• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

semi-useless technique

mesCo

Smash Cadet
If you jump and immediatly after use your side B (the uppercut thing), you have a faster recovery time if its a miss. A regular side B on the ground makes falcon fall over if you miss. If you do it in the air you'll land much softer and faster when you hit the ground.

You can do this immediately after a jump, but it ends up missing if you do it too fast , so its kinda useless. If you wait to get about 1/3 the height of a short hop and do it, it does works. It also looks pretty sweet.

idk if anyone posted this b4 but w/e

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I suppose this works. However, this side b wont knock the opponent into the air as high, and I think will actally leave yourself to be f aired (at low %)

I dont want to start a new topic for this, but if you do what the OP said on a map with an upward slanted ground (like corneria's fin/front, yoshi's island, delfino plaza), it will look like falcon slides forward. I cant think of any uses for this, but it looks cool. On some stages like yoshi's island (where both edges are slanted upwards), it might work as a fast way to recover & get closer to the middle of the map. Not sure if this as been mentioned before.

Mr.Trite

Smash Apprentice
Semi useless? You mean completely useless.
->B is to launch them up, then give you time to uair them or whatever afterwards.
In the air doesn't do anything for you except maybe spiking people who are trying to recover.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
What BananaTrooper is referring to with the slanted edges thing is that Falcon's aerial Raptor Boost has waveland properties if he lands on the ground during the attack. It's like wavedashing/L-Canceling in a way. Since the only possible way for Falcon to touch the ground during the middle of the attack is for him to hit a sloped surface, it is impossible to do this technique on levels like Final Destination and Battlefield. But on levels with irregular surfaces it comes in handy because you suffer no lag (Pirate Ship, Castle Siege, and others).

The OP is right about the lessened lag on flat surfaces though (as long as you're close enough to the ground). The falling animation of the ground Raptor Boost is a Falcon killer, but the landing animation of the short aerial Raptor Boost is not so bad. Also the little "bounce" that the aerial Raptor Boost provides upon striking an object is a nice added bonus. It allows you to not be punished by shielders as easily due to the fact that you bounce over them instead of stopping right in front of them for an easy hit. Unfortunately if your opponent is ready for the short aerial Raptor Boost, they can counterattack easily due to the lack of priority the move has. However the same problem lies in the ground Raptor Boost so there's no real extra disadvantage. Just be careful with whatever form of the Raptor Boost you use.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, no you cant do any attacks while falcon is in the "crouching" position as he slides. Quick attacks like the A jab and grabs can be done fairly quickly after the crouch phase of the slide ends, but it is unlikely these attacks will land. Im thinking this may just be a simple way to mix up how you recover on certain maps (lylat cruise works as well).

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
There are some forms of it where you slide without crouching though, and that allows you to attack perfectly fine.

^Wrong. My bad.

mesCo

Smash Cadet
ok, let me clarify what i mean by semi-useless. The whole point of this was to reduce landing lag when you miss from the raptor boost. However, when you land a hit using this, they spike downwards, so they wont go as high and they would have a good opportunity for a counter-attack. But, a ground raptor boost is deadly if its a miss, as it takes quite a long time to get back up. So, while you lose the opportunity to get them in the air, you also recover nearly twice as fast from a miss. I think this move still may be useful just for variety as well.

mesCo

Smash Cadet
After experimenting with this move for awhile, overall i think a ground raptor boost would be the best in the end. I realize you are left extremely open to attacks after it. However, there are some other benefits. You are invulnerable to grabs, especially good against tethered grabs like samus. Also, immediately after a miss with this you can tab A very quickly and get them before they any serious dmg like smash attacks. Also, if you do it near edge, you won't fall off as easily as a ground raptor boost. Falcon will land on the very edge avoiding falling off. This all works on flat surfaces. But still, a ground side b is the better choice. You can still use aerial side b, but it's not as effective as i first thought.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
There are some forms of it where you slide without crouching though, and that allows you to attack perfectly fine.
Could you clarify this? I don't think its possible to actually slide without the crouching animation. I've tried this on a few maps, and it seems as though you always spend 1/2 your sliding distance in a crouching position (falcon kneeling, touching floor with hand). And since you cant interrupt the crouching position, I don't think you can slide without crouching.

Unless you know of some other method?

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Could you clarify this? I don't think its possible to actually slide without the crouching animation. I've tried this on a few maps, and it seems as though you always spend 1/2 your sliding distance in a crouching position (falcon kneeling, touching floor with hand). And since you cant interrupt the crouching position, I don't think you can slide without crouching.

Unless you know of some other method?
Yeah just I tried it out and I guess I just was remembering how it was in Melee. My bad. Sorry for the bad info. You definitely always get the slide.

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
if you are on the edge, press down or < to ..."dismount"? the edge. jump, 1/3 into the jump near the edge use his side b, back onto the stage, youll slide pretty far....

i saw the topic and said what the hell

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
if you are on the edge, press down or < to ..."dismount"? the edge. jump, 1/3 into the jump near the edge use his side b, back onto the stage, youll slide pretty far....

i saw the topic and said what the hell
The vid I posted a couple posts before this shows exactly what you described.
:)

Top Bottom