• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slidestepping

kupo15

Smash Hero
Main Point: Pit slides forward a little bit after his sidestep.

Usually I don't sidestep much because by the time your sidestep animation is done, your opponent's attack is done and they can attack. Its usually pointless unless you play against a really slow character. (slower that Ike even) Thats what I feel because my attacks usually get blocked after I sidestep for some reason.

However, I noticed something different and unique about Pit's sidestep. If you know this I apologize. Pit is the only one that I know who can slides forward a little after a sidestep.

But what Pit can do is immediately grab out of sidestepping and because of his animation, sidestepping into a grab looks like one fluid motion. You get the extra reach like a pivot grab except a bit easier with invincibility frames.

And on that note, you can attack out of a sidestep . All B's work great (most likely not up B), and all standard A attacks work great for quick attacks after the dodge. Side tilt is the slowest.

Another good application to this is when landing on the ground, instead of air dodging into a roll without the shield popping up, air dodge into a sidestep into a grab/attack. If you do the grab right, you can air dodge, sidestep and grab in ONE fluid motion WITHOUT having the shield popping up!! The same goes with the attacks. Seems useful to me.

All characters can do this but Pit seems like the easiest and the fact that he slides forward a little is what this post is about.

I know this seems really small but I believe this is good to know for Pit players. It is on the table. What do you guys think about it?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Usually I don't sidestep much because by the time your sidestep animation is done, your opponent's attack is done and they can attack. Its usually pointless unless you play against a really slow character. (slower that Ike even)
I read the rest of the post but what do you mean about this?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh, what I mean is when an opponent attacks especially a fast character and even the slow ones, I sidestep thinking that a sidestep is quicker to attack out of from than a roll. This is somewhat true because you haven't moved so you are within attack range.

But I have noticed in Melee and in Brawl that sidestepping is not always beneficial because I think that the sidestep animation is too long. It has too much lag before allowing you to pull off a move so that when you have recovered from the sidestep ready to attack, so has your opponent recovered from their attack that you just sidestepped from. This almost always allows them to shield my attack and then grab me which is why I believe that sidestepping can be pointless to an extent. Pit's sidestep however is different than any other character's sidestep and I think his is the best.

This doesn't not apply to attacks that produce a lot of lag like Bowser's down B. Sidestepping works here.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
I think your post is basically saying, 'Pit's spot-dodge/side-step is awesome for these reasons.'

The truth is, spot-dodging has always been that awesome. I use it and **** my friends. My friends don't use it as much and they get *****. That's the difference. People underestimate it. It's like spacing but replacing spacing (wavedash) with timing.

I've never found the side-step too long. The only time I've mistrusted it is when my opponent uses an attack that has a slow start-up (charging a smash) that I spot-dodge too early.

No seriously. I spot-dodged all teh time as Falco in Melee. Of course, it doesn't help as much when your opponent is drillshining you and you don't get a chance to counter pillar because the drillshine has no lag frames.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh, I never knew there was a name for it. Is spot dodging when you perfectly grab the frame after the sidestep? Or is it that when Pit slides forward a little coming out of a sidestep because I have never seen that happening before. Everyone's sidestep animation is literally a side step whereas Pit's sidestep animation is pivot back then forward which provides for the sliding.
I have never seen anyone in a different spot on the stage coming out of a sidestep than they were before it.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I never knew there was a name for it. Is spot dodging when you perfectly grab the frame after the sidestep? Or is it that when Pit slides forward a little coming out of a sidestep because I have never seen that happening before. Everyone's sidestep animation is literally a side step whereas Pit's sidestep animation is pivot back then forward which provides for the sliding.
I have never seen anyone in a different spot on the stage coming out of a sidestep than they were before it.
Spot Dodging and the Sidestep are the same thing I believe.

It's just holding shield and pressing down to avoid attacks. It's just a matter of preference what you call it. I call it down-dodging, but to each his own right?

kupo15

Smash Hero
I don't know but all I'm saying is that Pit slides forward after a sidestep. Just putting that out there because I just noticed it and it gives you extra reach to connect with a grab or attack that normally would have missed. It is nothing big.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Pit's Side-Step isn't Unique, however there's a technique I've been using for awhile and omitted from this version of UndrWorld. I've been referring to it as SlideStepping though I'm not sure if it has another name yet so for now I'll refer to it as SlideStepping.

The principle is, if you leave you shield on after your SideStep you will slide forward a little bit after the dodge. I've used this several times in my videos and I don't think anyone's noticed when I use it during close combat fights against Jasona. I don't even think he's noticed it yet.

Anyway I found SlideStepping when experimenting with PowerShielding. Which as you all know is all I preach about back here. If you release your shield during the spot dodge you won't move forward at all. However if you leave it on just a couple frames after you spot dodge it complete you'll inch forward. this is really good during hand-to-hand combat. ... And really back against Marth.

Test it for yourself, UndrWorld 2.0 is on it's way so I'll keep you updated on it.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I tested this with every character, and found that only Ganondorf can do this as well. Although he only travels half as far.

An interesting thing is that if you rapidly sidestep in succession, you start moving backwards.

kupo15

Smash Hero
The principle is, if you leave you shield on after your SideStep you will slide forward a little bit after the dodge.

Are you saying that everyone can do this or just Pit? I have tried this with the other characters and no one slides forward at all. Which actually makes his spot dodge unique I would say.
I also want to add that if you hold down during the spot dodge that he will slide forward just as much as holding shield.

If you release your shield during the spot dodge you won't move forward at all. However if you leave it on just a couple frames after you spot dodge it complete you'll inch forward. this is really good during hand-to-hand combat.
I tested this out and its not entirely true. If you don't hold anything coming out of the spot dodge, you will still move forward but the movement is so minuscule that I don't think it is useful.

EDIT: I confirm that Ganondorf can also do this slightly.

An interesting thing is that if you rapidly sidestep in succession, you start moving backwards.
Wow that is pretty neat! I wonder if you perfectly sidestep so that you never see your shield pop up, if you will have constant invincibility frames? If so, that would be nice because not only can you be untouched, but you are moving back so your opponent will follow you. Then you can launch a surprise attack like his side B with perfect timing and very little lag!
Good observation! I have to test that :)

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
UndrWorld 1.2 is up and it includes SlideStepping. ^_^ When it's fully uploaded I'll update my thread.

Top Bottom