• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An interesting discovery about High Gravity mode

SGX

Smash Journeyman
After spending a night with Brawl, I realized that it's extremely fun, but my only complaint is that it is in fact too floaty. Seeing 180%+ is fairly common, and combos are pretty much impossible.

Today I discovered how amazing high gravity mode is. Combos are possible, Teching is useful again, and smashes actually feel like they have some power behind them.

Now it only disappoints me that high gravity mode wasn't the standard, (Or something close to it) because the game is a hell of a lot more fun this way. (IMO)

Has anyone else tried this out? Thoughts? Comments?

vagabond

Smash Apprentice
So there's actually a mode in the game that allows for less floatiness? If that's the case, since it's a better way to play the game, perhaps it will be adopted as the standard.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
So there's actually a mode in the game that allows for less floatiness? If that's the case, since it's a better way to play the game, perhaps it will be adopted as the standard.
...please tell me you're kidding.

...at the very least let's have Brawl and Melee 2.0 tournaments, and not just one or the other.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
I'll take some videos today in High Gravity mode so you guys can better judge.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
How can smashes be more powerful in High Gravity mode? The High Gravity should only make it harder to knock people out.

5@/\/\U5

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure how I'd feel about high grav being the "competitve standard." kinda feels wrong in a way. Wouldn't character traits and the intended balance of normal brawling be effected?

SGX

Smash Journeyman
I thought that too, but it just feels so....right.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
High gravity mode shouldn't be the standard because of a lack of l-canceling. The floatiness of standard Brawl is supposed to counter the lack of l-canceling, so only characters who have little aerial lag would fare well in high gravity.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
it should be a kind of custom tournament, like team battles, but not the overall standard. Something to compete at competitively, but certainly not the only way.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
The idea is good for custom tourneys, but not as the standard. It's like Melee, but worse, because of the adv techs missing. Can we just accept how Brawl plays normally and enjoy it until we find some new exploits?

ro0kie42

Smash Apprentice
Can you upload a pic of what option to change? The last time i randomly messed around with options, i turned the damage display off. hehe.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Sounds awesome. It's good to know that there are potential options to undo any dumbing-down that Sakurai may or may have not done to Brawl. It'd be sweet if he actually included options intended for serious play. That'd give them a good chance of not imbalancing anything by switching the settings.

As for people pulling the generic "not Melee 2.0" and "these aren't default settings" cards:

Tournaments are going to use the most competitive settings, no matter what the default settings are. Any competitive organization of any seriousness is not going to purposely use dumbed-down setting for shallow reasons. Technical ones, yes, but not pointless ones. If there's any resemblence between Melee and Brawl competitive play, it's because those settings are competitive, not because people are trying to copy Melee.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If this is what we chose is best for competative play, then this is what we'll use. However, that will not be before extensive testing of the defualt settings. We will simply try both, and after a year or so we will pick one to be the standard.

Chojo

Smash Cadet
Wow, this is almost creepy.

This morning, I thought to myself "What if you could increase gravity in Brawl? Wouldn't it be the exact same as Melee, minus L-cancelling and what not?"

And I come onto the forums and see this topic.

Wow. Haha. This is good to hear =D

yolky

Smash Rookie
Brawl's floatiness is a good thing...it creates the balance that melee lacked. I for one am glad they put it in, speedy character no longer dominate, and the heavy characters actually stand a chance.

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
Only problem I see is the inability to do full jumps (Unless they were exclusively shortjumping in that half-minute of the video where I was watching.) While less used than shortjumps, full jumps should still at least be POSSIBLE.

Nonchalant

Smash Cadet
Didn't anyone see that picture in which it showed the gravity setting? I'm surprised at you guys!

Any way, you can't really argue that it's the way the game was made and stuff because even with melee we had banned stages and we didn't use items which were there to begin with no? Etc. etc.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Didn't anyone see that picture in which it showed the gravity setting? I'm surprised at you guys!

Any way, you can't really argue that it's the way the game was made and stuff because even with melee we had banned stages and we didn't use items which were there to begin with no? Etc. etc.
You have a point. But we messed with settings to make things less random. Gravity isn't a random thing. Still an argument though..

yshikllr

Smash Apprentice
I really like this. Brawl's floatiness seems to have severely limited edgeguarding and made it much less prevelant. This high-gravity mode would seem to bring back some of the edgeguarding. It's very cool that Brawl has this option.

Zek

Smash Ace
I think the odds of the game being balanced with this setting on are very very small. The fact that it basically forces you to shorthop every single time doesn't help. It's time you guys just learn to live with it.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
If this is what we chose is best for competative play, then this is what we'll use. However, that will not be before extensive testing of the defualt settings. We will simply try both, and after a year or so we will pick one to be the standard.
Pretty much, although I have a feeling that there will be more settings to test than just this one.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

We should at least try it.

We originally gave items and all the stages a chance, but after a while we determined that they were bad for competative play.

We need to give this option the same chance.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
The only problem I noticed besides the more difficult jumping as someone already pointed out is that while the increased gravity makes horizontal KOs happen more easily, it conversely makes vertical KOs more difficult. There was one point in the video where Fox should've died from a sky-KO but instead he fell faster and did not reach the same height he would've normally. Unfortunately I don't think that problem is solveable.

Proven

Smash Apprentice
Why do people feel like Brawl's floatiness ruins edge guarding? Just edge guard different.

Every character has at least one high knockback aerial, or even a spike. Rather than poke at people trying to get back on the ledge, hasn't anyone considered jumping off and using one of these specific attacks? Even a projectile would do better.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Haha. You are quite the negotiator.
I do my best >.>

I'm just tired of people seemingly blindly yelling at Brawl, espacially when they haven't played the game. The game IS floatier. The game IS slower. This is a NEW GAME with NEW RULES, so of course changes were made. The change from Melee to Brawl is even more drastic than the change from Smash 64 to Melee, most likely. But Smash 64 fans didn't just all out flame the game like it's Satan.

Chexr

Smash Ace
The way it is right now Brawl looks to be Melee .5 to me. This coming from someone who mains the floaty jigglypuff.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
The only problem I noticed besides the more difficult jumping as someone already pointed out is that while the increased gravity makes horizontal KOs happen more easily, it conversely makes vertical KOs more difficult. There was one point in the video where Fox should've died from a sky-KO but instead he fell faster and did not reach the same height he would've normally. Unfortunately I don't think that problem is solveable.
But it would speed up the pace of the game. Fast u kills from fox have always been complaints about. It it likely chars will lose stock faster from edge guarding and this was the way to go in melee as well. Personally I like to see this develop.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
To the person worried about inability to do star KOs, couldn't you just juice up the damage ratio to 1.25 or something?

There's way too many options to be tested competitively, I fear.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
A lot of guys acting real silly with that "lets make high gravity mode the standard" ****. Brawl is a different game. A fun looking game, too.

If you want Melee it will always be there you know.

Top Bottom