• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion #6! Mr. Game and Watch

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
1st POST!!!!!! Lol

Don't be fooled by his B-air it ends after it hits the ground and DISSAPEARS.

And if anticipated counter is good but as always never ever abuse the counter.

You can also grab him out of his up-b and watch him fall to his death

And..................................... :grin:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Mr. Game and Watch can be a huge problem for Marth if you dont play right or account for his moves. Mr. Gaw has a bair that has a huge amount of priority and range and a very long lasting hitbox. The bair aka the "turtle" beats most of marths aerials so just wait for a safe time to grab him or ftilt. Gaw can KO Marth at VERY low percentages with his up smash, down smash, or fsmash, so watch out for those. His dsmash comes out fast and can be used out of Gaw's dthrow. He can also anticipate your roll and there you go...your upsmashed and ko'd at 65%. <_<

The hitbox of Gaw's fsmash also lasts for some time, so be aware of that when spot dodging or rolling.

Otherwise...Gaw doesnt have too good a projectile so Marth can basically camp his way to victory with well spaced fairs and dtilts. Take your time and you shouldnt have too much a problem. Tippers will destroy Gaw very quickly as well.

For edgeguarding, you can hit or grab Gaw out of his up b for a quick ko. Im pretty sure you can dair him as well (like snakes up b).

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
Remember that unlike Snake's Up B, G&W's Up B sweetspots the edge and therefore makes it very hard to grab him.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
In this matchup you have advantage in terms of air speed. G&W has no aerial with better startup than your primary aerials nair and fair. (his nair might but that's not the main problem)

You can use this to your advantage. Aerial grab release than has applications. Although you don't have a guaranteed hit like against MK, you still have an advantage. So if you can master following up from grab releasing post lag, than you can get right in G&W's face just as he is getting out of grab release animation

This leaves him only two options: upB and spotdodge. If you do a fair he will be beaten in all other cases. Most G&W's won't realize they should upB, but if they do you can dodge it with proper spacing and then punish the descent. If they spot dodge you can follow up with another aerial after fair to catch him.

This is one way to use marth's aerials' speed against G&W hope it helps. Also grabbing G&W out of his upB is so rare. As he has invincibility and can sweet spot. Just hope he misses the ledge and hit him at the peak of his jump for free%.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
Steel, you don't seem pumped. I miss your "GO!"s, instead of a Go.

Gaw's movements are obviously the most unique, just seeing how he walks proves it. In a way it makes him more unpredictable, but it's nothing we can't handle.

His B attack, the bacon move isnt too useful in this matchup because of it's lack of range, and a brickwall of fairs seems like the best way to go about things because you outrange Gaw in many ways and he will have to try to get to you to attack. A nair would be nice, but Gaw is a shorter character which sucks.

The turtle is obviously something to worry about, but IMO ground game is the best for this one, easy to hit him with because his attacks are somewhat on the slow side (the chair, manhole, flag U smash, and F smash remain most dominant in my mind) and it will be easy to out range those attacks with your shieldbreaker also.

Thanks 3x3 Swords, I was gonna ask about the upB, looks like it's pretty troublesome, so no gimping im assuming.

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
Someone sliding across the floor...he cries at the end >_>

Anyways, question. Is it recommended to try and gimp G&W when he isn't very far off the stage? His quick up B has stopped my attempts to gimp him. Would a better idea be trying to juggle him instead?

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
oh. Not a smart move i'd imagine. That hurts, man.

I wouldn't, but I have a slight paranoia of his up B. If he is smart, he might up B no matter what seeing Marths set up for a spike. He could also blow you up in the air with his U air, hurting your chances.

Overall, I wouldnt recommend it in most of the chances you can get a good setup.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Someone sliding across the floor...he cries at the end >_>

Anyways, question. Is it recommended to try and gimp G&W when he isn't very far off the stage? His quick up B has stopped my attempts to gimp him. Would a better idea be trying to juggle him instead?
Juggle? Eh? He's the lightest character in the game IIRC, and his Dair has pretty low lag for having such high priority.

Gimping him through off stage aerials to the point where he cannot return or edgehogging (or both) is really the only way. Since his Up+B has invincibility frames similar to yours, as well as rather fast-paced as well, it's an absurdly excellent recovery. There's not much you can do except trying to force him farther off from the stage.

Simply put, gimp him off stage horizontally, don't spike unless you plan to spike him at the height of his Up+B, and even then, he should have grabbed the ledge anyway.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Juggle? Eh? He's the lightest character in the game IIRC, and his Dair has pretty low lag for having such high priority.

Gimping him through off stage aerials to the point where he cannot return or edgehogging (or both) is really the only way. Since his Up+B has invincibility frames similar to yours, as well as rather fast-paced as well, it's an absurdly excellent recovery. There's not much you can do except trying to force him farther off from the stage.

Simply put, gimp him off stage horizontally, don't spike unless you plan to spike him at the height of his Up+B, and even then, he should have grabbed the ledge anyway.
2nd lightest actually. Jigs is 1st.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I just played with a G&W today. It's never been a hard match-up IMO.

Counter is ftw. G&W telegraphs a lot, and even when he doesn't, it's fairly obvious what his options are. That Bair deserves to be countered over and over.

Dancing Blade OWNS the crap outta G&W because his RD is so hilariously laughable. Fthrow to Fsmash OWNS him too, because even from that low damage it hits him halfway to the death line, and jumping after him with a Fair is just too hard for him (btw, Vietgeek, I love you soooooo much for reminding me about that, I've been ****** with it and my crew hates your guts. You're the best EVAR!)

Dtilt owns his whole ground game, and DB owns him any time he tries to move. His Dair is really easy to see coming IMO, so if you're quick on the counter, attack from below. RARDairing to meteor smash him while he's horizontal.

When he's on the edge, his options off the edge are mediocre. He can ledgehop Nair, which is probably one of his best options, so be ready with a counter. Stand about a tip distance away from the edge, and jump if he jumps, counter if he attacks, and attack with the option of your choice if he does elsewise.

His grab range not awesome, but be ready to tech that down throw. Since Judgment is a horrible approach option, and his grab is mediocre, he may fall back on his actually decent dash attack. It has ******** priority, and will simply clash with most of your moves. That being said, counter it.

Tipper often, and you'll kill him quick. Upsmash is your friend.

Hype

Smash Lord
His Bair has so much range, messes up your shield and connot be spot dodged. I usually counter it but that gets perdictable and G&W usually just ends up doing empty short hops then punishign my counter. Does Ftilt out range his Bair approach? I don't think it does but I'm not sure. When every I try to play defencivly I just get ran over by his Bair.

His Safe kill moves! If only marth has them. His Fsmash like many of his other moves has a long lasting hit box and it difficult to spot dodge. Now that I think about it you probebly could Jump cancel Counter into his Fsmashes late hitbox (or any charged smash for that matter), this gives you a kind of sliding counter. His Dsmash and Usmash can be a real problem out of a grab. I Haven't taken the time to master tech rolling his Dthrow, but it would useful if I was consistant at it.

My absolute favourite thing to do with marth, when I facing someone like G&W, Toon Link or other characters that recover low is...after knocking G&W off the map I hang on to the ledge, after my invinability frames are gone it seems like I'm just asking to get stage spiked but, I continue to hang there. When G&W is about to do his up B I drop down and immediatley counter. It's not 100% consistent against Game and Watch but you usually will get the stage spike.

his Dair doesn't bother me at all, I counter it everytime. One thing I will say is watch out for his up B when G&W is jugggling you, he's invincable and it launches him pretty high.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
If you can get around GaW d-smash and dair, ur in the clear. Pretty much if he is above you, its safe to counter cuz hes gonna dair and its obvious. If GaW starts d-tilt spamming, u should hit him with dancing blade. In this fight u should go for tippers whenever u can. Bairing or fairing GaW out of his diar seems to work pretty well also.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
How offensive can Marth afford to be in this match up? I haven't actually tried this yet. I usually use MetaKnight against him, but I'm starting to think Marth is a much better option.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
So long as u dont run into stuff, u can be as agressive as you want. Agro countering is rewarding in this matchup too. U should try that ledgedrop counter thing hype was talkin about too. Sounds like a win move to me.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
This match is all about spacing.

You outrange GW, so use that to your advantage. His smashes are ridiculous and will kill you very early. Don't get hit by them.

If he uses bair on your shield, up b out. If you get caught in it I believe you can smash DI out.

GW is among the lightest in the game, so he should die early.

You also have a grab release on GW, let him jump out and get a tipper fair on him.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
reverse up B sends G&W straight up and kills at 90% - 115 %

find a away of setting this move up ,

dont fight him airbone at all he will win

you will attack him he can camp you with neutral B .

then upsmash you were you come near

he can tech chase you with dsmash or to judgement hammers

like i said with the try to kill him up because his upb is really annoying because it glides

marth can only space fairs to shieldupsmash , upB ,

as soon as you see a G&w back turned change your game immediately , focus now on counter and ftilts those clash with the turtle(bair)

to tech chase him

FULL JUMP Dair to UPB techchase or use dsmash if you are unsure on him rolling

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Is the fair guaranteed? I always thought that it was one of those "he can get out but just barely" options.

Edit: G&W's bair doesn't clash with any move besides projectiles, b/c aerials don't clash. But does Marth's ftilt actually beat G&W's bair in terms of range?

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
This match is all about spacing.

You outrange GW, so use that to your advantage. His smashes are ridiculous and will kill you very early. Don't get hit by them.

If he uses bair on your shield, up b out. If you get caught in it I believe you can smash DI out.

GW is among the lightest in the game, so he should die early.

You also have a grab release on GW, let him jump out and get a tipper fair on him.
But what out ranges what? I mean, his bair and dtilt have some nice range, and they spam those a lot. Would I be able to **** him out of his bair with my aerials?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Pretty sure fsmash outranges the dtilt, dancing blade too I believe. Can also just SHFair. I don't recommend challenging his bair with your aerials.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Ya, his Bair is pretty Pwn, I try to counter it or roll away when he uses it. It's not to hard to use counter a lot and have it work every time, because he does telegraph a lot, and for example if he jumps backwards at you, he's gonna Bair, it's very obvious.

Just a little thing I'd like to throw in: Marth's Fair stagespikes G&W at like 50% on battlefield if he's out of invincibility and hanging.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Pretty sure fsmash outranges the dtilt, dancing blade too I believe. Can also just SHFair. I don't recommend challenging his bair with your aerials.
Your Dtilt also out ranges his.

3x, you have to fullhop toward him and then Fair. Timing has t obe perfect yeah. I haven't played Barlw in 2 weeks so my muscle memory for the grab releases have screwed up, but it's a guaranteed set up if you do it right.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
sounds like to put you thumb on the cstick before haha

at low percent you can to sword dance >B >B >B ^B to upsmash tipper gets him on like 30-47%
There is no reliable follow up to any finished DB combo imo. Besides utilt is faster.

@Viet dude don't tell me anything about not playing. I haven't played in like 18 days >_> I'm so desperate over where I am, that I bought a wii numchuck just to practice dash dancing motion and other things. lol

VietGeek

Smash Hero
There is no reliable follow up to any finished DB combo imo. Besides utilt is faster.

@Viet dude don't tell me anything about not playing. I haven't played in like 18 days >_> I'm so desperate over where I am, that I bought a wii numchuck just to practice dash dancing motion and other things. lol
Dash dancing isn't useful anymore. Almost no distance to dictate space control and you can't do a bunch of stuff out of it like you could in Melee anymore.

Anyway, you may have better muscle memory than me, so it might not matter as much. To each their own.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Oh but you can

Anyway practicing DD'ing is only to make sure my fingers haven't slowed down. Besides its not reliable since I can only imagine I'm doing it right.

You may occasionally hear me say some random,
"Doh, I'm foxtrotting"

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Well tripping isn't that big of a deal for me anyways. Watever not going to have this turn into one of those "tripping should be out" "no it shouldn't" discussions. There's tacticals for a reason.

Besides I just love randomly DD'ing useful or not, I just like doing it. Makes me feel in control......... of myself at least :)

3xSwords

Smash Lord
I call it SH fair takes care of one dtilt at a time :)

Thankfully the G&W I play doesn't abuse the dtilt as much as he should.

Also against G&W is it better to tech d-throw or not at all? I mean I'm only asking this because teching sets up for a ridiculous u-smash tech chase which he has. So is it better to take the chance of getting hit by u-smash while teching or not tech and get hit by a d-smash, worst case scenario.

Top Bottom