• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The dreaded ledge..........(NEW TECH!!)

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I have no idea if this is new but im pretty **** sure it is, so here is goes....

so I was Hosting a brawl (in the hopes someone would finish their brawling to face me) while getting annoyed of how nobody was joining I started i passing time by hitting around the sandbag I wouldn't say loads of fun but it passed the time. After recovering to a ledge I was thing of how to make use of raptor boost, "maybe by using it to get up a ledge" I was thinking, HOWEVER I messed it up, instead I somehow 360 punched from the ledge back up the platform wiping the Sand bad out of existance! at the moment I was freaking out like ZOMG WHAT WAS THAT!!, I tried a couple times not being able to recreate the same events, Until I tried raptor boosting back up the ledge when it happened again, A Falcon punch from a ledge perfectly timed to execute when atop the platform.

after testing I now know how to do it (if falcon is hanging on the left ledge)

from the ledge flick (yes you have to flick it) the control stick left

Immediatly press Y to jump (Y works best for me, yes I know im wierd)

Immediatly press b and jam the control stick to the right

If you get it you'll see how amazing this is because it's got more range then recovering with the knee, and is at least twice as much epic. It's comes out exactly when you land on the platform making it very fast

I'll try to make a video of it by the end of the day (first I gotta find a camera)

Keep trying at this it's kinda hard to pull off at first but after you'll be able to pull it off a lot easier when you get once, (i Find the right ledge easier if that may help)

Sorry for any spelling or grammer errors, im trying to get this done fast

EDIT: this technique is called the "Forsaken recovery"

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Sounds really sweet, although I'm bad at the timing for reversing punches in the air (I can do it on the ground fine). I don't think you could spam this though, since they could spot dodge and knock you off again if they know it's coming. Testing!

TokiDoki

Smash Journeyman
It would be useful if you edge hog and your opponent misses the edge and has quite a bit of lag when they land on the stage. I don't know but still pretty good to add to your game.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
most ppl hold ther shield tightly and won't let go whenver they hear "FALCON~~"
so i don't c why this should replace the ledge cancel knee or even be consider to use
hmm , might need some testing tho

Wogrim

Smash Lord
After about 45 minutes of testing, here's what I've found:

Yes it works.

Falcon's feet after the punch seem to usually be centered between the arrow tips; it won't hit someone standing very close to the edge (Knee range), at least for me. Perhaps if I don't hold the control stick after I've mashed it back for the reverse punch....

If you don't flick the stick fast enough to let go of the ledge, you'll go out too far and won't make it back to the ledge before the peak of your jump, causing you to hit the side of the stage and fall if you are falcon punching (90% or more suicide rate, as you have no second jump anymore).

If you don't jump soon enough after the ledge flick, you won't make it high enough to get up onto the stage (more suicides).

If you don't time pressing B right, you'll raptor boost, which will cause you more suicides if you didn't flick off the ledge (raptor boost away from the stage) or if you don't do it soon enough before you mash the stick back the other way you'll raptor boost back towards the stage, sometimes grabbing and sometimes missing the edge.

So it works, but the hardest parts for me are being very conscious about flicking the stick very quickly, and not mashing the stick back the other way too soon.

Metroid87

Smash Cadet
I use to do that sometimes against Marth players except without making the reverse punch. If you hang to the edge while edgeguarding to force Marth to Up+b onto the stage, you can make a falcon punch jump on the stage and hit him with no escaping chance for Marth if you time it right because of his after-landing lag. You just do as if you were to come back with a knee, but instead pull out a falcon punch.

It probably works against other characters too, but as long as they have an average recovery that gives them no option as to where they'll land (as in not Snake, Pit, etc.) and as long as they have a small lag upon landing.

Metroid87

Smash Cadet
Ok so to illustrate my point, I just went and created a small replay file against a Marth computer who volunteered to be the victim. I recorded the whole thing and uploaded it on Youtube. The quality is average, sorry for that. I did it twice in the same match, but I suspect that the second time was escapable had Marth done everything to shield fast enough because of bad timing from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwMhR_XkxMs

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
It looks pretty situational. Does anyone who has tested it know if it's useful?

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Metroid87 is yours a flick down so that you don't have to reverse it? It looks easier (and reverse falcon punch is supposed to be slightly slower anyways, although also slightly more powerful). I don't have time to try it right now, unfortunately.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I don't think you can pull it off as a normal punch, cause for some reason when jumping off the ledge and falcon punching for some reason he is automatically reversed, unless down makes it normal, with can be tru because flicking left is kinda like B-reversing, either way Falcon owns at the ledge lol

-Big_-Blue 9

Smash Journeyman
This sounds nice
But to me this sounds more situational since the Punch is slower than the knee
and your opponent has to be recovering from lag or just standing there

Wogrim

Smash Lord
It might be better to flick down, but reverse the punch so that it covers the ledge, so that you can punch people that are landing near the edge and so that you arn't knocking them all the way across the stage (they'll die at much lower percents). It might be hard though since you'd have to reverse the punch then quickly DI back towards the stage (from the right side, flick down to let go, jump, falcon punch, flick right to reverse, hold left). That would cover where the knee does and would hit them offstage instead of across the stage. If someone's just standing there, stick with the knee or falcon dive.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
So I guess it's agreed, this tech is very situational but may become so Epic that it may blow peoples minds

awesome, definitely going to use this in a combo video :)

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I've been trying to do Metroid87's and after a bunch of failures here is what I figured out.

You can't DI during an aerial Falcon Punch.

You can DI during an aerial Reverse Falcon Punch, although I havn't been able to fastfall it.

This means that Metroid87's has to work in the following way (from the left edge):

Flick Down, Jump, DI right (another flick or hold it enough that you DI but don't do a Raptor Boost) UNTIL YOU ARE ABOVE THE STAGE, Press B for Falcon Punch

Since you can't press B until you are above the stage, Metroid87's version might not actually be faster despite it being a regular Falcon Punch.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
yeah I too have been trying metroid87's way also, not really working for me.........are you sure you can do it?

there was a vid made so im not making one anymore, so just piss off people :)

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
Just tried it.

It seems like it could be useful, but it's very situational. It's also pretty ****ing hard to do (for me, at least), and if you screw it up, you die.

Noodlehead

Smash Lord
while trying this i found out that you can also kick yourself off the edge and do reverse falcon pawnch, but beware it will cost you one stock

Wogrim

Smash Lord
yeah I too have been trying metroid87's way also, not really working for me.........are you sure you can do it?

there was a vid made so im not making one anymore, so just piss off people :)
Yes it works,but the fact that you can't DI in a non-reversed Falcon Punch just means you're basically jumping onto the stage before you start it (which is why I said it might not be faster). It also makes it much less epic.

For anyone who is still having trouble with the reverse one, flick (the flick is very important) away from stage, quickly followed by jump, roll your thumb down to B (sort of like autocanceled DAirs), then hold the control stick back towards the stage (which reverses the Punch and thereby lets you DI onto the stage by still holding that direction). Getting the control stick timing is the toughest part for me, as I often try to reverse it too soon and end up Raptor Boosting or don't flick the stick fast enough and end up too far from the edge.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
that's waaaaay too awwwwesome.

It is a situational technique, but here's the thing: how many times have you edgehogged, only for your opponent to go through you and land on the platform with incredible lag such that you can only hit them with your best aerial?

Well the hell with that, Falcon says "You tried to make me trash? Well I'm a edgehog. Wait, you got back up there? No biggie... Falcon... PUNCH!"

It's situational, but it's a situation that I think you can make and exploit. A lot. And it seems as though once the situation is there, you read it perfectly, and you execute with the Falcon Punch-ness of perfection, then your opponent can show you his/her moves, because chances are, if you're able to get your opponent in that predicament, the Falcon Punch WILL eliminate them.

I definitely have to learn this. Maybe not so the much the 12 times as epic reverse one, but definitely the regular version. This is a breakthrough, I promise!

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
**************NEW LEDGE TACTIC (NOT TECH!)***************

SH raptor boost will spike if your opponent is loving the ledge

however the buttons connot be pressed very fast, normally SH then press forward special.

works very well when dash danced

Wogrim

Smash Lord
**************NEW LEDGE TACTIC (NOT TECH!)***************

SH raptor boost will spike if your opponent is loving the ledge

however the buttons connot be pressed very fast, normally SH then press forward special.

works very well when dash danced
Do you always have enough time to DI back to the stage if they have invincibility frames? (supposing it bounces on them). Also, if they drop from the ledge to not get hit, is it possible for them to grab the edge again before you do and watch you fall to your death? It sounds very risky.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Do you always have enough time to DI back to the stage if they have invincibility frames? (supposing it bounces on them). Also, if they drop from the ledge to not get hit, is it possible for them to grab the edge again before you do and watch you fall to your death? It sounds very risky.
oh yeah, you can DI yourself back to the stage if you hit them in their invinc. frams

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
I should also ask, what advantages does it have over dashing off the stage to BAir them? And you should probably submit it in my guide once we have all these details down.
yeah I pulled it off on lots of people, Bair when running off the ledge is awesome, but a little expected, if your opponent is very cautious try and mix up the Bair with a raptor boost

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
yeah I pulled it off on lots of people, Bair when running off the ledge is awesome, but a little expected, if your opponent is very cautious try and mix up the Bair with a raptor boost
Dair has also worked for me in that situation. It is great becuase Falcon's raised arms also inflict damage and knockback. And that is what you need to hit them with. Your opponent will be very unsuspecting of a Dair when they are on the ledge.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Dair has also worked for me in that situation. It is great becuase Falcon's raised arms also inflict damage and knockback. And that is what you need to hit them with. Your opponent will be very unsuspecting of a Dair when they are on the ledge.
Uh... won't they think you're trying to spike them? They can see DAir coming.

Top Bottom