• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEWBS FOR BRAWL III Tournament!!!-[UPDATE] MELEE SINGLES ADDED Waterbury, CT Aug 23rd

Runicwings

Smash Apprentice
NEWBS FOR BRAWL III !!!

==========================================================
Alright People we have done two tourneys and both were awesome, this time, a few things have changed. WE ARE HOLDING PRE REGISTRATIONS NOW!! iTS SIMPLE JUST PM ME WITH YOUR NAME AND WHICH EVENTS YOU WILL BE ATTENDING, FROM HERE ILL ADD YOU TO A LIST AND PROPERLY SEED YOU, ITLL MAKE THE TOURNEY RUN MUCH SMOOTHER AND ALL THREE EVENTS WILL GO AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE. YOU MUST PM ME BY THE 20TH OF AUGUST THATS ABOUT A MONTHS TIME SO THERES NO EXUSE!!! SEE YOU THERE >_____0

For starters the venue has changed, the place we got will be a bit bigger so we can accomodate more TV's and people.

We also changed the rules just a tad so pay attention to what the allowed Neutrals, Counters, and Banned stages because most of the tweaking was there.

and thats about it, ON TO THE TOURNEY!!!

Information

Newbs For Brawl - A Brawl Tournament Hosted by Moon-Doggie and Nana

The tournament shall be held at The Bucks Hill Community Club in Waterbury, CT.

Should be simple enough, just map quest it.

Address:
2851 North Main St
Waterbury, CT

Entry fee: 5$
Singles: 10$
Doubles: 20$
[ Note Free play is also available BUT you still have to pay the venue fee.]

Prizes:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Registration will be at 11:00am now because of the three events so we need to save time!!! .the cutoff period is 11:45 so be sure to be on time. You never know, there might be delays, but don't count on it.

For those who are late, you have 2 minutes until you lose a Match, 5 minutes after that you will lose the Set, IF you are late 5 more minutes after losing of a set then you will be knocked off the bracket.

BRING TVs, If you will bring a TV and a Wii setup PLEASE fOR THE LOVE OF BABY JESUS PM me so I can plan accordingly since I dont want to make 85 million trips back and forth for TVs we might not need.

If you bring a TV/ Wii By itself half will be taken out of the venue fee for you, If you bring Both a TV and a wii then all of the Venue will be Cut for you. I will take the first Ten people who PM me about it, Ten Set ups is the cut off for discounts. Ill announce once the cutoff is made and who made it THANK YOU.

Rules

General

Double Elimination
All matches are best of 3, winners'/losers' finals best of 5, finals best out of 7
3 stock, 7 minute limit
Ties broken by lives/percentage
Items OFF Smash Balls OFF
Team Attack ON

PAY ATTENTION!!! Some Stages were moved around so look for the changes.

Stages:

Neutral Stages: (Set to Random)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpicks:

Delphino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Norair
Castle Seige
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 [Pokemon stadium is now a counter.]
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Hanenbow
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar

BANNED:

Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Bridge Of Eldin
F zero
Skyworld
Pirate Ship
Flatzone 2
75m
Shadow Moses
Green Hill
Spear Pillar
Wario Ware
Summit
Mario Brothers
Yoshis Island [Melee]
Dreamland
Onett
Corneria
Green Greens
Big Blue
Hyrule Temple

Some people may not like that a few stages have been banned therefore you have two options, In a match we will allow for the TWO competitors to agree on a banned stage to bring back, OR if you really insist on taking it off the ban list PM me with your arguements, we have like a month.

Other
Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set
if the player choosing already won on that stage.

Random Knock-Out: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the random
stages to be chosen at the beginning of the set.

Stage Banning: Each player may choose to eliminate 2 of the stages available for counterpicking.

Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go
random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may
change characters.

Double blind for character selection may be used if a player wants to.

Other Rules & Special Issues
Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc),
except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are
banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be
disqualified from the tournament.

Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use
third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you
are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to
use that controller any longer.

Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character
or indefinitely freezing them, or any glitch or trick that freezes the match
or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the
immediate forfeit of the match.

Tactics such as Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or
to manuever around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively
stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath,
is banned. Judges will be on the tournament floor can be called in at any time to
enforce this rule during a match.

You are responsible to bring your own controller. Any controller is suitable
for this tournament (wii mote/nun chuck/classic), just make sure people around
you are not also syncing at the same time as you.

BRING TVs, If you will bring a TV and a Wii setup PLEASE fOR THE LOVE OF BABY JESUS PM me so I can plan accordingly since I dont want to make 85 million trips back and forth for TVs we might not need.

=========================================================

WHAT 9000!!!! A MELEE TOURNEY TOO!?!?!?!?

This event will start as soon as The Brawl Tourney Ends

Alright Peoples This will be our first melee Tournament too, so for old times sake, lets pull out those good ol rules we used to use. Ah the memories.

Events:

Melee Singles $6.00 entry fee

Rule Set:

Neutral stages (will be on random select):
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams (Banned For Doubles)
Dreamland 64
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Kongo Jungle 64
Corneria
Brinstar
Mute City
Poke Floats
Jungle Japes

Prizes:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

General:

- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you.
- No controller mods allowed aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons allowed.
- No pausing during a match....also, please have respect for your opponent and do not do answer your phone, text, blast your iPOD, etc.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Jigglypuff's rising pound, Peach’s wall bomber, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 3 minutes...to keep things running smoothly.

Match rules:

- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit.
- All Items are OFF.
- Doubles-specific: Team attack ON, life stealing allowed.
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing the stage has already won on that stage, unless both players agree to use that stage.
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate two of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Double blind character pick (may be called for the first game): A double blind pick is when each player secretly tells a neutral third-party what character they will use. The third party then announces the character choices, and the players must stick with their character choices.
- Advanced Slob Picks (for the second or later game in a set): For a given game, the loser of the previous game may either choose the next stage or elect to go to a random stage. The winner of the previous game may then either change character, or stay as their current character. The loser may then either change character, or stay as their current character.
-Wobbling is allowed.

If both players agree to all FD, all battlefield, etc. that is allowed. Its your tourney match..and if you both agree...that is acceptable.

Thanks Poff for the info x3

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I'm gunna try, Bizkit. If I make it we should get a few friendlies in. I want another crack at your Snake. See if I can't manage to do a little better.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Sure thing. I've improved since then though, so don't underestimate. Our matches never were posted on YT were they?

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would appreciate a GOOD explanation as to why Norfair is banned. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that stage, and without it on it makes Olimar a much worse character seeing as he loses one of if not his best CP stage.

Runicwings

Smash Apprentice
*glares*...
rofl Uhhh Norfair is banned since there are several uncontrollable factors at which can kill you like the lava flares and the giant lava walls and other factors which defeat the purpose of what the game is supposed to be like that capsule for instance, one should be focusing on how to beat a character, not desperatley trying to make it to the capsule before the lava wall comes and EATS YOU. But tell you what if enough peoople whine about it ill put it back on. What do you guys think?

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
rofl Uhhh Norfair is banned since there are several uncontrollable factors at which can kill you like the lava flares and the giant lava walls and other factors which defeat the purpose of what the game is supposed to be like that capsule for instance, one should be focusing on how to beat a character, not desperatley trying to make it to the capsule before the lava wall comes and EATS YOU. But tell you what if enough peoople whine about it ill put it back on. What do you guys think?
Ok, so why not ban Halberd? Pictochat? Why not Brinstar?

What do you mean by "defeat the purpose of what the game is supposed to be?" Lol...

The lava is so easy to shield and avoid it's ridiculous.

The lava wave from the back of the screen only hits in like 1 frame. Wow, what a monster!!!!!

If people are that desperate to get to the capsule then they've only played Norfair about 1-2 times.

Same goes for the side lava wave. Moves about the speed as Jigglypuff's 2nd walking speed.

I think yr just being sore because you lost a Norfair match and didn't understand how the stage worked at all. Doesn't sound like you thought this decision through, heh.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Norfair definatly shouldn't be banned. I mean, I'll probably use a stage ban on it if I play an Oli, but that's just because he's amazing there. Not because I think it's personally a bad level.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys so the stages are wrong a little.

Castle Seige is a counter

Jungle Japes is a counter

Norfair is banned primarily because you fall through the lava and get stuck under it and die. Instead of just bouncing off and recovering if you air dodge or are at a low percent you fall through and rack up damage and sometimes die so we decided to ban it.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Ok guys so the stages are wrong a little.

Castle Seige is a counter

Jungle Japes is a counter

Norfair is banned primarily because you fall through the lava and get stuck under it and die. Instead of just bouncing off and recovering if you air dodge or are at a low percent you fall through and rack up damage and sometimes die so we decided to ban it.
What the hell? That's never happened to me. What kind of stupid freaking ban is that? Lolololol

That would be the same as an SD Bobby rofl. You fall off, you die. You "fall through the lava and get stuck under it" (wtf?), you die.

Wow, any other good reasons why Norfair is perfectly fine?

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't ban a stage on the merits of such a rare occurance. You can fall through PS1 but it's still a "neutral". Hell, the croc on Japes can kill you and that can happen every ten seconds, so ban that too while you're at it.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
[23:49] soliloqey: haha wes you just love norfair
[23:49] lucifer eleison: 11%?
[23:50] soliloqey: idk
[23:50] soliloqey: i personally dont care
[23:50] lucifer eleison: wow
[23:50] soliloqey: i like norfair
[23:50] lucifer eleison: then why are you arguing against it
[23:50] soliloqey: but it makes sense to ban
[23:50] lucifer eleison: no it doesn't lmfao
[23:50] lucifer eleison: dude
[23:50] lucifer eleison: ban pictochat
[23:50] soliloqey: hahaha
[23:50] lucifer eleison: moving explosives
[23:50] lucifer eleison: moving cart
[23:50] lucifer eleison: spikes
[23:50] soliloqey: augh
[23:50] lucifer eleison: flower with spikes
[23:51] soliloqey: easily avoidable
[23:51] lucifer eleison: fire
[23:51] lucifer eleison: SO IS THE LAVA
[23:51] soliloqey: avoided avoided
[23:51] soliloqey: OK FINE WELL UNBAN IT!!!
[23:51] soliloqey: but if anyone *****es
[23:51] soliloqey: you take fullresponsibility
[23:51] lucifer eleison: the same circumstance that would lead to you getting hit by the lava
[23:51] lucifer eleison: would be the same reason you get hit by things on pictochat
[23:51] lucifer eleison: or halberd
[23:51] lucifer eleison: or brinstar
[23:51] soliloqey: not halberd
[23:52] lucifer eleison: yr opponent pushes you into it
[23:52] soliloqey: but picto yes
[23:52] lucifer eleison: or you mess up
[23:52] soliloqey: you win you win
[23:52] lucifer eleison: and a way to avoid messing up is simple
[23:52] lucifer eleison: don't airdodge the lava
[23:52] soliloqey: and when im at low%?
[23:53] lucifer eleison: you get hit two-three times big deal if yr on pictochat and get tossed in the flames it's the same fate
[23:53] lucifer eleison: same with the flower
[23:53] lucifer eleison: or spikes
[23:53] lucifer eleison: they do stupid dmg
[23:53] soliloqey: soliloqey: i quit
soliloqey: unban it
ssbmfoxuser: lol
ssbmfoxuser: told ya
[23:53] soliloqey: its official there ya go
[23:54] lucifer eleison: told ya what
[23:54] soliloqey: thats louis
[23:54] lucifer eleison: yah i know
[23:54] lucifer eleison: why did he say that
[23:54] soliloqey: he was like we should just unban it
[23:54] lucifer eleison: lol
[23:54] lucifer eleison: :"D

lol =^___^=

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Louis fix the **** thread Japes is a counter so is Castle and so is Norfair. Haha Wes youre gay I've never seen anyone so upset over a stage ban :0P

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
If y'let one person get away with it might as well let it slide all the time.

Really not excited about Castle Siege CP, though...

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
If y'let one person get away with it might as well let it slide all the time.

Really not excited about Castle Siege CP, though...
I am it's a fun level. Better than Pirate Ship :0P

Who likes the idea of Melee singles tourney after Brawl singles? There should definately be enough time...

noodles

Smash Champion
on grab with dedede and there goes a stock in that stage. better than pirate ship though

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
A lot fo characters can get out of that and it doesn't even work on some DDD's CG isn't that great it's not why he's a good character. Also it's simple stay up.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
on grab with dedede and there goes a stock in that stage. better than pirate ship though
Not even gonna comment on this lol.

A lot fo characters can get out of that and it doesn't even work on some DDD's CG isn't that great it's not why he's a good character. Also it's simple stay up.
I'm sorry but so much is wrong with this tournament already lmao. First of all, DDD has the most ridiculous grab range in Brawl. Second of all, I have no idea what you mean by DDD's CG not being great. He has the best grab in the game, best grab range in the game, and a CG that works on 70-80% of the cast. DDD IS good because of his CG. He's even BETTER in the hands of someone who knows how to abuse it. Putting Castle Siege on CP is forcing people to either ban it, or play a character that does not get CG'd who the user might not necessarily know how to play as well as their main.

The difference between Siege and Distant Planet/Delphino Plaza is that you can just camp until you reach the 2nd transition of the stage and force people onto the bottom and CG them and take off an easy stock.

Also, with Snake you can tap B to drop a grenade faster than DDD can scale the hill on Distant Planet which stops his CG. Now, I haven't tested this with everyone yet but Beast and I are about to right now to see if other characters can get out of it using the same method.

I think it might be because of the hill that you can do this.

Anyways, on Delphino you have to wait for a good amount of time even to get to the walk off transitions. I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons but I don't feel like putting that much effort into why Delphino should be CP when everyone agrees in the first place.

Don't even get me started on Jungle Japes with the Klap Traps...

wes, teams, now
Yes finally lol.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
I would appreciate a GOOD explanation as to why Norfair is banned. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that stage, and without it on it makes Olimar a much worse character seeing as he loses one of if not his best CP stage.

were you thinking of me when you said this? ^_^

i'll most likely be going. glad to hear of a larger playing area. looking forward to it...

Top Bottom