• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros at Niko's Returns! March 14, 2009. (SBaN #8!)

Niko_K

Smash Master
Smash Bros. at
Niko's!

Well after a long break from the SBaN Series, it is back!

There is an attendance limit of 22 due to the size of my basement. If there is enough interest I will rent out Club La Salle if more than 40 people CONFIRM interest in coming.

I am going to try and make this as simple as possible. The goal of this biweekly is to provide a guaranteed place for EVERYONE to brawl every other weekend while adding competitiveness to improve on our brawl game.

Results
SBaN#1 Mar/08/08
SBaN#2 Mar/29/08
SBaN#4 May/03/08
SBaN#5 May/31/08
SBaN#6 Jun/22/08
SBaN#7 Jul/20/08

Place

Niko's Basement
4 Nickel St.
St.Catharines, Ontario
L2M 1L5

Phone Numbers:

My house: (905)-938-7289

How do I get there?

www.mapquest.com

Attending

1.NikoK
2.PNDMike
3.Wolfblade
4.Percon
5.Ayaz18
6.NASEEEER
7.KC
8. Raidos
9. Lawlb0t
10.4:00
11. Ally
12.Holy
13.Cruel
14.Cruels friend
15.Lain
16.Noj
17.judge
18.yes
19.No
CLUB LA SALLE

Time

My ideal schedule is as followed:

Doubles: 1pm - 3pm
Singles Pools: 3pm - 5:30pm
Food Break: 5:30pm - 6:15pm
Singles Brackets: 6:15pm to Finish
Draft Crews if there is time

Basement Rules!

1. Be Tidy! I should not have to stress this anymore. I really would not like to have to clean up after everyone else's garbage and messes when I am the one organizing all this. There will be a big garbage bag where everyone can throw their garbage out at the bottom of the stairs.

2. Be Friendly! This isn't serious business. If you lose so be it, accept defeat and move on (Unless you got 0-80'd by Robs Pikachu on the first day of playing brawl.) If you're being a sore loser and persist with it I will ask you to keep it to yourself or you will have to leave. The main point of this is for fun.

3.SMOKING & Alcohol Have fun guys.

4.Personal Belongings! We have had problems in the past of people stealing controllers and other things from tournaments in the past. I suggest to bring nothing more then your controller and money for food/drinks OR food/drinks for yourself. If anything does go missing please let me know asap so we can single out whoever is the crook.

5.Don't Hog Friendly T.V's If there are extra T.V's throughout the tournament and there are friendlies available, please don't play several matches in a row. Be considerate of the others who might want to play a friendly. If there is a MM going on at the time you will have to wait until it is over.

Cost

Cost for singles is $5 per person
Doubles is $5 per person.

Tournament Rules and Stage Bans

*NikoK's IC Alt-Throw Limitation Rule:

Hobbling is banned *it is a true infinite, end of story*

When alternate grabs are preformed, after the opponent has been thrown back to the original climber that started the alternate grab, you cannot continue alternate throwing from this point. In other words, you are limited to two alternate throws before having to stop the alternate throw.

Your alternate options are as followed:

1. Throw them (into aerials, or away)
2. *Set up other locks (Block Lock, ETC)
3. Desycned Attack (ie. Jab to Usmash, Smashes, Tilts, Blizzards)
4. **Grab Release

*If a lock is initiated out of a grab, you may not regrab from the forced get up, this also can be done infinitely.

**If they are forced to ground release, you are not allowed to re-grab them out of this release.

Infinites/Excessive Stalling

Infinite and excessive stalling are both banned. You are considered to be stalling infinitely when you are using a technique that prevents the other player from reaching you indefinitely. Excessive stalling is when you use a technique to stall a match by remaining untouchable for a significant amount of time. Examples include using Fox's shine in great excess while recovering in an unreachable location, using Pit's up B to move back and forth underneath a stage, and more. This will result in a forfeit of your stock. End of Story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*D3 Walking and Standing Infinites are banned.

*Characters who have the ability to swing from ledge to ledge underneath the stage (MK, Pit, ROB, Jiggz, etc) are not allowed to cross back and fourth from underneath the stage. You may cross over once, and you MUST touch the stage again before crossing underneath again. If you have crossed already, you are not allowed to go halfway underneath the stage and then come back.

Set Format

-Stage Striking MUST be used unless random has been mutually agreed on.
-Matches are 3 stocks with 7 minute time limit.
-All Sets will be best of 3. Winners/Losers Finals and Grand Finals being best of 5.
-First match you may call upon a 3rd party to have double blind picks.
-Loser of the next round then chooses the stage while the winner chooses their character followed by the loser choosing theirs.
-You cannot choose the same stage more than once in your set of 3. Unless the stage you had liked to pick was chosen on random.
-Pausing is only allowed if for a phone call or emergency, anything out of reason(breaking combo's, time to think or shield, etc) will forfit your stock.

*NikoK's Doubles Rule: In doubles, each team is limited to one MK per team. Players may switch who is using MK throughout the set, but there is no more than 1 MK allowed per team.

Stage Bans and Counterpicks

Neutrals:

Battlefield
Lylat Cruise
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Delfino Plaza
Rainbow Cruise
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 1
Jungle Japes

Banned:
Everything else.

Equipment

Full setups are essential to having the tournament run properly. If you have equipment please make an effort to bring it to the tournament.

TV:
1.Niko
2.Niko
3.Niko
4.Raidos
5.Michigan

Wii + Brawl:
1.Niko
2.Ally

Live Stream:
1.Niko

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Sounds good Niko. Like usual I'll try to make it. I'm just curious to see who you'll main... ha ha... oh I'm hilarious.:laugh:

Percon

Smash Lord
I hope some of you can MM the on the 8th. I want to turn this into a profitable hobby, **** it!

About stage bans... I don't think you should be too hard on stages just yet. I think you should only ban the obvious ones (Hyrule Temple, Mario Bros, Spear Pillar) and let the rest be counterpick. Not only do I think some of the stages on your ban list have a chance (Distant Planet), but if a stage isn't very fair nobody will want to play it anyway. If cheap strategies/constantly getting ****ed by the stage occurs, THEN we ban it. Neutrals are important though... I'll discuss this more with you later, mkay?

And aandy/DB, nothing would make me happier than ANYONE from outside our region came to smash with us, even if it were only to suck up our monies.

Kevin should bring his portable TV, even if it's tiny.

PS. Toon Link scares me.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I think you should allow Eldin's Bridge and Mushroomy Kingdom because those stages are pretty good and it's not like you can edgeguard in Brawl anyways <_<
Maybe wario ware, I guess

pyrnight

Smash Journeyman
Haha OK Max, I can bring my dvd player, but we won't count that as a TV. Maybe we can use that little tv for Melee friendlies or something.

And wow miller, fail, sealing lmfao. more like OH YEA ****ING SEAKING

PS: Ranking system?!?! Maybe after the 3rd one as well. That would be coolio.

D.B

Smash Ace
Haha OK Max, I can bring my dvd player, but we won't count that as a TV. Maybe we can use that little tv for Melee friendlies or something.

And wow miller, fail, sealing lmfao. more like OH YEA ****ING SEAKING

PS: Ranking system?!?! Maybe after the 3rd one as well. That would be coolio.
I don't think niagara is big enough to have it's own ranking systems :S

Ask a moderator?

Niko_K

Smash Master
There are actually a ton of Niagara players, I think we could throw one together...though its way too early lmfao.

C3 has been PM'd

You coming this weekend DB or are you waiting?

Miller

Smash Lord
Yeh, with pit, hit them with one arrow, then up+b back and forth between each edge of the stage for the remainder of the time... On final or battlefield..
Haaha remember our match, i kept floating away, arrowing you, and floating away again

Niko_K

Smash Master
Updated the original post, definitely gunna need that equipment, were up to four sets of brawl.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
i hate how EVERYONE except for brampton has easy access to Brawl -_______________-

D.B

Smash Ace
Niko I'll come later on after a few cause I'd rather you guys learn how to organize and get into the "habit" of knowing how it works if you know what I mean?

When I do can I count on you for housing?

Niko_K

Smash Master
I can house you and some others no problem. And I've organized tournaments already for melee and in the groove. :p

Percon

Smash Lord
Too many Niagara players don't show up to this stuff. Shame. :/

BTW, Raidos, we've concluded that you must team up with Miller for doubles from now on. You'll use Toon Link. Team name will be Mike and Ike.

Percon

Smash Lord
Rob's got an okay Lucario.

But really, it works like this;

Rob's Pikachu >>>> Rob's Fox >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rob's Lucario

By, the way, my thoughts on tourney stages for the Biweekly...

Neutrals:

Battlefield : No explanation needed.
Final Destination : No explanation needed.
Yoshi's Island : Very neutral feel, support ghost's effects are minimal (less annoying than the cloud in YS Melee)
Lylat Cruise : Neutral as neutral can be.
Smashville : Neutral Neutral Neutral
Pokemon Stadium : Might as well throw in a Melee neutral. Walls appear, but are not perminant. Windmill/edges are annoying now. Neutral for now.

Counterpicks:

Luigi's Mansion : Very neutral-ey, but destructive terrain makes the fight much different than the other neutral stages. Ceilings are also a bit of a problem... might become neutral later, but CP for now.

Delfino Plaza : Same case as Luigi's mansion. Very fair and balanced, though some features make it too different from the other neutrals. Water/wall(?)/walk-off edges being those features. May be neutral if the features don't deract from the matches too much.

Mario Circuit: I know what you're thinking. "Walk-off edges? Cars? I'm not playing here!". the cars are easy to avoid. They aren't like the port town ones. And the walk off-edges aren't too bad... they aren't the same as in Melee. There's the Dedechaingrab but honestly, who in Canada plays Dedede yet? :p Stays until cheap strategies develop.

Castle Siege : Would be neutral if not for the middle floor. Walk off edges + destructible terrain that blocks stuff = awkward. More analysis will have to be done here as well.

Great Sea: Cannonballs are ****ing broken. 55% WTF? Though they can be avoided and don't come TOO often. Though the center divide that occurs sometimes is annoying... if you get hit by the catapault, you deserve to (almost) die. CP unless constant screwing over happens.

Pokemon Stadium 2: Yeah, air changes the physics. But is it really THAT bad? Worst comes to worst, someone camps up in the air for an minute before the stage chages again. Electric, Ice and ground can be dealt with.

Norfair: "No fair" as some call it. All the obstacles/lava can be seen before they hit. More worrysome is the abundance of ledges. We'll see where this stage goes with time. CP for now.

Frigate Orpheon : Flips are random but easy to deal with. No reason this shouldn't be CP.
Battleship Halberd : Wonderful stage! Would be neutral but I don't want people to complain about being owned by the stage (arm especially).

The Summit: Yeah, I don't like it, but I've allowed other stages that had harsher reasons. 1) Nothing is random 2) Less gravity portion isn't THAT BAD 3) Stay out of the water and you'll be fine.

Distant Planet: NOT THAT BAD. Pellets are negligable. Rain counters the steep, walk-off edge. Bulborb is EASILY avoidable. CP all the way.

Skyworld: It IS annoying not to die 'till 200 one life then be gimped at 30 the next... but with time we'll be able to aboid both situations, I believe, and I think it'll make way for interesting strategies and matchups. We need to give this one a chance.

Pictochat: This needs to be given a chance :p The fire + missiles + spikes are annoying... but I dunno, it feels valid-ish. If constant getting owned by the stage persists, it'll be banned. 'till then... happy chatting!

Green Hill Zone: Interesting layout. There's no real GLARING reason to ban it, but if something weird develops it'll get looked at. Walk off-edges need to be re-evaluated.

AC: Niagara's stage to call our own. Kinda weird, but highly playable. Gonna be standard at our Biweeklies, I hope :D

Banned:

Mushroomy Kingdom : Low ceiling. Terrible layout. Walls. Moving in combination with all of that stuff is BAD. I don't think this has much of a chance of bein playable.
Bridge of Eldin : This stage is a haven for Pit and the like but sucks for Bowser and company. The pit in the middle simply warrants too much camping. Bulblin King + huge size doesn't help either.
Rumble Falls : I'd say yes if it weren't for the speeding up segments. They make the stage more about surviving than fighting, if you get my drift. And nobody wants to play here anyway.
Port Town: Cars = Death. And they're tough to avoid, especially when they come from the side. I might move it up to CP if I see players dealing with the cars better.
Wario Ware: *sigh* it was so close to CP, too. But free invincibility is a no-go. On another note, I REALLY like the stage layout. I might make a Stage builder version that doesn't have the microgames for a neutral stage. If you guys are up for it.
New Pork City: It's big.
Shadow Moses Island: Walls. On either side. Verti-kills only. :(
Donkey Kong Arcade: Ewww. Bad layout, springboards > all.
Spear Pillar : **** it. Slow downs, flips, inverse controls, "circle" formation, cresselia, etc.
Mario Bros.: Least playable stage in the game. Don't even get me started.
Flat Zone 2 : Too many hazards, it's hard to tell what some of 'em are. Cool music, though.
Electroplankton: Not a big fan. I dunno, CP potential, if anyone even cares for this stage, I'm sure you can pull together a valid argument for it to be CP. But yeah...

END

I know I'm being leniant with the stages here, but since the biweeklies will be friendly for the first little while + nobody wants to play the odd stages anyway I think they should be allowed for now. We'll remove any that develop bad/cheap strategies.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
what up guys.

Yo Max/Niko, barely any of my guys show up because they don't go on smash boards. They are not really ones to go on forums, maybe Jarred, but he lurks. I will talk to them and get them over Saturday. I am sure they will come. Will works Saturdays, but he is off around 3-4 I believe.

I can probably get Jarred, Trev, Faz, Will and myself. I don't know about KC tho.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Lol. It doesn't matter what we play. I would say I adapted pretty easily. I just kept getting caught underneath FinalD. If we are still going to be playing Melee I have to play more, because I could barely keep up. We don't play smash that much anymore, we play a lot of Mario Kart 64, Golden eye, Halo or something, just not smash :\ Because me and will just win all the time, ahahha.

Top Bottom