• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The REAL reason why the PAL-version was delayed

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Many European and Australian people may have wondered why the PAL-version of Brawl not have a releasedate yet. Unfortunately, we PAL-smashers have to wait. Yesterday a guy at the Swedish Nintendo-partner (you can call them that) Bergsala AB told us Swedes some info about the PAL-version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and it's releasedate. I've translated what he said myself (which may explain a bit on the grammactic side) which you can read here below. The text in paranthesis are sidecomments by me.

Kai/Nintendo said:
I have nothing new to say about the releasedate: However, I have some information about the reasons why it will come so late to Europe.

The game will be made in two versions for the European market (he didn't say anything about the Australian market). One with English + two languages and one with English + two other languages. The reason to that is because the game didn't fit on one Dual Layer-disc (8,5 Gb) with English, German, French, Italian and Spanish. Nintendo then had two different options to choose from. They could worsen the quality of the movie-clips (The intro and SSE-clips), or keep the quality of the movies and make different versions. Nintendo chose the latter option, which you understand have meant an enourmous job.

It will take a tremendous long time to convert this game into a European version. And because it will come many months after the American version, there are certainly people who thinks Nintendo are lazy. Of course it's not like that, Nintendo works as fast as they can to release the game as fast as possible. Another reason is that all the Pokémon in the game will be translated (their sounds that is) to German and French, and The Pokémon Company is extremely careful with this process. It's more than you think that's involved in a qualitative localisationprocess.

And how will this favour us swedes? (lol, we don't care how it will favour us, as long as we can buy the game as fast as possible) It won't favour us at all. Unfortunately, we have to pay so that Germany, France, Italy and Spain will be happy. If Nintendo didnt translate the game to the many different European languages, the game would sell a lot worse than it normally should. Of course, this causes a lot of Scandinavians (And other Europeans too) to import the game, as it's not worth to wait for the localisation.

However, we should remember that Nintendo at the same time removes eventual bugs in the game, just as they did with Super Smash Bros. Melee. Nintendo will also fix the terrible lag that the Japanese and Americans had when playing online.
Original source (In swedish): http://forum.nintendo.se/viewtopic.php?pid=1186936#p1186936

So, at least we get one thing good out of this, the lag online will be fixed for the PAL-version. But that's definitely not worth the wait for me. I, as many other PAL-smashers has already imported the game, and are very happy with it. Too bad, the PAL-smashers that hasn't will have to wait another couple of months before they get to play it.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Surely this kind of thing could have been done during the development process though?
Furthermore, none of those issues should have effected the Australian release date, the Oz version is essentially the same as the American version isn't it? since they don't have the need for additional languages which is seemingly the reason for the delay..
I don't buy it, Nintendo.:ohwell:

D

Deleted member

Aw well, no lag at least....

Maybe they can make us wait forever just so they feel sorry for us and add Mewtwo and Roy. I would take a six month delay for those two.

I really would.

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
Thats not really fair still for us that want a good online experience in the US. How hard it is it to patch the game?

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Smash Apprentice
South Africa, Guateng, next to the street and in t
Aw well, no lag at least....

Maybe they can make us wait forever just so they feel sorry for us and add Mewtwo and Roy. I would take a six month delay for those two.

I really would.
Not 6 months, no... Well, it would be very nice if they made Mewtwo and Roy exclusive to Europeans, but it wouldn't be nice for NTSC smashers would it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So basically, Nintendo's giving us even moreicentive to hate the Germans (ugly language), French (patriotic SOBs who think French is the most important language in the world), Spanish (umm... er... originator of the Latina maid stereotype) and Italians (Silvio Belusconi, what's not to hate?)?

And god**** that forum! I haven't been able to log in for months. Every time, it says "You're logged in" but then once the next page loads, I'm magically logged out.

Frown

poekmon
So, at least we get one thing good out of this, the lag online will be fixed for the PAL-version. But that's definitely not worth the wait for me. I, as many other PAL-smashers has already imported the game, and are very happy with it. Too bad, the PAL-smashers that hasn't will have to wait another couple of months before they get to play it.
Men jag kommer få mitt spel innan jul, va? Va? De sa 2007! De sa 2007! Men nejnej, vi får minsann fortsätta till facking 2009! Jag vet! Vi låter aldrig medelhavsfolket spela det! De ska aldrig få se det ens! HAHAHAH! Och så ser vi till att vi får allt vi vill i Sverige, allt kommer bli bra, allt kommer bli bra! Jaaa! Norrmännen! Dem gillar vi inte! För höga skatter! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

^Swedish insanity talk

Andromeda

Smash Lord
And god**** that forum! I haven't been able to log in for months. Every time, it says "You're logged in" but then once the next page loads, I'm magically logged out.
Have you tried to update after you've logged in? I had to do that when I was on my Wii before some update came.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
My guess is that they didn't really realise how big the game would get during the developmentperiod. And for some reason, translating a game always takes place after the game is complete.
What the hell is there to translate and how does it require months to do, anyway? Get a bunch of linguists, get them to work and then just replace the dialogue.

It's not like they're re-dubbing everyone. In Melee, only Jigglypuff received a special vocal make-over (in French and German). Are they doing it with all characters all of a sudden? I mean, there are only so many things Jiggz says.

All they really have to translate are the stickers, trophies, menus, etc. It's not like people actually talk in the SSE.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
it's a bit harsh to bash a language.

don't you think?

either way we sould get back on topic...

im glad for the PAL smashers!
if i have match against one of my PAL smasher friends, we won't have as much lag!

..right?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
it's a bit harsh to bash a language.

don't you think?

either way we sould get back on topic...

im glad for the PAL smashers!
if i have mach against one of my PAL smasher friends, we won't have as much lag!

..right?
No, you'll probably still lag like hell. Because:
1) Your copy will still suffer from lag. If the two versions are even compatible for online play (which is not guaranteed since they'll apparently be making some tweaks to the gameplay itself), then it'll just lag less than if two NTSC-players were palying.
2) You'll be on different continents. The longer the distance, generally, the more the lag.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
lies

The files on the drawl disc come to about 6.7 GB. They are saying that 4 more languages take more than 1.8 GB. The videos don't even need to be localized since there is no voice or text in most of them. Even if doesn't fit for some reason, how long does it take to move the translations to separate discs? I'm offended they think we are that dumb, but I suppose most people will fall for it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The files on the drawl disc come to about 6.7 GB. They are saying that 4 more languages take more than 1.8 GB. The videos don't even need to be localized since there is no voice or text in most of them. Even if doesn't fit for some reason, how long does it take to move the translations to separate discs? I'm offended they think we are that dumb, but I suppose most people will fall for it.
I'm also kinda doubting this. I mean, there's not really much text in the game to begin with. The text's gotta take up a looooot of space to require this.

And how the hell does it take longer than if they were to do just one disc, anyway? I mean, with one disc, they'd have to translate it and then press it. With two discs, they have to translate it and press it. Both ways can be done with the same speed.

D

Deleted member

I think I have the right to bash my own language.

don't you think?
Darn you bloody bilingualists! Darn you all to heck!

I really hope that we can still play with other continents, regardless of any gameplay changes like in Melee (*coughsheikcough*). I know it would be too much to ask, but tripping should be removed and a patch for it put up online.

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
I will laugh my *** off if our PAL version will have hitstun, crouch cancel and lag cancel xD.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Darn you bloody bilingualists! Darn you all to heck!
Then what about us trilinguals (and quite possibly pentalingual since I can understand 5 languages).

I really hope that we can still play with other continents, regardless of any gameplay changes like in Melee (*coughsheikcough*). I know it would be too much to ask, but tripping should be removed and a patch for it put up online.
If they're gonna fix glitches, I don't think so (short of a patch for NTSC). What if the glitch occurs in the NTSC-version but not on the PAL-version? Can someone say "crazy desynching"?

I will laugh my *** off if our PAL version will have hitstun, crouch cancel and lag cancel xD.
And no tripping.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
I find this hard to believe. I dont think this is the reason.

I personally think we're gonna have to wait until September, if so there had better be a bloody good reason.

Although having said that, Sakurai told us in the final update to 'hold on a little longer'. The last time he said that was on January 24th, when it got delayed in America from February 10th - March 9th. Thats roughly 1-and-a-half months from the annoucement of the delay to the eventual release date. This time it came on April 14th, which is roughly 1-and-a-half months away from June 1st, a date that has been strongly suggested in the past. Just imagine if it did turn out to be June 1st, and this entire paragraph of absolute tripe turned out to be absolutely spot-on.

Im aware that was off-topic, and was complete and utter rubbish, but Im just desperately trying to find hope of getting the game without having to wait multiple months.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Why the **** can't people just learn some ****ing English? It's not like it's for toddlers. And the box does say T for TEEN. Teen children should ****ing LEARN ****ING ENGLISH. My mother always gets pissed off by these ****ing Germans because they're too stubborn to learn ****ing English. WHY THE **** GO TO AN ENGLISH OWNED COMPANY THEN?! WHY THE **** BECOMING A BUSINESSMAN!

Okay, Japanese I can understand. They're not too lazy to speak English, they're just too embarrassed. BUT ****ING GERMAN AND FRENCH?! I WANT ****ING DUTCH THEN.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Why the **** can't people just learn some ****ing English? It's not like it's for toddlers. And the box does say T for TEEN. Teen children should ****ing LEARN ****ING ENGLISH. My mother always gets pissed off by these ****ing Germans because they're too stubborn to learn ****ing English. WHY THE **** GO TO AN ENGLISH OWNED COMPANY THEN?! WHY THE **** BECOMING A BUSINESSMAN!

Okay, Japanese I can understand. They're not too lazy to speak English, they're just too embarrassed. BUT ****ING GERMAN AND FRENCH?! I WANT ****ING DUTCH THEN.
How many languages can you speak?

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Dutch and English, and I think Dutch translations are masculine bovine feces.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

Actually, in Europe, the recommended age for Melee was 3+. I don't think that's gonna change significantly for Brawl.

Dutch and English, and I think Dutch translations are masculine bovine feces.
Dutch =/= German. I'm fairly sure the only thing they're translating for the Dutch market is the box.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
People need to wipe this stuid thought from their heads.
There will be lag.
There will always be lag.
It will be a result of connections and adistance.

lag is unavoidable.

If it is really bad lag then that is on yo since I play online regularly on anybody and rarely suffer bad lag.
The lag could be a much smaller problem, really. If they could take down the lag to a level of Mario Strikers Charged-standard, then I would be more than satisfied. The lag didn't exist in that game, as long as the two players had at least average connection.

Opfer

Smash Cadet

Unless me and my brother are the great exception, that's just not true. Every single person here in Germany has to take English at school and I'd be more than happy if they'd just ship the US version to Europe. On the other hand, if you read all the Sakurai interviews, it gets pretty clear that this game is in fact for toddlers.

As for the language files not fitting on the disc: I'm a software developer and unless they have something like 1MB left on the disc, there is no way the language files don't fit on there. So either the entire thing is made up or Nintendo is telling lies.

Top Bottom