• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ridley, other villains left dry?

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
With the revealing of Petey Pirahna and the concept of boss characters in the Subspace Emissary, I have a feeling that this might doom chances of enemy characters like Ridley and such from being playable. After all, since Ridley has always been a massive opponent, there'd be no need to resize him into a playable character to have him in the game anymore.

The same could indeed be done for Dedede, King K. Rool, and others...

this is both a cool concept for the Subspace Emissary and a bane for possible playable villain characters....

What do you all think?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No! Not Dedede!!!

Good though that my top fav isn't a villian!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If ANY boss is from the kirby series it should be Dark Matter...

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Petey =/= Ganon, Bowser, Ridley, Dedede

I don't agree. Petey was more of a minor boss compared to the others.

-Onyx

Hong

The Strongest
Actually, if any form of Ridley was a boss, it'd be Meta-Ridley as per Metroid games. Ridley is usually an intro boss. (Post NES) Thus, like Giga Bowser, Meta-Ridley would be an infinitely better boss having missiles and stuff.

King Dedede is actually 'weaker' than Kirby, and puts in all of his effort to keep up. (Learning how to float for example.) Though obviously he'd be brought up to par for balance reasons. Dark Matter, Marx, Lololo and Lalala, Kracko and many others would make much more viable boss choices. Especially since Marx and Lololo/Lalala appeared on the polls.

I don't care about King K. Rool. Someone who enjoys Donkey Kong Country, cover for me since I only beat DK 64. ):

Even so, what if you beat them in their regular forms as a boss, but then they became unlocked after winning?

Shuma

Smash Hero
I'm just going to quote my last posts concerning Ridley:

Also this doesn't confirm is Ridley is going to be playable or not, since probably Bowser and Ganondorf are playable.
Ridley has the same importance as Bowser and Ganondorf this doesn't confirm anything, we all knew Petey was doomed to not even be in the game, Sak surprised us, but still, not good enough to be a PC.

We all know Ridley has more potential and a bigger fanbase than Petey, the update of the bossess doesn't confirm anything.

And like i sayd, Bowser and Ganondorf will surely be bosses, and Bowser is playable, same with Ganondorf.
Bowser and Ganondorf will probably be end game bossess, Ridley is the Bowser/Ganondorf of the Metroid Franchise, while Petey is just one of the many bossess of the Mario games, and it's like a Waluigi with a bigger Fanbase.

Ridley on the other hand is popular has a lot more potential, and has a gigantic fanbase. Comparing him to Petey is something terrible to do. Also you forget there are many many Metroid Bossess that could fill the role of Adventure boss, even Meta Ridley wich was the "gigantic" Ridley.

Common Ridley was just twice the height of Samus.

Edit:

About King K. Rool, i would love to see him as a PC, but i don't really car, now he WAS huge, DK was the size of his feet.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Charizard and Bowser are playable characters. It isn't impossible to make Ridley smaller for the roster like everyone says. You ever play Sunshine? Bowser is HUGE!

Not to mention they can use a character like Kraid for a boss instead of Ridley. Which would make everyone happy.

King Dedede deserves to be in Brawl as well. We have Dark Matter as a boss, and Dedede as a playable character. There's too many swords, WE NEED MORE MALLETS!

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
This however does not confirm that all boss-like enemies one fights in adventure mode are for sure non-playable, Ridley could still be a boss and still be playable (I hope). it's simply unreasonable to jump strait to the worst conclusions

Shuma

Smash Hero
Since it seems no one reads my post i'm going to resume it in 2 words:

Bowser Ganondorf.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, as if comparing Ridley to Petey is some sort of crime. You need to chill out.

The only comparison is the SIZE.

hasn't Ridley always been very, very big??

It isn't impossible to make Ridley smaller for the roster like everyone says. You ever play Sunshine? Bowser is HUGE!
But in mario RPG, New Super Mario Bros. and Mario & Luigi, Bowser isn't that huge. Bowser's size has ballooned up and down throughout the series of games since the first.

This however does not confirm that all boss-like enemies one fights in adventure mode are for sure non-playable, Ridley could still be a boss and still be playable (I hope). it's simply unreasonable to jump strait to the worst conclusions
True, but it's also naive to not take them into serious account.

The possibility is still there.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
take a look at Sakurai's poll, Ridley was clearly far more popular than Petey. also, Ditty got in, with 4 recommendations, the same number as Ridley, It seems Sakurai is taking this poll into serious consideration, how lame could brawl possibly feel if Ridley was allowed into brawl simply as a boss? Japanese people may be crazy, but they're not stupid. Ridley is still quite a likely addition in my book.

Shuma

Smash Hero
hasn't Ridley always been very, very big??
Nope, only on the Metroid Prime games, on Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion he's 2 times bigger than Samus, in Zero Mission he's 3 times(not THAT big) and in Prime he's like 10 times bigger, same with Prime 3.

And we all know Sakurai is following the 2d Metroid Games, not the Prime Games, seeing that there's Zero Suit Samus and Samus's Suit is the one from Metroid Zero Mission.

The possibility is there, it's true, but i don't think it's lilkely.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
*sigh* at least some folks are giving educated reasons to why ridley is still safe instead of just spouting "god petey and ridley are incomparable by any means, stupid"

Nope, only on the Metroid Prime games, on Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion he's 2 times bigger than Samus, in Zero Mission he's 3 times(not THAT big) and in Prime he's like 10 times bigger, same with Prime 3.
Even twice as large is pretty $%&#ing big.

Shuma

Smash Hero
No it's not, that would make him around 3.50 meters tall, i do believe Bowser is even taller, also, Bowser has been bigger than Ridley on all the canon games(mario land/world/sunshine/64).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, for Dedede in the least...

Dedede isn't evil...If he attacks it's usually for the best interest of Dreamland or because Dark Matter possess him

LemonManX

Smash Lord
This was a concern of mine but I think they could easily make Meta-Ridley a boss (much like Giga Bowser was) and still have regular Ridley as a playable character.

The Donkey Kong franchise now has two seperate characters, so I think Metroid is more than worthy of also having two seperate characters (Zamus shouldn't count, since it looks like she's one with Samus) and Ridley is the best choice.

As others have said, he was resized in the Melee intro to be smaller. And now that Charizard is in there it can't be said that flying dragon-ish characters can't be done.

I believe they can make Ridley work and if they leave him as just a boss character I'll be pretty sad about it. Sakurai can work Ridley into a character surely.

Caael

Smash Lord
So what, you've just told us that the major villains from all the series that aren't Mario are going to be bosses in single player mode?

Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

Ridley's just a wee bit bigger

Samus is half his size. That's about the size between Bowser and Mario in most games where you fight him.

Again, Dedede is double Kirby's size

Oh look, it's Bowser and Mario. Boswer is actually more than double Mario's size, as that's super Mario, not normal mario

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
They better not touch King DeDeDe! He is like one of my favorite nintendo baddies. Although I think Ridly does have a better chance of being a character then a boss, you never know and thats what scares me D:!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dedede being twice Kirby's size still isn't very big...

what...he's like 3 feet tall max maybe

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Dedede being twice Kirby's size still isn't very big...

what...he's like 3 feet tall max maybe
You know i think it would be a better idea for them to use Kracko, the big cloud with one eye, as a boss then DeDeDe. It would make mores sense really.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Put it this way if Ridley isn't a PC, chaos will rule the earth and the fall of civilization will begin.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know i think it would be a better idea for them to use Kracko, the big cloud with one eye, as a boss then DeDeDe. It would make mores sense really.
NO, Dark Matter

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Did you just put Petey with same level with DeDeDe and Ridley???

what a sick comparison.
I think he did, see Jesus there is something wrong with the boy. If Ridley or Dedede aren't playable but someone like Waluigi is then i'm going postal.

blahisuck

Smash Cadet
Petey had 1 mention on Sakurai's poll. DeDeDe had 5, which was higher than Diddy and Ike, Ridley had 4 and K. Rool had 2. Sakurai should know what to do.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
No, Kraid will be the Petey-style boss from Metroid.
And Whispy Woods and Nightmare for Kirby.
So we still have Ridley and DDD playable!

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Uh oh. Did I hear someone use the "Ridley is too big for Brawl" argument?

It's suprisingly easy to shrink down Ridley without having it look goofy. He's fierce enough that he's still scary even when he's only marginally bigger than Samus.

As for single-player bosses, my money's on Kraid or Mother Brain, not Ridley (well, you'll probably still fight Ridley, but as an opposing character, not NPC-boss). I mean, think about it. Samus in Brawl still has horizontally-firing missiles and a charge beam in Brawl! Sakurai could easily make an exact duplicate of the Mother Brain or Kraid fights from Super Metroid if he wanted to.

Top Bottom