• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Tripping - Now without video proof (yet again)...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
We know nothing about Air Tripping, only that it's very rare (apparently, I'm the only one of these boards to have experienced it... though I've experienced it thrice).

A lot of people have questioned me, not necessarily calling me a liar but possibly thinking I could've misinterpreted events.

Finally, today, SeriousWb corroborated my story:
I've seen a match where someone tripped in the air, alas I've seen so many Brawl matches it would be madness to try and find it.
I'm not saying it's confirmation but at least it's another person saying it exists. And maybe some people have experienced it and assumed it was something other than tripping because Air Tripping would just be stupid.

This thread was created to discuss and try to discover how to Air Trip, or rather, how to not Air Trip.

On all three of the occasions where I Air Tripped, I was Peach. I cannot state it with 100% certainty but I'm pretty sure that on at least two of those occasions, I was floating (and moving forward). On one of those occasions, I Air Tripped after taking a Dash Attack (from, like, Mr. Game & Watch or something). I'm not sure but I don't think I had gone into the tripping animation before I got hit, yet once I'd been hit, I tripped and dropped to the ground.

I have never Air Tripped while simply spinning around after taking a hit.

Why is Air Tripping so important to cover? Because each and every single time I Air Tripped, I dropped straight to the ground. Now, I might have been floating too close to the ground to actually have the reaction time jump or Up B or whatever. Or maybe I was just slow. But it is imperative to find out whether or not Air Tripping could made the game unplayable as any time you're off the stage, simply moving forward or backwards could cause you to randomly Air Trip and fall to your demise, possibly without being able to do anything.

FAQ:

Q. Are you sure it wasn't a Footstool Jump?

A. Yes, I'm positive. On two of the three occassions, no enemy was anywhere near me. On the third occasions, the opponent dashattacked me (on the, you know, ground).

"Q". Luigi's Final Smash airtrips people!
A. No it doesn't! It makes them dizzy, as if their shield had broken. If they fall to the ground, they fall on their backs, not on their behinds, like from an Air Trip.

Q. How did Peach fall?
A. Very fast, so I didn't quite catch the falling animation. I'd imagine it looks a lot like the way she falls when she gets spiked/meteor smashed. However, she fell flat on her behind and got stuck in her "I just tripped"-animation, complete with rolling-recovery to stand up each time, though.

Q. Do you have a video of this happening?
A. No. But according to SeriousWB, at least one video with Air Tripping exists. If anyone sees it, please report back to this thread.

Q. Sonic has these spring glitches and as such, all other Air Trips much be because of it!
A. Sonic is not everyone. Sonic's Spring is not like everyone's else's Up B... in fact, it's nothing like everyone else's Up B, Peach's nor anyone else. For one thing, Sonic does not land on his behind like from a trip from these, as opposed to what happens when you Air Trip (and as confirmed as occurring with, among others, Peach, Jiggz and Ganny). We only know that Sonic has a specific air trip-like glitch which can be forced.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Errr. What did the tripping animation look like again? Did Peach fall on her face or did she float down regularly?

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Do you have a video of this happening? Since you can't fall to your doom after an air dodge now, this might be a mechanic implemented to balance that out. I'm not sure though, to be honest, this is the first time i've heard of air tripping as opposed to tripping in general.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you sure you just weren't Footstool Jumped?
On two of the Air Tripping occasions, no character was remotely within range of Footstool Jump. In the 3rd, I got dashattacked.

Errr. What did the tripping animation look like again? Did Peach fall on her face or did she float down regularly?
He fell flat down on her rump, the very same animation she goes into when tripping on the ground.

Do you have a video of this happening? Since you can't fall to your doom after an air dodge now, this might be a mechanic implemented to balance that out. I'm not sure though, to be honest, this is the first time i've heard of air tripping as opposed to tripping in general.
Not one of me Air Tripping personally. It is very rare, after all (but as anyone who's played me knows, I defy all odds when it comes to Smash, to that explains why I've done it thrice despite having played the game for less than 24 hours in total).

According to SeriousWB, at least one such video exists "out there", though. If anyone sees it, report back, please!

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I really don't like this whole tripping business. Seems like Sakurai went out of his way to make battles random. I hope this air tripping doesn't become a game breaking feature. Not that it would stop me from playing the game, but I know a few people who might just do that if it gets too bad.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I really don't like this whole tripping business. Seems like Sakurai went out of his way to make battles random. I hope this air tripping doesn't become a game breaking feature. Not that it would stop me from playing the game, but I know a few people who might just do that if it gets too bad.
*Raises hand* Hi, my name is Bob. I am one of those people that you described.

Jinx

Smash Journeyman
Record a vid. =P Seriously though, what kind of matches are you playing when this happens? 1v1 4 stock? Just curious.

Next time it happens, you should quit outta the match so that you can (hopefully, assuming play time was < 3 mins, which is what I think the limit is for recording matches) save it to the Wii hard drive, then upload it to the PC. :)

NOVA1106

Smash Ace
me and my friends notice the air tripping. it mostly happened when someone jumped &tried to do an air attack

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
Tripping is less random than some people seem to think. It happens on the ground only if you continuously reverse direction quickly after dashing. Slowing it down a bit or rolling to change direction solves it.

I don't know about air tripping, it's never happened to be.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Not to be rude to Yuna or anyone else for that matter but I highly hope that all of you who has seen this so called "Air Trip" was just being stunned by how beautiful brawl is and somehow got into the tripping animation.

Tripping(on the ground) is bad enough by it’s self and will defiantly test the love that people have for this series but an air trip not only doesn't make much logical since but would make the game truly random.

Please don't come back to us with proof that it exist.

Ninja Sheikah

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9559-3780
Glad some other people noticed. I thought I might have been seeing things. I remember watching Marth vs a few people on the castle seige stage. He went from a dash to a jump and a little bit after he jumped, he fell staight on his face.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
Not true. On multiple occasions, my transition from Neutral Stance to Forward Dash was interrupted by Trip.

-Syn
Really? That's actually never happened to me. Admittedly I haven't played the game as much as some of you guys. How annoying. >.<#

Well, I'm sure there's a way to deal with it.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Really? That's actually never happened to me. Admittedly I haven't played the game as much as some of you guys. How annoying. >.<#

Well, I'm sure there's a way to deal with it.
Read the thread on tripping. It's been determined that tripping is an event with a 1% chance everytime that you "tap" foward. This may apply to the air as well, but since you tap directions less than in the air (as opposed to on the ground when you dash a lot more) it may happen less often. We're not sure if there's a different percentage chance of it happening in the air, but someone has been working on it for a while.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Record a vid. =P Seriously though, what kind of matches are you playing when this happens? 1v1 4 stock? Just curious.

Next time it happens, you should quit outta the match so that you can (hopefully, assuming play time was < 3 mins, which is what I think the limit is for recording matches) save it to the Wii hard drive, then upload it to the PC. :)
It happened mostly in the SSE because I had to play through 9 friggin' hours of SSE to unlock all of the characters. I think it happened twice in the SSE and once in a 1on1.

Next time it happens, I will record it onto the Wii hard drive.

Tripping is less random than some people seem to think. It happens on the ground only if you continuously reverse direction quickly after dashing. Slowing it down a bit or rolling to change direction solves it.

I don't know about air tripping, it's never happened to be.
Not true. It's been determined through endless tests that tripping is, indeed completely random. I've personally tripped after my very first dash at the start of a match.

Desruprot

Smash Lord
Good thing, so we can see it, the completely random is very possible (I am not disagreeing with you). It will also be nice to know what could happen. It would be more interesting how it would affect Snake

Thino

Smash Master
I've seen it happen in a youtube vid I don't remember which one. but as there was nobody mentioning this, I didn't bother posting about it

iLink

Smash Champion
That one in the video I can say was a footstool jump which you can tell by how dk jumps at the moment marth "trips"

I'm not sure if this is true or not. I have played brawl and I have never tripped in the air, just on the floor.

Chrnocide

Smash Apprentice
yep. Donkey Kong jumped offa' Marth sending him to the ground, but since it was a foot stool jump it appeared as if he tripped :p .

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're right. It was a FSJ. I'll remove the vid. >_>' I was just so excited about finally finding footage of Air Tripping I totally ignored that DK jumped off of Marth's head.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm just missing what's going on, but in that video every time Marth fell, DK engaged him, or was at least near him. Dunno if it was a footstool jump or if he just bumped into him, but I'm saying it had something to do with his proximity to DK, not just random falling... But I'm not gonna rewatch it to see if I'm wrong :-p

EDIT: I see this has been noted already.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
The first time it did look like some kind of anomaly. The second time it was definitely DK footstool jumping on Marth.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Maybe I'm just missing what's going on, but in that video every time Marth fell, DK engaged him, or was at least near him. Dunno if it was a footstool jump or if he just bumped into him, but I'm saying it had something to do with his proximity to DK, not just random falling... But I'm not gonna rewatch it to see if I'm wrong :-p
It is a footstool jump, if you are still skeptical, you can notice how DK uses his jump, then his mid air jump (meaning he has no jumps lefts except for his Up+B) and then jumps off Marth, meaning footstool.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I wasn't skeptical (if anything I was skeptical of this air tripping) - just uncertain of what I saw. :)
Yea I was uncertain of the video at first too.

I seriously don't understand Air Tripping, let alone Tripping itself, what was the reason it was added, just comical value? Seriously, I hope we are all just wrong and there is a way to cancel out its randomness, I just hope.

Anyways that means we still have no video proof of Air Tripping.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea I was uncertain of the video at first too.

I seriously don't understand Air Tripping, let alone Tripping itself, what was the reason it was added, just comical value? Seriously, I hope we are all just wrong and there is a way to cancel out its randomness, I just hope.

Anyways that means we still have no video proof of Air Tripping.
Maybe Sakurai thought we abused Dashdashing too much so he nerfed it and then they discovered the new and improved Foxtrot and put it in place to punish the Foxtrot and it ended up with a 1% chance of punishing all tapping of the control stick either forward or backward.

And they were too lazy to fix it.

That or they played too much Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon for the SNES. In the S and SS fighting games, there was a chance your special attacks would fail and you'd be stuck in a "Dangit!"-animation, leaving you open for attack.

Sideem Slingh

Smash Journeyman
I think I stumbled on a video with one. The enemy is on the ground when Charizard jumps away, and then inexplicably falls on the ground. This is just a random video I was watching between Zelda and Pokemon Trainer.

See it at 2:45.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjoBiaeSvM

I'm not entirely sure, so go ahead and tell me if I'm wrong, but I think this is an example of air tripping.

EDIT: I'm having doubts after seeing this (courtesy of "Pokemon Trainer: an In-Depth Analysis & Guide"):

If you land on the ground while gliding, you will be in a knocked down state.
Maybe Charizard is just accidentally gliding right into the ground...

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
You don't even have replays? If only Brawl thoroughly recorded every match...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think I stumbled on a video with one. The enemy is on the ground when Charizard jumps away, and then inexplicably falls on the ground. This is just a random video I was watching between Zelda and Pokemon Trainer.

See it at 2:45.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjoBiaeSvM

I'm not entirely sure, so go ahead and tell me if I'm wrong, but I think this is an example of air tripping.

EDIT: I'm having doubts after seeing this (courtesy of "Pokemon Trainer: an In-Depth Analysis & Guide"):

Maybe Charizard is just accidentally gliding right into the ground...
My God, I think you're right! Video added!

Someone correct us if we're wrong!

Top Bottom