• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~The Psychology of Competitive Smash~ *UPDATED 1/11/09*

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
The Psychology of Smash

Any player can manipulate and control the opps emotions.
Good players are good at inflicting emotions on others and being invulnerable to any attempts to do the same from the opp.

Always acknowledge that yur opp may be susceptible to emotional manipulation, and that you too will (hopefully on rare occasions) give in to you’re inner cave man and get angry and go aggro on your opp. Don’t get mad at yourself when you do. That’s stupid. Why would anyone get mad at themselves given all the hate and stress people get from everyone else these days?! When you let yourself be human and give in to emotions, trust yourself. Go out there and trust yourself. Get out there and do it. Don’t hesitate to do what you gotta do. As the great Jedi Master Yoda himself once said, “Do or do not. There is no try.”

Here’s your guide on emotions, states of mind, and other stuff that you might want to know.

Happiness (success)-
Definition: a feeling of contentment and satisfaction accompanied by success.

What?: When does a smasher feel happy/satisfied? When they get what they wanted! That is natural. Success does not only accompany “winning a lot of matches.” Success can come from anything like chain grabbing your opp or stage spiking them. Nothing feels better than winning (in a serious setting where everyone is playing to win). Don’t lie to yourself. You know you really want to win.

So What?: Feeling successful is important for obvious reasons we don’t have to spell-out here. Experiencing multiple instances of success makes you “feel good” in layman’s terms. Everyone knows you play better when you feel good; as a direct result of having a lower stress level and better concentration. The best way to do this is winning, duh.
But if your not winning, you can turn the tables and change your mindset by forcing yourself to remember times when you kicked someone’s a$$ or just completely tricked them into doing something stupid. We don’t believe in lying to ourselves by saying “I may have lost 50 in a row, but I am the best in the whole world!” That does more damage to your psyche when you lose that 51st round. Just think back on a rough match you had and how you tapped into your inner “something” and won the match. Remember that feeling and believe that even if you lost 50 rounds, you are still the same person that did that amazing feat against that one opponent two days ago, remember? The time when you spiked Metaknight with Olimar? Yeah! You’re still that person! So stay positive whenever you can. ^_^

Disappointment (not success)-

Definition: a feeling of sadness or frustration because something was not as good, or satisfactory as expected, or because something hoped for did not happen.

What?: Disappointment is about not meeting your expectations. When you go to a tourney and expect to place in the top 8, you are disappointed when you don’t. Anytime you don’t have success, there is room for disappointment. Again, nothing is more disappointing than losing, no matter how hard you try to convince yourself otherwise.

So What?: Sure you learn the most from battles you lost, but we all still prefer to win (ironic, I guess no one cares much about learning). Disappointment is like alcohol, it’s not the worst intoxicant but it frequently leads to other, worse, drugs. When you don’t experience success, it’s up to you whether or not you want to be disappointed. If you choose to be disappointed, be careful what you do with that emotion. You can choose to use it as incentive to drive you harder and make you practice even more (that’s a positive output) or you can let it eat at you and slowly ruin your whole gameplay (that’s a negative output ^_^) Or you could have just chosen not to be disappointed in the first place (to be discussed below) but that’s harder to do.

Confidence (smooth and cool)-
Definition: a belief or assurance in your ability to succeed, due to evidence of success or other factors.

What?: You are confident when you are in control. If you have placed 1st in every tourney for 2 months in a row, you will become a confident player. But previous evidence of success is not the only way to gain confidence. You can be losing a match, but if you see your opp show even the slightest display of hesitation you can use that as a reason to start playing confidently. Even if things seem to be going bad, keep an eye out for good signs and use them to boost your confidence. You see, you don’t need a reason to play confidently, you can just decide to be confident for the heck of it. That’s called self control and it’s important.

So What?: Good players will tell you to play with confidence. That’s what separates the men from the boys. You can know all the advanced techniques and years of experience, but if don’t play with confidence, knowing that you are the best cuz you are, you won’t get far. If you see someone playing boringly and with no flavor, chances are they aren’t being too confident. Confidence is the Chemical X that all pro’s have. There’s a difference between confidence and arrogance.

Arrogance (choppy and not cool)-
Definition: a strong feeling of self-assurance that is expressed by treating others with disregard or lack of respect.

What?: Somewhat similar play style as a confident player, but the emotion is COMPLETELY diff. Arrogance is about thinking you’re good and unstoppable, so no safety precautions are taken. It’s all attacks and, when applicable, flashy stuff. Arrogance can be part of someone’s natural personality, or it can be induce on them. An arrogant person’s mindset is: “Im so awesome. I don’t even have to try with this guy!” Almost always, they are not fully concentrated on the game cuz they’re “too good to try on you.”

So What?: If your opp thinks they don’t have to try to think against you, they are setting themselves up for a great disappointment in the event that they lose. Assuming there’s a 50% chance of winning or losing for both players, the arrogant layer is at a great risk of demoralizing himself and embarrassing himself if he loses. Confident players do not try to hurt their opp’s feelings. Arrogant people do. So when they lose, all of that arrogance crumbles into humiliation.
If you can tell your opp is playing arrogantly, learn how to play so that it just makes things worse for them. Don’t sit there and play extremely defensively and let them have the initiative/momentum and control of the match. Put your foot down and refuse to let them control the match. PLAY SMART. This means: be defensive when you need to. Be offensive when you need to. The cool part is that you can make your opp arrogant by pretending you suck for a while. Then when you see them doing reckless things and being predictable, start playing for real! It’s a great confidence booster for you and a real confidence killer for them! No one likes an arrogant person. >_>

Fear (choppy)-
Definition: a feeling of distress caused by the presence or anticipation of danger or something threatening.

What?: Humans are afraid of the unknown. You are scared of things that seem to be capable of inflicting negative emotions on you (like humiliation, failure, or embarrassment). Fear comes from feeling like you have no hope/ shelter/ safety. If you want to inflict fear, deny everything to your opp. When you break your opponent’s shield twice in a match, you make them fearful of using it. You deny them the basic “right” to have a shield. Make them afraid of the edge cuz of some crazy edge guard you did. Make them afraid to come to you cuz of something simple and effortless that you keep doing to punishing them. Fear is diff from failure in that fear deals with massive punishment of everything the opp does. Failure is induced by just stopping the opp with a simple thing, not punishing. Punish everything! Overwhelm them.

So What?: When someone’s afraid, they will usually switch to extremely defensive play, sticking to completely safe moves and reactive play. No risks. Stupid mistakes. Everything is just “off” and “choppy”. But the opposite is true as well. Sometimes they will go aggro (super-saiyan-crazy-rushing-in) cuz they have nothing to lose and nothing left to win with. Depends on personalities and circumstances, but mostly expect to have them defend a lot (Interesting how one emotion can cause two totally diff play styles to manifest). Know your opp and adjust your playstyle accordingly to counter their fearful playstyle (Be it defensive or super offensive. Both can come from fear.)

But what if you’re afraid? If you’re afraid, then your opp has successfully “gotten into your head.” Perhaps you have not trained appropriately for the matchup? Do you feel overwhelmed because of the apparent gap in skill level between you and your opp? Your fear is your fault. Next time, put up your psychological shield and just ignore all of their attempts to scare you. Tap into your confidence. Don’t let that fear control you. If you’re scared, it’s probably too late to win the match. Hence the lack of helpful information in this paragraph.

Failure (inferiority)-
Definition: an unsuccessful attempt at doing something

What?: Failure is about making the opp feel stupid and inferior, usually by giving the opp new and unexplored things they aren’t familiar with. Not to scare them; just to make yourself “invulnerable” to everything. Stop everything they do/try to do. Unlike fear, you don’t punish them, just stop them with the least amount of effort. F

So What?: Failure manifests itself in desperate (foolish?) attempts to try new or old things. Everything fails for the opp, so they have to try new things. Expect blind rushes and an aggro style to desperately try to land a bunch of strong attacks. This is natural. On the contrary, the opp may also give up and just accept defeat (again, depends on the person and the circumstances). So yeah, expect totally insane and desperate attempts to knock off just one of your stocks. But you’re going to be smart and expect this and play smart against all of their crazy smashes, right? ^_^

Dude, if you’re hitting a brick wall and you don’t know how to get over a certain tactic your opp employs (and you feel like you could TOTALLY kill him if you just know how to get over this one tactic), then you obviously have some homework to do. Someone has encountered this tactic before you. Figure it out. Don’t let yourself be lead into the following emotion…

Frustration (multiple instances of inferiority)-
Definition: a feeling of disappointment, exasperation, or weariness caused by aims being thwarted repeatedly or desires unsatisfied

What?: It’s like failure, except it has more of an annoying char. Failure is not your “fault”, cuz it’s new material; but frustration is “old” material that you are losing at. For example: first you fail cuz you keep landing in front of yur opp and getting shield grabbed. After several matches that becomes old material and you start being frustrated. Frustration is failing (lots of times) @ old material. Notice that the definition says “aims” and “repeatedly” and “desires”. They’re plural, and “repeatedly” is definitely more than once.

So What?: Who cares? Dude, if you’re frustrated, you are going to suck really big tennis balls. Frustration is one of those emotions that can literally break a player from their very foundations. It can make someone quit in a matter of weeks. How do make your opp frustrated? Read the def. Make them fail a lot at the same stuff. Do something you are confident with and make sure your opp fails a lot. Frustration manifests itself like failure. Stupid and desperate attempts to try new things. Desperate attempts at attacking (like blind rushes and aggressively desperate tactics). Watch and see how your opponent suddenly tries to do the most desperate things to kill you just once, even if it means losing 2 of their lives!

If you’re frustrated, just stop. Go home and make yourself a smoothie and watch Dexter’s Laboratory on Cartoon Network. You jhave just failed at life and at being yourself. Way to go. Never get frustrated! The remedy? Some alone time to think and LAUGHTER!

Anger (awkward)-
Definition: a feeling of extreme irritation and annoyance.

What?: Anger is one of the emotions that comes later in a set or after a bunch of matches. People get angry at things that purposefully insult them or purposefully break their rules of play (cheapness). Any attempt to obviously and purposefully insult the opp in any way makes them angry. Taunting, toying with them, making a show in front of a lot of people with regards to how bad the opp is, being cheap while destroying yur opp, falling off if you’re up 3 lives, openly allowing your opp to beat you up for 20 secs, etc…. Those things are insulting. And make you angry.

So What?: Angry people play with aggro rushes. They start to play will increase the pace of their game play and will not pause for their sick mothers. This = PREDICTABLE. However, the aggro style is risky to counter. You have to be good at predicting and punishing them. Don’t screw yourself over by getting the opp angry and unleashing their inner Hulk when you don’t know how to use their Hulky style against them. You’ll get squashed by their hulk. They will inflict frustration on you! So yeah, its cool to see how people’s play-style completely changes when their angry (cuz then they try to hide their anger and its kinda funny to watch them do that) but make sure you are confident enough and experienced enough to counter their anger. Predict, predict, and predict them. Angry = predictable.

The Big “So What?”-
The whole point of all this is to control the play style of your opp. With fear, you were baiting for defensive play so you could counter appropriately with world domination. With anger, you were baiting for blind rushes so you could counter with punishing predictions (alliteration!). You see, the key is in knowing what to do after you have manipulated them into the play style you want. To counter, predict everything and punish everything. With experience, you will become familiar with ALL the fun little things and quirks people do under certain emotions. Annoyed people will whine and start falling for stupid traps cuz they got impatient with all the camping Falco was doing. Angry people try to hide their anger, but they just keep rushing and never let up on their attacks. Confident people just look good when they play, so silky smooth. Again, you get this by just playing against lots of different people. It’s in the experience. ^_^

Remember that in a real fight, there are always multiple emotions at play. Subtle blends of the above emotions make for interesting combinations of emotions. Just like smoothies!

You have to make sure you never set overly high expectations. Go to play yur best. Expect to have fun and I guarantee yur expectations will be met. Also, be disconnected to emotions of your own. NEVER get angry or frustrated. If your losing, don’t get agro and predictable. If yur losing, don’t ignore that. Acknowledge that as a fact, it’s not bad to do so. Consciously adapt your game to a more “win oriented” style. Never ignore your current situation in hopes of hiding emotions. The key is in being logical about your game play. If yur losing, the logical thing would be to try harder to win and adapt to your losing circumstances. However, you must be in control, instead of letting emotions control you. When you adapt, YOU are changing yur style. Yur emotions aren’t changing yur style. Use yur brain to win.

Never be too serious. Laugh and have fun. At the end of the day, the winners are the ones who had the most fun. (yeah right, that’s just something losers like to say to make themselves feel better.) But seriously, it’s the fun that makes people win.

Mo, from the East Coast.

Peace.

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
I find this very interesting. I will put these things to use when i brawl against friends.

I will be MEWTWO! muhahahahah! :chuckle:

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I find my self arrogant when I play someone I KNOW is worse than me. I'll just jump in and be all aggressive and I lose a stock that I shouldn't have if I was playing smart.

But when I play someone that'll be somewhat challenging or someone that I know is better than me, I keep a balance between offensive and defensive play.

I'm glad you wrote this, because it made me understand that if I want to pwn random scrubs I still have to play smart and try not to get hit.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Anger
Anger is one of the emotions that comes later in a set or after a bunch of matches. People get angry at things that purposefully insult them or purposefully break their rules of play (cheapness). Any attempt to obviously and purposefully insult the opp in any way makes them angry. Taunting, toying with them, making a show in front of a lot of people with regards to how bad the opp is. Making it obvious. Falling off if your up 3 lives. Openly allowing yur opp beat you up for 10 secs. Those things are insulting. Also, being cheap while destroying yur opp is insultingly frustrating.
Anger manifests itself in agro rushes. This = PREDICTABLE. However, the agro style is risky to counter. You have to be good at predicting and punishing them. Don’t screw yourself over by getting the opp angry and unleashing their inner Hulk when you don’t know how to use their Hulky style against them. You’ll get squashed by their hulk. They will inflict frustration on you!
That really reminds me of this one time...
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=4979806#post4979806

hahaha...

Sakurai said:
Never be too serious. Laugh and have fun. At the end of the day, the winners are the ones who had the most fun.

But seriously, it’s the fun that makes people win.
:laugh:

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
towards the middle of that it sounded like u wanted the opponent to like literally beat themselves up or be permanently scarred mentally/emotionally...just exaggerated harsh things

but i'm glad u concluded saying to just try and have fun heh

this is an interesting aspect of Smash that u just don't think of much

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Interesting

It's interesting that you put this up, because it's always something I've thought about but never really put down on pen and paper. Please do not misunderstand me when I offer my comments and criticism. As like any field of science, things are not met with understanding and are looked upon critically for flaws and holes in attempts to make a more perfect theory to be adapted into a law.

I think it would be more beneficial to instead of explain one emotion at a time. Group opposing emotions and mindsets [For example: Happiness and Sadness] and define one in a paragraph and the opposite in another, as well as the resulting in game affects they may have.

Fear
I think you should also consider the unknown. It is well known that man fear's what he does not understand. This meaning that fear can be induced from first time experiences such as a person's first time playing at a tournment or playing someone they've never played nor heard of before. This can also be flipped, when a less renowned player plays a much more well known smasher. For example, if any of us were sitting next to ken in a melee tournament, we would be afraid out of our mind just from his reputation.

Failure
I think a person's morale should be explained further, considering [from my opinion and perspective, but i'm sure many other smashers can agree with me] constant failure can demoralize their opponent, which would lead to the opponents reduced skill of play. Once the mindset of failure has taken hold and their morale drops, they begin to accumulate feelings of hopelessness and for lack of a better phrase, simply start to give up.

Frustration
This I believe is very vague, and I think you should describe being outwitted in more detail. I do; however, like that you mentioned that it does go hand in hand with failure.

Anger
I'd like to mention that "cheapness" is actually a mentality set up to protect ones ego and justify oneself despite other outside circumstances. Prolonged frustration lead's to anger. Once again, I do like that you mentioned anger takes time to manifest.

Arrogance
I feel that your ideology for countering arrogance with arrogance is incorrect and is an even riskier counter than simply playing arrogantly first. Playing someone who is bent set on attack and then adapting the same play style severely reduces defensive maneuvers as well as defensive match up sets. Playing an arrogant person as you have defined, would best be with careful defensive counters until you can temporarily turn the tide of battle [meaning you control the flow] and simply repeat.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I didn't have time to read it all, but it looked interesting and I'll come back and finish it up. But I have a question, this all seems to focus and the negatives on the opponent, it would be cool to see a section written on giving yourself the opposite of these emotions.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
You forgot confusion.

I have so many different tactics in play at any one time (particularly when using Fox) that my opponent often doesn't know what I'm going to do next. As a result, my opponent will often attempt to counterattack a move they think I will do only to hit thin air and leave themselves open.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Wow. thank you all for the great support. I didn't intend on updating this or anything, but I suppose now it would be something fun to do. I plan on taking into consideration everyone's comments and suggestions. I'm at school right now, so I can't now.

(and I did forget about all the positive emotions. Imust have been in one of my moods)..^_^

Museh

Smash Rookie
Weird stuff; when I play Smash Bros it's only for a laugh and doesn't really give me much of an emotional response apart from enjoying the game. I guess I find it hard to involve myself with amusingly childish computer game characters hitting each other around a screen xD The only other emotion I get is when I play the game for too long and it feels like I've completely wasted my time - usually this inspires me to go out and do something worthwhile afterwards :>

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
...2 posts. Ha...ha...ha.

But srzly, thnx for all the support. Guys This is going to get bigger with the new mindgames section. I hope to make it a bit shorter, since it's kinda long as of now.

Eh, got an Extended Essay to write for IB (school). Yeah, so I'm going to do that now.

kriskringle1205

Smash Rookie
Wow, this guy sounds like he is a true brawler. Yet I wonder if the ppl he play brawl with ever get HIM angry or fearful?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Frustration happens when you lose 3 stocks to a klap trap.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this guy sounds like he is a true brawler. Yet I wonder if the ppl he play brawl with ever get HIM angry or fearful?

Shut up Kris. Get out of my house. ^_^

haha. You don't talk in Spanish class.

BTW, I've progressed far enough with my skills to the point that I can ignore my own emotions. That's how I keep beating you...

(I'm doing this rather than typing up my EE. Haha...) ^_^

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
I have never seen something so ******** in my life.

I punched my opponent in the face, he's mad at me. I manipulated his emotions. OH MAN IM A PSYCHOLOGIST.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
It's interesting that you put this up, because it's always something I've thought about but never really put down on pen and paper. Please do not misunderstand me when I offer my comments and criticism. As like any field of science, things are not met with understanding and are looked upon critically for flaws and holes in attempts to make a more perfect theory to be adapted into a law.

I think it would be more beneficial to instead of explain one emotion at a time. Group opposing emotions and mindsets [For example: Happiness and Sadness] and define one in a paragraph and the opposite in another, as well as the resulting in game affects they may have.

Fear
I think you should also consider the unknown. It is well known that man fear's what he does not understand. This meaning that fear can be induced from first time experiences such as a person's first time playing at a tournment or playing someone they've never played nor heard of before. This can also be flipped, when a less renowned player plays a much more well known smasher. For example, if any of us were sitting next to ken in a melee tournament, we would be afraid out of our mind just from his reputation.

Failure
I think a person's morale should be explained further, considering [from my opinion and perspective, but i'm sure many other smashers can agree with me] constant failure can demoralize their opponent, which would lead to the opponents reduced skill of play. Once the mindset of failure has taken hold and their morale drops, they begin to accumulate feelings of hopelessness and for lack of a better phrase, simply start to give up.

Frustration
This I believe is very vague, and I think you should describe being outwitted in more detail. I do; however, like that you mentioned that it does go hand in hand with failure.

Anger
I'd like to mention that "cheapness" is actually a mentality set up to protect ones ego and justify oneself despite other outside circumstances. Prolonged frustration lead's to anger. Once again, I do like that you mentioned anger takes time to manifest.

Arrogance
I feel that your ideology for countering arrogance with arrogance is incorrect and is an even riskier counter than simply playing arrogantly first. Playing someone who is bent set on attack and then adapting the same play style severely reduces defensive maneuvers as well as defensive match up sets. Playing an arrogant person as you have defined, would best be with careful defensive counters until you can temporarily turn the tide of battle [meaning you control the flow] and simply repeat.
YES! I forgot to thank you for the feedback. It's been any months since I meant to write this.

Thnx for the feedback. This thread would not have been as good as it is now had you not written your post. I hope you'll find some more stuff we can add in. I like to think of this as a group thing.

Cool.:chuckle:

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I have never seen something so ******** in my life.

I punched my opponent in the face, he's mad at me. I manipulated his emotions. OH MAN IM A PSYCHOLOGIST.
I laughed HARD when I read this:chuckle:....what a loser he doesnt get the point of this whole thing....

I personally thought it was great. You never really stand back and think about these things, but it truly does affect game play. More happy emotions though, I felt a little sad after reading it =P But at least you concluded with the most important thing (to have fun) My mom is a psychologist (for 19 years) and she's never had me interested in this stuff like you have made me :laugh::laugh:

Project D

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if "Envy" could be one, if you watch other <Insert Chacter Here> Users you see how good they are and want to be like them or get better to get closer, thus making you confident in catching up to them.

iDeo

Smash Journeyman
Mostly the biggest emotion i feel when going against a new opponent or at a tourney is FEAR. As you said, humans fear the unknown and I think itz b/c of that which is why end up making bonehead mistakes like I did at my last tourney. However I have to except that whenever i go to a tourney or face off against someone new, I have to have the courage and confidence in myself to rise to the challenge and give it my all.

Another little emotion is disappointment. But even though I lose, I'm glad I got the match-up experience so I can be on the look-out of those tactics whenever I come across another Brawler who uses those and be able to take precautions against them.

StarChaserNX

Smash Cadet
If you’re frustrated, just stop. Go home and make yourself a smoothie and watch Dexter’s Laboratory on Cartoon Network. You jhave just failed at life and at being yourself. Way to go. Never get frustrated! The remedy? Some alone time to think and LAUGHTER!
Do they still show Dexter's Laboratory on Cartoon Network. Oh well, I personally recommend Gilligan's Island.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I have to say htis is the msot helpful thread ive ever readin my life. This has totally explained my depression at brawling and helped me to get out of it and stck my friends in it. I have to say THANK YOU

FOXYB

Smash Cadet
some players have this aura about them that is frightening when they pick up a controller. it makes it very hard to fight them. but you have to realize that its all in your head. and if you were playing this kid at home you would three stock the fool. smash is 90 % brain, 10% hands

Ruuku

Smash Lord
This is really good stuff, Mighty_mo76. Keep it up because it seems like you've overlooked a number of other factors.

Top Bottom