• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unbanning the Wobbles

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
The Smash Back Room recently had an open vote on whether to ban the Wobbles from tournaments. Members were asked to vote one of the following ways:

Ban
Could Ban
Don't Ban

The winner of the poll was "Don't Ban" with 17 of the 23 votes. "Could Ban" was second with 4, and "Ban" received only 2 votes.

The Smash Back Room is comprised of respected players and tournament hosts throughout the world. While their opinion is not official in any way, the members hold debates about every subject affecting the Smash tournament community. The vote follows pages of debates over several months in which results from any number of tournaments were used to argue both ways. The end result is what you see above.

While tournament directors are free to run tournaments the way they choose, the Smash Back Room's primary goal is to produce guidelines for running tournaments in the fairest way possible. You are welcome to ban the Wobbles at your own tournaments, but do so knowing that the most respected members of the community disagree with your decision.

That is all :).

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
I don't think someone should be baned from tournies just because he figured out a cheap instant kill in the game. The guy might have feelings or something.

But seriously, this is good. I, personaly, don't think it should be banned.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I agree it shouldn't be banned, but I personally don't wobble. I just feel it's way too anti-competitive.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Syko - Wobbles (aka Rob) isn't being banned, it's the technique called Wobbling. lol

I really don't care one way or another. But if a tournament allows it, I do it. I don't care if it happens to be banned though, and that's why I stay practiced on regular CGs and rarely Wobble in friendlies.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Ive never heard of wobbles not being an IC player. Could someone explain what it is?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Syko - Wobbles (aka Rob) isn't being banned, it's the technique called Wobbling. lol

I really don't care one way or another. But if a tournament allows it, I do it. I don't care if it happens to be banned though, and that's why I stay practiced on regular CGs and rarely Wobble in friendlies.
zhu would like to say otherwise lol.

..never wobble in friendlies! i hardly even cg =\

Ive never heard of wobbles not being an IC player. Could someone explain what it is?
it's a nickname for the grab infinite

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Thank, Neal! This thread is great fun to rub in nothern Utah's tournament hosts' faces. Even though they still ban wobbling, I think it's fun to say: "Well, if you need the handicap..."

I don't even wobble that much... usually just in friendlies, or in matches that I know that I have no chances of winning in.

PB&J

Smash Hero
thank you for putting this up..i was just telling my fellow ga smashers that most poeple don't care to ban it..now i need to practice it again

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Fun fact: I'm in the Back Room. Guess which way I voted?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say ...Don't ban. lol

Haha, yeah I know. It was sarcasm.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
wobbling sucks lol. sometimes i feel like playing ice climbers just to wobble other ice climbers.

i guess i'll go practi---oh wait i learned it in a minute about 6 months ago and i can still do it with my eyes closed.

lol i should stop johning but seriously, who the **** wobbles in friendlies >_> tournament i don't mind as much because everyone these days does stupid **** in tournies that may even be more frustrating than wobbles but please, DON'T WOBBLE IN FRIENLIDES GUYS! k xD

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I knew most of the smarter, more veterened people would share the same opinion, though I doubt this decision will affect many-o-staunch minds that have already banned it in the past. Is it possible to post the list of ppl who voted, and which way they voted? If not, then at least just the list. Just so everyone knows: I don't wobble, ever, but it shouldn't be banned. IC's are getting worse, IMO, as ppl are learning to counter them. I think they should move down a spot or two on the tiers, actually. But who cares. Point is, ppl who think it should be banned: Take this as a hint! That's all, peace...

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
i really think wobbling is an imoral technique, but never thinked that need to be banned

that's nice the technique is legal in the eyes of smashboards comunit, not entire comunit, but the bk roomers

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Immoral, lol. Applying morality to a video game is very silly.
Unless that game is BioShock o_O

On topic, I agree with this decision. People already avoid getting grabbed by ICs at all costs anyway, so making the consequences worse for failing to do that doesn't really break the character.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
Wobbling is fine. It's already so annoying to get grabbed by Ice Climbers, and as ganondorf it's still annoying to get chaingrabbed by a single IC. x.x

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
What happened to Ice Climber players that ***** without the wobble? I miss those guys.
There is only one Ice Climber player that ***** with the infinite: Wobbles himself. And he doesn't even need it to do well. Chu plays even better when he's not trying to do the infinite. There is no other IC player that can **** with the wobble, and I know this because of tournament placings. Trail doesn't even grab too much. Besides those three, there aren't any other IC players who are nationally acclaimed.

So how can you miss IC players that **** without wobbling when they are all still here, and there is only ONE IC player that ***** with the wobble?

Binx

Smash Master
I have been trying to learn to wobble, but seriously if they are anyone but Marth or Peach a grab wrecks them anyways, and if it is anyone that a grab doesnt wreck your Fsmash does.

siresword

Smash Cadet
Thank, Neal! This thread is great fun to rub in nothern Utah's tournament hosts' faces. Even though they still ban wobbling, I think it's fun to say: "Well, if you need the handicap..."

thats a good thing to say :)

honestly, i think wobbling is overrated because people are always complaining about it, and people are already afraid of getting grabbed by IC's. banning wobbling isn't banning the IC's greatest technique at all and people should be afraid of other IC techs

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I've always favored allowing wobbling, so I'm glad to hear this. I wrote a somewhat long pro-wobbling argument at another forum a while ago, but I didn't post it here, since I figured wobbling had already been debated to death, lol.

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
I'm perfectly fine with wobbling as long as the player doing it admits to sacrificing honor, respect, and skill in return.

You can't have it all, cheapheads, either play to win or play for respect.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
If it's someone who can beat me regularly then I won't care.

It's the ****faces who beat me, then boast about how they are better than me because they wobbled.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord

either play to win or play for respect.
thats ********, what you're saying is that theres a certain line of how hard you can try to win, after you cross that you're no longer playing for respect. but the problem with this logic is this line is always going to be completely arbitrary.

for one player playing for respect means using every move at your disposal except for wobbling, but for another player it means not using any of the stupid glitches that wern't even supposed to be in the game (l canceling, wavedashing, shorthopping) and for another player it means do whatever you want so long as you never camp (which you would then have to clearly define how long you can go without attacking to not be considered camping).

playing for respect or honor is a scrub mindset, it can only hold you back by limiting your experience and understanding of new techniques which you consider cheap and thus are beneath you

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
Im gonna pick up ICs just to wobble. watch me beat people i don't deserve to beat with 4 grabs. it'll be awesome.

just to clarify, im not against wobbles at all.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
i think that wobbling should legal in tournaments but you got to stop. like only give 30% to your opponent and can only do it once per life.
sorry if that did not make scince

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Wobbling just doesn't seem to be worth it. Everything you can do with a wobble can be done by chain-throwing, faster and with a larger margin for error.

cF=)

Smash Lord
This thread has no purpose. Before the vote, people could run a tournament the way they wanted, and now, after the vote, tourney hosts still won't care about a bunch of chosen/respected members giving their output to an entire community.

Wobbling turned action-packed matches into camping madness.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
This thread has no purpose. Before the vote, people could run a tournament the way they wanted, and now, after the vote, tourney hosts still won't care about a bunch of chosen/respected members giving their output to an entire community.

Wobbling turned action-packed matches into camping madness.
If that is what you believe go ahead, but I will say that everyone camped ICs before wobbling.

(LOL action packed matches with ICs)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Trail! I've been itching to play you for a long while :D I'm pretty sure the outcome will be me having 3rd or less best IC's.

I'm pretty happy though... lately I've gotten to play a lot of pros. It pretty much started at Evo South when I finally got to play Caveman, and after that I've had the opportunity to play with... almost all the best players in the country now. I'm a lucky guy. XD

Eggm

Smash Hero
Wobbling is no fun, people who go to tournaments for fun are just going to be disappointed, I hate the technique personally. I also think its the only technique in the game that could affect the outcome of a game and make the worse player win.

Top Bottom