• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ QLD Brawl Buddies: A QLD Brawl/Melee Tournament - Finals Vids up!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Super Awesome Results thread - Click HERE

Queensland Brawl Buddies

Hey there smash fans!

We cordially invite any and all smashers, casual, competitive, and anyone in between to come and participate in Queensland's first major smashboards.com Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament!

Now we really mean it! We want YOU to come to this tournament. We know alot of people lurk these threads out there, and we'd really like to see you there. So it's important that you make an account and express your interest in attending!

Why should YOU come?

It is my greatest wish that this tournament should serve to boost the status of Brawl in Queensland. As such, I am inviting everybody to come to this tournament. I have been apart of the amateur QLD scene for 3 years now, and I can vouch for how great and close nit a community it is.

Smashers statewide, worldwide, are a great bunch of people. We are all friendly and approachable, and all play smash with a sense of camaraderie and mateship.

I should wish that everybody from the seasoned pro's to the humble beginners, people of all ages, all skill levels and interest in the game should come along.

: 3

Who am I for that matter?

Hi, my name is Anthony Smith. I'm 18 years old, and I live in Helensvale on the Gold Coast. I've been playing competitive smash for a number of years now, and have decided to step up the level of competitive smash in this state.

I currently work in Network Administration at Helensvale State High School, as such, I am also a Blue Card Holder. So if there are parents out there reading this, or if there are kids out there that want to come but have parents to persuade, then this might be the clincher.

I work in a student oriented environment 5 days a week, and I can assure you that I will do everything in my power to ensure the safety of everybody at the tournament.

When and Where you ask?

It will be located at Helensvale Community Centre, North Hall

This community centre has played host to our tournaments before, and proven successful as well. It is located on Discovery Drive, within reasonable walking distance of the train station (Assuming a quick pace, I'd estimate about 10 - 15 minutes walking, you basically leave the train station, walk past a park and you're there). Alternatively, we can organize a team of drivers to ferry people from the station to the venue at regular intervals in the morning.

As for the date, I'm going to man up and lay one down for everyone.
~ Saturday 27th September

So you've got plenty of time to clear those schedules, and put in those requests for a day off from work.

Events

Read closely now, this is an itinerary of the day's events. This is also subject to change depending on how early we can gain access to the place.

7:00am: Doors Open, come in real early to help set up!!!
9:30am - 10:30am: Event Registration Period
10:30am - 1:00pm: Brawl Doubles
1:00pm - 2:00pm: Barbeque Lunch
2:00pm - 5:00pm: Brawl Singles
5:00pm - 8:00pm: Melee Doubles
8:00pm - 10:30pm: Melee Singles
10:30pm Onwards: Crew Battle/Packup and Leave

*Order of singles and doubles are subject to discussion

All money in the pot will be as equally distributed as possible between events (Aside from crew battles), and then distributed to the following places as follows:

1st: 60% of Pot Distribution
2nd: 30% of Pot Distribution
3rd: 10% of Pot Distribution

Pricing

Ah, the all important pricing section. I think I'll just run with the usual pricing method we've used so far:

Event Entry: $5 (To help cover costs to hiring the location)
Singles Tournaments: $10 per person, per event
Doubles Tournaments: $10 per team ($5 per person), per event
Crew Battle: Your Ego

~ House Rules ~

Now I had a talk with Maree, the kind lady who acts as the manager of the centre. She has some reservations about us coming in, but she is like that with all of the new clients to use the centre (We'd used the centre before, but yeah >.<).

On the assumption that we follow some simple, important rules, we can ensure that we'll be allowed to come back. She said that if this goes well, we'd be able to come back on a monthly/quarterly basis for a more lowered fee than before.

The first two are particularly important, so read carefully.

1. Use your common sense!

I know, I know. You're all reasonably mature people, and know how to treat things with respect. However please, don't do anything that will get me in trouble -_-
I guess this would include kicking stuff around the place, mucking around near windows with blinds that could get tangled/wrecked/what have you, y'know, that kind of thing. If you've got some excess energy to burn, burn it outside please -_-
I won't be afraid to tell you guys to take it outside if you wanna start running around for the hell of it. There's going to be 13+ setups, so I don't want people acting up around the place too much.

That being said, I think you guys know how to grope each other in public, and know where to draw the line.

2. Do NOT bring food onto the premises

THIS ESPECIALLY INCLUDES ALCOHOL.

This is an all-ages ranged event. I know people from as young as 9 or 10 showing up to this tournament, and it would not do to be drinking any kind of alcohol around them, so don't even try or your butt will be out the door.

Water is fine, DJ's lollies are fine (Bob always brings lollies). Food will be provided by us on the day. If you want to eat out, that's fine, but don't bring it inside, eat the food in the designated areas.

3. Respect other people's property

The wii's you will be playing on will likely belong to other people, and they are doing this tournament a great service by providing Wii's and TV's. So the least you can do is be careful around equipment.

Also, bring your own controller. Please. -_-

4. We gotta lock the place up and leave at 12am or earlier

I didn't quite grasp what Maree meant, but I'd imagine what she meant to say was "You have to be out of there before 12am" and it is my every intention to be out of there by this time. The tournament must end at roughly 11pm, or earlier if possible, so that we can be out of there at least a half hour before 12.

Rule Sets and Procedures.

Ah, the all important rule sets. For the budding/casual smasher, please, don't feel overwhelmed by the wealth of rules here. The tournament organizers are on hand to help you out should the need arise. Many of the technical rules can be explained to you, and for the most part, a lot of the later rules may not ever apply to you (Hopefully :laugh:).

Tournament Procedure:

Once the current bracket has been announced, players will be assigned to stations in a defined order. (A station is a setup consisting of a TV, a Wii and a copy of Brawl)

Once you have been assigned an opponent and a station the ‘Mage’s rule’ applies:
- If you arrive 2 minutes late for your set, you will receive a warning.
- If you arrive 4 minutes late for your set, you will automatically forfeit the first match of the set
- If you arrive 6 minutes late for your set, you will automatically forfeit the match completely

Once both players have arrived for their match, the procedure is as follows:

- Each player chooses their character, either player may call a double blind pick if they wish, meaning both players must choose their character’s at the same time without knowing whom the other player has chosen. This is done by each of them informing a judge/referee in secret, who then reveals the selected characters.

- At this point, any stage may be banned by either player, and each player may only ban 1 stage each.

- A random stage will be selected from the ‘Starter’ list, thus the random stage select option must be set to only those stages.

- Upon completion of the first round of the set, the following steps must be followed:

0. This is the latest point in the round where a stage ban may occur. If either player wishes to ban a stage, this is the final point in time when it may occur.

1. The loser chooses the next stage to be played on. This may be a neutral or a counter-pick. However, any stage that has been banned either by tournament rules, or by the players themselves cannot be picked by the loser, unless both players agree to it.

Further compounding step 1, is ‘Dave’s Stupid Rule’ in which the loser may not pick a stage they have previously won on against the player they are playing against in the same set. However, this too may be ignored if both players agree.

2. The winner of the previous round chooses their character.

3. The loser of the previous round chooses their character.

4. The match is played to its end.

5. Repeat steps 1 to 4 until a clear winner is found. This is found by winning best of 2 from 3 matches in a set, or best 3 from 5 in a finals set.

6. The winner must report their win to vyse. If vyse is not available, you must wait until he is.

~ General Rules

- You must not initiate a tournament match without the authorization of a Tournament director. When a round is declared to have begun, that is when you may initiate your next tournament match.

- If at any time, a player feels that their opponent is breaking a rule, they have every right to pause a match and request intervention from a Tournament Director. However, players should also be warned not to abuse this right for the purpose of stalling the progression of a set. Use your discretion, and by all means call a Tournament Director for assistance.

- Any of the four standard control set ups are fine. Do not attempt to use a modified controller. Any evidence of this occurring will result in a disqualification.

The following rules will govern any and all tournament matches, and are as follows:

All tournaments will be Double Elimination.

All matches are Stock Matches
3 Stock - 6 Minute time limit

Items
All Items are to be turned off.

In the options menu Items must be turned to 'OFF'.

Note: The frequency is turned to 'NONE' as this allows some characters to obtain items by using special moves.

Stage Legality List
- Revised (10/08/08)

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island Brawl

Counter
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Halberd
Luigi's Mansion
Onett
PictoChat
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise

Banned
Corneria
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Mario Circuit
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow*
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

*Hanenbrow is a counter pick for doubles.

Banning Stages

- Each player may ban ONE stage that they do not wish to play on.
- This stage may be from either the Neutral/Random Starter list or the Counterpick List.
- The player must ban their chosen stage either before the set starts or immediately after the first game.

The Dedede Rules:

Dedede is a controversial character, capable of chainthrowing characters infinitely. granted that there is a wall. Or simply chainthrow to death granted that there is a walkoff available.

Originally proposed by CATS and Shaz this rule is designed to prevent people abusing King DeDeDe's d-throw chainthrow.

Dedede may not choose to play on stages in the following list (However, if a listed stage is banned, either by rule or by player ban, it cannot be chosen anyway):

Corneria
Bridge of Eldin
Mario's Circuit
Shadow Moses Island
Green Hill Zone
Onett

Dedede's opponent may choose to play on one of these stages if they wish.

Further Dedede restrictions!

There are also a number of character's that Dedede can chainthrow on the spot, and otherwise chainthrow without the need to chase.

If a player is reported to be abusing this, they will receive a warning, and their matches will be monitored. IF they are caught a second time by an adjudicator, they will be disqualified immediately.

Infinite Release Grab

This is banned. The most common example of this is Marth's release grab on Lucas and Ness. Performed by grabbing either of the two, releasing them by not throwing them, and grabbing them again.

Infinite release grabs on the spot in this manner are banned. However, it is possible for all characters to relase grab against a wall. If a character is caught against a wall in a release grab chain, then it is allowed up to a maximum of 200% damage. Any further than that will be considered stalling.

If a player is reported to be abusing this, they will receive a warning, and their matches will be monitored. IF they are caught a second time by an adjudicator, they will be disqualified immediately.

Infinite release grabs are allowed in Doubles as a means of trapping a single character between two characters.

MetaKnight: Infinite Dimensional Cape

Banned. Just don't do it okay guys. A technique that renders a character invisible and invincible indefinitely is banned. Not even to extend your Down + b

Ice Climbers Chain Throw

Is in! However, extending a chain-throw past 300% will be considered stalling.

Stalling

Stalling is not allowed. Stalling a match includes any method the player might use to prolong a match by placing their character in a position wherein an opponent cannot reach them. Peach's Across B for example, can be used to stall underneath stages like Battle field.

Running away would not be considered stalling however, as your ability to evade the opponent is only as good as the opponent's method of catching you.

The Following Rules have been adopted from the SBR Ruleset

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

--All else is A-OK!--

Confirmed List

Confirmed:
People in blue are Event Administrators and Tournament Judges/Match Officials
People in green are equipment supliers.
People in orange are 'Out of Staters'
People in pink are either Syke or Sirias <3

1. vyse
2. Kulla
3. K-0S
4. Yokai
5. Sieg
6. Syke
7. Rune
8. CAOTIC <3
9. DR1VE_7HRU
10. Scrubs
11. Alex
12. Dean
13. Ammeren
14. Greenstreet
15. ***ACE***
16. Sloth
17. Accelerate
18. Sirias
19. DJkaion
20. Booker
21. Kustom
22. Unit_00
23. Jei Jei
24. Alan
25. Josh
26. Damon
27. Shannon
28. DJ Cat
29. Moose
30. Albert
31. Cameron
32. Dan
33. Hotdog
34. Woodley
35. Hotdog's Friend
36. Azer
37. Kuru
38. Ricky
39. Andrew
40. Stiks
41. Axe
42. Muerte
43. grav1sh
44. grav1sh's friend
45. grav1sh's friend
46. grav1sh's friend
47. Jack
48. Jack's friend (Ash or something?)
49. Hardhate and a number of housemates?
50. xXArrowXx
51. David
52. Kayahan
53. robbiesla
54. King Kong
55. *Hzrd*
56. Atyeo
57. Reindex
58. Travis Smith
59. Joshua Braddock
60. Jesmo
61. Jesmo's Friend
62. Jesmo's Friend
63. JAtz
64. OptimusBen
65. JimmyJackHammer
66. Hagshrom
67. Destroyer
68. Rakka
69. Shaya
70. LoboParamilitary
71. LoboParamilitary's Friend
72. Solong
73. Sover
74. neoknux_009

Expression of Interest/Unconfirmed/Possible Attendees that need to be asked or informed:
Redact
Tristan
Radiance
King Mos
Get That Rat
NG7
Mage (Moose's brother)
A couple of grav1sh's friends.
Noodalls
Mat (No, I didn't forget a 't')
A couple of Jesmo's friends

Equipment Log
We need your help to make it a success! Please bring as many Wii's and TV's as you can muster!

Total:
Wii's: 20
Brawl copies: 19
TV's: 21
GameCubes: 2

vyse: 1 wii, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
Greenstreet: 1 wii, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
K-0S: 1 wii, 1 Brawl, 2 TV's
DJkaion: I'm going to assume that he'll bring his wii + brawl + TV lol
Unit_00: 1 wii, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
Yokai: 1 wii, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
Dean: 1 wii, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
Sieg: 1 wii, 1 Brawl. 1 TV
DJ Cat: 1 wii, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
Scrubs: 1 wii, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
Sirias: 2 TV's (?)
Kustom: 1 wii, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
Shannon: 1 wii, 1 TV, 1 GCN
Moose: 2 Wii's, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
Booker: 2 Wii's, 1 Brawl, 1 TV (If he can fit it)
grav1sh: 1 Wii, 1 GameCube, 1 Brawl, 1 TV
xXArrowXx: 1 wii, 1 Brawl
David: 1 Brawl
Kayahan: 2 TV's
robbiesla: 1 wii, 1 Brawl
King Kong: 1 wii, 1 TV
Solong: 1 wii, 1 TV, 1 Brawl
Jesmo: 1 TV

***​

Well that's it for now, I hope all the Brawlers out there will come out of lurking. It is really important that we get everyone who's interested to either 'express interest' or 'confirm' that they're coming so that we know whether or not the current location is ideal.

Everything here is subject to change, but everything should be pretty set in stone well before the tournament.

---

Past Progress Reports:
Report 3: Page 12
Report 4: Page 15

---
Oh and Credit goes to Syke. People can ***** however much they want, but the man knows how to organize a tournament. So I'm basing some things off of his previous threads : 3

ALSO Credit goes to Scrubs and the rules I borrowed and molded from his thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142990
---

Hosting Needs and Accomodation Suggestions

Hosting

Hosting is something that all tourneys with interstate players need to consider. Of course certain people are going to need housing more than others. Why? Because they're travelling interstate to get here! We want to make their stay in Queensland as cheap as possible.

The following require housing before anyone else:

Redact
Jei Jei
Kulla
*Hzrd*
Greenstreet
GORDS
Shaya

The following people have indicated their willingness to host

Amaterasu - 1 Person
(Is hosting Jei Jei)

K-0S - 2 People
(Accepting applications for hosting)
1. *Hzrd* + girlfriend
2. Shaya

DJ Cat - An undetermined number of people. Can apparently house a number of people.
Applicants:
Kulla
Redact
GORDS

Greenstreet + 2 friends take secondary priority.

Accomodation

http://reservations.bookhostels.com/australianexplorer.com/hostel.php?HostelNumber=6506

I've been looking at some different hostels, and this one looks alright.
$35 a night, Internet access.

You could go cheaper though. There are more Hostels in southport/surfer paradise that should be looked at.

EDIT:

http://reservations.bookhostels.com/australianexplorer.com/hostel.php?HostelNumber=918

Trekkers Hostel ~

$22 per person, per night. 10 person room:

Facilities
# Communications: Internet Access
# Web Access in Lobby
# WiFi in Room
# WiFi in Lobby

Sport & Leisure:
# Swimming Pool
# Outdoor
# Sun Loungers
# Bicycle Hire
# DVD`s
# Common Room
# Outdoor Terraced Area
# Library
# Games Room
# Pool Table

In Room Facilities:
# Ceiling Fan (ooooh yeah)
# Linen Included
# Security Lockers

Food & Drink:
- Breakfast Included
# Guest Kitchen
# BBQ Area

General:
# Bicycle Parking
# On Street Parking
# Washing Machine/Dryer
# Iron/Ironing Board
# Towels Hire
# Luggage Storage
# Jobs Board
# Tours Desk

22 White street, Southport.

Trekkers said:
We are one of the very few hostels who are unlicensed, so therefore you can bring your own drinks.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
I'm so going to this...I'll probably be all rested up by September

Also...about the ice climber rule...200%? Sif anyone would even bother stalling when they can just chain throw, with almost no chance of escape, to death...Should be limited to the amount of times it can be done...But i dunno...I've never played against a decent ice climber...I've only seen vids..but it seems pretty OP to me

Yokai

Smash Ace
Confirmed.

Oh and Credit goes to my *** for sitting at the computer desk, the guys knows how to sit.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Kulla: YEAHUZZ, KOULLA IS MADE OF FUZZY AWESOME

@Syke: Thanks for ze Pro-tip about times. We could have a melee tournament, but finding time for it would be a *****. Maybe we could extend it to go over the whole weekend?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I'd go if it ran over 2 days and had Melee in it

Wait, Syke's right ~ you can run all events on the same day if you have a turnout of 30-ish

Yokai

Smash Ace
LOL sieg rage.

BRIX WILL BE ****. In regards to crew battle, does tech still fight under the name tech?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@Syke: Doesn't Rambo run from like 12 - 9 though? Well, maybe we could manage to fit it into one day, but it might be stretching things.

Also, I'm very open to suggestions about the ruleset, I didn't mean to ignore your concern about IC's Kulla. If somebody can suggest a better ruling on the IC's please state an opinion here >.< I kinda just made the rule up on the spot without researching it first.

lol

Yokai

Smash Ace
I was thinking pokemon tourny as well.

But thats just me, I ran it past vyse, we shall see what happens.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Well, I don't see why not. We can discuss it further, and then I'll amend the first post tommorow.

Yokai

Smash Ace
Hey gramps, can we look at your super choclaty fudge coated mega super card? I dont see why not.

and Ok, fair enough vyse. this will be epic.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
James, if you wanted, you could probably run a Pokemon Tourney on the second day. But we have to worry about hiring costs is all >.<

Yokai

Smash Ace
Im willing, if melee or halo is on second day. I will run pokemon tourny.

Same cost as first day?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I guess so >.<
Melee Singles and Doubles and Entry Fees will all be needed.

So James, how many pokemon players would you be able to bring in?

Yokai

Smash Ace
Just make it an extra 3-5 for the pokemon tourny, for prizes. and 10 if they arent entering any melee tourny?

Yokai

Smash Ace
Well, theres me. Obviously you rune and aron would join.

I overheard a few people talking about competitive pokemon at the last biweekly. So Id love them to enter, I mean, we would need to know numbers and everything, but I can advertise it on pokemon boards, yet we would have many noobs.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Fail at editing posts. 2 Days is a bad idea specially when you have to go to and from venue and it takes so fcking long. It costs around 110-120 a day as well.

For max time management you have Double first with double elim straight up, then singles with either a few rounds of pools depending on numbers or just double elim again. Just make sure to start singles as soon as possible i.e a few rounds into the doubles tourney. With 30+ people it doesn't take anymore than 3-4 hours with 5-6 t.v's going. You can easily have a Melee singles with single elim for lolz or alter the rules a bit for double elim, e.g neutrals only, no bans but can cancel 1 stage first game. That's pretty much what they did for the last couple MLG's.

As for attending I might show up sometime in the afternoon.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Lame jokes?

Everyone laughs at my lame jokes, because then I do something awesome somehow.

Yes.

Yokai

Smash Ace
Syke, I fail at melee in general. So why do you have to point out every flaw?

And michael, I loled when you got so butthurt you punched ryan.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ack the dilemma!
-_-

It is true, getting to the place is annoying. But the second day would be rather relaxed in terms of time.
Maybe I should leave it to a majority rules vote? I dunno, you have a good point, but I want to leave room for the potential for randoms to attend as well.

Starting at 9 isn't necessary either, we could extend it later to give people time to get there and the like.

EDIT: As to the cost concerns, an entry fee of $5 will be charged on both days as well. If twenty people come each day, that's $100 right there. And I'm sure we'll get that many people at least on both days.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Everyone knows I rage.

Laugh all you want lol.

I only rage cause I really like to play.

You can tell people are serious when they get pissed off.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Yes but there is a major problem with costs, if youg et it from say 8-5 it costs say $110 and is counted as an all day bundle price thingy, but if you get it from 10 - 5 they make you pay for individual hours and once it cost a bit over $150 and we were there from 9 - 3.

Yokai

Smash Ace
Sykes point is taken. 8-5 sounds much more reasonable.

As for the 2 day or what thingy, its up to everyone really. Is 2 days to much to organise?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
What I meant was, we'd get it from 8 to 5, but the tournament wouldn't start til like 10 to give people a chance to get there. The day bundle sounds alright to me.

Do they have a website I can look at or will I need to contact them by phone?

EDIT:
NVM, google wins.

EDIT2:
I just had a look, and yeah it'll cost us $121 for 9am to 5pm, which is plenty of time, that $5 entry fee should cover it. Thanks Syke <3

We can talk about this tommorow, I'm off for now.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Nice work Anthony, good initiative.

I reckon it might be possible to do it on one day if we organise food/catering in advance. We always lose 1 hour at least for lunch.

I'll also have a hunt around for a different venue, with more flexible hours... The PCYC doesn't really need that much notice for bookings so there is no hurry

Also entry has to be at least 10 maybe 15 for everything.... Thats if you want prize money.

Confirmed BTW

2 MONTHS NOTICE!!!!!!

I don't want to see any "I have work" johns!

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Just another note, the site is hugely out of date according to the lady when we were there in December.

Change the entry fee to nothing. I've been thinking about it for a while and the more I do the more plausible it seems. Basically you make it a $10 fee for everything, they prize money is **** all if any but what it does is invite a lot more people. Not only that but I remember the old SQUAT days when it was like $5 to get in without prize money and to me they where much more fun tourneys than the recent ones we've had. If you had the fee at $5 for everything, I have no doubt that even more people turn up than at CoK.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Imo I agree with Zac.

Money doens't make you play better, wanting to win and beat the other guy does.

If you go to a tournament not to play at your best well then, you suck lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Imo I agree with Zac.

Money doens't make you play better, wanting to win and beat the other guy does.

If you go to a tournament not to play at your best well then, you suck lol.
You are correct. But the promise of a reasonable prize is what draws high level players to your tournament, rather than somebody else's. You should've seen Moose on MSN the night before we went to the chermside tournament. He was giddy with anticipation, because he found out about the possible prizes, and he knew that there was a good chance that he could win.

This doesn't apply so much to us, because it's not as though there are several tournaments running in our state at the same time. In america, the tournament's with the biggest pot offerings will attract the biggest names, and thus, with big names, more people are likely to attend to be able to play against these big names. Take a big name player, give them two tournaments to choose from that are of equal distance away from said player, give one a higher Pot than the other. Which will he attend based on just that information if they are on at the same time?

A big example at the moment is the issues Mass Madness 11 is having with their current tournament date. Nobody is going to want tot go to it due to Otakon and another major tournament. For them to attract players back, they would have to offer something better than the other tournaments.

FAST1 on the other hand, is charging somehwere around $20 per event! BUT this is attracting widescale attention across America.

THIS is the prime reason I believe money can be a significant factor. Money and prizes will attract people to a tournament, or deter them away. At the same time, people won't play for solely the money, but also to prove that they are the best. Like you said Michael, that is always the primary reason for attending tournaments. However I can think of quite a few people who will play for more than just the glory of the win (Despite it being the best part about it : P )

But I do agree with a smaller entry fee to attract quantity over quality. Sorry for the rant, but money plays a significant role IMO. Whether to attract players. or deter them.

So, whilst your opinion is not unfounded, as for the most part, we all go to tournaments foremostly to prove ourselves against other players to see where we rank, I believe that there are also people who will seek out major smash tournaments for the money. You just have to look at 2007's smash season, the grassroots tournaments backed by MLG turned out attendance rates of between 200 and 300 people!

Therefore: Potential for bigger Pot = Possibility of high level players attending = Drawcard to attract other players = Happy Tournament Organizers.

Although, I think we're referring to two very different things. I'm here talking about tournament accessibility vs tournament pretige, whereas you are talking about a person's own personal drive for winning. I'm sorry, I just don't like blanket statements like the one you made -_-. What I'm doing is comparing say, the success of 'CoK' to the success of 'TNT' and its lack thereof. CoK was successful by boasting itself as a naitonal level tournament, which justified a higher Pot, whereas TNT really didn't end up being a tournament at all, despite the planning that went into it.

So you are right Sieg, people play to win, not just because money is on the line. That's what Poker is for, and this isn't Poker. But also remember, Ken came all the way to Australia, and played Game & Watch in the finals rather than playing at his best. People play for different reasons, that's all I'm saying.

But please correct me if my line of thinking is invalid or wrong. I don't claim that my opinion is correct, I just claim that this is my opinion on the logic behind tournament pricing schemes. I feel like an *** for putting it the way I have >.<

TL:DR - Sieg, I'm agreeing with you (And Syke for that matter) that it would be a good idea to reduce the pricing to maximise attendance, and let the tournament run on a good old desire to win. However I believe that people can and will attend specific tournaments over others based on the potential for bigger payouts for the top 3.

EDIT:
To summarize:
$10 Entry, you get to participate in everything. Pot will suck, but it'll get people in the door.

It sounds alright. Hmm.
If we have two days, then obviously we'll have to charge for both days. I've been talking to peepz I know, and they're VERY keen on a Halo tourney. Depending on what we can gather from that venture will determine the viability of a two day event.

I'm much more inclined towards settling on a 1 day event though. By looking at alternative events like Halo and Pokemon JUST to justify a 2-day tournament, it seems like it's devolving away from the purpose of it being a smash tournament.

@CAOTIC: 1 day event, Brawl + Melee; Would you come? : 3

Top Bottom