• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Keep Losing? Try this...

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
The majority of players never improve that noticeably because they tend to focus on the wrong aspects of the game. They focus on their particular character and what moves they feel are good for their character, while ignoring the biggest hurdle that is preventing them from making giant leaps of improvement: the basics. These are the fundamentals that can be applied to every character in any smash brothers game.

When playing with various people I frequently hear someone say after just losing a stock, "****, I should have done ______" and they ponder what they should have done differently in that particular situation. What they SHOULD be thinking is, "how did I let myself get up to 150% before that last hit removed a stock"

When people ask Isai (undisputed best ssb and great ssbm player) what they should be doing differently he replies, "don't get hit". Because Isai is known for his eccentricity, most players laugh and shrug this invaluable piece of advice off. Azen is also noted for saying "don't jump into the ****" which is essentially the same piece of advice.

Friends, do not make the mistake of taking these words lightly. Think about them carefully. That being said, I believe these are the two most important aspects of any smash brothers game:

1) Spacing
2) Minimizing Risks

Spacing - One of the most common mistakes I see is that players will focus most of their attention on their own character, while looking at their opponent with their peripheral vision. This should be the opposite...why do you need to look at your own character that intently? You know what you are going to do...what you don't know is what your opponent is going to do. You can't space yourself properly if you aren't looking at your opponent.

The biggest hurdle to proper spacing is movement. Try watching a random youtube brawl video and notice the use of only THREE types of movement.

a)rolling
b)jumping towards the opponent
c)dashing

Let's say characters (A) and (B) are facing each other with a space in between them: (A)_______________(B) . Character (A) decides to perform a short hop aerial that has little lag towards (B). Most players will either roll or dash away. You can block as well, but let's say (A) is Marth who is spacing himself at a distance that you can't shield grab afterwards. What many people fail to consider is simply WALKING a half an inch away. Now you are in a position to execute any command at your disposal. By rolling, or dashing away...you cannot immediately execute another command until the rolling/dashing animation has finished. You have to realize this isn't a demonstration on what you should do in a particular situation, but it is only meant to illustrate the benefits of walking to properly space yourself. Walking can also be used to avoid dash attacks. Smash brothers registers such fine movements on the analog stick that many times it is hard to notice any change in movement and your opponent may just interpret that situation as a missed dash attack when in reality you spaced yourself by moving slightly out of its range. This also applies to jumping. When you do an aerial attack toward an opponent, you don't need to jam your analog stick all the way towards them. Brawl allows you to have a lot of aerial control so that you can allow yourself to hit them with the very tip of your attack, thus protecting your body as much as you can.

Now that you are no longer harnessed by the movement constraints of the predictable scrub, let's look at two common glaring instances of poor spacing. When an opponent has either fallen on the ground, or is hanging on the edge in a position that they are able to do a "get up-attack" , you constantly see people getting hit by their opponent attacking out of those defensive positions. People tend to face the dilemma of not wanting to get hit, but also wanting to be close enough to punish their attack. All this requires is carefully walking to the safest distance. Unfortunately, most people get hit...take the 7% (i don't know how much it really is) damage and shrug it off. Who cares it's only 7%. But it is these small attacks that add up to the final blow that takes your stock off.

Poor spacing leads to another big problem I see: spamming/committing to attacks. When players poorly space themselves and find themselves close to their opponent in a position they had not predicted, the mashing of buttons ensues. Avoid this at ALL costs, every command should be carefully executed and intentional. Furthermore, if you properly spaced yourself there is no need to panic and hit random buttons since you are at a safe distance from them (you ARE at a safe distance right?).

Also, you should never fully commit to an attack if your opponent has reacted differently than you intended. What I mean is you should never have a preconceived notion of what you are going to do, regardless of what your opponent is doing. You are probably thinking that you don't do this...but we are all of guilty of doing it one time or another. Let's go back to that first example of the two characters facing each other. Let's say as Marth you intend to do a f-air toward character (B) but at the last second you see (B)'s shield go up. Many players are unable to quickly make another decision so they decide to commit to their first intention of doing a fair, in which they will most likely get shield grabbed. Now let's turn the tables and say I am player (B) who is holding the block. Let's say that the Marth notices the shield go up and adjusts his attack so that the fair goes through the block and ends up on the opposite side of character (B). I don't know how many players I've done this to who still tries to shield grab despite me being on the opposite side of them. This is because they had the notion that they were going to shield grab and were unable to adjust when Marth ended up on the other side of them. Do not fall into this trap of committing to attacks too often. You should constantly be adjusting what you are doing in reaction to what your opponent is doing.

Minimizing Risks can probably be best illustrated with an example. Let's say Marth and Sheik are facing each other and Sheik is blocking. Bad Marth players are notorious for spamming his forward smash, but in this situation, it is the most risky command you can perform. The Sheik has 5 options while holding block. She can:

1) continue holding block
2) roll left
3) roll right
4) spot dodge
5) jump

Assuming that Sheik chooses at random what move to do, the only way you are going to connect is if she jumps. That means at random, you have an 80% chance of being punished for this decision. This usually translates to mainly relying on moves that don't have a lot of lag, but defensively this concept is invaluable. If you just got hit off the stage and your opponent is waiting for you to get back on, many players will try to time an aerial so they hit the person trying to edgeguard them. You take the risk of being sent even further off the stage, whereas it is MUCH less risky to wait for them to approach you and air dodge back on the stage.

On a side note, doing these things alone probably won't win you games. You need to find creative ways to hit your opponent. Forget about terms such as "mindgames", which gets thrown around way too often. Just worry about playing smart. The majority of youtube brawl videos I see look more like turnbased RPGs than smash brothers. One person attacks, then another person immediately approaches and attacks, and on and on. You need to be able to have enough control over your game that you can prevent yourself from immediately executing a command. This is why rolling works so well against so many players. Players are unable to pause even for a moment in their flurry of attacks and movements.

In order to combine these principles effectively, most people must abandon bad habits which initially will most likely make you perform worse. This also means that you will probably have to slow your game down. Furthermore, playing against computers nonchalantly reinforces committing to attacks, spamming, and poor spacing because they do not tend to punish you for your mistakes. You may have heard the popular phrase, "practice makes perfect". I do not agree entirely with this adage, but feel that Vince Lombardi was closer to the truth: "practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect". If you are going to practice against a computer, I find the most effective way to do this is by playing a level 1-3 (no higher) CPU and take it seriously. Make every move hit, and make sure every move is intentional. Don't worry about combos and flashiness. Worry about being in complete control of your character. Move around, put yourself in awkward situations. You don't have to constantly be attacking as if you were recording a combo video. Slow your game down and you will think of different things to do in different situations.

In summation...don't get hit.

Repulse X

Smash Apprentice
good read..." Unfortunately, most people get hit...take the 7% (i don't know how much it really is) damage and shrug it off. Who cares it's only 7%. But it is these small attacks that add up to the final blow that takes your stock off."

that was verry important seeing as how alot of people think about how they should have dodged the last smash that killed them when whats even more important are the little attacks that led up to the final kill

Daea

Smash Cadet
I liked everything you said, but as a matter of clarification - wouldn't the marth in your "committing to attacks" scenario be shield grabbed anyway? The first case would be to continue with the fair at current distance, which, if not spaced properly, will result in a shield grab. The second, your take, would be to get even closer and try to fair and pass through...? Wouldn't it be logical for someone who's trying to shield grab you in the first place to have an even easier time if you're that close? Barring the situation that your opponent is unresponsive enough to let you get that close and even pass through them before going for an empty grab, I don't see how said situation really applies, unless I'm interpreting it entirely incorrectly.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Good thread.

Basics on "playing smart."

Threads like this come and go, but it is good to teach everyone basic mindsets on how to win every now and then.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
it actually does happen quite often, even against very skilled players. what i mean is marth does the fair so it goes past the shield and when u hit the ground u land on the opposite side, the sheik is holding block the whole time and has no time to shield grab you

EDIT: It happened a few times against KDJ yesterday, but I'm pretty sure it was the lag online rather than his lack of skill/knowledge that made him continue with the shield grab (lol at my wall of text)

Daea

Smash Cadet
ohh okay, I guess I could see where you're coming from then, thanks for clearing that up.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Good thread. With the recent influx of seemingly newer players on these boards this will no doubt come in handy for them. And even more experienced players sometimes forget the real simple stuff, so this is a good reminder to them.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
What are the "wrong aspects" that player focus on?
Perhaps "wrong aspects" wasn't the most accurate words to use. What I mean is players focus on such little matters that will only make minor improvements in their game.

Guildenstern

Smash Apprentice
Also, you should never fully commit to an attack if your opponent has reacted differently than you intended. What I mean is you should never have a preconceived notion of what you are going to do, regardless of what your opponent is doing.
THIS. This is my single worst bad habit. Still working on it.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Nice explanation. These aspects are so often shrugged under the table while the advanced stuff gets full attention. But it´s all common sense and most people seem to forget that completely. If you are about to be blocked you don´t attack or you change your tactic simple as that. In a real life sword fight you wouldn´t attack someone who is awaiting that since it will get you punished. And its the exact same for this game. This is what the discussions about mindgames should be about just common battle principles.

I know 1 player in the Netherlands who continuously shows me the easy way to win. His name is Faab. Time and time I notice that he doesn´t look for the most complex or flashy or common way to handle a situation.
Simple example: When a docter mario was returning and did his down B recovery near the edge Faab(sheik) had to leave the edge and find a way to edge hog the dr mario. Most of the time shieks do this by fast ledge dashing to edge hoggs or hitting the doctor mario at just the right time with riscy bairs. But not Faab he just did a jump of the edge (jumpbutton on the ledge) at the right time avoiding the entire down B of doctor mario then landed on the edge again and edge hogged the doctor mario.

Instead of all that complicated **** other shieks do he just did that and gets the same result. And he constantly shows me stuff like this time and time again. New players seem to focus learning the advanced stuff as fast as they can then claim that to be the only real way to play much like the scrubs that claim you should play limited. They completely exclude the other simple options they have.

I remember the amazement of a lot of players as well when azen f-smashes like 40 times in a teams match and wins. But he's doing it at a completely different level then the f-smash noobs. I gues it just comes down to know your options, an advice I can't give often enough.

You managed to line this out really well and I think this post should be mandatory to read for any new player joining the smash community^^. Maybe that way we can actually get rid of the pointless debates on this forum about the lameness of glitches or dumb judgements of new players in the video discussion.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
I really appreciate the feedback guys...I was almost afraid to post this because I didn't know how it would be received.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So basically you took what is essentially common sense (though not very common on these boards apparently) and made a long essay out of it? I'm just saying, you could've said that without making such a long wall of text.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
So basically you took what is essentially common sense (though not very common on these boards apparently) and made a long essay out of it? I'm just saying, you could've said that without making such a long wall of text.
So you think if I had just said, "space yourself and play smart" that would have been just as effective? Although I'm not a fantastic smasher, I got to be a ranked tournament player in my state with virtually no experience by dwelling on these concepts.

EDIT: This post wasn't intended for those already great at this game, it was meant for those who are struggling to improve. Everybody and their sister has heard "play smart, use mindgames, spacing is important", but for many, these are empty phrases that are beginning to lose meaning because of their repetition.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So you think if I had just said, "space yourself and play smart" that would have been just as effective? Although I'm not a fantastic smasher, I got to be a ranked tournament player in my state with virtually no experience by dwelling on these concepts.
No, but there are two kinds of extremes in this case: Too little and too much.

"Space yourself and play smart" = Too little and not helpful enough
"Your opening post" = Too much, hyperbole, repetitive and Wall of Text. A lot of users will start reading it and tire halfway through. Others just won't bother to read it at all because it's too long

My point is that it could be shortened considerably without losing much if any content and still be helpful. New users to whom common sense in Smash doesn't apply usually don't read through Wall of Texts either.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
To be fair, I'm new to Smash, and even though I kinda knew this stuff already, I felt that the post was very helpful. It could have been written better, but I've yet to see a better version of this easily accessible on the Brawl boards.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
The majority of players never improve that noticeably because they tend to focus on the wrong aspects of the game. They focus on their particular character and what moves they feel are good for their character, while ignoring the biggest hurdle that is preventing them from making giant leaps of improvement: the basics. These are the fundamentals that can be applied to every character in any smash brothers game.

When playing with various people I frequently hear someone say after just losing a stock, "****, I should have done ______" and they ponder what they should have done differently in that particular situation. What they SHOULD be thinking is, "how did I let myself get up to 150% before that last hit removed a stock"

When people ask Isai (undisputed best ssb and great ssbm player) what they should be doing differently he replies, "don't get hit". Because Isai is known for his eccentricity, most players laugh and shrug this invaluable piece of advice off. Azen is also noted for saying "don't jump into the ****" which is essentially the same piece of advice.

Friends, do not make the mistake of taking these words lightly. Think about them carefully. That being said, I believe these are the two most important aspects of any smash brothers game:

1) Spacing
2) Minimizing Risks

Spacing - One of the most common mistakes I see is that players will focus most of their attention on their own character, while looking at their opponent with their peripheral vision. This should be the opposite...why do you need to look at your own character that intently? You know what you are going to do...what you don't know is what your opponent is going to do. You can't space yourself properly if you aren't looking at your opponent.

The biggest hurdle to proper spacing is movement. Try watching a random youtube brawl video and notice the use of only THREE types of movement.

a)rolling
b)jumping towards the opponent
c)dashing

Let's say characters (A) and (B) are facing each other with a space in between them: (A)_______________(B) . Character (A) decides to perform a short hop aerial that has little lag towards (B). Most players will either roll or dash away. You can block as well, but let's say (A) is Marth who is spacing himself at a distance that you can't shield grab afterwards. What many people fail to consider is simply WALKING a half an inch away. Now you are in a position to execute any command at your disposal. By rolling, or dashing away...you cannot immediately execute another command until the rolling/dashing animation has finished. You have to realize this isn't a demonstration on what you should do in a particular situation, but it is only meant to illustrate the benefits of walking to properly space yourself. Walking can also be used to avoid dash attacks. Smash brothers registers such fine movements on the analog stick that many times it is hard to notice any change in movement and your opponent may just interpret that situation as a missed dash attack when in reality you spaced yourself by moving slightly out of its range. This also applies to jumping. When you do an aerial attack toward an opponent, you don't need to jam your analog stick all the way towards them. Brawl allows you to have a lot of aerial control so that you can allow yourself to hit them with the very tip of your attack, thus protecting your body as much as you can.

Now that you are no longer harnessed by the movement constraints of the predictable scrub, let's look at two common glaring instances of poor spacing. When an opponent has either fallen on the ground, or is hanging on the edge in a position that they are able to do a "get up-attack" , you constantly see people getting hit by their opponent attacking out of those defensive positions. People tend to face the dilemma of not wanting to get hit, but also wanting to be close enough to punish their attack. All this requires is carefully walking to the safest distance. Unfortunately, most people get hit...take the 7% (i don't know how much it really is) damage and shrug it off. Who cares it's only 7%. But it is these small attacks that add up to the final blow that takes your stock off.

Poor spacing leads to another big problem I see: spamming/committing to attacks. When players poorly space themselves and find themselves close to their opponent in a position they had not predicted, the mashing of buttons ensues. Avoid this at ALL costs, every command should be carefully executed and intentional. Furthermore, if you properly spaced yourself there is no need to panic and hit random buttons since you are at a safe distance from them (you ARE at a safe distance right?).

Also, you should never fully commit to an attack if your opponent has reacted differently than you intended. What I mean is you should never have a preconceived notion of what you are going to do, regardless of what your opponent is doing. You are probably thinking that you don't do this...but we are all of guilty of doing it one time or another. Let's go back to that first example of the two characters facing each other. Let's say as Marth you intend to do a f-air toward character (B) but at the last second you see (B)'s shield go up. Many players are unable to quickly make another decision so they decide to commit to their first intention of doing a fair, in which they will most likely get shield grabbed. Now let's turn the tables and say I am player (B) who is holding the block. Let's say that the Marth notices the shield go up and adjusts his attack so that the fair goes through the block and ends up on the opposite side of character (B). I don't know how many players I've done this to who still tries to shield grab despite me being on the opposite side of them. This is because they had the notion that they were going to shield grab and were unable to adjust when Marth ended up on the other side of them. Do not fall into this trap of committing to attacks too often. You should constantly be adjusting what you are doing in reaction to what your opponent is doing.

Minimizing Risks can probably be best illustrated with an example. Let's say Marth and Sheik are facing each other and Sheik is blocking. Bad Marth players are notorious for spamming his forward smash, but in this situation, it is the most risky command you can perform. The Sheik has 5 options while holding block. She can:

1) continue holding block
2) roll left
3) roll right
4) spot dodge
5) jump

Assuming that Sheik chooses at random what move to do, the only way you are going to connect is if she jumps. That means at random, you have an 80% chance of being punished for this decision. This usually translates to mainly relying on moves that don't have a lot of lag, but defensively this concept is invaluable. If you just got hit off the stage and your opponent is waiting for you to get back on, many players will try to time an aerial so they hit the person trying to edgeguard them. You take the risk of being sent even further off the stage, whereas it is MUCH less risky to wait for them to approach you and air dodge back on the stage.

On a side note, doing these things alone probably won't win you games. You need to find creative ways to hit your opponent. Forget about terms such as "mindgames", which gets thrown around way too often. Just worry about playing smart. The majority of youtube brawl videos I see look more like turnbased RPGs than smash brothers. One person attacks, then another person immediately approaches and attacks, and on and on. You need to be able to have enough control over your game that you can prevent yourself from immediately executing a command. This is why rolling works so well against so many players. Players are unable to pause even for a moment in their flurry of attacks and movements.

In order to combine these principles effectively, most people must abandon bad habits which initially will most likely make you perform worse. This also means that you will probably have to slow your game down. Furthermore, playing against computers nonchalantly reinforces committing to attacks, spamming, and poor spacing because they do not tend to punish you for your mistakes. You may have heard the popular phrase, "practice makes perfect". I do not agree entirely with this adage, but feel that Vince Lombardi was closer to the truth: "practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect". If you are going to practice against a computer, I find the most effective way to do this is by playing a level 1-3 (no higher) CPU and take it seriously. Make every move hit, and make sure every move is intentional. Don't worry about combos and flashiness. Worry about being in complete control of your character. Move around, put yourself in awkward situations. You don't have to constantly be attacking as if you were recording a combo video. Slow your game down and you will think of different things to do in different situations.

In summation...don't get hit.
Very well written. On my better days I usually use these tactics very well, especially in Brawl. But on another note, I usually predict what people will do well enough anyway, and I'm talking about people that aren't really scrubs (sometimes i see scrubs though)

Ekimaster

Smash Cadet
If you're this Marth, SH:ing against the opponent, planning to fair, and the opponent shields, you have several options as i see it. I'd like to mention one of them. I don't know how useful it is, but to me it seems like it'll get pretty usefull. Empry jump. You short hop against the opponent, who shields, waiting for your attack. Now, you don't attack. You land, and with almost no lag, do whatever you want, like grabbing.

So, does this work? I'm in Europe, so I haven't played the game yet :(

JettythatSamus

Smash Apprentice
No, but there are two kinds of extremes in this case: Too little and too much.

"Space yourself and play smart" = Too little and not helpful enough
"Your opening post" = Too much, hyperbole, repetitive and Wall of Text. A lot of users will start reading it and tire halfway through. Others just won't bother to read it at all because it's too long

My point is that it could be shortened considerably without losing much if any content and still be helpful. New users to whom common sense in Smash doesn't apply usually don't read through Wall of Texts either.
It was good. I was reading and thinking, "I wonder who will be the first person who DIDN'T write this, and probably wasn't planning to, to come in and be objective and judgemental."

That person is you.

I knew all the advanced techniques in melee and was very good, but this thread still helped me because I couldn't change my thinking, had bad habits, and was too busy being a victim of the whole "improve your mindgames" bit. Now while playing brawl I'm remembering more to keep control of my character, watch my opponent, and change up. This thread strengthened what I'm already picking up. It was well written and a good read. If someone doesn't have the discipline to slow down and read some good advice, this game isn't for them and they'll progress as much as they can and then stop. I'm not content with that. Let's not try and help those who don't want to help themselves.

Forget about terms such as "mindgames", which gets thrown around way too often.
This was great.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
Yuna, I agree it wasn't the most concise thread, but I'm not perfect...and I couldn't find another way to get everything out of my mind without a long post...and once I got past like 2 pages I didn't really feel the need to worry about length since it was silly-long anyway.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
This is some amazing **** right here. I used to play Meta Knight a lot and got so used to pressuring my opponent with constant FAirs, that it carried over to my new mains and I never took second-guessing into account. Thanks a ton:psycho:

Pustulio

Smash Ace
Probably out eating some dirt or something.
Dude, you need to become a philosopher.

That was great. Although smash isn't my main passion in life it is a great game and I look to improve, maybe win some matches in tourneys (lol) to be honest, as far as tourneys go I stunk in Melee, I am feeling much more comfortable with this fresh start with Brawl, I have time to catch up to the techs and I had been getting so caught up in all that crap you talked about, in fact according to that post I was on the completely wrong path to improve greatly and that really has redirected me. Thank you, I feel you deserve to have journeyman or whatever taken off your title and have the admins let you have "GOD OF PHILOSOPHY" on it.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
If people are not going to read the whole thing, then let them lose at the game while the rest that actually want to follow his advice can go on and beat Apollo Creed.

Plus, there is an actual chance people will read his post on the simple fact that it is not another Melee vs. Brawl rant, but rather a post designed to actually help people. I know it'll help me.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
You may have heard the popular phrase, "practice makes perfect". I do not agree entirely with this adage, but feel that Vince Lombardi was closer to the truth: "practice does not make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect". If you are going to practice against a computer, I find the most effective way to do this is by playing a level 1-3 (no higher) CPU and take it seriously. Make every move hit, and make sure every move is intentional.
For those who train alone often this is very important. (Melee) My friends always wonder how I do so well against them just from practicing against Lvl.1 CPUs. Practicing combos and learning the spacing of your character's attacks are great things that you master when you practice against them, as well as command of your entire moveset. When a low-level smasher practices against a Lvl.9 CPU he/she only really learns how to time one strong attack well, and their strategy is usually "Defensive option -> smash attack" because that is all that is needed to defeat an AI of such quality. I used to practice this way, and it took me a really long time to break those habits and master other attacks. To me, the saying, "practice makes perfect" goes along with "practice makes permanent ", don't practice the wrong way or it can really mislead you. Thats all I wanted to add.

Very nice read, it really makes sense now that I think about it. I always wonder what I could have done after I get killed but never wonder how I got up to that high % in the first place. "Don't get hit", thanks for the advice!

Defiance

Smash Apprentice
Very good read, mind you i didn't go through the whole thing, but most of it. I like to see posts like this. I'm a casual player, a decent one i think, but not in the competetive level and i always feel people get lost in "mad combos" "mindgames" "advanced techs" and all that other black smoke. Seeing some really critical and basic advice is nice. I think i'm going to go try a few rounds against low level AI actually, have to work on my spot dodge....

As for it being to long, those who want to get better will read it, those who don't want to read it probably aren't that serious about getting better.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
I really enjoyed reading this, very well written I'll have to get one of my friends to do so. He's one of those who went straight into the advanced stuff. Who knows, maybe the brawl "slowness" will place a greater emphasis on actually thinking and being creative, instead of guaranteeing that x move can follow y move. Even without thinking this, I've seen thinking take people down despite disparity in skill. *applauds cwjalex*

-Mars-

Smash Hero
This thread is excellent, nice to see exceptional work like this!

Lightmaster

Smash Rookie
OMG. I have to thank you so much. Especially for the tip of keeping my focus on the opponent and leaving my character to my peripheral vision. So simple, so basic, and it's such common sense, and I regret letting my potential slip because of not doing this a long time ago.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Very nice post. :)

I've noticed a few other things related to this:

1. So many players who commit themselves to "camping" (because they heard it's a powerful strategy now) forget the most important part: a game plan when their opponent gets close to them. Bad campers are really easy to beat in this game. Most of them limit themselves to 3 options out of their shield when i'm near them: grab, roll away, or spotdodge. In this instance, I could space myself to land out of their grab range and do whatever the hell I want to do to them. Why those 3 options, and not anything else? Most characters can jump out of their shield and do an aerial, up b or up smash out of their shield, or drop their shield and do a number of other things including nothing.

2. I saw a random Youtube match earlier today which I found hilarious. It was Olimar vs. Lucas, and Lucas's game of "spam and run" was beaten by his opponent with rolling through the PK Fire and down smashing during its lag, and his opponent continued to do the same thing all match. It was as if the Lucas player had a part of the match rehearsed in his head "hit with PK Fire" and wouldn't be content if that part of the match didn't go as expected, so instead of doing just about anything else, he keeps spamming PK Fire and getting punished the exact same way. Good players notice when whatever they were doing stops working, and think of something else to do.

3. This should go without saying, but why do people only seem to use 1/10 of their character's movesets? Even when I was playing Zelda in Melee (who only pretty much had 2 "good" moves), I still managed to find a use for almost all of her other moves. I see so many players who have their 3 favorite things to spam over and over (usually smashes or b moves), but when their opponents catch on and adapts, they continue to use the same 3 moves when practically anything else their character could do would have been a better idea. Learn to make use of all your characters' attacks, including tilts, smashes, b moves, and aerials (I know, some moves like Ganon u-tilt are a bad idea in most matches). There are situations where almost every move in the game could be useful. And as a bonus, it makes you significantly less predictable, and damage scaling will effect you less.

Top Bottom