• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quick Attack Lock (Please read ENTIRE first post BEFORE posting questions)

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
By now everyone should know what time it is when you hear/see the word "lock"

If someone is on the ground (flat, not tripped) you can repeatedly QA across them and they can't get up

The time window that you have to start the lock is about the same as all the other locks mentioned on the boards around here...

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I can't get another quick attack out before the opponent gets up. What am I doing wrong?
A: Well in order for the quick attack to cancel, you have to aim it into the ground. So just angle the control stick down and towards your opponent. As soon as it finishes, start another using the same method. Also you have to keep in mind the time frame that you have to do it in. Try to do it as close to the time when the opponent first hits the ground as possible

Q: If this works, why hasn't [insert name of another pika main] made a video of it yet?
A: Just take a second to relax. I'm sure you'll see it eventually. And also keep in mind that I'm most likely your favorite pika's favorite pika.

Q: I thought quick attack doesn't have enough stun to keep a person trapped in it
A: Correct, on a standing opponent, it doesn't have enough stun to trap someone. If your opponent misses a tech, you can use it while they're on the ground.

Q: I held A and did the quick headbutts until the opponent hit the ground. I tried to start the lock and he stood back up... what gives?
A: this doesn't work on opponents that fall to the ground from tripping. (Forced or unforced)

Q: does this actually work?
A: Yes.

Q: do you have a video?
A: no, at the moment I don't.

Q: who will be stupid enough to get caught in this?
A: This isn't something that will automatically win tournaments for you. It is something that will help if the oppurtunity ever arises. No matter how frequent or rare they may be...

Q: Does this work indefinitely?
A: no it doesn't. But it does work to a high enough % for killing. No real need to go to 999%

0-200% is pretty easy to keep them in

200-400% the opponent starts to go further to each side as you QA through them

400-999% I don't know what the hell you're going to use to put someone on the ground at this % but you'll most likely end up just quick attacking in one direction. The opponent will still be on the ground, but is out of the quick attack's range to try and go through them the opposite direction

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
By now everyone should know what time it is when you hear/see the word "lock"

If someone is on the ground (flat, not tripped) you can repeatedly QA across them and they can't get up

The time window that you have to start the lock is about the same as all the other locks mentioned on the boards around here...

If your timing isn't too good you can do the jab lock until you get closer to the edge and then QAC past them and start jabs on the other side of em

I think it's better to just repeatedly QAC though

You can rack up damage, then QAC uair into nair. Or any of the several options QAC gives you

I haven't tested it out yet but I think there's enough time to start it up after someone DI's out off pika's down smash and doesn't tech on the ground.

I'm still messing around with other setups for it

I said I wasn't gonna share anymore but I can't help it...

Way ahead of you. It doesn't work because of the low stun frames or because the opponent is to big or whatever...

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
Ok I'm not talking about doing it on a standing opponent or an opponent who was tripped

It won't work on either of those...

second, it doesn't really cause stun. The opponent slightly bounces off the ground the way he/she does when caught in a laser/ice block/jab lock

You aim the QA into the ground at an angle and start another one as soon as you're free to do so

I've had people try to fight their way out of it and couldn't once it started.

If you're having trouble getting it, I suggest trying it some more.

Fully charge an upsmash on a cpu ganon @ 0%, and then once he hits the floor do the angled QA back and forth

You'll see ganon bouncing but not getting up if you're doing it correctly.

Once again this ISN'T on a STANDING or TRIPPED opponent

Also like I said before the time that you're able to do it in is about the same as the other character specific locks.

Not to cause a war, but you're not way ahead of me on this one...

aznzc

Smash Rookie
hmmm no offense to scissors sir, but i have yet to see a descend person that fall on the ground and let you quick attack through them because they would tech off the ground right before they fall on the ground. this tactic will probably work but i don't think it can be used on the competitive level.

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
No offense taken

The example I used of the cpu ganon was just so PltnmNgl could see it actually works.

I wasn't saying that's how the lock should be set up

Just like some people still get caught in falco's laser lock.

It's not something to rely on... but knowing it just gives you another option in case the oppurtunity presents itself

The person(s) I've caught in it so far got hit with an attack and missed their tech.

Even if it isn't a standalone super-ultra-end all technique, it's still useful

And why wouldn't a competitive player add this to his/her arsenal?

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Definitely useful if you can find the opportunity to use it. Thanks for sharing Scissors Sir. ^_^

Anther

Smash Champion
Yeah why are yall so bitter =P? I was disappointed that Pika didn't seem to have a jab-lock or something like that. Thanks Scis =].

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Thank you scissors : ) I cant wait to try it out!

And I thought pikachu had a *** lock? I wasnt sure how but I heard he did.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Actually, try this:

At 0%, up tilt the opponent.

step 2: jump up quickly and footstool the opponent.

step 3: as your opponent lands on the ground, quick attack down at them from above. A footstool landing can't be teched.

step 4: jump cancel the quick attack and repeat it.

Will this work?

dr0go

Smash Apprentice
does this lock work indefenitely or does it end at some point,as to where you can cause 999% damage or can the opponent cant escape until you screw up?

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Scissors, I think it's worth mentioning the footstool jump -> QA lock.

Actually, try this:

At 0%, up tilt the opponent.

step 2: jump up quickly and footstool the opponent.

step 3: as your opponent lands on the ground, quick attack down at them from above. A footstool landing can't be teched.

step 4: jump cancel the quick attack and repeat it.

Will this work?
Yes, I found another way too.

Pikachu's down throw has a fairly constant height for quite awhile. On floaty characters, you can dthrow -> footstool -> QA lock. If they dont go high enough, it's probably because you can chaingrab them and with enough damage can footstool jump them anyways. Granted, you have to time it really well. I've found that at low percents, many characters don't have enough time in the air to get off an aerial, but you have just enough time to do an aerial footstool jump. And at somewhat higher percents, some characters you can footstool while they are tumbling (with quick fingers) since footstools are almost instantaneous Of course you have to judge their DI in some cases, but that shouldnt be too hard.

I havent practiced this on all characters, so someone may be able to get off an aerial on you before you can footstool jump them at low percents and I'm almost certain some characters recover from tumbling in time to attack you no matter what at higher percents, just not sure what the percents are for each character. But heres some examples.

For instance, DK. You have to jump incredibly quickly, but he can be footstool jumped from 0% with a downthrow, and he cannot do any attack that comes out quick enough to harm pikachu at low percents, and if he tries he'll just end up with lag when he lands.

Ike can be also be footstooled from 0% with quick fingers from the downthrow (10% more realistically), and also cannot do any aerial attack that can harm pika in time at low percents.

So yeah, this could turn out to be pretty awesome.

Edit: Ok, after testing this out some more it looks like anyone should be able to escape from the downthrow footstool (I think, again didnt test in on everyone), although its not always the easy or intuitive. It still works well though and if they manage to escape the footstool they sometimes will have lag from what they used to escape.

Scissors Sir

Smash Ace
If you down throw someone who can be chaingrabbed, they're most likely gonna try to frantically fight their way out

Making a footstool jump every now and then an option at low %s I guess...

I've been thinking about using it in a 2on1 team situation.

Once you downthrow your opponent, your teammate could've already double jumped and then just land near the opponent and footstool em.

RedIsShiny

Smash Rookie
Definitely useful if you can find the opportunity to use it. Thanks for sharing Scissors Sir. ^_^
yeah i agree with you but so far i havn't gotten it to work people just do the L/R tech and get back up or roll right away

(totally off topic now)

I like your animated gif can i use it lol :bee:

God_Mains_Pichu

Smash Rookie
Has this been confirmed to work on humans? (or confirmed that it does not?)

Is it just really hard to get out of, or is it actually impossible?

Anther

Smash Champion
If they're laying on the ground, and you quick attack through them, they can't do anything about it until you mess up.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
I hate to resurrect a topic but it's still the best guide there is for QAL. For those who are new to it and need to practice before using it in a real match I suggest going into training mode:

Start off doing a SH > quick attack straight down then QAC > QA straight down > QAC > QA straight down > QAC > QA straight down > ect...

Once you can start to QAC > QAC > QAC > QAC while aiming straight down repeatedly, slowly lean your control stick downleft and downright so that you QAC on a slight diagonal. Spend some time doing this until you get the timing (should be easier this time) then once you have that, let your control stick go a bit higher so that you get more distance in the QAC.

Keep practicing this way until you can move a distance that would encompass a character trapped within. Once you can, take your CPU opponent in training mode, uthrow them and try it out!

I find that this works best while b-sticking

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Wow, i have done something similar to this, but it was against slow characters when they were standing, but it only works until they are smart enough to shield. This seems brilliant! I really need to try it out.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I still feel like a practical use can come of this, probably by what Scissors said, when they fall out of a downsmash. I've been trying but its not as if the opportunity comes up that often. At first I thought this was something that would be impossible to practically do without the b-stick, but after working with it a bit it seems more doable if someone where to put the effort into it. I'm trying but it may take awhile if I can even do it at all.

Press22

Smash Journeyman
I did this in a tournament to about 50% on this one Marth player, he got reallly mad.

Well thats what he gets for counterpicking my Pikachu!

gallax

Smash Hero
if that is possible, then pika will be number one for sure. no doubts. this is getting too serious. if this is possible then pika players will be amazing.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
You cant lock a standing opponenet. a lock is where the opponent cant get out the lock. if you are stadning, qac just hurts him an he can run away. if he is on his back, however, every time he is hit he flops like a migkarp, and cant recover uring the flop. qac'ing back and forth is fast enough to keep him in a perpetual stage of flop.

Your video is not a lock Pikaville, it is just a combo. A very fun looking one lol.

Anther

Smash Champion
Fthrow at percents between 40-60 depending on chars will knock people over if they miss the tech, which makes them free game for a quick attack lock. Also Thunderjolt at around the same range and some earlier percents also knocks people over, so if you quick attack after jolting occasionally you can catch them in the lock.

Sometimes I can get people after a neutral air, but I never really expect that one to work because I think it's just a result of bad DI...

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Most people who know how to play pikachu will try to jump or airdodge after the f-throw, since they don't fall during the chaingrab, making it impossible to lock them...

Top Bottom