• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to the SWF Finder

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
A Guide to the SWF Finder
Preface:
Thanks to Smash Brothers Brawl's new online play feature, we can play more games than ever against other players. We can vastly improve our skills also. But more importantly we can have more fun. Now lets say you are like me and can wipe the floor with the average online player. If you are reading this on the Smash World Forums you are likely to be better than the average joe. If that is the case, the SWF (Smash World Forums) Finder is just the thing for you to find more people like you.
First Steps:
First of all, go to your User CP. Under 'Edit Profile -> Additional Information (column)' there should be some text fields you can fill out. The only required fields (swf finder) are your brawl friend code and your location. Why do I have to put in my location you might ask. Simple. You will be hard pressed finding someone who will fight you. When entering your friend code it needs to be in this format: ####-####-####.
If you don't know your friend code, don't fret!

Just go to wifi play and select 'with friends' and then select 'friend roster.' Your friend code should be on the top tab.

Once you enter your friend code, double check it. Now triple check it.
If you don't have it correct, then no one can play you.
Now for your location, you want to put your STATE or PROVIDENCE. If you do NOT live in the United States of America, put your country also. This will add your location on your SWF Finder tab.
Here is the link to the SWF Finder
http://smashboards.com/ff/
Bookmark it.

Lets move on

Now that we have all that settled we can move on to the fun stuff.
Once you visit the page you will find your way to an interface.
It should consist of 3 columns in the main window. They are:

Seeking Brawl: People who are at their computer right now waiting for a challenge to challenging people.
Online: People who are online on the SWF finder but not necessarily at their computer.
Brawling: People who are currently in a brawl with someone else.
On the bottom of the screen, there should be two drop down menus and one text field.
The First and MOST IMPORTANT drop down menu is the status menu. You set your status from here. I will repeat what each one means:
Seeking Brawl: People who are at their computer right now waiting for a challenge to challenging people.
Online: People who are online on the SWF finder but not necessarily at their computer.
Brawling: People who are currently in a brawl with someone else.
It is very important you set yourself to the right status.
The second drop down menu is the room menu. With this menu you can sort your view so you only see other people in the room. It may become useful when there are more people are on the swf finder.

You can view the reference pic at the bottom of the guide for more info

Now for the Status field:

This field is important since you can put some text under your tab for others to see.
Here is a list of things people put under their name in general:

• No items
  • (Certain stage, i.e. Final Destination Only!)
  • East/West Coast Only!
  • Aim: Your aim here
  • 3/4/5 Stock matches
  • Looking for skilled players
Once you have the message you want inside the text field, press update

How to find a fight:

To pick a fight with someone, just left click their name.
Now a confirmation screen will pop up. After you press ok, a message will be sent to them.
Seeking Brawl: Give them 1 minute to reply before another person
Online: Give them 5 minutes to reply before challenging another person.
You don't want to spam challenges because people will remember your name when you don't show when they accept and not want to play with you.
When you get your reply, you should get the other person's friend code. They will receive yours as well. You want to add their code to your friends list on the ssbb wifi screen.
If you are the challenger, start a game.
If you are NOT the challenger, wait for your opponent to start up a game
That about raps it up!
Various Tips for Online Play:
  • It would be a good idea to include your aim in your status field. If you don't know what aim is, it is an instant messaging service. You can talk to the person on the other end. Be sure to be courteous. This is a good way to make friends. Also you can contact them over aim to see if they want to play a game. Some people make you contact them over aim to accept your challenge.
  • Keep it Clean! No one wants to play with someone who has a cuss word assigned to one of their taunts and uses it repeatedly.
  • Taunts: There is a little thing I call taunting rights. It's a small rule which tells when it is alright to taunt someone in a competitive match. The rule of thumb is that if you are fighting someone who you struggle to defeat, don't taunt. It's an insult and they will take it as an insult. If you totally wipe out an enemy, lets say you kill them with only 23% damage on you, then it is ok to taunt. If you come back from on the stage after dieing and kill them immediately, don't taunt.
What to do in situations concerning the SWF Finder
  • If you were to challenge two people, and the first doesn't join our game for some reason, and you challenged another person and the first wants in, DENY him. He should of acted quicker.
  • If you were to challenge someone and then after a couple minutes he doesn't reply and you were to challenge another person and then the first replies, you have to wait for the second person for 2-3 minutes. If they respond within the time limit, they get the game with you. If they don't, then the first person gets priority.
  • If a person brings in a second person while you are supposed to be playing a 1vs1, then try to work things out over aim (see the value now?). If he doesn't have aim or you don't, either, but teams on and pop in a computer lvl 9 on your side or just leave.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reference Picture:
(Click to enlarge)

-----

Here is an image I made you can post in threads asking
"where can I play online"

[noparse]
[/noparse]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Q & A

None yet!

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
server issues, the friend finder is down currently, hopefully it will be fixed soon. You can always add my aim. Kurtvegita

I'd be more than happy to play

peabody

Smash Rookie
Same problem here. Not complaining as, having done some web app development myself, I know how difficult these things are. However, it seems that having a policy of not using the boards for match-ups leaves us no other alternative.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
bottom part of the swf finder, text area. Type something in and press update

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
As I mentioned before, the Friend Finder is absolutely great, and virtually all matches I've had online have been thanks to this. However, as an European, I spend several minutes each time browsing through the many US players to find the odd European one, if there's even one online.

I would absolutely love it if there was a way I could filter players by continent, either by simply having a separate copy of the FF for Europeans, or having a new state ("Online", "Offline", "Brawling") that read "European". Would that be possible? I'm sure even the US players would appreciate that (though as I mentioned, there's usually very few Euro players so I guess it's not that much of an issue for US ones).

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
hmmm... thats a problem. It isn't possible with this version of friend finder, but remember that this version is just a beta version. Thats a good idea which I hope will be added to the next beta version!

If it is added, it will probably be a room you can select like the 1vs1 room. Maybe (Europe 1vs1, Europe 2v2)

SoliceTK

Smash Rookie
One question, a lot of the time when I use the FF it freezes for a few seconds and I cant do anything for a while. Also sometimes when I put in new info, like changing my status, it won't change for a while or I have to refresh the whole page which takes even longer. Is this all normal or is it just me?

Heevar_Lewlson

Smash Cadet
I noticed some people have some words in bold and on different lines in their comment, like

Game: 1v1
Items: No
Stages: Any Neutral stages

and so on, yet I can't seem to do the same. I tried using HTML in the text box to no avail, and even just copying and pasting what that person had just to check, and it came out all unformatted in one line. Is there some place you can set that Friend Finder will pull data from and display it like that? Or am I just missing something really obvious... lol

YoshiPwnsAll

Smash Rookie
My page doesn't load. What applicatiosn to you need for it to work? (javascript, quicktime , etc.) I really need someone to play with!

Glick

Smash Lord
You should add a small messenger to this, that way you don't have to use 3rd party clients like AIM.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
This is a great guide. I wish more people knew about the friend finder. It's often difficult to find people who live in Ohio or somewhere close by where the connection would be good for me. It seems like only a handfull of people are on it and the majority of them are either from California or New York.

KiZza69

Smash Rookie
WTF i never get the message that pops up on my sceen and asks me to confirm a fight anybody know wats wrong

also my pop up blocker is off

swim2007

Smash Apprentice
why everytime i that I try to challenge someone do I get error #5? It says that I can't challenge the anyone but people can challenge me. I dont get it...

Also whenever I use the friend finder my whole computer lags....

Anyone got solid answers?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone needs to be told when and when not to taunt. If people end up making *******s of themselves, that's their prerogative.

Also, the word is province. >.>

Top Bottom