• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Help!!!!!!

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Hey im new to the smash forums but ive been playin brawl since it came out. I was a metaknight player but i find him cheap now. Anyways i want to use sheik cuz i think she has alot of potential but i still can't jacket the chain very well. When do u break out the chain after the shorthop. And i can't chainlock for my life so can sum1 help me.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Chainlock:

Pull out the chain, then somewhat quickly wiggle the joystick from south to southwest (around south-south-west) if they're on your left. To reverse chain lock, face east, and wiggle the joystick south-south west.

Chain-jacket:

Make sure to attack at least 3 times before attempting this, or it will cause a crash.

Once you have done whichever attack you want (you can use items too, even throws and Final Smashes), perform a short hop (does not have to be directly after the move). After you reach the peak, wait just a fraction of a second once Sheik begins to fall, and pull out the chain.

Marks of a properly performed chain-jacket:

1. A puff of "dust" comes out from around Sheik's shoulders.
2. A lower pitched "pang" noise can be heard when deploying the chain, as opposed to how it normally sounds.

You can check out the following thread for other Sheik tricks.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=179565

PK Webb

Smash Champion
thanks but 1 thing whats southeast and south is that like down to down forward

PK Webb

Smash Champion
thanks i got the chainlock but i just need to pratice the jacket more the timing is weird

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
It is incredibly weird. I have not done it a single time. I gave up.

Watch videos of other people doing it on youtube. That might help you out with the timing.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I somewhat got it i did it 4 times in a row but the timing feels weird. U have to chain before she begins to flip but after the peak of her shorthop. The timing is very weird just as SinkingHigher says.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
if you just picked up sheik.. the chain jacket shouldn't be what you're focusing on right now -__-
While the Chain Jacket is awesome, I have to agree that it should not be the first thing you should be practicing. There are definitely more useful, applicable things to learn first!

1. F-Tilt Locking
2. Zelda
3. Chain Tether Stalls/Edge-Hogs
4. Vanish Gliding
5. DACUS (Dash Attack Cancelled Up-Smash, acts just like Snake's Snake Dash)

6. Other stuff (Chain Jacket, Needle Cancel tricks, etc.)

If you have 1-3 down, then you'll definitely be on your way towards a good Sheik! :)

And welcome to the Sheik boards!

SCORE:
META 0, SHEIK 1

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I DID IT TODAY!

Yes! First time ever!

Now that I'm all giddy I'll keep trying. I'll try doing it slow-mo in Training an see exactly wtf is going on.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I can tilt lock, edgehog, vanish glide, my zelda can win on her own against most characters, i can rack up about 80 damage quick with sheik so i think im in ok shape. Congrats SinkingHigher. And i can edgestall ok im still praticing that though. And thanks for giving me a warm welcome.

How do you DACUS???

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
The move itself is very very simple. It stands for Dash Attack Cancelled into Up Smash. It's pretty clear how to do it from that.

This is what you do. It helps to think of it as a 1, 2, 3, 4 motion.

1. Forward
2. C-stick Down
3. A
4. Up.

While your left thumb rotates the joy stick from Right/Left to Up, your right hand hit's C-stick Down and A. Tap Jump OFF makes it easier, otherwise you'll find yourself jumping and d-airing a lot. If you can time it right, though, and hit A a fraction of a second before Up, you don't really need to.

As soon as Sheik begins the Dash Attack, input the Up Smash. You have BARELY half a second to do it. Timing is everything here (And for a mommeennttt the worrllddd disappears. Sorry, song I like)

Anyway, practice practice practice. You have to pretty much hit Cstick Down and A at the same time, and A and Up at the same time, but at the same time, it has to be 3 different inputs.

NOTE: Feel free to change the button config. I always forget to choose my player, so I didn't bother learning it that way. A popular config is set Z to attack. To make up for the grab issue you can make L or R grab.

Assuming Z is now attack.

Forward > Z > Up&A

Basically, it's just this.

1. Forward
2. Whatever makes you dash attack.
3. Whatever makes you attack. 4. Up.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
my chainjacket is almost battle ready, it feels so sweet pulling it off as an edgeguard and that wtf expression that ur opponent must have had would be priceless

PK Webb

Smash Champion
yea its almost battle ready ive been praticing it 6 out of 10 times is my best so far

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
I do it quite a bit in my matches now, an easy way i found out is to change R to attack and turn tap jump off, i do 8/10 times now and it is cool when you hit them in the face with it :)

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
While the Chain Jacket is awesome, I have to agree that it should not be the first thing you should be practicing. There are definitely more useful, applicable things to learn first!

2. Zelda
lol.

I'm having a lot of trouble doing the chain jacket. I can only do it sucessfully once in a blue moon ;~;

Though I have done it 2 times in a row, which is awesomeee. More practise tomorrow!

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Bahahaha I did it like 20 times yesterday. Once you get it once it's easy from there on out.
first time i read that, i thought you were talking about chain-jacketing. D:

but yeah i can get the DACUS almost on command. sometimes i screw up, but more often i get it.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
I've seen this done by link and i was wondering if this is possible for sheik. It only works for certain attacks like falco, fox, and jigglypuffs down smash. im not sure if thats all the attacks it works on.

After the smash attack happens DI towards the ground and use the chain before you leave the platform. You should be able to stop all momentum and grab the edge.

Heres the video im going to test this out today. just go to minute 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
first time i read that, i thought you were talking about chain-jacketing. D:

but yeah i can get the DACUS almost on command. sometimes i screw up, but more often i get it.

I was.

Anyway, T,

Yeah. If you DI out of a Smash/powerful attack that sends you flying to the sides (Zelda's F-smash sometimes works), throw out the chain before you actually reach the ledge. By the time you pull it out, it should latch on. (Make sure you LET GO of B.)

No matter how fast you go, if you pull it out at the right time, it hooks.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
I've seen this done by link and i was wondering if this is possible for sheik. It only works for certain attacks like falco, fox, and jigglypuffs down smash. im not sure if thats all the attacks it works on.

After the smash attack happens DI towards the ground and use the chain before you leave the platform. You should be able to stop all momentum and grab the edge.

Heres the video im going to test this out today. just go to minute 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI
that only works with Z-tethers. i happened upon that while playing as link on norfair. you can just z as soon as you're out of hitstun to stop all your momentum. tried it with sheik and zamus and didn't work.

Top Bottom