• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashWiki: AUSTRALIA

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
LATEST WIKI UPDATES:
http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Australian_Smash_Circuit
www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Comrades_of_the_Kaydash

It so happens that people DO look at these, especially those outside the Smashboards Community who utilize the user friendly and descript nature of the wikis to learn more about what the community is like.

Go nuts and edit your own info if you will! I can't do too much :)

Note - Any bias or false information will be reported and the wikis are frequently checked by several moderators.

The Australian Smash Circuit is a dedicated, highly-dispersed and well-traveled smash community. The majority of smashers are predominantly located in the large cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth, and the Gold Coast.
Some of its well known resident smashers include Bringer of Death, CAOTIC, Shaz, and Kupo.

Upcoming Major Tournaments
- December 8th, 2007: Comrades of the Kaydash, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, QLD
- January 26th-27th 2008: Reloaded Festival 08, Wayville, Adelaide, SA
- 2008: The Secret Life of Smash, Melbourne CBD, VIC

Previous Major Tournaments
- July 2007: S3 Cubed, University of Technology Sydney, Ultimo, Sydney, NSW
- June 9th, 2007: Comrades 2, La Trobe University, Bundoora, Melbourne, VIC
- January 27th, 2007: Comrades of the Anfology, Lower Plenty, Melbourne, VIC
- July 1st, 2006: OHN5, University of Technology Sydney, Ultimo, Sydney, NSW
- December 10th, 2005: SEAT2, Moorabbin, Melbourne, VIC
- September 30th, 2005: SEAT, Moorabbin, Melbourne, VIC
- February 14th, 2005: @M, University of Melbourne, Carlton, Melbourne, VIC
- April, 2004: Eastern Invasion, Cannington, Perth, WA

History: Perth and the Beginning (2002-2004)
Driven by the thirst for greater levels of competition, Australian smashers have looked beyond the scope of their local friends - this search has led many to Smashboards, an online forum where players communicate with each other to establish gatherings in their region. For a couple of years after SSBM's PAL release, there was no solid concentration of players to construct a proper competitive tournament, with only a mere handful of players spread over all capital cities of Australia. However, by 2004 two distinct and tight-knit communities emerged in Perth and Melbourne. The Perth community at this point was viewed as the largest. Strengthen by their newly-found and existing friendships, they took the initiative to set up Australia's first National tournament (a National tournament is one that is attended by multiple interstate players), inviting Melbourne's "core four," Shaz, Kupo, Cella and SabreAnt to its city for some serious smash. A successful and productive attendance of a humble 12 marked the start of a consolidation of communities in several other regions.

History: The Dominance of Melbourne (2005)
2005 could be seen as the year that Melbourne really took off and established itself as a competitive 'Smash Central' for Australia - most if not all traveled Smashers have visited the city at some point for one of its tournaments. It's growth owes much to Nintendo's 'SuperChallenge Series,' held in late 2004, that drew several hundred gamers to compete in new release GameCube games in cinema locations throughout Melbourne. Many of Victoria's players players have a connection back to the SuperChallenge. After Melbourne's original crew of 4 visited Perth, they returned determined to host Australia's next National, with an added bonus. They planned and carried out amongst themselves a sponsorship plan to bring the most popular and (then) most highly skilled player, Captain Jack. Shaz and new SuperChallenge recruit CAOTIC spearheaded efforts to coordinate the event dubbed @M in early 2005. It was a marked success with interstate representation from three other states.

The success of @M and its advantageous position in the East Coast eventually saw Melbourne commit to more major tournaments with the creation of the SEAT series. These tournaments were originally intended to strengthen the local community, but due to organizational rigor and promotion, saw further interstate participation. During 2005, Shaz and Kupo made international ventures to the USA and Japan for an insight into international Smash culture. CAOTIC left for California in December and Bringer of Death took a trip to Sweden shortly afterwards.

History: The Rise of Sydney and Queensland (2006-2007)
Both originally quiet in Smash activity, Southern Queensland got its break in 2006 after 2 crews solidified through various tournaments directed by the Brisbane TECH Team and the Gold Coast Ward. Intense inter-city rivalries created by these two crews have allowed them to make up for lost time in skill and experience, which helped them to contend quite favorably for high placings in Comrades of the Anfology, in January 2007. Similar enthusiasm was met with the Sydney Smash Community which began to take off in 2007. A series of tournaments hosted by NSW ambassador Jaz and C0d3M0nk3y spearheaded Sydney's late growth and their talents were highlighted in Comrades 2, which featured a plethora of Smashers from the Oceanic region and SephirothKen as a special guest to Australia. Both communities in Sydney and Southern Queensland are now very active with a smasher base in comparable size to Melbourne's active community and they are both set to continue their growth in skill and numbers.

The Future
After Comrades 2, CAOTIC promised to relax directing National tournaments in favor of traveling to other interstate cities. Brisbane is due for its first National (hosted by Syke) in December 2007 and Adelaide (hosted by AVcon) in January 2008. The effect Super Smash Bros. Brawl will have on the existing communities is uncertain, however, it is anticipated the social and off-line aspect of the competitive culture will strengthen.

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
So it wouldn't let me add anything.
Or at least not in the boxes down the botttom where I wanted to add.
Woo, networking!

http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Tassie_Crew - And the Smashers listed in there.
http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Other_QLD_Smashers - Couldn't think of a better name/someone may be able to do better.
http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/BoO - Good times, good times.
http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/TECH_TEAM - "TECH TEAM is currently the best crew in Queensland. It has only lost 2 crew battles out of 6 with other Queensland crews." - No longer the case. Controversy! *dies*

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
You'll have to log in with your Smashboards account to make changes.

Just as a note - this is a constant work in progress so if you guys see anything irky, just post it here and I'll see what can be done.

And for the sake of political correctness, it would be more appropriate to say "TECH Team is one of the best crews in Queensland" - not the best. It's better to use that kind of wording in a situation where the statement being made is not unanimous in opinion.

2c

New wikis (thanks guys):

http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/TECH

http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Ward

King Kong

Smash Lord
King Kong is a smasher who mains DK, Fox, Sheik, and Yoshi. His philosophy is "low tier ownage", as he has several low tier main characters.

LOL. - makes me want to start using low tier again. Yoshi, Dk, Boozer and I might pick up Roy and Zelda again too :)

peace out

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
im missing from the aus smashers list q_q

and also Red X has a crew, cant remember all the members, but that makes 3 crews in aus
D:
rivalry

Blackadder

Smash Master
im missing from the aus smashers list q_q
that makes 3 crews in aus
I'm not on the list of Smashers either, but if your like me, you have not yet delved into the world of Tournies just yet, so I doubt we deserve to be on that list. Unless you ARE a tourny rat, in which case I suggest you add yourself.

With his comment on crews, I co-lead a crew called "Dawn Patrol"
No idea if any of you guys have heard of us, but we *gasp* are REAL crew.

Now, I was wondering. I'm the co-leader, as I said before, and I'm obviously Australian. Does this mean I could add the crew to the list Aust crews there?
We have a wiki page already, if that helps...
*Whimpers*

But yeah, may I add us? I'm hesitant in doing so, as I'm the only Australian member in it, but I am the co-leader. Just wondering.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i would add myself (im a ranbat rat and im prob gonna end up going inter-state stoon)
but the list of smashers is retrieved from some other location i dunno how to edit D:
its not that simple q_q

Dedu

Smash Lord
Sydney Smashers: I've put down your info as you guys hadn't even touched the Wiki site yet... I'm not sure if MeteorMaster and Teh Brown One are still involved smashwise.

If you feel something's wrong with your info, you have three options:
1. Fix up your own personal info on the wiki site. As in name changes, address changes, and even bank pin number infos. Not to mention personal life dtls like whether you have a gf or if you moved out of home.
2. Complain about it.
3. Do nothing at all.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Okay guys, I've added my Smash crew to the Australian Smash circut template thingy. I was hesitant in doing this, and if anyone thinks it shoulden't be there, just follow the 3 rules posted above me on what to do! :laugh:

snes101

Smash Apprentice
Removed myself from the list for the time being, due to not having lived in Australia for a while (lived in NZ since February). I'll be back, or not. >_>

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
LOL Fweddo, please feel free to put a better pic of yourself, then I can slap that one over Syke's abomination and whip up some sweet sweet wikisauce

Dedu

Smash Lord
Smaskwiki won't load. I get the following error:

A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "MediaWikiBagOStuff::_doquery". MySQL returned error "1194: Table 'sw_objectcache' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (localhost)".
Anything anyone can do? I run Mozilla Firefox and currently am using Windows XP service Pack 1.

freddo

Smash Journeyman
My profile is horrible. lol I'll find a better pic Cao. Actually, next monthly, do some profile pics for us. I don't really have any recent ones. I also won't be coming tonight, I'll be home late and need to get up early.

Sirias

Smash Champion
I want to make mine just have:
"SHEEEEEEEP!!!!!!"
:D

I think it's appropriate.
Being from NZ and everything, ya know.

Sirias

Smash Champion
Wow, just realised I'm having the same trouble as Dedu.
Must be Service Pack 1.
Better install SP 2... =/
*goes off and gets it*

Bjay

Smash Lord
Wow, just realised I'm having the same trouble as Dedu.
Must be Service Pack 1.
Better install SP 2... =/
*goes off and gets it*
I get that error too, every now and then, I don't have Service Pack 1 though :p Usually I'll just click Edit again or just use another browser. Well that's what worked for me, if that doesn't, then bleh. :(

EDIT - nvm it won't change nowwwwww. D:

Dedu

Smash Lord
For some reason today I decided to check Smashwiki. Presumably to edit my profile and *insert funny joke here* :p

BUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTT........................

The same error, seen yesterday cropped up again! Wiki must be having a field day trying to destroy the Smash Wiki section! [/sarcasm]
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "MediaWikiBagOStuff::_doquery". MySQL returned error "1194: Table 'sw_objectcache' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (localhost)".
Sirias - LOL. At least I know someone out there doesn't use service pack two.

Wait.
This may indicate a bug in the software.
I just reread the error and that statement doesn't indicate a bug in 'WHAT' software! Is it the Internets that's bugged or is it Smash wiki or is it the server or is it my computer? Further enlightenment on this particular statement would be appreciated.

Top Bottom