• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique: Spring Stalling

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Originally posted about here, spring stalling is a flaw in the physics engine that allows players to quickly and continuously use a move against a spring to stay in place.

This technique also has an interesting effect on some of the characters that can utilize it.

Sonic's Spring can also be utilized in spring stalling.

Almost all characters' recoveries can be used to stall, however, their effectiveness varies, so they aren't listed.

Spring Stalling-Capable Characters (Organized by usefulness):

Meta Knight - Can use Dimensional Cape to repeatedly stall and avoid taking damage completely.

Marth - Can continuously use Counter to stay in place and avoid taking damage.

Ike - See Marth. Can also use Quick Draw to stall.

Zelda - Can use Nayru's Love to stall and deflect projectiles infinitely. Can also abuse the stall to allow four Din's Fires to exist at once. Farore's Wind is capable of stalling, however, it is difficult to pull off.

Fox - Can use Reflector to stall and deflect projectiles infinitely. Can also use the Fox Illusion to stall.

Falco - Can use the Falco Phantasm to stall and rack up damage.

Samus - Can use Morph Ball Bombs rapidly to prevent approaching.

Bowser - Can use Bowser Bomb to stall. Can be used to pin someone and rack up damage.

Ganondorf - Can use Wizard's Foot to stall. Can be used to rack up damage. Ceasing to stall can result in abnormally increased height gain.

Kirby - Can use Rock to stall. Can be used to rack up damage. Hammer can also be used to stall if done in alternating directions.

Sheik - Can use down-air spike to stall. Can be used to pin someone and rack up damage.

Mr. Game & Watch - See Sheik.

Sonic - See Sheik.

Toon Link - See Sheik.

Zero Suit Samus - See Sheik.

Captain Falcon - Can use Falcon Kick to stall. Can be used to rack up damage. Ceasing to stall can result in abnormally increased height gain.

Mario - Can use Cape to stall and reflect projectiles.

Luigi - Can use Green Missile to stall.

Pikachu - Can use Skull Bash to stall.

Lucario - Can use down-air and Double Team to stall, but neither is especially effective, as no hitbox ever occurs, and Double Team doesn't counter in the time available.

R.O.B. - Can use down-air to stall, but it's effectively useless, as no hitbox ever occurs.

May not seem useful at first, but think about it for a moment. Certain characters are temporarily invincible. One can enhance their attack power by up to four times, while rendering projectiles completely ineffective.

And, here's another thought: Zelda and Sonic paired in a doubles tournament.

Sure, the only default stage with springs is PictoChat, but that isn't limiting the use of this.

Create a stage with an all-spring floor and test it for yourself.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I repeat:

Create a stage with an all-spring floor and test it for yourself.
You'll see that everything I pointed out is true.

That, and I don't have a camera or any other type of recording apparatus. But this is true.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
This has already been found, my friends and I use this all the time to stall on large custom stages in FFAs.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
This has already been found, my friends and I use this all the time to stall on large custom stages in FFAs.
In the sense of being publicly revealed, no. But, hey, if you found it before I did (which was approximately three or four weeks ago), then all power to you!

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Well, with this technique, Sonic could be somewhat broken (in team matches). Produce a spring for a Zelda teammate and hold the opponent in place while they get Din's spammed to death.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Haven't had the time to update the list lately. (Packing up to move.)

Sorry for the inconvenience. It should be updated with all capable characters, now.

EDIT:

Here's a theoretical team battle scenario featuring Sonic and Zelda:

Sonic uses a spring on the ground, Zelda jumps onto it. Sonic then grabs their opponent while Zelda continuously pounds him/her with Din's Fire. Once the spring is gone and the opponent is in the air, Sonic hits the opponent with his f-air while Zelda finishes with a lightning kick.

This means that SPRING STALLING CAN BE USED TO COMBO IN TEAMS.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I will be the one to bring you down :p
It actually has been found, and publically revealed already..

Almost a week ago, but not quite 3-4
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164304

It's fairly hidden though, because it's in the Zelda section and not general tactics.
That was again posted by me, and it was before I had realized that characters other than Zelda could use it.

I had spent the two weeks prior testing it with her to make sure it definitively worked.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Actuall, Sonic players knew about this for a long time. It's even in the DBR film submission.

Though it's interesting to see the effects that some other characters have using the spring (like Marth being invincible and Zelda's uber dins fire).

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
In the sense of being publicly revealed, no. But, hey, if you found it before I did (which was approximately three or four weeks ago), then all power to you!
I figured this was already publicly revealed, but I knew this since like a week after the game came out. It's not really that advanced.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
You can also do it with falcon and ganons over b. As soon as I get my camera back i'll try to put something up if you guys want to see it. So you can go from say a falcon kick to a raptor boost. Thing is with the raptor boosts it'll skip a spring but you can still do it constantly to cover distances. Same with Ganon, also i'm not sure but i've gotten about three consecutive hits with ganons over b as it resets them in the air but it's hard for me to do. Falcons just pushes them down.

Ice climbers can also do this with their over b. and if you do the combo to trap your opponent in the alternating ic over b thing I theorize that that can keep them in it. You can also stall with their ice blocks. For their up b if you time it right (I don't really know the timing) you can have them do it over and over as well. Because as soon as you perform the move nana bounces and causes popo to drop the rope and you cna repeat.

Warios bike has a weird type effect but I don't know any sort of useful thing you can gain from it. Do your over b and you can ride through the springs, pop a wheelie and it looks as though wario is flashing/trying to jump but remaining on the bike.

You can do it also with pikachus up b, but you have to be really fast on the controls for it. I think you may be able to gain horizontal distance with it as well.

That's all I can remember at this moment but their's probably more. Hope this was useful in some way.

Browny

Smash Hater
im soooo going to do this at my next uni game club meeting. i normally piss off the slow guys like ike and dedede by doing that spring - dair - spring - dair combo to 'wave' across the stage as they call it, now ill just run away, taunt 'youre too slow' and follow it up with the spring stall lol :D

notnarb

Smash Cadet
I found this a week and a half after brawl's release, but couldn't find the AV cable necessary to make a video so I just let it be.
Somethings I'll add:

-Wolf and Falco can't stall because their reflector doesn't alter their momentum at all

-Kirby's rock isn't effective to stall as you have a lot of vulnerable time, but it is good to go halfway up and then use the rock to have a sort of bouncy stall

-falcon's kick has a bit of a startup lag compared to most people's dairs, I wouldn't recommend spamming it but it can bew effective for some combos

-Ike has significantly less invincible frames then Marth

-G&W can spam bucket allowing him to get rid of the after lag while retaining the absorbing properties indefinitely

-you can spam some dairs to get to a platform that appears to be the bottom of the spring in pictochat

-if you midair jump right as you hit a spring you can effectively cancel out the spring's momentum entirely

-yoshi's up b will not cancel out the upward spring motion, but it does cancel out the midair jump, so if you wish to spam eggs, just do a midair jump each time you touch the spring (as mentioned above)

-Headbutt-like side b's can be used to stall but they aren't that great (examples: pikachu's, ike's, luigi's)

-Just about everyone can stall with their up b

-Fox and Falco's up b can be used to stall, but if used right on the spring, the damaging fire portions of the move won't come in time

-You can spam Kirby and Ike's up b to attempt a lame spike

-Marth's Side b comes out pretty fast and can be useful for comboing

-Ness and Lucas's up b can be spammed pretty effectively, their normal b can be spammed for some cool effects but they are relatively ineffective

-Sonic is one of the few characters that can't effectively use spring stalling

-Mario can use his cape but it's too slow to come out fast enough to be truly effective

-Bowser's down b spam may look ineffective but **** its annoying

-Warning - touching a spring with Wario on his bike makes him leave it on the spring

-If you land on a spring with an inhaled character, once you touch the spring, the enemy is released right next to you allowing for a nair if your opponent doesn't get one in first

That's all I can remember off the top of my head, and like someone stated earlier, the only tournament usage of this is in teams with a sonic. This being said, this can lead to some pretty creative combos, have at it

Edits: spelling

Vro

Smash Lord
Solaris was definitely not the first to discover C.Falcon and Gannon's vB on springs increase height. I saw a video before USA's release on YouTube showcasing it.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Solaris was definitely not the first to discover C.Falcon and Gannon's vB on springs increase height. I saw a video before USA's release on YouTube showcasing it.
I'll change it, then. Thanks for that.

I figured this was already publicly revealed, but I knew this since like a week after the game came out. It's not really that advanced.
I never said it was an advanced technique. :p

Vro

Smash Lord
It need not be an advanced technique, but I agree with the OP that this topic can generate discussion, especially for teams.

kal2000

Smash Rookie
Ivysaur can uair indefinitely on a spring, making it hard to approach from above, for whatever that's worth.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Notnarb's post was more helpful than the TS's. And this doesn't seem like a technique, more so, a mechanic.

@ TS: Quote Notnarb's post into the first post.

krammit

Smash Cadet
Fox can stall with his >b as well. Which means you can change between down b and >b.

EDIIT: I guess this was obvious, but I thought I'd post since it wasn't in the OP.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Fox can stall with his >b as well. Which means you can change between down b and >b.

EDIIT: I guess this was obvious, but I thought I'd post since it wasn't in the OP.
Thanks for the contribution to the list! I'm adding that, now.

And, don't worry about it, sFoster, those kinds of things happen to all of us. We all jump on something suspicious sooner or later.

AoiSora

Smash Rookie
I...don't get it. Can someone explain exactly how this works, preferably with an example?

Doval

Smash Lord
I...don't get it. Can someone explain exactly how this works, preferably with an example?
1) Character jumps on spring
2) Spring sends character up
3) Before character has traveled any significant distance (i.e. before moving out of the spring's range,) character does something that prevents him from rising, and ends up "jumping" on the spring again (which cancels whatever attack he did)
4) Repeat 3 indefinitely.

Example: Zelda hops on spring, spring attempts to launch Zelda, Zelda uses Nayru's Love to go back down immediately, Zelda bounces on the spring again and this cancels Nayru's Love. This repeats indefinitely, with Zelda spamming Nayru's Love far faster than she should.

Miller

Smash Lord
This was found awhile ago, but im not bashing, I am actually thanking you for bringing it to the publics attention.

Top Bottom