• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another look at Wavebouncing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swordsman350

Smash Rookie
WARNING: If you don't want your brain to explode from thinking, scroll to the bottom for the commands without explanations of how they work.

To start off with, I have been interested in Wavebouncing for a long time, as I have done it many times by accident without B-sticking. After a bit of messing around in training mode, I finally got the hang of all of the commands for different types of Wavebouncing without B-sticking. The main controls are these:
  • The standard B action to start a special.
  • Pressing the opposite direction just before pressing B to cause a special to start out in that direction.
  • Pressing the opposite direction just after pressing B to cause the character to "bounce" while using the special in that direction.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There are 8 different actions that you can make with your Forward-B and Neutral-B once you're travelling in a direction in the air. Let's say that you're Link, and you are jumping to the right for these examples.

1st: throw his boomerang to the right while continuing to the right. If you don't know how to do this, you're hopeless XD.

2nd: throw his boomerang to the left while continuing to the right. Again, it's a simple command that doesn't require explaining.

3rd: throw his boomerang to the right while "bouncing" to the left. This one is slightly tricky. You have to throw his boomerang to the left, then immediately press right to throw it to the right and activate the bounce.

4th: throw his boomerang to the left while "bouncing" to the left. You have to throw his boomerang to the right, then immediately press left to throw it to the left and activate the bounce.

5th: shoot his bow to the right while continuing to the right. Please tell me you know how to do this...

6th: shoot his bow to the left while continuing to the right. Press to the left just before pressing B, and he'll turn around and shoot.

7th: shoot his bow to the right while "bouncing" to the left. This is the hardest to do of the 8 options in my opinion. You have to press to the left just before pressing B, then press to the right immediately afterwards to shoot it to the right and activate the bounce. If you do it right, it should feel like the 3rd option, but with pressing B very slightly late. An alternate way to do this is to press to the left berfore jumping to jump backwards (I think it's called RAR), press B, and immediately press to the right.

8th: shoot his bow to the left while "bouncing" to the left. Press B to start shooting the bow, then immediately press to the left to change directions while bouncing to the left.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For the button commands without explanations, this is the list:

Link Forward, Boomerang Forward: B-Forward

Link Forward, Boomerang Backward: B-Backward

Link Backward, Boomerang Forward: B-Backward, then immediately Forward

Link Backward, Boomerang Backward: B-Forward, then immediately Backward

Link Forward, Bow Forward: B

Link Forward, Bow Backward: Backward, then B

Link Backward, Bow Forward: Backward, then B, then Forward

Link Backward, Bow Backward: B, then Backward
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So there you have it =D. Feel free to comment and/or correct me.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So really, what you're saying is, for any special that can be reversed, there are four options. Okay, I would have though that was obvious.

I suppose it's important that people know how to do this without C-sticking, but most people do already.

Swordsman350

Smash Rookie
So this is useful if you're too used to the C stick to change it to the B stick?
Yep, that's pretty much it. However, choosing between B-sticking and C-sticking is personal preference to me. I use the C-stick myself because it was nearly impossible for me to do a SH Uair before I started C-sticking >_<.

ph00tbag said:
I suppose it's important that people know how to do this without C-sticking, but most people do already.
Well I never could find out how to do it that way, so I figured that I would post an alternate way for other people who couldn't figure it out. Isn't it supposed to be hard to do with C-sticking though? It seems that way from what I've heard anyway.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Well done. When I get around to updating the sticky, I'll include this thread.

Nice first post btw ^_^

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Well I never could find out how to do it that way, so I figured that I would post an alternate way for other people who couldn't figure it out. Isn't it supposed to be hard to do with C-sticking though? It seems that way from what I've heard anyway.
Well, let's make sure we're on the same page here with terminology. When I said "C-sticking" I mean putting specials on the C-stick and using it to perform the wavebounce. This was my error, and I apologize for it. And I'd say it's much easier with specials on the C-stick. You just input one direction on the control stick and the opposite on the C-stick.

It's tougher to do it manually, but if C-stick smashes are more important to your character (like they are for my main, ZSS), then it pays off to learn.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
First post, eh? Nice work. Though it's clear that you've been lurking for some time, welcome to Smash Boards.

Swordsman350

Smash Rookie
Well, let's make sure we're on the same page here with terminology. When I said "C-sticking" I mean putting specials on the C-stick and using it to perform the wavebounce. This was my error, and I apologize for it. And I'd say it's much easier with specials on the C-stick. You just input one direction on the control stick and the opposite on the C-stick.

It's tougher to do it manually, but if C-stick smashes are more important to your character (like they are for my main, ZSS), then it pays off to learn.
Ahh, okay. Thanks for clarifying that XD. The main flaw that I find with B-sticking is that it's nearly impossible to do neutrals correctly because they require the C-stick to be pressed exactly diagonally (or so I've heard). Just out of curiosity, did I play against you on the friend finder at one point? I remember someone playing ZSS and B-sticking her B-side...

Jewdo said:
First post, eh? Nice work. Though it's clear that you've been lurking for some time, welcome to Smash Boards.
Yeah, I figured that I had leeched off of Smashboards enough and felt like contributing something myself.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
So this motion is similar to the super wave dash as it was in melee with Samus correct? As far as the motion of the control stick? Left then right or vice versa?

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
This thread reminds me of something weird that happened a while ago when I was playing. Using a standard control setup, I jumped off the right of FD to Dair spike with Ganon, and instead did a flamechoke(sideB) even farther right and died. To make it even more strange, I wasn't even holding right on the analog stick when I went for the spike.
Now some of you are wondering, "How can dair get confused with side-B?" Well, the C-stick happened. In my sloppy control handling sequence, while attempting to hit Down C-stick, I accidentally hit the B-button, and at the same time, my thumb bumped the C-stick to the left(possibly the biggest failure of button pushing in Brawl history). I am not sure if it causes a wavebounce effect or not, but I know that if I hit B and C-stick(set to smashes) to the left, I do a side B to the right, even if I am not moving left or right.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Well done. When I get around to updating the sticky, I'll include this thread.

Nice first post btw ^_^
Really?

We've known for decades how to B-Reversal and Recoil Special without B-Sticking, and are perfectly capable of accounting for all 4 possible direction/momentum combinations.

We've known also, that these moves are not limited in any general way as to which specials are compatible. While, for Link, only the side and neutral B's can work with the two, depending on your character, all four special moves may be able to be B-Reversed or Recoil Special'd.

And at least 2 threads in your in-depth compilation already contain this information, and more. And 2 is a conservative estimate.

It's great that people are learning more about this all the time, but the community already has all the documentation we're going to need, in Panda's links thread even, on the two techs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom