• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moonwalkin' Mewtwo - NOW WITH MORE FIBER! (and a tutorial vid)

quak

Smash Champion
So i hear some talk about mewtwo's moonwalk, and I'd just like to share some techniques of mine cause they're awesome.

1. Standard moonwalk

Don't know how to do it? Watch this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wDiQ0qJd1p4

it's a vid for captain falcon done by zhu, study it

Alright, so some possible uses are as follows:
  • spacing
  • pulling off a tricky grab
  • making ur approach mindgames-y
  • intercepting an approach mindgames-ily

And that's about it, but if you do a.....​

2. Charleston

things start to look cool.

To do a Charleston, first you moonwalk, then you dash forward again. So instead of the mini half circle thing and then holding, you do the half circle, and then hold forward, or even forward and down a little. What this does is it makes ur dash go REALLY REALLY SLOW.

Applications:
  • GETTING A DASH ATTACK IN
  • impressing ur friends
  • the quak taunt (*DIBS*)

From my experience: the odds of you landing a dash attack with a Charleston skyrockets. And it adds an option to mewtwo's approchal techniques.

And the quak taunt, obviously, im claiming this taunt as my taunt cause it's ********, and no one else will contest me because of that. :p Basically, what i do to pull this off is just Charlestoning, and then i let my control go back to neutral. What the desired effect is, is that mewtwo will do a little spin in place (cause that's his stopping animation)

Remember the dibs protocol, it's standard

So that's all you can do with the moonwalk right? Nope.

3. The Boost

Is there already a name for this?

The boost is performed thusly: first you Charleston, then you hold the opposite direction instead of holding forward. So broken down you do the mini half circle, then you input a dash forward, then you hold backwards to turn around.

Desired effect, it gives you a boost of speed that lasts you about a little less than half of FD

Now while ur saying in ur head "wtf? i can just wavedash" remember two things, one, mewtwo needs to be unpredictable, and two, this looks ****in rad.

Yes, it feels incredibly awkward at first, and the spacing is tricky, but give it time, cause i have made it work successfully for me

Usually, I'll boost, and d-tilt or uptilt or sometimes dash attack (works, but not as well). Cause what it looks like to your opponents is that mewtwo does some weird dashing ****, and then BAM! he's just ***** there.​

Hope this livens up the boards a little, i have more experimenting to do with it.

And if you want to crap on how useless my thread is then UP YOURS! I already know it :p But moonwalking and etc is really fun for me. (Does it show up at all in the thread?)

VIDEO!!

quak

Smash Champion
this is the ideal moonwalk

Blue represents the starting position
Red represents the contact of when ur joystick clicks against the side
Orange represents holding the joystick in that position

But this is how i first learned to moonwalk

then i learned the better way, maybe these diagrams help a little

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you should throw this onto your guide, or make it a sub-section or something. Props for finding some uses for his moonwalk. Maybe you should record yourself doing all this dash attack stuff, 'cause honestly, I'v never seen Mewtwo do it. If it's in your matches, then I probably didn't recognize it. And btw, how does the slow dashing(I heard it's called sticky-walking? Correct me if I'm wrong.) give you a better chance of hitting with a dash attack? Wouldn't it just make it easier for them to see it coming?

quak

Smash Champion
it may be called sticky walking i don't know, i just like calling it the Charleston better

and no, it really does make it connect more, logically it doesn't make sense, but if you think about it more, when opponents see a dash attack, they shield grab most of the time, and the dash attack pops em in the face

course you can't go around spamming this just like anything with mewtwo

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
quak... u gotta show vids

lavagolem: pdiz moonwalks like second nature. havnt seen taj, but i would assume this is also cake for him.
pdiz: u got more vids? =]

an advise from me. if you dano what moonwalk looks like, dash dance with mewtwo quickly. when ur hand starts to get tired and u loose ur precision in imputing left and right. you will find urself moonwalking/charlston-ing lots. next step is to obtain better control.

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if I wasn't too clear before, I have seen M2 moonwalk, I've just never seen him do the sticky-walk->dash attack. Like Quak said, logically it doesn't make sense...I'ma go try this out.

quak

Smash Champion
k, i'll make a vid, the boost is the main new thing i saw, it's a minor boost, and it doesn't have many uses except for being deceptive

when you charleston to dash attack, it looks dumb by itself, but when you test it in a match it usually works

basicly, IMO, moonwalking is only valuable to mewtwo because it's tricky and deceptive, no real movement advanatages, just a differant way of doing it

EDIT: workin on vid, since i have nothing much to do today, i should post it sometime in the evening, depending on whether or not i have ppl over, could be later

_Keno_

Smash Lord
ohh, the diagrams helped a lot, i can semi do it now, just need an hour or two of practice

Edit: and yeah, vids would be appreciated.

Fabulous

Smash Cadet
Suuuup. I like mewtwo's moonwalk, this is my favorite way to use it:
Moonwalk when the opponent is on the ground, behind you, his moonwalk is rather slow, so the person should have time to react, usually thinking this "Is this ***** moonwalking?? imma jc grab is ***" then, just as your moonwalk is ending, they are running toward you to jc grab you, and you hold the joystic in the direction of your moonwalk, after the moonwalk is finished, turning you around at the endpoint of the moonwalk, now you proceed to instantly down + b, and disable them. I've used it many times and its awesome, when the person coming, but chooses not to grab, but rather a shffled arial, the down + b should knock them out of the air. just be sure your timing is precise and you can connect this.

quak

Smash Champion
k, the vids done, just working on uploading it to youtube

hang tight, it should be done within an hour hopefully

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this stuff really isn't easy for me. I suppose I just need to practice more.
It looks amazingly sexy though, especially the boost.
The hardest part is trying to control the direction of my thumb without using the edge of the octagon.
Oh well, back to practicing! :teeth:

quak

Smash Champion
i dunno, it might be a new discovery cause i can't really notice it with other characters that moonwalk

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
The faster you do it (get from center to orange dot) , the better the results.

Nice tricks on Mewtwo moonwalks ! Boost is my fav.

quak

Smash Champion
i feel like i wanna call it something like "the super awesome boost of super awesomeness" just cause everything else around here has a fancy abbreviation

Everyone cool with SABOSA?

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
M2dash or Mdash were ones I were thinking of. Boost works I guess. (but toooo genericc arg)

quak

Smash Champion
true....

lemme think about it for a sec...

maybe something along the lines of moonboosting, or sticky boosting? since it's like those already made techniques cept with more steps on em?

quak

Smash Champion
oh man, WHAT A NERD :p

i like sticky boosting the best, cause that's what it looks like, you dash and stuff in place, then you just boost, plus you stickywalk first

As finder of this.... thing, with my naming rights, i dub it sticky boosting

shove that in ur thread airo and smoke it

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
"making ur approach mindgames-y
intercepting an approach mindgames-ily "

haha i just read this, awesome
Anyway, I don't care what you name it, I'm currently in the Kirby playing phase x.x

quak

Smash Champion
yeah, i know, i didn't know if it was an entirely new thing so i just said a generic name, but im not gonna fix it though, maybe i'll just edit some of the video info...

PDRK

Smash Rookie
Nice Vid quake, I didn't know there was more to moonwalking with M2. BTW, Make sure your controller is suited for this type of game (moonwalking). My best Controller can't be used for moonwalking at all XD I had to use my old one.

Pdiz

Smash Apprentice
quak... u gotta show vids

lavagolem: pdiz moonwalks like second nature. havnt seen taj, but i would assume this is also cake for him.
pdiz: u got more vids? =]

Wo, late reply... but thanks, haha. I've actually developed a pretty cool technique for wavedashing with mewtwo. Ummm... I guess I could make a vid, but it'd be done ghetto style with a camera recording the tv, haha.
But anyways, the way I do my moonwalk is wavedash forward, then as I'm wavedashing I turn mewtwo around by rolling the controller back, then proceed to do the standard moonwalk input by rolling the control forward again. It's basically a wavedash and moonwalk combined. There's also the head bob, moonwalk cancel thing, but I got that from Taj.

I'll try and cook up a video sometime soon and post it.

Top Bottom