• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

In-Depth Pikachu Review (Played at E for All)

T0MMY

Smash Master
I played Pikachu quite a bit at the E for All event on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. So, I decided to type up a little something for people here because I'm nice.
Also, Pikachu seems to be overlooked quite a bit when the game is reviewed.

I first started playing Pikachu because I main Pichu for Melee. Green backpack Pichu, to be specific. I was a little hesitant to play Pikachu at first because it wasn't Pichu, but I looked at his green color and it was a green bandanna (and I was wearing a bandanna). So, I decided to go with him, because of that color.
Right away it was obvious that this is NOT the original Pikachu from Melee! This was Pichu, who evolved into Pikachu!
First clue, while looking through the color scheme, I found he is still wearing his blue goggles! Also, the green bandanna reminded me of the cool green backpack Pichu wore. Too cool. Upon actually playing him, I noticed a lot of similarities of Pichu.
His U-air no longer has the tail-spike. It juggles like Pichu's, but does more damage!
His Skullbash can be charged longer, but not as long as Pichu's. Also, since ledge-grabbing is easier to perform in this game, you can Skullbash to grab the ledge!
His B-air is similar to Melee, but it's multi-hit and feels different.
His D-smash is much improved, actually having a forceful knockback for KO potential. Look forward to spamming this ;^D
His F-air feels a lot more like Pichu's--not as fat and sluggish, he's a younger Pikachu here. I would use this to lead into grabs or tilts and combo from there.
Tilts felt very similar to both Pichu and Pikachu, obviously there was more range than Pichu.
His Up+B hasn't changed much from the Melee Pikachu, still has the two-way shot and about the same amount of range. It might be a little quicker, though, but I'm used to Pichu's. Also, I had a hard time controlling it because the controllers were very sensitive. I don't remember very clearly, but I think I pulled off the Quick Attack Dash (Up+B off the ground straight across).

FINAL SMASH: Volt Tackle
People could not use this thing effectively, I really had to show them its potential. Neal was behind me when I got the Smash Ball and said something about how Pikachu's FS sucked. Then I proceeded to combo HugS to 300% and KO him.
Everyone liked when I used this, because I did slight movement on the analog stick to keep my opponent trapped inside and built up huge damage. Then you drive them off the stage and hit the attack button to zap a powerful charge and KO them.

His taunts are fun.
The first one I did was a kind of Pichu taunt where he rolls around on the ground. He doesn't say anything, just kind of spins.
The second one is where he charges an electrical aura around him and then it kind of fizzles out, a remnant of his Pichu days in Melee.
And of course, he immitates his older brother by waving and says "Pika Pika" --you're a real Pikachu now, Pichu! :grin:

I didn't cover everything, so: Questions?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
thank you! I've been waiting for someone to give an in-deph review for pikachu! pretty much everyone seemed to be avoiding pikachu like the plauge.

pretty intresting actually. something tells me pikachu stole peach's downsmash ;D and its nice to know they combined both the advantages of pichu and pikachu into one. *sniff* our pichu is.....*sniff* all grown up ;_;

also, I want to know if his foward smash was really buffed up, since it looks a lot stronger in the new screenshots

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
thats nice.....it would be cool if in Subspace you see Pichu and after a cutscene battle it evolves into Pikachu.... XD

Fawriel

Smash Master
Oooo... Pichu evolved into Pikachu... I like that! I wanna know everything!
So Pika can combo now? Are his smashes still killers, are his strong aerials actually strong now... and what about the grab range?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Are his grabs all the same and how big is he now? He looks smaller than Melee Pika from the vids.

And was there a heart tail Pika custom ( female Pika)?

But yea, this pissed me off! No ones given Pika any love. . . probly cause all his B moves stayed the same.

IllidR

Smash Champion
I've got a question. As I've seen videos with Pikachu's Final Smash, Volt Tackle, it seems as if he is granted full maneuverability to go anywhere he pleases, including through platforms and even stages. And with what Sakurai said that Pikachu can be dumped from his Final Smash with his finish, what happens if Pikachu is inside of a main platform when it gives out? Does he plummet to his death? Is he forced out beforehand? If you could clear this up in anyway that'd be awesome.

Wence

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the info tommy! I am also curious about his up smash and also if you think he can combo good.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I saw a couple of Pika's costumes.

Pichu's goggles
(Emerald) Brendan's bandana

If there was any others, let me know. ($5 says Pika has a Lucas hat. :p )
Since he has the Red hat that's a sucker bet...

You owe me 5 bucks.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Tail spike is still in. Somebody in the Pikachu Discussion thread confirmed that. Possibly harder to do, but still in.

So, if Pichu evolved into Pikachu (shudder), does that mean Pikachu evolved into Raichu? And Jigglypuff evolved into Wigglytuff? And Mewtwo evolved into... Mewtwo?? When will the madness end? :psycho:
More importantly, does that mean you will be able to... forgive Pichu?

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
More importantly, does that mean you will be able to... forgive Pichu?
That is the million dollar question. So long as he doesn't cut himself like he did in his pre-evolution days, and is capable of the same butt-kickery as his predecessor, I believe something can be arranged. Otherwise, I'll just live in constant state of self-loathing.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
I hope its Pichu evolved, then that means no Pichu for Brawl!

....right?

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed that it seems his Fsmash is now reminescent of Pichu as well. Meaning, multi-hit and low knockback until the last hit, when it just hurls you like crazy. This is purely from watching vids, much as I wanted to I was unable to attend E4A.

Is this true, or am I seeing things?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Nice to hear pika has some fighting potential. It's been a long road since Pika lost his spot as one of the top tiers in Smash 64. Maybe now he might have a shot to at least get out of a low tier position.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Lets just all hope that Pika will go back to his OG fighting potentials.

I'd love to use Pika again.

Don't we all...?

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
It is nice to see Pika to finally have some potential. All he needs is whatever abilities he had in SSB64 to transfer to Brawl and I'll be as happy as ever! PIKA WILL PREVAIL!

T0MMY

Smash Master
I knew I forgot some stuff, so thanks to you guys with some good questions... I'll answer them:

also, I want to know if his foward smash was really buffed up, since it looks a lot stronger in the new screenshots
You have to remember, I main Pichu in Melee, so I'm not a good judge on how Pikachu's F-Smash changed. But, it felt like it was nerfed a bit, I'm not saying it was bad at all. I think it might have a bit more range, but didn't hit as hard. Keep in mind, everyone seemed harder to kill in Brawl compared to Melee, so it could keep the knockback ratio, but the new mechanics may make it feel nerfed. It's still good to use for a KO.

Is Pikachu's Up Smash still effective?
Yes. It also feels nerfed, but again, the mechanics of Brawl is different. Either way, it doesn't feel as powerful, but I was still using it for KOs, especially when I was on an upper platform and/or on a stage with a shorter ceiling.

You totally forgot neutral air dood. Still badass?
Ah, yes, the N-air. It feels about the same as Melee. Though, I might have been used to Pichu's N-air, which I think might have more priority. I got hit out of Sonic's spin attack thing where he turns into a ball, I thought I could just N-air through it. Obviously Pichu has lost a little priority in his attacks after he got to be a fatter Pikachu, or maybe Sonic is just that broken. Hah.

Oooo... Pichu evolved into Pikachu... I like that! I wanna know everything!
So Pika can combo now? Are his smashes still killers, are his strong aerials actually strong now... and what about the grab range?
Can Pika combo? Let me tell you right now I was destroying everyone thanks to Pika's combos. However, I think it's just because Pikachu played very similarly to Pichu, I'd go in for all my usual Pichu combos like U-tilt to grab, to Up/Down throw, to F-air, to U-air, to D-air. I was owning everyone... that's when I realized that 1)everyone else probably just sucked :laugh:, and 2)Pichu evolved to Pikachu. j/j about everyone sucking, they were just playing characters they weren't familiar with... I guess an actual first benefit of playing Pichu in Melee...

Are his grabs all the same and how big is he now? He looks smaller than Melee Pika from the vids.

And was there a heart tail Pika custom ( female Pika)?
I think his grab range is actually improved now. I had little trouble grabbing people. But, keep in mind, I'm used to that garbage joke-character, Pichu, in Melee, who had nothing good going for him. haha!
And, no, there was no female Pika costume.

I've got a question. As I've seen videos with Pikachu's Final Smash, Volt Tackle, it seems as if he is granted full maneuverability to go anywhere he pleases, including through platforms and even stages. And with what Sakurai said that Pikachu can be dumped from his Final Smash with his finish, what happens if Pikachu is inside of a main platform when it gives out? Does he plummet to his death? Is he forced out beforehand? If you could clear this up in anyway that'd be awesome.
You can fly around the area as you please while in Volt Tackle form (Volt Tackle is actually Pichu's attack)--you can even go through platforms AND stages! However, I lost my Brawl tourney match because of stupid Skyworld (I HATE THAT STAGE!). I had already figured out you could go through the stage, so, after KO'ing my opponent I Volt Tackled, knocked him around in my death combo of electrical death, and forced him off the stage to the very bottom. I tried going back up through the stage and found out you could not go through more solid parts of the stage... I was stuck at the bottom of chasm-death unhappiness when my Volt Tackle terminated, and I went into free-fall animation where I could not jump. My opponent randomly was knocked to the edge and decided just to stay in edgehog position while I fell to my death and everyone cried. However, I played it tricky and pulled out my Agility to recover, I made it all the way from the bottom to the edge, but my opponent was just watching and didn't go back up to the stage, so I died :urg:

I saw a couple of Pika's costumes.

Pichu's goggles
(Emerald) Brendan's bandana

If there was any others, let me know. ($5 says Pika has a Lucas hat. :p )
Pika's costumes:
Pichu Goggles
Green Bandana
Ash's Hat
I think there was more, but I don't remember... maybe there was only four? He got ripped-off if that's the case, other characters had like 6 costumes.

So, if Pichu evolved into Pikachu (shudder), does that mean Pikachu evolved into Raichu? And Jigglypuff evolved into Wigglytuff? And Mewtwo evolved into... Mewtwo?? When will the madness end? :psycho:
One can only hope.

No one who went mentioned his Standard A rapid headbutts... do they cancel quick? If so that would make them better to use.
Instead of the situational uses it has now...
The rapid A attack is decent, I didn't really use it much. You can hold the attack button down and do an infinite headbutt.

haha an evolved pichu, thats actually a pretty clever little way to explain the changes haha i like it XD good stuff
Bowswer's evolved form is too good. Giga Bowser=Pikachu.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Since Pichu is the one who gets Volt Tackle through breeding, then I guess Pika's Final Smash supports the Evolution Theory. :)

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
NIce to hear this form pikachu!!

A lot of people played him in melee but sdadly when thinks turned really scary, poor pikachu coudnt handle the big guys.

Now i hope this will be a new beggining for the little pichu lol, Ill looking for him to be a great pikachu!.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Hmm, would this mean that Pikachu might be able to wall jump in this game? I mean, it was weird he couldnt in Melee, he looks limber and agile enough for it. And since it looks like our little wall jumping Pichu evolved...

teh_w0lf

Smash Cadet
soooo...hes got goggles, ashs hat, a bandana...BUT NO WIZARD HAT!!?!?!?!?!...WITHOUT IT I CANT CAST LIGHTNING LVL 1,000,000!!!!

props to anyone who catches the reference

Rocketspark

Smash Cadet
It's cool to hear Pikachu's a good character in Brawl.
I've been a Pikachu user since the first day of Smash and all the way through Melee.
He didn't really seem that bad to me in Melee, so I'm guessing I'll pwn with him in Brawl.
:)
And even if I don't, I have PT or KingDedede to fall back on and try out.
His new alternate costumes sound cool as well. I'll probably use the Green Bandana and abondon the Red cap.
Also, can you easily change direction with his FS?
It looked cool in a video I saw, but either the kid playing sucked or it was really hard to control.

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
soooo...hes got goggles, ashs hat, a bandana...BUT NO WIZARD HAT!!?!?!?!?!...WITHOUT IT I CANT CAST LIGHTNING LVL 1,000,000!!!!
props to anyone who catches the reference
It's from "would an idiot do this", falcon vs pika on corneria, but i don't really remember the name of the crew that got famous for funny commentaries and gameplays like that :laugh:
Anyway, I really hope there will be Raichu for brawl. It would just be sooo coool.

Top Bottom