• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wall Clinging - An in-depth look at this new exclusive tech (also: Wall Jumping)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Exclusive as in "non-inclusive" as in "Not everyone has it".
(NOTE: I did not discover wall clinging myself, I've just tested it a little bit while SSE:ing. Will test it out in Practice Mode soon)

So far I've discovered the following things (I apologize if none of it is new):
* You wall cling by holding towards the wall while jumping at it. You will cling to the wall once you've reached the peak of your jump. You can also, at any time that you're falling down next to a wall, tap towards it to cling to it! Both ways are regardless of which way you're facing.
* When you cling to the wall, you will not drop down at all. You will remain stationary on that wall. However, you cannot remain clinging to the wall for any longer than approximately 3 seconds, at which time you will automatically let go of the wall.
* Hitting up while wall clinging will cause you to simply do your second jump. Hitting away from the wall will cause you to do a wall jump.
* You can do any aerial (A or B) move from a wall cling.
* So far, I've done it with Squirtle and Sheik (I haven't really tried 'til just a minute ago when I discovered Squirtle could do it).
* While teching, I clung to the wall, which means you can Wall Cling from a tech. Not sure how this works yet, but you probably have to hold towards the wall while teching and that should cover it. It could be my eyes playing tricks on me and I jumped pretty much right away to not, you know, die, but I could've sworn I clung to the wall. More testing will be done.
* You can wall cling multiple times in a row (wall cling to a jump to another wall cling). There is a period of time after each wall cling where you cannot wall cling again, however, so it cannot be done to scale walls.
* Can be done on pretty any wall, including the sloping sides of Final Destination.
* Once you've clung onto a wall, all you can do is what amounts to a wall jump. In fact, Sheik's wall cling jump looks the exact same and takes her the exact same distance as her wall jump.
* Squirtle can wall cling, but not wall jump, meaning this gives certain characters who don't have a wall jump the ability to wall jump!
* On the flip side, certain characters can wall jump but not wall cling! Mario can wall jump, but not wall cling!

The Luigi "Wall Cling" (tested with Corneria and Shadow Moses Island):
Luigi has his own version of the Wall Cling. It can only be done by charging a Luigi Missile (you don't have to fully charge it, I have yet to test the extent to which you have to charge it, though) and diving headfirst into a wall. His head will become stuck for a moment and then he'll pull it out.

This technique is extremely unreliable, though, as it's quite random where on a wall you can get stuck. It seems as if you can only get stuck to set points of the Corneria fin, for instance. However, once your head becomes unstuck (takes a second), you'll be able to 2nd jump/Up B/Tornado right away, suffering no lag from the Missile itself. So kudos if you manage to get this down every single time. You do not regain your 2nd jump.

Tested so far:
Mario - Wall jump
Squirtle - Wall cling
Charizard - Neither
Ivysaur - Neither
Peach - Neither (figures)
Sheik - Wall jump and wall cling (WTF?!)
Zelda - Neither
Donkey Kong - Neither
Link - Neither
Samus - Wall jump
Kirby - Neither
Fox - Wall jump
Pikachu - Wall jump (ZOMG! Pikachu has a wall jump now!)
Marth - Neither
Luigi - Neither
Diddy Kong - Both
Pit - Neither
Meta-Knight - Neither
Falco - Wall jump
Ike - Neither
Snake - Neither
Yoshi - Neither
Ganondorf - Neither
Ice Climbers - Neither
DeDeDe - Neither
Lucario - Both. Up B:ing into a wall will cause Lucario to wall cling. His full wall cling jump and wall jump reaches as high and far as his first jump! He has to, however, land/get hit after an Up B wall cling to get his Up B back.
Ness - Neither
Bowser - Neither
Wario - Neither
R.O.B.(O.T.) - Neither
Pikmin & Olimar - Neither
Captain Falcon - Wall jump
Lucas - Neither
Sonic - Wall jump (wall cling status unclear, probably not)
Zero Suit Samus - Wall jump (and quite a funny wall jump. It looks like she's lunging forward reaching for something)
Jigglypuff - Neither
Wolf - Wall jump
Toon Link - Wall jump

So, in conclusion: People with wall cling:
Squirtle
Sheik
Lucario
Diddy Kong

Four, count them, four characters out of thirty-five.

Sheik, Diddy and Lucario are now officially broken for having both of these exclusive techniques (especially the wall cling which only 4 characters have).

Boo Sheik! Boo!

errtu

Smash Apprentice
sort of like mario in galaxy where u cling to the wall to fall slower?

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
lucario can wall cling and i think wall jump.

he can also go into a wall cling from his up b

and i havnt tested this, but i think he can up b after wall clinging.

errtu

Smash Apprentice
That's been around since Super Mario Bros. (1). No, with this wall cling, you literally cling to the wall, you do not fall at all.
is that a fact? don't really remember played it a long time ago. galaxy was fresher in my mind. but u got my point. cool! no falling. i´ll check it out in a month when i get the game

d-Rishain-g

Smash Cadet
love to see video of how it really works. ................ hopefully some one well have the gal to show it working instead of talking about it

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'd like to see a video on it later on as well. It sounds like a pretty useful tactic for those players that CAN cling. I don't think I'll be maining any of the characters so far listed that can cling, but at least it is interesting to note that they can do that.

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
I think Lucario can wall cling...look at the 1v1 final Smash comparison...During Jiggly's, the Lucario player ^B's into the weird sides of FD and sticks there...only to jump back up onto the stage.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think Lucario can wall cling...look at the 1v1 final Smash comparison...During Jiggly's, the Lucario player ^B's into the weird sides of FD and sticks there...only to jump back up onto the stage.
He can. I just tested him out (I'm testing all of my currently unlocked characters out in turn). Re-read the first post to see just how broken his wall cling is.

Krimtcw

Smash Rookie
You might want to edit that short list of who can wall cling, you forgot Diddy.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Can you check these out?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2HU_AJbx10Q
Lucario Wall Clings and than appears to run up the side of the stage @ 7:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqn-rukQvKI
Squirt also appears to do the same thing @ 1:37.

Could be wrong in assuming they are running and not jumping but this is like the only stage I have seen this happen on and few (if any) vids show wall cling. Just wanted to know what you think about them.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever been able to make some one wall cling then climb up the wall? I saw a video of Lucario wall clinging out of his Up B, and then it looked like he climed up onto the stage.

Go to 7:30 of this video and keep your eye on Lucario: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2HU_AJbx10Q

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
Can you check these out?

Could be wrong in assuming they are running and not jumping but this is like the only stage I have seen this happen on and few (if any) vids show wall cling. Just wanted to know what you think about them.
Dang, you beat me to it with the first vid. Maybe you can only run up the side on stages that have slanted bottoms. Like, maybe on let's say the Wario Ware stage you have to jump up, but on Final Destination characters can run up.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can you check these out?

In the first video, Lucario just wall clung into a "second jump" wall cling jump.

In the second vid, Squirtle just wall clung into a "wall jump"-wall cling jump. I could be wrong. It could be just "second jump"-wall cling jump.

Neither is running up the stage.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
It seems you left out Toon Link from your tests. Would you mind trying him? I'm interested since Young Link could wall jump in melee.
As I stated, I tried it out with all of my currently unlocked characters. I'm off to finish the SSE to unlock, among others, Toon Link, now.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Whoever said Lucario can up B again after a wall cling is wrong. I asked DarkDragoon to verify whether he could or not, and it turns out that you have to land in order to get your up B back.

It's good, but it isn't broken. In the case of Sheik, her recovery wasn't that long and since everyone gets a free sweet spot it's no longer special. It kinda makes sense that she would have it, and for the obvious reason being that she is pretty much a ninja.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Ummm why are you yapping about being able to cling and jump, I thought you always had to be able to jump in order to be able to cling?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ummm why are you yapping about being able to cling and jump, I thought you always had to be able to jump in order to be able to cling?
Wall Clinging is new (in only exists in Brawl). Squirtle can't wall jump. However, it can wall cling.

Also, first post edited in regards to Lucario.

Tyros

Smash Cadet
*explodes*
YES! Awesome!! Pikachu now has a wall jump! I never understood WHY Pichu had it and Pikachu did NOT in Melee!
Phew, sorry about that, that news just made me happy. XD;

- Tyros

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
*explodes*
YES! Awesome!! Pikachu now has a wall jump! I never understood WHY Pichu had it and Pikachu did NOT in Melee!
Phew, sorry about that, that news just made me happy. XD;

- Tyros
The thumb rule was something along the lines of "the fastests jumpers have it". I guess Pikachu either jumps faster now is the rest are just slower than him.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Luigi has a unique Wall cling out of his Green Missile (his head gets stuck in the wall if he hits it).

Meaning Lucario might not have a natural Wall Cling like Sheik and Squirtle, if he only does it out of his Extremespeed.

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I think that wall clinging is useless excpet for maybe recovering.

Fonz

Smash Ace
I don't think it's useless, but you seem to be exaggerating when you claim that it is "broken", Yuna. Let's not go crazy just yet.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Argh, reading this topic just makes me want to toy around with Brawl's mechanics even more!! Baaaaahh!! >.<

Top Bottom