• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A way to not ledgesnap? Confirmed.

Red7z7

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking there may be a way to NOT auto-snap-grab the ledge during the up-b recovery-- maybe by pressing down or L or something before passing the ledge. And then I think I saw it actually happen in this video. Occurs at 1:25 with Marth's up-b. He's definitely close enough that it should ledgesnap, but instead he goes right on through and onto the stage. I think this should be tested for sure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bomqTRx9XvA

Eternalfire

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that is a bit odd.

But even if the technique is found, would you want to use it? Edgesnap is amazing.

Chojo

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that is a bit odd.

But even if the technique is found, would you want to use it? Edgesnap is amazing.
Amazingly CHEAP, that is. Lol...

But seriously, you might want to use it if someone's edge guarding so you can hit them on the way up rather than get snapped onto the edge and crawling back on, leaving your opponent time to position himself again and hit you off again...

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
Just tried. Holding down (not up, why would it be up?) makes you miss the edge, much as it makes you pass through thin platforms on your way down.

Robble

Smash Cadet
Just tried. Holding down (not up, why would it be up?) makes you miss the edge, much as it makes you pass through thin platforms on your way down.
Out of curiosity, did you test this coming from both directions? Marth's up-B pushes enemies significantly further away in Brawl than it used to, so in the TC's example if you can actually choose whether to grab the ledge or slash past the ledge and over it/drop back to snap to it this should probably be considered a "new AT" in some way. It definitely adds a new dimension to the recovery of some characters.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^So what your saying is to hold down to pass the ledge just enough for your hitbox to reach them, and then let go of down and see if you still "snap" back to the ledge from that slightly higher position? If that works then it could be pretty usefull (especially for characters like Marth whose up Bs hit far into the stage.)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Because you can just hit the guy with your up B? Because if the technique mentioned above works then you would still get the edgesnap from a slightly higher position on the ledge, but at the same time your up B would be high enough to hit people?

Robble

Smash Cadet
why would you NOT want to ledge snap.....its gonna save your life
Let's say you're Marth and you're coming up onto the ledge where Ike is standing, waiting for you to land, so he can do something nasty while you try to get back onto the stage after you snap on.

What if you could use your up-B and attack just barely further than the edge, so you can knock him away, and then fall back and snap then? Or, up-B past the edge altogether, hit the other person away, and land safely?

Having multiple choices during recovery is always going to be important.

Red7z7

Smash Apprentice
yeah, those are all good ideas for how to use this technique. of course another situation would be if for some reason the opponent is on the other side of the stage running toward you (like if you both hiteachother in the air and flew opposite directions, for example), and you simply want to get onto the stage asap instead of losing the second that it takes to snap on. this way you wont have to mindgame your way from the edge to the stage when he gets there gaurding you.

edgesnapping is a great feature, but having the option to not do it is also really cool

One thing im still wondering though. Does this work with characters like bowser and dk, whos recoveries you actually need to DI upwards to gain height? How would you even do it at all--you cant hold down and up at same time.

suzuki brawl

Smash Journeyman
so the technique exist it should be added to the principal post with advance tactics

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Yeah you hold down to not snap, I made a thread about it. The technique is called edge poopin. :bee:

Red7z7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah you hold down to not snap, I made a thread about it. The technique is called edge poopin. :bee:
lol =/

since you didnt explain anything very well in that thread, and didnt even mention how it works with up-b, and especially cuz that thread got locked..... were just gonna call it edgepassing, or EP for short :D :D
haha, but seriously... i think its a better, more professional name.

Finch

Smash Lord
If we have to name it, which seems unnecessary, it's a snap cancel. Personally though I'm all in for edge poopin'.

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
Just tried holding up, you still edgesnap. It only works with down. Would be too counterintuitive to skip the edge pressung up IMHO.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Well, since this is already bumped, might as well mention.

Lucario always snaps with his UpB, even if he's holding down.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yeah this was known in Melee so I don't even understand why this thread existed

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
yeah this was known in Melee so I don't even understand why this thread existed
Only for a few characters, though. Melee didn't have auto-ledgesnapping across the whole cast.

Don't forget that this thread was also made on FEBRUARY 7TH, 2008. AKA a mere 8 days after the Japanese release, and a whopping two months before the American release.

Top Bottom