• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noir's Advance Technique/Reseach and Discussion.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: For now, I will stop answering questions like "how good is this? how good is this character?"

More specifically, I made this thread to show old or new techniques in SSBB that can be useful for higher level of play. Not to rate characters or to try out something like if Sonic's spring from Up B in mid-air hurts an enemy if it falls on them(in which it does, if you're wondering).

With that said, there is a random section. Ignore it lol.

Another edit: If you don't have the game, don't argue with me. Float canceling does not exist.

Well, as some of you may know, I have my own copy of SSBBrawl in my hands.

I have been trying to find as many advances techniques, and so far I think I have been quite successful given having the game for only 2 days.

If anyone wishes to contribute, then I'd be more than happy to accept.

Here are the things I have found out so far...

Gameplay Mechanics

List of notable things
- No one can DJC
- Analog Shielding is out(Must press L/R all the way down)
- JC grabs are out
- Dash dance is very very small*
- L-canceling out*
- CCing out*
- Peach cannot float cancel
- Tripping seems entirely random (when initiating a dash)
- You cannot cancel your dash with crouch

The biggest one so far is probably

Fox Trotting and Pivoting. (not entirely new but...)

VIDEOS:
(Marth) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8wygkxDyI
(Wolf testing) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tBzYAaGu0

Separate thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140723

This is the brawl alternative for dash dancing. You can also smash attack out of a dash.

Fox trotting is using the initial dash movement continuously to move. It is possible in Brawl.

To do so, you must wait till the end of the dashing animation, then dash again.

In Brawl, you can only do this in one direction. To change directions, you must dash dance.

Every character can dash dance, but only with the initial frames of a starting dash. Because fox trotting uses the starting dash continuously, at the beginning of each "trot", you can initiate a dash dance. You can use this dash dance to change the direction of your fox trot fluidly.

You can also cancel the initial frames of a dash(in the range of what you can dash dance) with an Up Smash, Forward Smash(both ways, shown), Forward B(both ways), Down smash, and down tilt. I'm not sure how to get a down tilt though, as it has come out randomly. Quite possibly other normals are cancelable, but the dash dance makes that impossible or extremely very hard.

You can also run one way and immediately dash attack the other way with this.

Possibly the dash dance alternative to brawl?

(a better / clearer explaination would be nice lol, I suck)

Confirmation of no L-Canceling

L-canceling does not exist in Brawl. Simply put, Lag from landing with an aerial attack is determined on what aerial you land with.

EX: Landing with Mario's Fair has decent amount of lag, but landing with a Bair gets almost no lag at all.

Landing from an aerial during it's early frames will sometimes get no lag, depending on the move(usually slow start up ones).

EX: Landing right as you being Peach's Fair will get you no lag, as opposed to landing in the middle of it. Same thing with Kirby's drill.

Confirmation of no Crouch Canceling

VIDEO:
(Marth and Sheik) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyHqbpfJ7lY

One hand I simply do marth's jab A, and in the other hand I try to CC and attack back with Dtilt.

Simply put, crouching does not cancel hit stun.

The last part of the video shows that marth's second jab stuffs the attempted Dtilt after trying to CC the first hit.

Knockback is the same if I hold down or if I don't.

Reverse Jump / Jump back towards (Naming in progress)

VIDEO:
(Utilizing Mario's Bair)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3W_AxqxSE

Not entirely advanced, but...

Because of the new game mechanics in Brawl, you can run forward, turn around, and jump, making your character keep your forward jumping momentum while facing the other way.

Simply Run forward, then turn around and jump at the same time. Then hold the direction you were running toward.

This feels like a very important technique, as many characters have very good Back aerials, but bad or decent Neutral airs or forward airs.

This was possible in melee, but your momentum was slowed down. Not entirely "advance", but very useful.

GIF examples of jump back toward (video from me, GIFs made by Crispy4001)

Seen in the following GIFs is Toon Link running toward Ganondorf and then approaching him with multiple back airs while still moving toward the enemy.

Explanation Gliding / Glide Canceling

To glide, you hold the jump button after your character's second or more jump(assuming the character can glide of course).

You can control the direction of you glide with up or down, but only toward the direction of your glide. If you go up, you will gradually lose speed, but gain altitude. Vice versa for going downward(common sense, right?)

If you direct your glide straight upwards, your glide will cancel. The most downward angle of a glide is around

Any time during the glide, you can press jump to cancel it or A to attack out of it. The gliding A attack is unique and not any of the character's regular aerials.

If your character has a remaining jump after canceling gliding midair, you will be able to do another action after canceling your glide in both ways. This includes using the remaining jump(s). You cannot glide again until you touch the ground EXCEPT for Metaknight, as his up B allows him to glide again.

If your character does not have any remaining jumps after canceling a glide midair, you will enter a falling state.

If you land on the ground while gliding, you will be in a knocked down state.

To avoid this, press jump or A to cancel your glide right before you touch the ground. There will be no landing lag at all.

I feel as if I'm missing something. I'll edit it later if something comes up.

Character specifics

Ice Climbers Desync

VIDEO:
(Ice Climbers desync) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmjtD9E2gg

Desyncing with ICs in Brawl. Simply dash dance back and forth once, then do an action. Nana should be recovering from a dash as you do an attack. Then you should be desynced.

Falco's SHL

VIDEO:
(FALCO[obviously]) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZqxOGlNErg

Falco's SHL in Brawl. You must delay it or both lasers will go overhead(second one hits ganondorf in the forehead).

Oh, also an important note, you cannot influence your aerial direction nor fastfall while shooting lasers.

Random Crap

Luigi's damaging taunt.

VIDEO:
(Luigi) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlHpH3QYvUY

Luigi's taunt is back. The video shows that the move has set knockback.

More to come soon ^__^ Enjoy for now.

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
Thank you very much, I've been waiting for someone to start posting tech videos, you can only learn so much from watching matches.

Edit: Also, are you willing to take requests? Someone speculated that you could dash, SH and then Air Dodge, kindof like a mid air WD. Do you think you could try this out? I think the way he said it could work is when you SH AD'd, you'd be able to attack.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
This will hurt my laser-reliant Falco game. The huge delay you need due to the higher short hop will kill me...
Thanks for posting this, I've been searching for something like this for a while

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy, more research into widening the newbie-pro gap before they even have their hands on the game.
This is sickening.

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
THIS is the kind of info we need for Brawl! No whining about rosters and that crud! XD

I am LOVING a few of the techs though, FTC looks SMEXY and JBT allows Bair's to act like Fair's..Whats NOT to like?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
This is a very good thread. I have a request if you don't mind.

This might be a little complicated but at least try it out.

Fox trot so that you're close to an enemy-> Dash backwards->pivot grab. Basically I want the effect to be somewhat like a JC'd grab.

Also, can you Crouch Cancel grab? Dash->Crouch->let go of crouch and grab.

Adi

Smash Lord
It isn't affecting you. If you don't like the fact that people are trying to create a competitive metagame than leave.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
This is a very good thread. I have a request if you don't mind.

This might be a little complicated but at least try it out.

Fox trot so that you're close to an enemy-> Dash backwards->pivot grab. Basically I want the effect to be somewhat like a JC'd grab.

Also, can you Crouch Cancel grab? Dash->Crouch->let go of crouch and grab.
I don't understand what you're trying to say for the first one, but you've helped me find out something very interesting.

Grabbing right after a Fox trot gives you more grabbing range than actually running. I'll add this later.

And for the second one, no. You can't cancel dashes with crouching.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
No, it's sickening. The game isn't even out yet (in America) and you guys are looking for every possible way to exploit it's physics.
What's sickening is you getting all upset over the way people are trying to be better at a video game, at a level of play you're not interested in.

Revven

FrankerZ
No, it's sickening. The game isn't even out yet (in America) and you guys are looking for every possible way to exploit it's physics.
Welcome to Smashboards! Where the most professional Smash players discuss new techniques and strategies, your home to competitive Smash!

The point is, if this isn't your cup of tea get out.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Let's not derail a good thread. Ignore the whining - we're above that. Discuss what's actually important.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
Ugh I have to break my CC habit before I get hit. XD
Also: you cannot influence your aerial direction nor fastfall while shooting lasers.
Can you not change your fall direction while doing normal aerials? I once read something similar and I thought your current movement in the air stops to a straight up down fall, but seems I was wrong.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
It isn't affecting you. If you don't like the fact that people are trying to create a competitive metagame than leave.
Obviously it's going to be effecting me. I'm not just going to be playing this game by myself, you know. And I won't bother commenting, nothing I say to you "pros" will change your mind. But I will keep lurking, so I know what I'm up against.
I just... don't really appreciate these exploits that have always existed, and I'm sure Sakurai and his team doesn't either. Otherwise, they would have left wave dashing in. And yes, they are exploits, you don't have to dance around the word just because it's so truthfully ugly.

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
Question 1: Why don't you afk in IRC anymore?
Question 2: Why are you not in IRC so I can bug you about Brawl?

Adi

Smash Lord
Obviously it's going to be effecting me. I'm not just going to be playing this game by myself, you know. And I won't bother commenting, nothing I say to you "pros" will change your mind. But I will keep lurking, so I know what I'm up against.
I just... don't really appreciate these exploits that have always existed, and I'm sure Sakurai and his team doesn't either. Otherwise, they would have left wave dashing in. And yes, they are exploits, you don't have to dance around the word just because it's so truthfully ugly.
Of course it's an exploit, everyone is clearly aware of that. Does exploit necessarily equal bad though? If we were unable to exploit the system a competitive metagame would never be able to develop, and the game would remain stale. The purpose of learning this new techniques aren't to assure competitives victory over casuals because that is already assured; the purpose is to enhance the competition between two players of equivalent skill.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
The no crouch canceling vid did not convince me. CCing was never about canceling hit stun in the first place.

More examples with heavier chars/stronger attacks please, it would make a better vid IMO... CC might not have worked with Sheik simply cause they made her very light in Brawl.

DPK4

Smash Rookie
Id like to see some experimentation with peaches float cancels.
Seconded!

I know crouch canceling is out as of now, but perhaps other forms of it are in, I'll try and take a look when I get my hands on it! Also, could you try grabbing out of a foxtrot, much like how Ness' grab was made more effective through foxtroting?

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
How's Ice Climber's back-Air in Brawl? If it's anywhere near as good as it was in Melee, I can't wait to try this with them.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I don't understand what you're trying to say for the first one, but you've helped me find out something very interesting.

Grabbing right after a Fox trot gives you more grabbing range than actually running. I'll add this later.

And for the second one, no. You can't cancel dashes with crouching.
Basically I was asking if you could use fox trotting to cover a large distance, and then use pivoting to do a standing grab rather than a dash grab. When you get right next to them with fox trot, dash away from them and pivot a grab. I'm thinking if done fast enough it would be the equivalent of running accross the stage and JC grabbing.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I know this goes against the name it had in Melee... but can we PLEASE change the name of foxtrotting to Doubledashing. Doubledashing really describes what it is more and we would get Nintendo-reference points.

Aerozeke

Smash Cadet
You'll be happy to know that the Smash competitive scene amounts to roughly 1% of the total SSB fan population. So play the game how you like it, and let us do the same.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Try to confirm whether or not the waveland found at E4A is still in the final game when you get around to it. Good work so far, I like what I see.

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
It's not our fault the gameplay is so bad that we have to rely on Sakurai's errors in order to make it better. He could have just made the effort to make it better himself, but noooo.

Adi

Smash Lord
SonicWave said:
Basically I was asking if you could use fox trotting to cover a large distance, and then use pivoting to do a standing grab rather than a dash grab. When you get right next to them with fox trot, dash away from them and pivot a grab. I'm thinking if done fast enough it would be the equivalent of running accross the stage and JC grabbing.
Sounds a little redundant. It seems like it would take longer to do that than it would to simply do a dash-grab. I could be mistaken though, it should be looked into.

Aerozeke

Smash Cadet
Oh, one thing:

Can anyone confirm the "air block" that was mentioned in Famitsu or whatever a while ago? It involved air-dodging the moment someone hits you, and then the other person receiving the damage and knockback instead...

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Can you not change your fall direction while doing normal aerials?
No, you can. Thus, you can still shuffle. Without the Lcancel of course.

Question 1: Why don't you afk in IRC anymore?
Question 2: Why are you not in IRC so I can bug you about Brawl?
1. Playing Brawl
2. Playing Brawl

The no crouch canceling vid did not convince me. CCing was never about canceling hit stun in the first place.

More examples with heavier chars/stronger attacks please, it would make a better vid IMO... CC might not have worked with Sheik simply cause they made her very light in Brawl.
Sorry, but I'm playing with my friend right now, and CCing is definitely not in.

How's Ice Climber's back-Air in Brawl? If it's anywhere near as good as it was in Melee, I can't wait to try this with them.
It's just as strong(maybe stronger?), and much easier to land.

You could do that, but it's likely that you'll miss the grab, as the grab range will be pretty bad.

Can you shl by fast falling at the heigh of a sh and then lasering?
No, I've tried many times and also at 1/4th speed. =\

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Try to confirm whether or not the waveland found at E4A is still in the final game when you get around to it. Good work so far, I like what I see.
I've tried landing from an airdodge to simulate a wavedash, and you simply just land.

Oh, one thing:

Can anyone confirm the "air block" that was mentioned in Famitsu or whatever a while ago? It involved air-dodging the moment someone hits you, and then the other person receiving the damage and knockback instead...
Haven't done anything like that, maybe it's in, maybe not.

Top Bottom