• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Relativity of Moves- Forget the Olde Way of Thinking

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
In Super Smash Brothers 64 there were no spot dodges, or airdodges.
Your only defensive moves were shielding and rolling.

This put more emphasis on people's ability to out-prioritize or land attacks before the enemy could respond.

In SSBM they introduced the spot dodge and the airdodge.
The spot dodge gave you a defensive action against single strikes, while the shield was required for moves that came in quick succession. Multi-hit type attacks.
The airdodge left you highly vulnerable and was much more situational than it is in brawl.
So coming back down on the stage meant having an attack that out prioritizes your enemy from below. So ultimately characters could be judged on concrete things like attack rate or priority.

Trying to understand Sakurai's intentions, I've come to the conclusion that he has changed smash brothers since its creation so that emphasis is not dominantly on speed or priority. Or on definite measurable qualities.

He has allowed multiple air dodges with a floatier system that stops verbatim combos from bringing success.

In a system where one move will hit, simply because the move before it hit meant that certain combos were possible, and interpretation was not important.

Sure there are subtleties to DI and moments when you can counter attack out of combos. I'm not painting a black and white picture about what melee was. I'm saying that its focus was more toward strings of combos that won't end until the game's physics allows them to end. Given that the player moves flawlessly.

In this system there is a combo that will be discovered and known by the community, and whether or not you have the dexterity to accomplish this combo determines who threatening you are (TO SOME DEGREE). I must constantly remind you that I am a great fan of melee. Years of my life went into that game and I have the utmost respect for it. That being said, the nature of it's combos remind me more of guitar hero than an interpretive experience.

In guitar hero you either hit or miss the note. Your skill as a player depends on how well you conform to the physical input that is needed.

Now let's look at brawl. My favorite smash brothers. I feel at this point that if anybody denies the value of this game, and puts it below melee, doesn't truly understand this game.

SSBB is like a complex game of rock-paper-scissors.
There are situations in which you will have multiple choices.

Balancing these choices is important.

Every move can only be used safely if it has an alternate option.

For instance:

zair to running upsmash.

the upsmash can be dodged on the spot. If people predict me correctly they'll dodge it everytime.

but if I come in with a zair to a jump-cancelled up special, their dodge will be pointless as I spin throughout a long enough duration to catch them after the dodge.

The reason why the zair to upsmash is possible is because of the zair to upB.

Make sense?

The move can only exist in context of your style.

It must be balanced. Moves are only relative to other moves.

It is the difference in properties of each move that make them worth anything.

Options options options! Options are more important than speed or priority.

This is how style can come into play. Frequencies of use inform the enemy's choices and change their reactions.

By repeating moves or changing moves we can play with the mind of our enemy.

You can't only throw scissors every time.

It is only because you can throw rock or paper, that scissors is possible.

here is a comment I posted in a thread by Impactar

TL Mains' Experience & Mindset

thechene:

hmmmmmm

i see the entire game like quantum physic's idea of alternate dimensions with alternate outcomes.

Or like the pathway of neuron activity.

Each neuron being connected to the next neuron in it's path. Each neuron has a certain number of synapses it could cross that would lead to another neuron with its own new set of synapses.

In any given situation there are MANY options. If you think in an unbiased way...in any situation, every single button input or combination of input could be pressed.

Some result in punishment. Some result in a neutral outcome that effects very little directly. And some may punish the opponent.

When we learn the game, we try moves somewhat randomly, until we find one that gives us good results, like you were talking about. Once we learn it we build off of it. It is our path of learning. The structure of your fighting style is built off of it.

People often put more emphasis on the NEXT option in their style. Rather than OTHER options to substitute in their already existing style.

I'm sure a balanced approach is important. And it sound like so far you completely know what I'm talking about.

But what happens with all people, is diversity must be forced upon our habits. There must be a catalyst that changes our repetitive behavior. At some point, that catalyst becomes YOU. I believe that is a form of enlightenment. When you teach yourself rather than being just an animal which is conditioned.

Now for my real point:

Brawl is more about evaluating your opponent than any smash brothers in the series thus far. It is more about remembering your enemy's situational choices. And you do find they are in fact repetitive.

So instead of evaluating moves based on the physics of the game: priority/attack speed/knockback/damage/duration/effect...etc

we should really note that the most important quality in all of your moves is that they are hopefully different.

Because in a game of ever-developing strategies, where people learn their opponents, MORE bad options are just simply better than few GOOD options.

So the better the fighters ability to truly diversify, and learn the vast possibilities of himself and his opponent, the better his chance of winning.

Ever notice beginners luck in smash brothers? Somebody untrained and new being difficult to fight for the simple fact that they are unpredictable and show no obvious patterns?

If you truly can widen your mind around all the possibilities, and have all that information calculating in your brain simultaneously, you'd be a very good player.

It's almost like memory width...if that makes any sense at all. lol

Intentions are so easy to read. People who always want to hurt limit their possibilities in philosophy. People predict intentions.

What you must do is constantly shift your intentions. Don't always try to capitalize.
Try to diversify.

It's such a fascinating game. It exposes the way we perceive and learn. People become discouraged by certain moves, or have perceptions of it that can be filtered through your play style.

They are learning you from fighting you. Which means what you do influences what they learn.
So that means you have control over what they learn. You can choose what to condition them to believe. And when you can play on that level, you have what people think is amazing prediction, but what you've really done, is crafted their attack patterns.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It makes sense. Good read. I liked the whole neuron comparison. Very nice.

Also thats also why I loved your Zair to Up-B thing. I tried going with Dtilt (I usually go with a tilt) after Zair sometimes because its fast in succession and can be done sorta in a "mult-hitting" fashion. I never thought of Up-B just because its a punishable move in general. The only downside to it is that it COULD be DI'd out of, even if they don't see it coming (just the last few hits after the dodge, so the chances of succeeding are high).

Most players do usually go with the same things and only alter their style for the sake of altering it, or if someone catches on. It should always be changing.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Interesting read, I liked it. I always thought Brawl was a bit more like chess than most fighting games.

But I understand what you mean about conditioning your opponent. Most of us do that to at least a small extent. Once we've gotten nearly as good with our character as we're going to get, what comes next is relearning the character, and changing your own playstyle at will. This is hard to get used to in the heat of battle, but if you want to get better, it's what you should do.

It's also the good/bad thing about wifi...bad thing is that lag suxxorz, good (kind of) thing is that you train yourself to read your opponent even earlier than you would offline.

sasukebowservaporeon said:
It makes scene
LRN 5 SPELL

VietGeek

Smash Hero
This brings in an interesting topic to discuss.

For those who don't like to read, the text above instates something like, eh, follow ups and set-ups, and deviations are relative to each other. Patterns are natural tendencies in the human mind, an attempt to exploit ease, simple structure, and human "efficiency."

This mentality for patterns is instead a flawed mentality due to the nature of this game. It suggests instead that we learn the relationship of moves to others, using a bit of that mentality to organize and structure, to create unpredictability and to prevent us from being read.

Very simply put, it asks you to mix it up and to check your options, to find the options that stack up to each other well and to mix it up variedly enough to prevent you from being predictable.

This is somewhat strays away from the mentality of: "Don't fix what isn't broken." Naturally, it means that if Zair -> Nair works every time for me (it doesn't anymore by the way, everyone gets wow'd by Zair initially, but they soon find patterns in my play w/ Toon Link that are singular, easy to decipher, and usually force me to use my main, to avoid the flaw that plagues me as TL), than that means I would have a tendency to use it as often as possible until the opponent catches on to it, only then should I need to mix it up and create a new obstacle for my foe to break through.

Thechene suggests that one should present a new obstacle for the foe as much as possible to summarize in a sentence. The flaw is that some 'obstacles' are more easily defeated than others.

While the "Don't fix what isn't broke" mentality suggest to create constant hurdles until your foe can surpass one, only to bring forth another when necessary. The flaw here is that predictability forces your hand in an more impromptu way. You may not be able to create a better strategy from your last, and enforces the foe to find a pattern in your play. Yet if they cannot, they will surely lose, but Thechene's mentality has similar holes, in the fact that some options will still outweigh others. Your foe will try to analyze your best option, and try to overcome it, but if your intentions are even weaker than your optimal, he may grab the lead.

It's debatable then, how one should play. It is difficult to assess. The game itself is boring to watch due to the fact that it is simply more like chess. It is a strategy game with the properties of a fighting game. I have to honestly say I cannot bear to watch Brawl videos, but the players themselves are in constant mental warfare with one another.

So which mentality is better? Are they even? Does it depend? How can one assess which is superior to the other anyway?

So many questions, but they are more easily presented than answered.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
For those who don't like to read, blah blah blah blah blah
XD

Just kidding.

sasukebowsermudkip said:
NOO!! DX
That was the first option with the computer spell check and i just went with it cuz i was in ta hurry >_>
Ok. Who uses spell check, though? O_o
Didjuh like the random pokemon I added to your name, like I promised I would?

By the way, I forgot to mention that it's clear that Meta Knight players have a better mentality than the rest of us.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
XD
Didjuh like the random pokemon I added to your name, like I promised I would?
yessss
Wait
He herd I lyke him? D=
Dammit, now he knows.

On a serious note: We should just list all the (somewhat useful at least ) possibilities after each move. It would probably help with mixing up our play styles.
And Zair would be the most important most in the topic.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
This brings in an interesting topic to discuss.

For those who don't like to read, the text above instates something like, eh, follow ups and set-ups, and deviations are relative to each other. Patterns are natural tendencies in the human mind, an attempt to exploit ease, simple structure, and human "efficiency."

This mentality for patterns is instead a flawed mentality due to the nature of this game. It suggests instead that we learn the relationship of moves to others, using a bit of that mentality to organize and structure, to create unpredictability and to prevent us from being read.

Very simply put, it asks you to mix it up and to check your options, to find the options that stack up to each other well and to mix it up variedly enough to prevent you from being predictable.

This is somewhat strays away from the mentality of: "Don't fix what isn't broken." Naturally, it means that if Zair -> Nair works every time for me (it doesn't anymore by the way, everyone gets wow'd by Zair initially, but they soon find patterns in my play w/ Toon Link that are singular, easy to decipher, and usually force me to use my main, to avoid the flaw that plagues me as TL), than that means I would have a tendency to use it as often as possible until the opponent catches on to it, only then should I need to mix it up and create a new obstacle for my foe to break through.

Thechene suggests that one should present a new obstacle for the foe as much as possible to summarize in a sentence. The flaw is that some 'obstacles' are more easily defeated than others.

While the "Don't fix what isn't broke" mentality suggest to create constant hurdles until your foe can surpass one, only to bring forth another when necessary. The flaw here is that predictability forces your hand in an more impromptu way. You may not be able to create a better strategy from your last, and enforces the foe to find a pattern in your play. Yet if they cannot, they will surely lose, but Thechene's mentality has similar holes, in the fact that some options will still outweigh others. Your foe will try to analyze your best option, and try to overcome it, but if your intentions are even weaker than your optimal, he may grab the lead.

It's debatable then, how one should play. It is difficult to assess. The game itself is boring to watch due to the fact that it is simply more like chess. It is a strategy game with the properties of a fighting game. I have to honestly say I cannot bear to watch Brawl videos, but the players themselves are in constant mental warfare with one another.

So which mentality is better? Are they even? Does it depend? How can one assess which is superior to the other anyway?

So many questions, but they are more easily presented than answered.

I am encouraging the mastery of diversity. However, the frequency of move usage should not all be equal.

Certain moves play certain rolls, those rolls can be organized into a hierarchy of sequence.

Diversity in itself is not the key to winning though.

Understanding diversity, but then using patterns to condition and predict the opponent.

For instance, If I poke the edge of my zair at a safe distance I can then immediately threaten with a Nair. Whether or not each hit doesn't matter because I am able to float safely away to a landing arrow.

Even if NONE of these moves land, they are a sequence of moves that safely force the opponent to defend/react.

By using safe pokes like this you can condition people to respond in certain ways. They want to develop past defending the chain of attacks so they begin to evaluate your pattern and learn how to counter it.

And just when you know they're aware of every aspect of the safe poke you change your game. (Even being aware of TLs safe pokes can do little to punish him for it. The pokes themselves aren't to rack up damage. They are to pressure and condition the opponent.

When you teach them how to react it's easy to know how they're going to react. Especially when you've done it a thousand times to many different people.

So if you find multiple safe pokes you can repeat them to control their expectations.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I'll kind of agree with what you say. But the truth is in all fighting games there was always rock-paper-scissor.

Melee simply was based more on offense. The rock-paper-scissor aspect of it came more from the priority of moves and how to attack with it. For exampled, I mained Link in Melee. His sex kick is really good and with his gravity it works out well. Take him against Samus in Melee. Samus has a stronger sex kick, but Link generally has an upper hand sex kick vs sex kick because his mobility allows him to use it better against Samus than vice versa. Samus then has to guess to come at the sex kick with a Dair from above or Uair from blow. Now Link has to guess and use Uair or Dair.

I'll admit when I thought about how the successor of Melee should be, I generally though they needed to put more defense and take some out of offense. And that's exactly what they did. But I feel like they put too much emphasis on defense and took too much out of offense.

In Brawl, there is more of an emphasis on putting a defensive game into the rock-paper-scissor. Power shield is easier to perform, but in a match up it tend to feel too random which I think is crap. Someone who plans to block and grab and aerial would win because:

1. Done correctly, power shield to grab would have more speed than an auto-cancel aerial to any follow up. Unless you're MK.
  2. Done incorrectly, if the power shield connects and they grab, even if you hit them, if the grab connects it has priority and will not knock knock them back.

I rather them had taken power shields out. It hinders characters power characters like Ike who relies on push back on shields. Dodges should of simply been the only other option if you don't want shield and get push back.

Stuns of any kind are constant despite damage making combos difficult and escaping combos easy. This hinders characters who have the ability to rack up damage, yet have limited kill options. TL anyone.

You have to be a character who can punish extremely well. That's why the tier list is the way it is. MK is way faster than the rest of the cast so hard to punish and can come at you like a mad main. Snake is extremely too strong for his speed. DDD and Falco can chain grab. I genuinely only really see G&W, ROB, Marth, and DK up there because they are "balanced" good characters.

I'd also like to add that priority is funky in Brawl. Jabs and smashes have the same priority? Come on! Another factor that hinders power characters. It should be that a fast character can interrupt them before the moves come out and a power character needs to time and space himself. I don't care if I'm TL and jabbing. If Ganondorf dash attacks me he should go through the jabs and connect.

Every fighting games are going to have it's imbalances. I know that. IMO, I just think Nintendo was on the right track, but over did it, took out some good aspects, and really missed some balance issues (Snake's Utilt, WTF?!).

Don't get me wrong. Brawl is a great game. However, I personally would still put Brawl below Melee because IMHO Melee was simply a funner game and that's what a game is about. But you have to move on to keep up with the times.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Poor George got ***** by Anonymous's Snake. xD

At least George's tag is 'Geo', it may be an impostor. =O

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
I'll kind of agree with what you say. But the truth is in all fighting games there was always rock-paper-scissor.

Melee simply was based more on offense. The rock-paper-scissor aspect of it came more from the priority of moves and how to attack with it. For exampled, I mained Link in Melee. His sex kick is really good and with his gravity it works out well. Take him against Samus in Melee. Samus has a stronger sex kick, but Link generally has an upper hand sex kick vs sex kick because his mobility allows him to use it better against Samus than vice versa. Samus then has to guess to come at the sex kick with a Dair from above or Uair from blow. Now Link has to guess and use Uair or Dair.

I'll admit when I thought about how the successor of Melee should be, I generally though they needed to put more defense and take some out of offense. And that's exactly what they did. But I feel like they put too much emphasis on defense and took too much out of offense.

In Brawl, there is more of an emphasis on putting a defensive game into the rock-paper-scissor. Power shield is easier to perform, but in a match up it tend to feel too random which I think is crap. Someone who plans to block and grab and aerial would win because:

1. Done correctly, power shield to grab would have more speed than an auto-cancel aerial to any follow up. Unless you're MK.
  2. Done incorrectly, if the power shield connects and they grab, even if you hit them, if the grab connects it has priority and will not knock knock them back.

I rather them had taken power shields out. It hinders characters power characters like Ike who relies on push back on shields. Dodges should of simply been the only other option if you don't want shield and get push back.

Stuns of any kind are constant despite damage making combos difficult and escaping combos easy. This hinders characters who have the ability to rack up damage, yet have limited kill options. TL anyone.

You have to be a character who can punish extremely well. That's why the tier list is the way it is. MK is way faster than the rest of the cast so hard to punish and can come at you like a mad main. Snake is extremely too strong for his speed. DDD and Falco can chain grab. I genuinely only really see G&W, ROB, Marth, and DK up there because they are "balanced" good characters.

I'd also like to add that priority is funky in Brawl. Jabs and smashes have the same priority? Come on! Another factor that hinders power characters. It should be that a fast character can interrupt them before the moves come out and a power character needs to time and space himself. I don't care if I'm TL and jabbing. If Ganondorf dash attacks me he should go through the jabs and connect.

Every fighting games are going to have it's imbalances. I know that. IMO, I just think Nintendo was on the right track, but over did it, took out some good aspects, and really missed some balance issues (Snake's Utilt, WTF?!).

Don't get me wrong. Brawl is a great game. However, I personally would still put Brawl below Melee because IMHO Melee was simply a funner game and that's what a game is about. But you have to move on to keep up with the times.
powershielding is one of the only things characters with no projectiles can do against campers. making it harder or taking it out would make powershielding spam very difficult, and hurt approach.

You can powershield and run between powershields pretty **** fast, faster than anybody can throw things.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193918

here is a thread on frame data. What you should pay attention to is the hit lag and the shield stun.

The stun of the shield is longer than the hit lag.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I have to disagree with Power Shielding being the only, if not one of the few, things non projectile characters can do against spammer. There are still other qualities of each character have that adequately helps against spammers.

MK aside, characters like G&W, Wario, DK, Lucario, and Marth still made it to top/high tier with no or weak spam game. They simply got a good offense. DDD, IC, and Kirby are there because have good grab punishment. Diddy, ROB, and Pikachu has a good mix game. Snake just too strong hence good punishment. Falco has good grab game. His projectile is probably THE projectile that Power Shield really shows you need to go against.

That was a good thread you set me, but when you look at the data, even with TL quickest moves there are disadvantage frames where the opponent can attack in between.

Zair being the fastest recovery with only -1 frame disadvantage. If you take in account TL fastest attack hit frame from the Jab which is 8, that's a total of 9 frames from Zair => Jab that your opponent can counter attack.

Granted it's a small window, but this just make grabbing safer along with quick moves spammed out of shield. Power Shield just makes it even easier.

Characters who probably need Power Shield is probably Ganon and Bowser. But it hurts them more than help because every character and do it they are the ones that hits hard and have lag and need shield stun to push their opponents away so it's harder to punish them when their attack is shielded. If anything I would say Power Shield at least should be exclusive to power characters.

There are other issues with the game. I'm not simply saying taking out Power Shielding and Hit Stun would make the game better. I'm saying how it is now isn't quite balanced with the other things in the game. Even if you take it out completely now it makes MK's speed harder to punish and Snake's tilts extremely hard to punish. Perhaps if you adjust certain characters' speed, power, and exploits then Power Shields and Hit Stuns are fine as is.

I'm just saying my thought on Power Shields and Hit Stun. Those aren't really my major beefs. My major beefs would be more character specific like weakening Snake's Utilt power, MK's speed, Falco's Lasers, and chain grabs and characters like Ganon and Bowser should of had a little more speed. If anything character balancing is the priority in fighting games. Balancing, however, a fighting game is difficult so I'll give that to Nintendo.

That's my opinion.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Poor George got ***** by Anonymous's Snake. xD

At least George's tag is 'Geo', it may be an impostor. =O
Yeah that was George, I'm guessing you've heard of him...

strange that you know him better than I do o_o I'm a Kirby and I didn't hear about him until they were nominating people for the top 10 Kirbys

Top Bottom