• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas Impressions

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
Granted, it's not been long, but I've been playing extensively, and here are my impressions:

Lucas is good. Not Top Tier material, but good nonetheless. He's got really smooth Aerials that don't really work as finishing moves though, but all of his 3 smashes are deadly. Generally, he seems better than Ness in nearly all aspects.

Moveset:

AAA: 3 fast kicks. Pretty nice, it seems like msot standard A combos in this game are quite good.
Dash A: Lucas pulls his hand back and releases a brust of PSI-Energy in front of him. It's got a bit of inital delay, but it's quite good and works as a launcher and even a KO move at very high percents.

F-Tilt: Lucas sends a quick PSI shock in front of him. Very, very fast, and decent knockback. Can also KO at very high percents.
U-Tilt: The mentally powered flipkick. Good range, pretty fast, and a nice alternative to the much slower Up-Smash. It looks cool as well.
D-Tilt: Rapid ground kicks, Lucas spins around. Good against the wall, but not all that useful.

N-Air: Lucas spins around rapidly, releasing lots of PSI energy. Low knockback and not that useful, but I'e not been using it much, so it could be better than I think.
F-Air: A smaller version of Zelda's Lightning Kick. Very fast, good damage and knockback. Can be used as a combo move at low percents and a finisher at higher ones. Nice aerial.
U-Air: A headbutt. It's fast, has good power, and it carries the momentum of your jump, allowin for a quick "teleport" upwards. Pretty neat.
D-Air: A great move. 3 rapid , each sending down bursts of PSI. The first hits have low damage, no knockback and minor stun, the last hit however does good damage and spikes.
B-Air: Back Aerial? More like Bread and Butter Aerial. Very fast, 180 Degree range, and 3 disjointed hitboxes. The initla one is kinda weak, the second one does good knockback and the last one spikes as well. Very sexy aerial.

F-Smash: It's... a... stick? Well, it's an awesome stick! It got a much better KO power than the majority of F-smashes, and it's fast. The downside is it's low range though, but it's a great move and one of Lucas' most reliable finishers.
D-Smash: Downsmash hits only one side? Think again. Lucas creates 3 rapid explosions at the ground, each one doing great damage and great knockback (again, far above average for D-smashes). It's also got much more range than you'd think, including a small invisible hitbox that even hits opponents that stand behind Lucas, but they must be close.
U-Smash: Rather slow startup, huge lag, and MASSIVE damage. One of the most powerful smash attacks in the game (The only stronger ones I can think of belong to Dedede, Ivysaur and Ike), and probably the U-smash with the biggest range (it covers more horizontal distance than the F-Smash). Lucas pulls a needle out of the ground, unleashing a huge explosion of PSI above him. It's kinda slow and very punishable though, so be careful. Then again, it's the perfect pinisher, and using it out of the shield or while running is awesome. Oh, did I mention it's got Super Armor frames at the beginning of the attack?

Grab: Lucas' rope snake is nice. It's much faster than Link's hookshot or Samus' grapple beam, but also shorter. It being usable as a Tether Recovery also eliminates one of Lucas' weaknesses.
Grab Attack: Lucas literally pummels his victims. It's extremely fast and does nice damage as well. Probably the best thing about his throws is how much damage you can deal while holding them.
U-Throw: A straight upwards throw. Can KO at high percent, but not much more. You can actually try to follow it up with PK Thunder, since that attack has got quite some knockback. I actually managed to kill some people a few times with this combo.
D-Throw: Can be followed up with one or two aerials at low percents, only U-Air later on, and gets less useful in the higher percentages. Still a nice throw, though.
F-Throw and B-Throw: Pretty similar. Good power, but very heavily influenced by the victim's DI: They can throw the opponent almost completely horizontal (very deadly this way) or almost completely vertical (not so deadly this way). Not the best throws, but it works.

B: PK Freeze. It's great and fun in FFA as it's very fast, but it doesn't seem really useful in 1on1. You can't freeze someone and drop him off the stage because the Freeze sends them upwards first. It seems to work best with direct hits of weak charges, as this actually leaves the opponent open for an attack, possible a well-times Up-Smash finisher.
Side B: PK Fire. It's fast and furious. Okay damage, okay knockback. Actually works as an edgeguarding move of some sorts, and it's pretty spammable. I like this incarnation of PK Fire. Would be better with a tad bit more range, though.
Down B: PSI Magnet. Only covers the front now, but comes out extremely fast and has virtually no lag afterwards. Also, when it activates and hits the opponent, it does low damage, but a surprising knockback. Actually scored me a kill once, but it's not really a viable KO move.
Up B: PK Thunder. It's a bit slower than Ness', but it's better to control, passes through enemies, has nice launch power and can score multiple hits. This time it's even usable as an edgeguard, and it works much, much faster when used for Recovery. Lucas' does about 24% when hitting with a PK Thunder ram, first rapid hits, then big knockback.

Final Smash: PK Starstorm. It's really not as bad as people make it out to be if you set it up right. Basically, it's Hit-or-Miss: A hit at the beginning will lead to more hits and to a KO. It's an awesome FS in FFA, but needs some thought in 1on1. At the ground, you can dodge it pretty well. I recommend using this FS after launching the opponent upwards (with a throw, for example) or when the enemy is off-edge or somehow disabled. Not the best Final Smash, but really not the worst.

Okay, generally, Lucas kills with his Smash attacks. His grabs are okay, but nothing great (as with most characters in Brawl, it's hard to get a combo out of them). Some of his aerials can kill, but only at higher percents or in the case of a spike, which is actually a highly recommended method. Aerials act mostly as damage-dealing moves and to combo into finishing Smashes. Counting all 3 of them together, Lucas probably got the most powerful Smash attacks in the game. Yes. So use them, darnit!

My main form of attack was a fast aerial game consisting of B-Airs and F-Airs. grabs, dash attacks, tilts and PK fire inbetween are useful as well. Of course, Smashes are always good. The F-Smash is probably my most used one. Don't try U-Smash before the enemy has at least ~30%, otherwise he could probably get back at you during your lag >_< As awesome as Lucas' U-Smash is, don't spam it, or you will get punished. Instead, use it to punish, to tech-chase and to kill.

More precisely, my aerial game consists of mainly B-Airs. With Lucas' fast shorthops, his aerial maneuverabiltiy and his huge disjointed range of his B-Air, you can play him with a Wall of Pain-like style. SHFF'd Back-Airs are a great way to deal damage, pressure the opponent and be relatively safe. That's why I called it his Bread & Butter. It's that awesome.

For edgeguards, you have to be aggresive: Jump out and knock the opponent back with F-Air, B-Air or PK Fire, or go for a Spike with the 3rd hits of B-Air and D-Air. D-air is also a very versatile move, as it reaches far below you. A tactic I regularly used was fastfalling through an opponent with the initial hits of the D-Air, leaving them slightly stunned, then instantly F-Smashing after I hit the ground. It works pretty well, but you have to time it so the attack is more or less over when you reach the ground.

Besides his lack fo aerial killing power, another weakness is Lucas' recovery. Even though PK Thunder is much faster than Ness', it can still be interrupted by fast edguarders. That's where the Rope Snake comes in, although it's range is rather limited. The good side is that PK Thunder blasts Lucas very, very far, much farther than most. Try to make the best out of it.

Lucas = Dominating in the air, lethal on the ground. A well-rounded character that enters the stage on a walking tea-table. Classic.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Fantastic work! Is it really true that the Up smash has more horizontal distance than the Fsmash? :0

Wow.

I always thought it would be a useless move because of its speed, but you seem to make it sound like it can actually be used effectively.

By the way, I think you should probably try using Nair more. It's a multi-hitting attack and stays out for a long time. You should be able to use it out of a short hop to set your opponent up, depending on how much lag it has when it hits.

Also, concerning PK Freeze: It looks like a good move to cover Lucas against aerial opponents. Is this the case?

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Fantastic work! Is it really true that the Up smash has more horizontal distance than the Fsmash? :0

Wow.

I always thought it would be a useless move because of its speed, but you seem to make it sound like it can actually be used effectively.

By the way, I think you should probably try using Nair more. It's a multi-hitting attack and stays out for a long time. You should be able to use it out of a short hop to set your opponent up, depending on how much lag it has when it hits.

Also, concerning PK Freeze: It looks like a good move to cover Lucas against aerial opponents. Is this the case?
Well, it seems to me that U-Smash covers more horizontal distance than F-smash. I could be wrong, but the range of the attack is huge, I can assure you that =P

What i forgot to mention is that the Up-Smash has some Super Armor frames at the beginning. Also, if you didn't know, in Brawl you can just mash up the C-Stick while running and you'll do a sliding Up-Smash.

I'll get to play today, so I'll experiment a bit more, mainly with my underused moves (N-Air and D-Tilt need it the most).

Ok Freeze doesn't seem that good against aerial opponents... The explosion and freezing effect gets larger the more you charge it, so if you do it defensively, the area of effect is very small.

Oh, and I need to look into PSI Magnet as well. Someone over at Starmen.net said that it has ridiculous knockback and that he got killed by it at 42%. I REALLY need to look into that. If that's true... dear god. =D

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
YES SUPER ARMOR@!!!

I TOTALLY CALLED IT!!

Wow, thank you so much for confirming this! I was thinking to myself "hm, this move will be useless unless it has super armor, but Lucas is too small and weedy to have such a luxury."

Man, I'm very happy with this.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
It's rather short though. I'm pretty sure it's only active during the animation of actually pulling out the needle.
That's good enough really. Most often you'll be using it to trade blows with some predictable slow attack like Ike's Fsmash.

So can you tell me, does the super armor start as soon as you do the attack pretty much, or does it kick in after a few frames? Because if it's immediate super armor, this attack is awesome, no matter how short the super armor frames are.

I just love super armor. If this is the case, then this attack could almost become reactionary against certain characters with laggy attacks.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
I really have to check it again today. So far, I can't say anything with a guarantee, sorry. But yeah, it seems useful to rush in with a sliding U-Smash, taking a hit and blasting them away. Let me see to that today. I should know in 12 hours or so.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Thanks for that.

I went and watched a good close-up of Lucas's up smash, and if the super armor frames are indeed only on the needle-pulling part of the animation, then that's fantastic because he pretty much grabs hold of the needle instantly.

I can so see this move being really useful against those Ike players who like to abuse their Bairs. As soon as you see Ike leave the ground and RAR, use Up smash to counter them!

Oh man, I wish I had the game so I could test this on my own. XD Super armor is one of my favorite additions to Smash Bros.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Okay, after several hours of playing today, some more info:

Super Armor. I etsted it a bit and it doesn't seem that useful. I think it exists, but I'm not even sure anymore, but it does not activate during the initial frames (the actual needle pull). So sadly, no awesome Super Armor traps. Sorry to disappoint you.

Okay, now for the good stuff. PSI Magnet.

This move is awesome. Let's look at the defensive purpose first. PSI Magnet does NOT cover only Lucas' front, despite it's looks. When someone fires a projectil from behind Lucas, he will instantly TURN AROUND to absorb the projectile. That's friggin awesome. Also, the range of the absorption is huge, it looks like it will absorb some stuff that wouldn't even have normally hit Lucas. Now, if that wasn't good enough, from what i've seen you recover TWICE the damage of the projectile you absorbed.

As an interesting tidbit, Pit's arrows can be absorbed by PSI Magnet. Yes.

Now the offensive capabilities: PSI Magnet does around 9% and has some very nice knockback. It's comparable to the sweetspot of his F-Air, I think,and that's good. Now, the attack doesn't hit when you summon it, it hits when it vanishes. So, you can use PSI Magnet and keep it up while touching the opponent and nothing will happen, but if you stop it, it will be a hit. The best way to attack is to quickly tap Down B for a very fast PSI Magnet Flash.

While it's not an end-it-all killer move, it's a very good attack and a very good defense. Really a wonderful move.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
FFF. -_-

Well they have to exist at some point during the move. Maybe they only block weak attacks? Maybe the super armor starts at the point where Lucas "flashes" before he pulls out the needle?

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
Some of my impressions of Lucas after playing him for a bit:

He has a very short short-hop and quite lag-free aerials, so with a bit of fast falling Lucas can move around with aerials attacks very quickly compared to most characters. You could probably hit most characters stomach with his d-air ^__^ Also because he has the psychic energy stuff coming out of him they seem quite powerful with a bit of range too. An interesting thing I found with his neutral air was that depending on how you hit it they either get knocked away, or stay close. Now this was only on a dopey Lv3 comp Fox, but I could literally string n-air after n-air together on him. So whilst no doubt humans will be DI'ing, its still got combo potential.

Lucas' smashes are all very strong compared to most. However only his f-smash seems practical because his up and down smashes take too long. I could see n-air to f-smash looking cool. As you'd expect, I don't think pk freeze will be getting too much use as it leaves you open. PK Thunder may be an interesting edge-guarder - I literally tried it only once, but because the thunder didn't vanish after contact with the enemy, I carried the comp off the stage with 2 hits from it. Because everyone auto-snaps to the edge, getting something (or yourself) out there off stage is going to be the main way of edgeguarding.

Something which I've noticed every character can seem to do with much greater ease in Brawl is instant edgehog. Instant edgehog against Falco up+B feels good. ^___^

Firekid2

Smash Apprentice
Serpit, you should post a video of 2 Fox's spaming lazers while Lucas does PSI Magnet. It would look so badass...

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Between pk fire and that info on psi magnet, and the lack of effective dashdancing in this game... I think lucas just may end up being one of the best campers in the game ._.

Seriously, if your foe can't even approach you without getting either sent flying by pk fire or having a psi magnet flash in their face, it could lead to some pretty frustrating games for some opponents who lack range. lol

Anyway, what kind of trajectory does the psi magnet have? Not only on the ground, but in the air, too, as it may end up being an efficient offstage edgeguard, due to its large range.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
The great thing about PSI magnet is that it doesn't hit the opponent until you release it. So you can jump off the edge, hold PSI magnet in front of you and then zap the opponent with it at just the right time.

Since it damages from release, you are probably left with very little lag at the end of the move, maybe it can set up for combos?

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I got to play Lucas myself.

LOVE LOVE LOVE his Smashes. The Forward is quick, the up is the nastiest in the game, and the down-smash is epic.

Lucas takes a lot of what I don't like about Ness (difficult to control PK Thunder, erratic smashes) and fixes it, and the fact that he's fairly quick means he compliments my play style (smash and run). I'm by no means a pro or anyone too good (I got floored in every match except two, then again it was my first Brawl time and I was up against a few who had gotten good with Wolf/Metaknight/Pit), but I do study the styles of the wise.

PK Freeze is great for setting up for an up smash because that move is otherwise punishable. I also noticed the two epic properties of his PSI Magnet (the reversal and how it damages when it shuts off), especially since both gave me the one of two victories I had.

I played Ness and he seemed even harder to control than Sonic -_-. True, he hits harder than Lucas on average but I still don't like his smashes or his Up B.

That's all I've got for Lucas now but hopefully I can get more fun in on Friday.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Between pk fire and that info on psi magnet, and the lack of effective dashdancing in this game... I think lucas just may end up being one of the best campers in the game ._.

Seriously, if your foe can't even approach you without getting either sent flying by pk fire or having a psi magnet flash in their face, it could lead to some pretty frustrating games for some opponents who lack range. lol

Anyway, what kind of trajectory does the psi magnet have? Not only on the ground, but in the air, too, as it may end up being an efficient offstage edgeguard, due to its large range.
From what I've seen, the trajectory seems fairly normal. Horizontal, but arcing upwards diagonally.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Hey Serpit! Some guy on the main boards said that it's possible to combo an up smash from Lucas's Nair.

Since Nair apparently has no lag if you hit the ground in the MIDDLE of the attack's animation, and because it's a multi-hit move with good stun, you should be able to cancel a late Nair directly into an up smash.

Can you try this? If it turns out to be true, it would be huge.

If it doesn't work with a Nair, give the Uair a go, I suppose.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Hey Serpit! Some guy on the main boards said that it's possible to combo an up smash from Lucas's Nair.

Since Nair apparently has no lag if you hit the ground in the MIDDLE of the attack's animation, and because it's a multi-hit move with good stun, you should be able to cancel a late Nair directly into an up smash.

Can you try this? If it turns out to be true, it would be huge.

If it doesn't work with a Nair, give the Uair a go, I suppose.
I actually tried stuff like that out today ^^ It's a bit iffy: Nair has virtually no lag, and I often managed to connect an F-Tilt or F-Smash after it, even an Up-Smash once. Some times however, the opponent would just jab me before I got to Smash. If the Nair isn't finished, the hitsun isn't really big. I think it'slike with the Dair, you need to time when you hit the ground for maximum usefulness.

Also, if there is anymore stuff you want to know, I got Brawl for at least a week now, so I can look into it. Also, ROB is kind of awesome xD

KnivesOut

Smash Rookie
i've been playing with Lucas a lot recently and he seems definitely top tier material. His moves execute pretty fast and he's incredibly strong. You can easily pull off some nasty combos with shff his aerials.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Yeah, Serpit, can you mess around with PSI Magnet? I hear it has no lag, so try to combo with it and see how that goes.

Also, try shorthop U-air to up smash.

And also: somebody else reported "super armor" on Lucas's up smash, but instead of SA, they are actual invincibility frames. PK thunder 2 apparently has them as well.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Serpit, can you mess around with PSI Magnet? I hear it has no lag, so try to combo with it and see how that goes.

Also, try shorthop U-air to up smash.

And also: somebody else reported "super armor" on Lucas's up smash, but instead of SA, they are actual invincibility frames. PK thunder 2 apparently has them as well.

I'll see what I find it. I played around with PSI Magnet yesterday, and it's kidn of odd. While it's pretty fast, the hitbox seems weird. Sometimes it msised when it should have hit. I haven't been able to effectively integrate it into my playstyle, but I'll try to improve that. It's a nice edgeguard though =P

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Okay, some more notes:

N-Air is awesome. Virtually no lag when landing, so you can combo with it very nicely. U-Tilt is my follow-up of chocie because it's fast and knocks the enemy up for more damage. F-Smash works too, but it's less reliable. I also got some U-Smashes out of it, but this will only work if the opponent doesn't protect himself somehow. I would't recommend it, as U-Smash will gvie your opponent the time to dodge away after the N-Air, then hit you in the downtime after the U-Smash.

PSI Magnet is the best thing ever against energy projectiles and especially Pikachu's thunder, but even after playing for a good time I haven't been able to put it to much offensive use. I thought it would be a quick hit, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as the hitbox is rather limited and Lucas' super-speedy aerials hit faster, especially the F-Air, which would be the direct alternative to an aerial PSI Magnet.

F-Smash is so godly >_> I get most of my kills now from F-Smash now. U-Smash and D-Smash find application as well, but the sheer speed of F-Smash and it's huge power makes it so wonderful to kill people. I haven't tested in in a direct comparison, btu the stick seems so surpass Ness' Bat in KO power, despite the speed difference.

I initially thought Lucas' throws were weak, but if I compare them to the throws of other people, they are actually very strong. As I said, low percent D-Throws need to aerials, and B- and F-Throw can KO at higher percents. Sadly, after the ~30% range is exceeded, none of Lucas' throws combo anymore, but a good thign you can do is probably to send a PK Thunder after them.

Pk Thunder.. I spam it. A lot. I actually feel like a noob. While you can airdodge away, PK Thunder is still a great projectile. It's especially the multi-hit part of the attack that causes so much damage. Combine two hits with the head and some tail-whips, and you can do damage in the twenties, sometimes up to thirty. While you need to be cautious so you don't get punished, it's still useful as edgeguard or pressuring follow-up to attacks with higher knockback. The great thing is that it's so maneuverable, so after your opponent airdodges through the Thunde,r you can turn around and hit at them again.

On a different note, I've also taken a liking to ROB and Wolf. ROB, despite having some very powerful attacks and broken recovery, strikes me as Low Tier (just an impression though). Can't comment on Wolf much, as I've not played with him that much.

And while I first liked it, I am now very disappointed with PK Freeze D:
I dream of a character that has 4 really useful special moves, not just 3 >_<

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this is really nice. Thanks!

What do you think about PK Thunder 2? Is is more or less accurate than Melee Ness'? Does it sweetspot as well as Ness used to?

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Yay! Yay! Yay!

I was able to play Lucas in a tournament on a friend's imported copy of Brawl. He was my best character, and so much fun to play.

Pk Thunder.. I spam it. A lot. I actually feel like a noob. While you can airdodge away, PK Thunder is still a great projectile. It's especially the multi-hit part of the attack that causes so much damage. Combine two hits with the head and some tail-whips, and you can do damage in the twenties, sometimes up to thirty. While you need to be cautious so you don't get punished, it's still useful as edgeguard or pressuring follow-up to attacks with higher knockback. The great thing is that it's so maneuverable, so after your opponent airdodges through the Thunde,r you can turn around and hit at them again.
Tee hee. I actually had a really fun experience with PK Thunder. I curved it over into my opponent, who was right next to me, and hit them several times before curling it back to hit myself. They were so close to me that they got hit my every hit of the PK Missile as well, resulting in a ton of hits and their death as they shot off the stage with the knockback from the final hit.

Seems like PK Thunder's last hit sends airborne opponents directly along the path of its trajectory, as opposed to Ness's, who's one hit has more of an explosive effect and almost always sends victims upwards. But that could just be 'cause of the angles I've been using.

The problem I seem to have with Lucas is finding reliable killing moves. He combos well and is great at ranged combat and keeping foes away, but when it comes time to deliver the final blow, I have problems.

All his smashes are killers, but they need to be placed very carefully in order to work well. I never tried the forward throw, however.

I actually really enjoy PK Freeze. Like Ness's PK Flash, it's a very situational move, but it's pretty cool, especially in team battles. I like to use it to ledge guard, too.

Oh ... And I wanted to mention something about PK Magnet. It seems to me that the knockback on it is roughly comparable to PK Fire. It's hard to hit with, but I can imagine it being really useful--jumping at a projectile-spamming opponent and absorbing, then releasing just as the absorbtion point passes into their body.

Also, it's possible to cancel the lag on PK Fire if you do it in the air close to the ground. Other characters had this ability in melee, (including Ness), but I'm surprised they didn't take it out in Brawl. (Ness's cancel was never very useful because of the downward angle on PK fire, however.)

One other thing ... I think they might have made bat (or stick) reflecting easier. I was pretty good reflecting with Ness in Melee, but in Brawl it seems effortless. Too effortless for me to believe I'm just that good at it. (I did it the very first time I tried in a test, and any time I've tried since.)

abooooty

Smash Rookie
if you do psi magnet backwards, he turns around automatically if the projectile is shot at his back. so psi magnet pwns noobs

Kaiii

Smash Rookie
d-tilt

hey...i main lucas and have been only playing him for like a couple of days (can only play on weekends)...but i was fighting a CPU once and when i d-tilt as a edgeguard or to knock him off the edge after the invicibility frames, it kinda pseudo-spiked...it was like a weak shiek fair but it was more down-ish...idk i remember seeing it like acouple of times...

also...i recommend using d-tilt often in a 3 or 4 player FFA...it has virtually no lag and i think u can jump out of it...it can be used to score in some quick hits like a stronger jab...kinda...

im new and this is my first post...and i barely played brawl (in days not hours)...but i think d-tilt is some sort of pseudo-spike and is quite useful

PS: whats "Super Armor"?

Top Bottom