=5% + 100$ bonus(there are two 5th place spots)

The PAYOUT for 2vs2
1st=60%
2nd=30%
3rd=10%

General rules:

3 Stock
7 minute timer
Items are set to "off" and "none"

All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)

In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

I reserve the right to film ANY and EVERY match i want. I also allow ANYONE to do the same.

::Banned Techs::

DeDeDe's Infinite grab. You must release(throw away) after 5 consecutive grabs. CHaracters that are effected: mario/luigi/samus/dk/ddd/bowser

MetaKnights cape glitch.

Infinite release grabs(marth, wario.....ect). You must release(throw away/smash) after 5 consecutive grabs.

Infinite wall grabs. You must release(throw away/smash/release to re-grab) after 5 consecutive grabs.

Bowser and Ganondorf suicide grabs result in a win for those two characters.

Stalling is banned*

*Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling. Stalling will be permitted up to 5 seconds, after that you will lose your match. Plainking is a perfect example. If i see it, you WILL lose your ENTIRE SET. No warnings! Play, don’t gay.

Example of things that will get you a DQ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4jYJ-Yjf3w

PS: Other than SSBB, there are a MULTITUDE of things going on at WORLD HOBO!

Artist Alley= drawings/art having to do with anime

Tabe Top games= D&D/War Hammer......ect

AMV Contest

Cosplay Contest

Planet Zero arcade

Dealers= they sell anime stuff

Live Action Role Play

Card Gaming= pokeman/yugiman/digiman/magic the gathering man.....ect

Video Showings= anime that has or never will be released in the US

*Texas ShowDown= the biggest 2d fighting game tournament in texas

Import Reactor= Import car show

**J-pop Concert= A famous J-pop band will will arrive from japan and give a performance at this convention(i dont know the band name....sorry)

Maid Cafe= REAL(lol) french maids in a cafe serving you food/drinks........neat?

*at The Texas ShowDown room, the winner of the SF4 tournament will face the ABSOLUTE best players from japan as the "final boss"....yes we brought them all the way from japan to be at the convention.

**Right be for the J-pop band starts thier music, the GRAND FINALS of SF4 will be played on MASSIVE MASSIVE(almost theater size) screens. When its over, the J-pop band will come out and play thier music while smoke and lights pour out of the stage......

Xyro Edit: i went to a meeting today at the hotel. It seems they are expecting a RECORD breaking year this year. They EXPECT a little over 7000 people to attend this convention. I personally expect between 400-500 SSBB players(3/4 of them will be random anime n00bs who dont know **** about brawl) so please be very very forgiving if things are not speedy. This may be a new world record for smash and i am VERY excited about this. No matter what happens, this event WILL be complete in the 3 days it is given AND you people will get paid your money like promised.

Xyro Edit 2: Ultimate Razer did some quick math(hes is still in 3rd grade so it may be wrong) and he has determined that if 500 smashers enter the tournament the payout for 1st place will be at 4525$.....good or bad?

Sky bridge(from the outside its a green hallway suspended in the air over the street) is upstairs and that is the ONLY place where you can get your badge and get into the convention.

The NINJA ROOM is where the smash events weill be held. Please get there ASAP.

if you have any questions, post

Sudai

Stuff here
HypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHype

Hype

HypeHype

HypeHypeHypeHypeHypeHype

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I'm running the clock at all of those stupid stages you have on, Xyro. No explanations should be necessary and none will work. If you can't see that those stages have absolutely no place in competitive play on your own, then nothing will convince you.

Btw, wouldn't distributing that $1000 across the whole pot be a lot more fair? You realize it's just going to go to Mew2King, right? >_>;

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Will you actually do that in tourney sets though? I mean serious ones? <___<

Having other regions presence is good enough :p

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Umm.... I was hoping you'd actually post the actual ruleset from the Houston thread. That way everyone is clear on it.....

I'll get back to helping you clean up the first post later.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I'm running the clock at all of those stupid stages you have on, Xyro. No explanations should be necessary and none will work. If you can't see that those stages have absolutely no place in competitive play on your own, then nothing will convince you.

Btw, wouldn't distributing that $1000 across the whole pot be a lot more fair? You realize it's just going to go to Mew2King, right? >_>;
I will cheer you on in all those matches.

I also agree that the 1000 dollars should be spread across at least a top 5 payout, like 200 a piece.

Xyro77

Yeah.

If you pick Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, Jungle Japes, etc., prepare to have the most unfun tournament match of your life.

no worries ill be al over your matches seeing if u stall the clock. remember, if u stall you lose the set. so plz dont complain when u have been warned in the rules and by me.

rules will be posted in sec

Sybawave

Smash Ace
So what's the jackpot for the SSBM tournament?

And I am telling everyone about this tournament XD (at least all the SSBM players) and let's try not to hate on each other this time...

Xyro77

hey i heard you got into a crash is everything cool?

still going to genesis?

if i make enough monies i will go to this
yea im good though. it just will cost alot of money to repair what was broken since insurance wont cover it. I will try to go to genesis.

if u could go to to world hobo i will try and get you housing. i only want people to rent out hotels as a last resort.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I really do hope the $1000 is just added to the pot normally. Giving it all to first is just giving it all to one person who is basically guaranteed to win. Sorry, but that's boring/lame, imo, even though he's my friend. Other communities don't have a God like him...

no worries ill be al over your matches seeing if u stall the clock. remember, if u stall you lose the set. so plz dont complain when u have been warned in the rules and by me.

rules will be posted in sec
I'm going to run the clock. It's a perfectly legit strategy and your fault for allowing luck-based and campy stages. This is competitive gaming. I will play to win and abuse your own unfit stages. I'm not going to excessively stall the ledge or anything else you can DQ me for. I'm just going to run the clock and make the experience very unpleasurable for anyone that picks such stages against me.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
What are all the stages your complaining about inui? Just those 3 you listed in one of your earlier post?

Inui

Banned via Warnings
What are all the stages your complaining about inui? Just those 3 you listed in one of your earlier post?
Xyro said:
Counter-pick: Luigi Mansion, Frigate Orpheon, Battleship Halberd, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Delfino, Castle Siege, Pirate Ship, Pictochat, Jungle japes, Corneria, Nofair, Yoshi island(pipes), Green Greens, Pokemon Stadium 2, Pokemon Stadium 1.
The ones in bold have no place in competitive play. Playing on such stages when skill matters and money is on the line makes absolutely no sense. It has been explained repeatedly to Xyro, but he doesn't understand. I'll just have to show Texas myself when I'm there.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I see. I dont like those stages either. I dont mind coneria and norfair much, I never pick them though.. So when we play, there shouldnt be a problem =]

DugFinn

Smash Apprentice
I really do hope the $1000 is just added to the pot normally.
Aghhhh, Inu, it is being added to the pot normally and from there evenly split into the top spots. I'll make Xyro fix the first post (I was planning on doing that anyways). Give it a day or so to get fixed.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, don't worry about me picking those stages. When I say they have absolutely no place in competitive play and shouldn't exist, I mean it. I'd much rather win by actually being better than just being luckier.

@DF: Cool.

M2K and I should be there. Atomsk probably can't come because he's a high school student with already abysmal attendance.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
This should hot.

Friday is no school though and you don't need to stay for Sunday since its only ISP.

You sure he can't attend? :(

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Hype hype hype.

I can't wait for this. :)

Infinitysmash

Smash Champion
@ stage johns - If you stall you'll get called on it, yo. We haven't had any problems with the stage set so far and I don't really see what the problem is. Being competitive and being a jerk are not the same thing and I know that personally I'd really appreciate it if you didn't go out of your way to ruin it for everyone dude.

Also: I like how you brought attention to Corneria, Green Greens and Pictochat but not to Luigi's Mansion. Luigi's is notorious for taking a long time to finish matches on and there are more broken tricks you can do on that stage alone than you can on those other stages put together dude. Not that I have a problem with Luigi's Mansion since it's one of my favorites, but it is kind of ironic that the (logically) most problematic stage was ignored.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
@ stage johns - If you stall you'll get called on it, yo. We haven't had any problems with the stage set so far and I don't really see what the problem is. Being competitive and being a jerk are not the same thing and I know that personally I'd really appreciate it if you didn't go out of your way to ruin it for everyone dude.

Also: I like how you brought attention to Corneria, Green Greens and Pictochat but not to Luigi's Mansion. Luigi's is notorious for taking a long time to finish matches on and there are more broken tricks you can do on that stage alone than you can on those other stages put together dude. Not that I have a problem with Luigi's Mansion since it's one of my favorites, but it is kind of ironic that the (logically) most problematic stage was ignored.
If you pick one of those stages, I will ruin it for you and make you have the most boring tournament match of your life. It will be your fault for picking such an unfair and stupid stage and I'll make you regret it. Just don't pick them if you don't want to be camped forever. I know loopholes to avoid being DQed.

I forgot to mention Luigi's Mansion. It's really unfair because it's like Hyrule Temple and the stage practically begs you to run the clock.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
If you pick one of those stages, I will ruin it for you and make you have the most boring tournament match of your life. It will be your fault for picking such an unfair and stupid stage and I'll make you regret it. Just don't pick them if you don't want to be camped forever. I know loopholes to avoid being DQed.

I forgot to mention Luigi's Mansion. It's really unfair because it's like Hyrule Temple and the stage practically begs you to run the clock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujLvRh_4JHQ

That is all

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion

How about you just learn the **** stage, and know what to do and what not to do? The loser of the first match is given an advantage by being able to pick stage they do well on and their opponent might not know much about.

Someone isn't gonna counterpick Luigi's Mansion just to run the clock on you and hope they get lucky. They will counterpick it because their character has certain setups and advantages on the stage. For example, Lucario and ROB do terrible on Green Greens. None of the stages on the CP list award players for being "lucky", so I don't know what your talking about when you say that. You need skill to play on counterpick stages, they aren't like normal stages obviously.

Learn the stages before you start whining about how unfair and stupid they are. Your acting like WarioWare is on the list. Go ahead though, take the risk of being DQ'd, i'll laugh my *** off if you do.

EDIT: Luigis mansion is a GOOD METAKNIGHT stage, so that shows how much you know about your characters counterpick stages. Honestly, i think your just worried about losing to another Sonic or something again.

Xyro77

inui is right, too many gay stages. LOL @ luigi's gayest stage ever.
deal with it

I really do hope the $1000 is just added to the pot normally. Giving it all to first is just giving it all to one person who is basically guaranteed to win. Sorry, but that's boring/lame, imo, even though he's my friend. Other communities don't have a God like him...

I'm going to run the clock. It's a perfectly legit strategy and your fault for allowing luck-based and campy stages. This is competitive gaming. I will play to win and abuse your own unfit stages. I'm not going to excessively stall the ledge or anything else you can DQ me for. I'm just going to run the clock and make the experience very unpleasurable for anyone that picks such stages against me.

so u openly admit u will run the clock...........so when i DQ u, i will make copies of this post for people to see. unlike your neck of the woods, i make sure my events go as fair as possible. and i ALWAYS do what i want. so plz, run the clock, but be sure your timing is PERFECT, if your even half a millisecond over 5 seconds of clock running(and its obvious clock running) ill shut the wii off myself and DQ you with great joy.

watch your self.

i saw all the tornado trash. my advice, meta ditto or ban the stage from the foe.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
stalling is fairly subjective, and things that cannot be clearly defined in a ruleset don't belong in there in the first place.

Stalling should only be banned when a player has reached a position that makes it impossible for his opponent to reach him, either at all (like Sonic going under the stage with his neutral B) or without suffering death (Like the peach bomber stall in Melee). Or stuff like IDC.

If someone is not getting hit for a minute is it stalling?

How about 2 minutes? Should he get dq'd then?

If you set it at 2 minutes then the next best tactic is stalling for 1 minute and 59 seconds.

Xyro, you really ought to read Playing to Win.

www.sirlin.net

EDIT: and for anyone that thinks these kinds of rules don't affect anything, think about MANY of the close matches at FS5 and how different they would have gone if these rules were in effect.

DMG would have beaten Razer because Razer would have been DQ'd, Espy wouldn't have beaten Melee1 because he ran the clock 2 minutes on Rainbow Cruise. With a character like Sonic, often times running the clock IS his best tatic because he lacks kill power and priority.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I think maybe we should have like 3 people come and watch the match if one of the players is accusing there opponent of serious stalling. (Not like what razer did to DMG.) And if two of the 3 agree that he/she is stalling, then DQ or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom