• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compilation of Diddy Tricks/Tips - [!!VIDS ADDED!!] New "Pop-Gun Turn-Around"

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Wassap?!

I'm a Diddy/Fox mainer, and have some info to share with all you monkey mains out there.

::UPDATED:: [March21st]

Videos

-This video I made shows the Pop-Gun Cancel, and techniques I've discovered so far. It also has info regarding the Smash Banana, and Sweetspotting.

Diddy: Pop-Gun Cancel, Smash Banana, & Sweetspot trick

-Here is a video with most of the techniques I've discussed in the "Combo" section of my guide.

Diddy: Moves/Combos

-------------------------------------------

The Banana

1. The SMASH Banana (Concept by GameDragonX)

I've recently discovered that there are two ways to throw a banana. Only two distances...one being the neutral banana throw, and the other being a REALLY far one. Now when I mean far, I mean if you're standing on the ground on battlefield it will land on the top-most platform.

To do the regular banana = Press down+b
Tto do the SMASH banana = hit down+b as if you were inputing a smash attack.

The result? You'll get a mind-gaming fruit that flies TWICE AS FAR.

2. You know that you can grab your Bananas with every aerial right? Then try this:

Throw a banana, turn around and SH nair at the Banana while its still in the air. You'll be able to catch it before it hits the ground. Its a quick way to get it in your clutches for some mindgames.

3. Did you know you can throw a banana while holding one in your hand? Knowing this, its always good to try to carry one around. Throw one in your opponents path and use the other to intercept them if they try to jump over and pick the first one up. Use their predictable behavior to your advantage!

4. Courtesy of Xilez

Simple Diddy Kong Glide Tosses. I did not invent the Glide Toss just showing how it can be beneficial to Diddy.

Forward Glide Toss-
Hold Shield -> roll forward (as the shield drops, and before you begin to roll press A..this gives a simple no lag solution to getting your banana spam underway)

Backwards Glide Toss- (When you glide one way, but throw the nanner the opposoite)
**some people use A for this, I find it simpler to use the c-stick

Hold Shield -> roll backwards (As you drop shield, tilt one way, and the c-stick the other)

ex- when facing right, to slide left. Hold shield, mash directional to the left, while hitting the c-stick to the right

Here is a video showing what it should look like, combos and nanner spamming can become a huge part of Diddy mindgames with propper banana spacing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6oaCF5y9UQ
5. Courtesy of Xilez

Simply Dash away from oppenent, hit shield to to cancel dash, when you hit sheild immediatley smash the c-stick in the opposite direction you ran.

Ex: Directional left (into Dash), let go of directional stick, cancel dash with shield AND smash the c-stick to the right.

This allows for a gliding technique away from your oppenent for more seperation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNPY_KZdQs

-------------------------------------------------

The Pop-Gun

1. I've found that you can cancel Diddy's popgun, even in mid-air. The only catch is, you have to cancel it before his body starts trembling. So basically, before the popgun is fully charged. During the time when he is angling his shot, you can cancel it with either a shield, or even A GRAB.

So for example, run up to your opponent, charge or a second then grab.

MINDGAMEZ. It cancels instantaneously too, so if you're flying back from a hit that knocked you off, try charging it on your way down then hitting L, you'll immediately air dodge and most likely make a safe recovery. Hope this helps.

2. Another NEW DISCOVERY!

"The Pop-Gun Turnaround"

After playing around with the pop-gun cancel a bit. I've found that Diddy can cancel it in mid-air (WITHOUT DOING AN AIR-DODGE) by hitting a shield button on the first 3 frames of when the Gun is drawn. The cool thing is, you can do this in reverse.

Applications? Think about Sheik's reverse needle-cancel in melee. Jump at your Double jump or full hop at your opponent, or jump straight off the level at them. Reverse cancel b-air.

I know this will come in handy. :)

Diddy Tricks

1. On FD, and on many other levels, I've found it super easy to sweetspot with a reverse side+b. Its not particularly useful, but its just about as flashy as Diddy can get from the edge. Its easiest on FD...

So you basically drop down, double jump to the right (that little bent corner pocket in the side of the level), then side+b the other direction. You'll literally ride the wall and instantly sweetspot. Besides this, I've found that ledge-hopping backwards and away from the stage, then side+bing into a "flying kick" gives you some much needed priority and lagless'ness' when trying to get back on top of the stage.

The Fundamentals

1. All Diddy players should make a note of what moves have what kind of lag, and which are best to FF and which not to. After some experimenting, I've found some pretty informative stuff.

Diddy's Nair ---> Has virtually no lag on landing, and even if fastfalled, can almost indefinetly link to utilts at under 30% on most characters. Try using it on your way down after a full hop. If you time it properly on your way down, it will hit AND autocancel. Pretty sweet eh?

Diddy's Dair ---> Okay, so it hits people down; really, really, hard. Want to know something else? Its really really laggy if you land on the ground mid-move. The way to get your opponent with this ON STAGE, is to SH it quickly without a FF. You can jump, Dair and di round to your opponents shield to get a hit in and not get grabbed or hopefully punished. The move ends before you hit the ground (if you don't FF).

Diddy's Fair --- > Similar to the dair in terms of lag. It autocancels if you don't FF it after a SH.
So try SHing, Fair and D.I.ing in and out, JIGGLY style!

Diddy's Bair ---> By far his most abusable aerial. This move is so quick you can do double bairs in one SH. And you have aerial mobility during his SH. to say...bair and d.i. to avoid the shield grab and d.i. back in on the second bair to hit them. Its a really good idea to try to rar this move on approach as well.

--------------------------------------------

Combo/Move Variety

1. Dash attack is probably Diddy's best combo starter. At 0%, you can link together a dash attack and usmash for every hit, and a bit over 20% from the get-go. At mid-percents, try dash attack to utilt.

2. If you're holding a banana and dash attack at your opponent, you'll still hit them, and are able to throw the banana up afterwards. After doing so, you can jump and bair. Its a pretty cool combo, and I'm sure it can come in handy.

Alternate Version: Dash attack with banana in hand, throw up, follow d.i. and dair. Sometimes, they land right on the banana you threw at them, making them slip...and leaving them open for another aerial on your way down. Or, a smash. cool eh?

3. Another good combo to try at around 30-60, is dash attack to SH nair. The nair pops them up, and provides good opportunity to throw a banana behind you for some mindgames, or just jump up to them and bair. (Close to the edge, they might D.i. off, giving you a chance to dair.)

4. utilt can be stringed together consecutively, but you should already know that. Its godly, lets just leave it at that.

5. Dtilt -> grab, dtilt -> dsmash, are both good options. At high percents it hits them higher, perfect for an uair or fair.

6. Double bair works really well. In fact, if you can land two at low percents, you can link a dash attack or ftilt, depending on their d.i. Seeing as the bair has literally no lag - think of it as a 1-3 frame delay that won't hinder its comboability much. Bair isn't only for killing! Remember that.

Hope I helped, I'll be adding more in due time.

Hailzeon0079

Smash Cadet
This is pretty informative, can you explain how you throw a banana while holding another one like you said?

robman1

Smash Cadet
he means that you can pull out another banana after already have pulled one out and picked it up

ThePurpleCobra

Smash Apprentice
smash is all about speed. no one seems to be tilting when they take out a banana. you can get bananas faster if u tilt down b not smash.

feel free to add that. spread the word. its not in danimals guide

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
this thread just made my diddy better.
dash attack to uptilt, why the heck didn't i think of that
the combooos are immense

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Sry for the double post, but to correct PurpleCobra --

Whether you smash or tilt the stick when throwing a banana makes no difference. The banana thrown comes out at the same speed regardless of how fast or slow you input the command.

& I added alot of other information about auto-cancelled moves and the newly discovered POP-GUN CANCEL.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Sry for the double post, but to correct PurpleCobra --

Whether you smash or tilt the stick when throwing a banana makes no difference. The banana thrown comes out at the same speed regardless of how fast or slow you input the command.

& I added alot of other information about auto-cancelled moves and the newly discovered POP-GUN CANCEL.
First, that is true about the bananas. However, you can pull bananas out at two different arcs. At first i thought it was by holding down the B button as you down B, but it may be pressing B during a certain frame (like different distances for spacies illusions). Ill have to test it more later when i get home.

Second, the pop gun cancel isnt exactly new. Granted, no one has come out and said it works for diddy, but i assumed it worked for diddy after realizing the same thing works for lucario, since its the exact same button commands

Third, thanks for the effort of the thread itself. I made one of these a few weeks ago, but i havn't really found anything new worthy of a post to add to it lately. well at least, i havnt found anything before someone already posted about it the same day i found it. (warning shameless advertisement) here it is if you want to get any ideas you didnt already have: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152239

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
GameDragonX: Diddy's Pop-Gun isn't exactly the epitome of your proverbial charging neutral B.
Lucario...well with him you can probably figure he can cancel it, based on past experiences (...Mewtwo, Samus)

Diddy's is a tad more useful. See, because you can charge it in the air...you can pretend to be falling helplessly towards your opponent, then instantly airdodge. This reverses your disadvantageous situation and turns it into an unscheduled tryst of your bair with your opponents a$$.

Thanks for the info though.

Btw, I've found a few more useful Diddy techs I'm sure will keep you all captivated. So stay tuned!

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i still dont see how the popgun cancel is different from lucario's aura sphere cancel...i mean, you can either air dodge to cancel with both, or guard to cancel on the ground, and you both can do moves out of it...

oh, and i demand you give me props for those two different banana arcs in your post! lol

xilez

Smash Apprentice
This needs to be added:

Simple Diddy Kong Glide Tosses. I did not invent the Glide Toss just showing how it can be beneficial to Diddy.

Forward Glide Toss-
Hold Shield -> roll forward (as the shield drops, and before you begin to roll press A..this gives a simple no lag solution to getting your banana spam underway)

Backwards Glide Toss- (When you glide one way, but throw the nanner the opposoite)

Hold Shield -> roll backwards (As you drop shield, tilt one way, and the c-stick the other)

ex- when facing right, to slide left. Hold shield, mash directional to the left, while hitting the c-stick to the right

Here is a video showing what it should look like, combos and nanner spamming can become a huge part of Diddy mindgames with propper banana spacing.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
its weird switching between g&w and diddy, i can actually roll with diddy. but seriously i need to work on my banana catching

xilez

Smash Apprentice
This needs to be added:

Forward Glide Toss-

Also: Im adding another video of a Dash Banana Glide technique.
Simply Dash away from oppenent, hit shield to to cancel dash, when you hit sheild immediatley smash the c-stick in the opposite direction you ran.

Ex: Directional left (into Dash), let go of directional stick, cancel dash with shield AND smash the c-stick to the right.

This allows for a gliding technique away from your oppenent for more seperation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNPY_KZdQs

ALSO: In this video is a comparison of the banana toss height differences stated by RaynEx and GDx. Rayne- plz add my Glide toss and the vids to the first page.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Updated. Thnks alot guys! This thing is really starting to evolve, and I can definetly see it changing the way Diddys all over the world play.

xilez

Smash Apprentice
How do we go about getting this stickied? Kinda like a new title.. Compilation of Diddy Kong ATs, Strats and Mindgames or something.

Hailzeon0079

Smash Cadet
xilez, the vid doesn't work, and when I try the "smash banana", it seems to arc higher when diddy takes it out, but I see no change in horizontal distance between the two different bananas when thrown.

Hailzeon0079

Smash Cadet
ooh the vid works now, I guess I misunderstood, I thought the smash bananas could be thrown farther

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
ooh the vid works now, I guess I misunderstood, I thought the smash bananas could be thrown farther
The smash banana can be thrown farther. To be as accurate as I can be on keyboard...

Regular horizontal distance is = _ _

Smash distance is = _ _ _ _

The vertical trajectory of the smash banana is double, if not more, than the regular banana. Its really, really noticeable.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I know DI stands for directional influence, but I thought it was only for when you were getting smashed off the screen. How do you use D.I. for combos? Also could you put a video on youtube about the Pop gun cancel and the diddy trick thing on FD? I still don't understand the usefulness of that trick.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Thanks Thumbs & Cranberry.

Yoshididdy: When I mean that d.i. plays a role in combos, i mean that your opponent can d.i. your combos as any given time. Though in melee it was much more noticable, combo d.i. has been nerfed in brawl. This game relies heavily on survival d.i. Lucky for us light-weights.

I'll record the pop gun cancel video in a few minutes for you guys.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Hmm. I have a few minor things to add. Take them as you will to your own games, if you take them at all.

While it may be moot at this point, along with being able to pull out another banana while still holding one, you can also do all of your other B moves while holding a banana. Incase you want to get out of the loop of throwing a banana as soon as you pick one up, you can still attack with the peanut gun and the kung fu kick off of the diddy hump.

This second thing is just an addition to something else we already knew, but still kinda cool. Im sure we all know by now that if you under diddy's Barrels (his up+b), you will get spiked. Its not as fast of a spike as diddy's dair, but its still a spike. What I was thinking was that if you get into a situation where you want to edgehog someone. Since diddy has some really nice aerials, the only reason i could see you wanting to edgehog anyone is because they are below the vertical level of safely fairing or dairing them without dying yourself. Anyway, all you have to do is jump from the stage and line up with the edge, and charge upB. When you descend to about even/little below the stage, let go of up B and aim for the edge. If you do it right, these three things will happen:

-You will grab the ledge immediately, since there isnt much distance to cover
-The fire from your barrels will still go off the same time you grab the ledge, so anyone directly under you at the time you essentially grab the ledge is spiked
-While all of this is happening, you still have your invincibility frames from grabbing said ledge, and they just happen to run out at about the time the flames from your barrels disappear

If you do decide to try this method, the best thing is that you dont have to do your arial and then recover, since it all happens in one step.

WIGI

Smash Champion
so i sheild, hold my left thumbstick away from my oponent ( or towards if i want to glide toss towards) then i release sheild and smash c stick at my aponent? woont that just make me do my side b attack, if im using b-stick?

xilez

Smash Apprentice
yea i thought u said c-stick so i tried to edit before you saw...but can i ask why you are b-sticking as diddy kong? Most characters that can use the Glide Toss are gimped when b-sticking

I guess since you b-sticking...to do regular glide toss. Shield --> roll towards opponent --> press A after shield dissappears but before roll starts.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
b sticking with diddy is not beneficial at all, and makes gliding toss way harder.

I was actually thinking of this earlier. People who automatically B-stick just because they think its something that will give them a huge advantage over someone who doesnt, like wavedashing kinda did...when its really just character specific (and to be brutally honest, only lucas and maybe 1 to 2 others specific)

...not specifically saying you fall into that category wigi, just sayin >.>

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Lol.

ever heard of gimpy, SilentSpectre, Azen? I've played them, and none of them use WDing that much.

Its not as big of a part of melee as most people think.

Top Bottom