• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Challenges] Become a More Well-Rounded Pit Player!

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Feel like you've hit a plateau in terms of skill with everyone's favorite angel warrior? Do matches sometimes feel stale to you? Do your opponents often successfully predict your next move, and punish you for it? A few weeks back, I started to feel this way. It took a bit of observation, but I finally noticed the flaws in my game: I was using the same attack patterns over and over. My strategies were stale, and I wasn't even using 1/4 of Pit's move set.

To combat this, I devised a bunch of challenges to help diversify my play style, and they've really worked wonders. Some challenges are easier than others, and some are stupidly difficult. At any rate, they are all possible, just take a lot of practice. So, I present to you, the SB Pit Community, my list of training exercises.

Even if you already feel you're a well-rounded Pit player, these are nonetheless fun to attempt. Also, if you feel like adding a challenge, feel free to post, and I'll update this list. Most of all, have fun. That's what video games are for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Rules of Engagement:

• Three stock matches
  • No Items
  • Level 9 CPU opponent (or less if you so desire)
  • If the rules of the challenge are broken, force-end the match.
  • Use a neutral course: I use Battlefield, but Final Destination is an acceptable substitute.
  • Each challenge has an assumed difficulty level: novice, warrior, commander, and deity. level. Do your best to conquer each- every level offers a different kind of play.
  • Have the opponent be a random CPU. If you want to increase the difficulty, use common sense with your opponents. For example, for the challenge "Only KO by ledge-hogging", an opponent like Pit or Kirby will be much more difficult than say, Donkey Kong or Bowser.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Move Set Limitations:

[_] Do not use u-air
[_] Do not use d-air
[_] Do not use n-air
[_] Do not use throws or grabs
[_] Do not use the neutral AAA attack

[_] Do not shoot arrows
[_] Do not use any tilt attacks
[_] Do not do the same attack twice in a row.
[_] Do not use u-smash
[_] Do not use f-air

[_] Do not glide
[_] Do not block (R-bubble shield, Mirror Shield, Shing Shield, etc.)
[_] Do not dodge
[_] Don't use aerial jumps (You may only use the first jump off of the ground, and Wings of Icarus)
[_] Do not use aerial attacks
[_] Do not attack while on the ground
[_] Do not use b-air
[_] Do not use d-smash
[_] Do not use f-smash

[_] Do not use Wings of Icarus
[_] Do not use smash attacks
[_] Do not jump in any way, shape, or form. This includes Wings of Icarus.

Strategy Limitations

[_] Only fire arrows in a straight line / do not curve arrows
[_] You may not use non-throw attacks until your opponent has reached 40% damage

[_] If you use arrows, you cannot miss your opponent. Shielded/blocked/reflected arrows are OK, as long as they connect with your opponent.
[_] Only KO with aerial attacks
[_] Only KO with ground-based attacks

[_] Only KO with throws
[_] Only KO by pegging a recovering opponent with arrows
[_] Do not attack your opponent if they are in the air

[_] Only KO by ledge-hogging
[_] Only KO by d-tilt spiking
[_] You may not grab on to ledges

Time Limitations

[_] Defeat your opponent in under three minutes

[_] Get your first KO in under one minute

[_] Get your first KO in under 45 seconds

[_] Get your first KO in under 20 seconds

How many can YOU complete? .` )

kown

Smash Lord
im not so sure this could be beneficial because one gets better by mastering all of his moves and not limiting himself in any way. How are you going to get better at Wingdashing if you cant even use it? but this could help master all the moves such as stop spamming fsmash and experince all his moves.
im not trying to be rude

Icystrider

Smash Rookie
The Challenge

Useful challenges indeed; and most definitely sound advice.

Thanks

(props for all the work put into this)
(^_^)

NxC

Smash Apprentice
im not so sure this could be beneficial because one gets better by mastering all of his moves and not limiting himself in any way. How are you going to get better at Wingdashing if you cant even use it? but this could help master all the moves such as stop spamming fsmash and experince all his moves.
im not trying to be rude
I think it's rather clear that these aren't designed to help master various ATs. If you're still learning ATs, these obviously aren't ways to go around doing that.

These are simply to diversify your move set and possibly catch new uses for certain attacks that you may have not thought of before by limiting your pool of moves, or requiring you to use clever tactics to avoid hazardous situations. Sometimes you are unknowingly put in situations where it is disadvantageous to be in the air- in which case, the "only use ground-based moves" challenge may help train you in ground combat. Personally, I never noticed how much I rely on d-smash and ledge games until I tried said challenges.

That, and these are also for fun. I don't think there would ever be a situation where you would not be able to jump, but nevertheless it is a fun take on the game.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think its a great idea. I personally think I jump too much. I found out today that Dtilt combos are awesome. Dtilt>wait>Dtilt>wait>Dtilt(grab if in reach) The Dtilt allows you to safely attack and continue a juggle with someone who DIed out of reach. Its awesome!

Here is my check list:

Move Set Limitations:

[_] Do not use u-air
[_] Do not use d-air
[_] Do not use n-air

[_] Do not shoot arrows
[_] Do not use u-smash
[_] Do not use f-air

[_] Do not glide
[_] Do not dodge
[_] Don't use aerial jumps (You may only use the first jump off of the ground, and Wings of Icarus)
[_] Do not use b-air
[_] Do not use d-smash
[_] Do not use f-smash

Strategy Limitations

[_] You may not use non-throw attacks until your opponent has reached 40% damage

[_] If you use arrows, you cannot miss your opponent. Shielded/blocked/reflected arrows are OK, as long as they connect with your opponent.

[_] Only KO with throws

Time Limitations

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Good idea to keep track of individual goals, kupo! *gets checklist on first page*

Move Set Limitations:

[X] Do not use u-air - vs. Peach
[X] Do not use d-air - vs. Game and Watch
[X] Do not use n-air - vs. Wario
[X] Do not use throws or grabs - vs. Lucas
[X] Do not use the neutral AAA attack - vs. Falco

[X] Do not shoot arrows - vs. Lucario (This took me an extremely long time >_>)
[_] Do not use u-smash
[_] Do not use f-air

[_] Do not glide
[_] Do not dodge
[X] Do not use aerial attacks - vs. Zelda
[X] Do not use b-air - vs. Wario
[_] Do not use d-smash
[_] Do not use f-smash

Strategy Limitations

[_] Only KO with throws

Time Limitations

[X] Defeat your opponent in under three minutes - Vs. Wario

[X] Get your first KO in under one minute - Vs. Snake, King Dedede

[X] Get your first KO in under 45 seconds - Vs. Game and Watch, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Lucario, Ice Climbers (20:15 omfg...)

[X] Get your first KO in under 20 seconds - Vs. Ness, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Cpt. Falcon, Ike

kupo15

Smash Hero
Atm I feel stale :( I also realized that I grab the ledge way too much. THE LEDGE IS NOT SAFE!!

I assume human opponents are acceptable and better actually.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Atm I feel stale :( I also realized that I grab the ledge way too much. THE LEDGE IS NOT SAFE!!

I assume human opponents are acceptable and better actually.
Only problem with human opponents is they can know, for example, that you are limiting your ability to jump, and can easily kick your *** by just thrusting you off the course at low percents.

However if you both agree to the same terms, then it can be incredibly fun. It's really up to you.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Hmm. Could be an interesting way of teaching yourself to control your habits better, if nothing else...

I'll give it a try.

Move Set Limitations:

[X] Do not use u-air *against ROB
[X] Do not use d-air *against IC's
[_] Do not use n-air

[_] Do not shoot arrows
[_] Do not use u-smash
[_] Do not use f-air

[_] Do not glide
[_] Do not dodge
[_] Do not use b-air
[_] Do not use d-smash
[_] Do not use f-smash

Strategy Limitations

[_] Only KO with throws

Time Limitations

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Dont expect me to finish all of these, for I aint liking my limitations, and those cheap Roll spammin and grab spammin CPUs.
Or actually I tried doing more than one at a time, yet that doesnt work.
You can tell that I hate doing this.

Move Set Limitations:

[_] Do not use u-air Lv.9 PT (Pressuring)
[_] Do not use d-air Lv.9 Ike (Easy considering how i prefer F-air on Ikes)
[_] Do not use n-air Lv.9 King Dedede (Hated it)
[_] Do not use throws or grabs Lv.9 DK (Hard considering how I love to CG Large targets)
[_] Do not use the neutral AAA attack Lv.9 Ness (Stupid Grab-spammin coward!)

[_] Do not shoot arrows Lv.9 Lucario (Stupid Dodge-spammin coward is cheap)
[_] Do not use any tilt attacks Lv.9 Wolf (I hate this)
[_] Do not do the same attack twice in a row. Lv.9 Jigglypuff (I really hate this)
[_] Do not use u-smash Lv.9 Samus (I really really hate this)
[_] Do not use f-air Lv.9 Zelda that changed into Sheik (I hate losing this move considering how it is so important)

[_] Do not glide Lv.9 Ice Climbers (Easier than the others considering how I really rely on F-air)
[_] Do not dodge
[_] Do not use b-air
[_] Do not use d-smash
[_] Do not use f-smash

Strategy Limitations

[_] Only KO with throws

Time Limitations

[_] Defeat your opponent in under three minutes Lv.9 Ganon (unfortunately it was ez despite the dodge spam of the CPU)

[_] Get your first KO in under one minute The same Lv9 Ganon as above (Doesnt count if we cant do 2 in the same match)

[_] Get your first KO in under 20 seconds Lv.9 Link (I hate Link so much)

FLCL

Smash Rookie
Wow this is a nice set of Challenges to complete, I gusse when I get home from school today I'll start working on these.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think what's really important is to have variety. "Variety" is the key word here, because it doesn't allow you to be predictable. Let's say you grab your opponent and throw in a few jabs there, and then throw him down. Your opponent will bounce up. You can either use your u-air or simply fire Palutena's Arrow. Let's say you land an u-air on your opponent. The next time you throw your opponent down, fire an arrow instead. That'll likely throw him or her off. Mix it up.

Xyro told me once that if I play like Samus should, then I likely won't win. I noticed that when Xyro played as Samus and I brawled with him, he used his Charge Shots more often. He didn't care about the diminishing returns. He was playing with variety. He played a certain way against my brother, and then next time he brawled with my brother, he didn't play the same way. So remember that "variety" is important to being unpredictable.

kown

Smash Lord
xyro does have a pattern or its just samus becuase the zair is very predictable. and i think thats samus best move.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
xyro does have a pattern or its just samus becuase the zair is very predictable. and i think thats samus best move.
Any attack can be predictable, but still, it's possible to get hit by the predictable attack. Try fighting a Lucas player who spams PK Fire and see how many times you get hit. My point is that everyone should have variety in their gameplay. Some people try to incorporate certain attacks into their matches, and it works well against people you haven't brawled with the first ten times. After that, it's easily picked up and your opponent knows what you're going to do. It's not wrong to pick up certain styles, but it's not a good idea to pick them up and use them over and over again.

And yes, Xyro does have a pattern. I picked up his pattern when brawling with him. That is, I was aware he would shield and use his f-smash. The way he uses his Charge Shots, however, is something that a Samus player might be told not to do. "Save your Charge Shot so that when it's fresh, it will KO your opponent easily." Or, telling a Pit player, "Don't use your b-air during the match, but save it for KO'ing." It's really a good idea to hold on to, but it can be limiting. So yeah, just have variety, and it will help you remain unpredictable.

Shaolin-Ninja

Smash Apprentice
I didn't keep track of whom I fought before the last one on easy. I'll just do them again so my list will look good. :p

Move Set Limitations:

[X] Do not use u-air
[X] Do not use d-air
[X] Do not use n-air
[X] Do not use throws or grabs - Link
[X] Do not use the neutral AAA attack - King Dedede

[_] Do not shoot arrows
[_] Do not use u-smash
[_] Do not use f-air

[_] Do not glide
[_] Do not dodge
[_] Do not use b-air
[_] Do not use d-smash
[_] Do not use f-smash

Strategy Limitations

[_] Only KO with throws

Time Limitations

Ceph

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1805-2306-4996
Do we actually have to win the match? lol cuz I keep getting my *** whooped, I'm too self-conscious doing these challenges.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
I love the way you think. Im going to start the challenge the next time I play brawl!

Here is my check list:

Move Set Limitations:

[_] Do not use u-air
[_] Do not use d-air
[_] Do not use n-air

[_] Do not shoot arrows
[_] Do not use u-smash
[_] Do not use f-air

[_] Do not glide
[_] Do not dodge
[_] Do not use b-air
[_] Do not use d-smash
[_] Do not use f-smash

Strategy Limitations

[_] Only KO with throws

Time Limitations

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
Are completing this challenges really work? i've heard that by putting limits to yourself you become better, but i think not like this. What if you re so sued to do an attack cause you couldn't do the oens before and now that your in a real tourney battle you just got the habit of not gliding ?(for example)

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
i would say this challenge is good for getting familiar with pit moveset, knockbacks, property and hitboxes, other then that i say it no good.

Ax00x0

Smash Apprentice
Hey! This is great! My friend and I (me Pit obviously, he is ROB) started doing something like this a month ago when we'd practice: I suggest that for an hour, at the start of all games, we'd ban ourselves from using one attack (Uair, AR, etc.). It actually does help a lot in finding other ways to mix of the strategy, and made me realize I was over-relying on a few things. While most of your challenges look the same as what I've been doing, there are many listed that I didn't think of...so thanks for this, I'll remember to site this whenever I do that type of training. Good to know I wasn't the only one who thought of it.

Just a note: CPUs work fine, but doing it against a real person makes it that much better. Maybe they'll wanna limit themselves, too, Pit player or not.

Top Bottom