• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG's Super Champ Combo (Sept 29-30) STOP POSTING HERE, SEE RESULTS FORUM THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
MLG PRESENTS: SUPER CHAMP COMBO
San Bernardino, CA
September 29-30, 2007

DAY 1 RESULTS
Singles round 1: http://tia.nealpro.com/event.aspx?id=543
Doubles: http://tia.nealpro.com/event.aspx?id=544
Singles round 2: http://tia.nealpro.com/event.aspx?id=551

Find your name and click on it. Then scroll down.

NEAL'S PHONE NUMBER
805 215 8588

POST YOUR MLG ACCOUNT NAMES!
You MUST post your MLG account name and the name you'd like to enter the tournament as if you want to be seeded properly. Anyone who does not do this runs the risk of being in the same pool as their friends. Please also post information for your team (team name and partner) if you have a doubles pass. Thanks!

i. Updates
September 21: minor rule changes; more raffle prizes. Added info for spectators.
August 30: added information on pools; added VIP list; updated raffle prizes & added section on the Arcade.
August 12: updated equipment list.
August 7: added more specifics to Rules; added daily schedule; added raffle info

Recently updated sections in green.

I. WHAT IS A CHAMP COMBO?
You should already know.

II. WHAT IS A SUPER CHAMP COMBO?
It should be obvious.

The MLG Grassroots Circuit comes to California for Super Champ Combo, the sequel to one of 2006's biggest west coast tournaments! This two-day event will be held at one of southern California's most popular Smash venues and will feature pool play for singles and doubles and, in the spirit of Champ Combo, a sub-regional crew battle (NorCal vs. SoCal II, or perhaps CA vs AZ). Housing will be provided at the venue, and food will be available throughout both days. This will be a tournament no one wants to miss!

III. WHEN/WHERE?
September 29th & 30th, 2007
Doors will open daily at 8:30 AM. Events will start at 10:00 AM.
Full schedule to be announced.

Address:
2900 North E. Street
San Bernardino, CA 92405

The venue is a gym attached to a church. Interested players will be able to stay overnight in the gym. More details will be released later.

IV. MONEY ISSUES
Registration will be handled through www.mlgpro.com and will be mandatory. You can register here. WALK-IN REGISTRATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. YOU MUST REGISTER AND PAY ONLINE AT THE MLG WEB SITE.

Entry fees:
Venu fee: $2 (must be paid by anyone entering the venue; will be charged the day of the tournament)
Singles: $20
Teams: $25 per team ($12.50 per person)

Payouts:
1st: 60% of pot
2nd: 30% of pot
3rd: 10% of pot

These are subject to adjustment, possibly extending payouts to 4th place if attendance is high enough.

Spectators
Anyone who spectates will have to pay a $5 in place of the venue fee. And they should not expect the right to play friendlies anytime during the day. Staying overnight will probably be ok, but if the demand is high priority will absolutely go to the players. You may play friendlies during the morning and evening, but never when the tournament is actually going on. That's a right that you earn by entering the tournament.

Not trying to rip anyone off or anything, but the staff are putting a ton of effort towards running this event, and showing up but not entering puts a strain on our resources without contributing anything to the tournament itself (whereas a player contributes competition, atmosphere, etc.). It's kinda like crashing a party you weren't invited to.

Please encourage your spectating friends to respect me and the entrants who paid by not playing friendlies during the tournament.

V. EVENTS
Singles: two rounds of pools, followed by a bracket of undetermined size. First round will likely be 24 pools of 8 people, top 4 advancing; second round 16 pools of 6, top 2/3/4 advancing. Exact numbers will be posted when we have a clear idea of how many people are coming.
Doubles: one round of pools into a bracket. Number of pools and number of advancing teams will be determined when an attendee count is finalized.
Regional crews: exact format undecided, but likely either SoCal vs. NorCal or California vs The World.

VI. SCHEDULE
Saturday:
8:00AM - Doors open and checkin starts. Yes, I'm getting up ~6 for you people >_<.
10:00 - Registration closes, doubles pools start.
12:00PM - pizza ordered.
3:00 - doubles pools end, singles pools start.
? - singles pools end, day wraps up.

Sunday:
9:00AM - Doors open.
10:00 - second round of singles pools start.
12:00PM - pizza ordered
2:00: singles pools end, doubles bracket starts.
5:00: doubles bracket ends, singles bracket starts.
?: singles bracket ends, bye bye!

VII. RULES
General (apply to all events unless otherwise noted):
  • Items off.
  • Ties are broken by remaining lives, then %. If both criteria are tied, then the Sudden Death match will be played out.
  • First stage is random from the Neutral stages listed below.
  • Each player is allowed to reset the random stage once; this forces a new random stage to be picked. If the new stage has been previously reset by either player during the same set, that stage is reset again. (Random Stage Reset)
  • The loser of the first match will announce a new stage to play on for the next game. The winner will then be allowed to switch characters, followed by the loser. Apply the same logic for the third match (and fourth/fifth when applicable) if there is one. (Advanced Slob Picks)
  • No stage may be used twice in a single set if the counter-picking player has already won on that stage, unless the opponent agrees to use the stage again. (Dave's Stupid Rule)
  • Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime before the first game of a set starts, and only apply to the first game.
  • Each person (or team) may choose one counter-pick stage to be disabled for the entire set at the START OF THE SET, after characters have been chosen but before the random stage has been picked. You may not ban neutral stages.
  • Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
  • For doubles: Team Attack will be ON, life stealing allowed.
  • Wobbling is not banned.
Pools:
  • Pool matches are best 2 of 3, 3 stock.
  • 6 minute time limit.
  • All General rules apply to pool matches, including Advanced Slob Picks, Dave's Stupid Rule, Double Blind picks, and stage banning.
  • Your ranking within your pool will be determined by the number of sets you win. Individual games won will not be considered, except:
    • In the case of a tie, the tied players will be ranked in the following order:
      • Number of individual games won.
      • Number of individual games lost (fewer games gives a higher rank).
      • Head-to-head records.
      Please note that beating the player you're tied with in the pool is the last criteria considered. Do not complain if someone you beat advances and you do not.
  • To summarize: you are playing a full, bracket-style set for each of your pool matches, and will be ranked primarily on the number of sets you win.
Brackets:
  • Bracket matches are best 2 of 3, 4 stock.
  • 8 minute time limit.
  • Winners' bracket finals, losers' bracket finals, and championship sets are all best 3 of 5.
Stages:
  • Singles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Fountain of Dreams, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium
  • Singles counterpicks: all Singles Neutral stages plus Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64, Mute City, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria.
  • Doubles Neutral: Final Destination, Dream Land 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Kongo Jungle 64.
  • Doubles counterpicks: all Doubles Neutrals plus Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Green Greens, Corneria.
  • Things to note: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City are banned for doubles; Kongo Jungle 64 on Doubles Neutral.
Misc:
  • The Mages' DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a bracket match and it goes as follows:
    • 2 Minutes Late – Warning
    • 4 Minutes Late – Loss of first match of set
    • 6 Minutes Late – Loss of set
    This will be enforced judiciously.
  • Each player has 10 minutes to report to their pool after it has been called. Each pool will have a printed order to run matches; anyone who is not present for their match when it comes up in order will forfeit that match (if it has been 10 minutes since the pool started). This will also be strictly enforced. We will do the best we can to give estimates on when pools will start, but it is 100% your responsibility to make sure you're at your pool when it starts!
  • In the event an invalid rule setting is discovered: only the current game of the set will be replayed. If the setting is discovered between games, the last game will be replayed. Under no circumstances will an entire set be re-done because of a wrong rule setting. This goes for team attack, damage ratio, random stage, counterpick, and time limit settings.

VIII. TRAVEL INFORMATION
There are three airports you can use for Super Champ Combo:
  • LA-Ontario Airport (ONT): the closest airport to the venue, about 25 miles. It's off of Interstate 10, which is a major freeway in the Los Angeles area and a popular way for local players to get to the venue. There's a good chance someone will be able to pick you up from the airport on the way to the tournament. There's also a good number of Smashers who live in the area and might be able to offer housing.
  • John Wayne Airport (SNA): about an hour away, so I wouldn't fly here unless you've already worked out a ride. Again, there's a lot of smashers who live in the area, so you might be able to find housing from someone if you fly here.
  • Los Angeles International (LAX): kinda far, probably 90 minutes from the tournament. However, there is a train route that can take you to within 4 miles of the tournament. The route goes as follows:

IX. RAFFLE
The staff will be providing several small prizes to raffle off during the tournament. Everyone who attends will be given a raffle ticket for the following acts:
  • Entering an event (1 for singles, 1 for doubles)
  • Bringing a TV (2 tickets each)
  • Bringing a GameCube (1 ticket each)
  • Bringing a fan (2 tickets each; it's going to be hot :()
  • Bringing an extension cord/power strip (1 ticket total)
  • Correctly answering a random Smash-related trivia question when registering (example: name all the stages banned for singles; 1 ticket)
  • Housing an out-of-region player (all non-SoCal players, at my discretion) for Friday or Sunday night (3 tickets)
  • Travelling from out of region (based loosely on travel distance; up to 3 tickets)
  • Completing Champ Combo Arcade challenges (see below)
You will decide which prizes to put your tickets towards:
  • Wii Shop gift card ($20?)
  • iTunes gift card ($20?)
  • Super Champ Combo t-shirt signed by staff + winners
  • Mr. Happy massage from Isai (subject to Isai's approval).
  • Hug from HugS (females only?)
  • Taped 3 vs 1 match with the top 3 finishers (ex: you vs M2K + PC + Chu)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl pre-order
  • Neal's SSBM flag
  • Limited edition Legend of Zelda metal keychain
  • More?

Champ Combo Arcade: much like Evo World, we will have one or two TV's set up with video game challenges that people can complete to earn tickets throughout the tournament. Think of this as the equivalent of the rigged games you see at faires and amusement parks: slanted against you unless you know what you're doing. You'll get tickets for completing the following challenges:
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee: Home Run Contest score of over 3200 feet. Bonus tickets for using someone other than Ganon.
  • Mario Golf Toadstool Tour: hit a hole in one on Lakitu Valley hole #16.
  • Star Fox 64: earn a score of 180+ kills on Corneria on Normal mode.
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids: get a score of 110 ft+ on Bunnies Don't Know What to do With Cows (cow toss game).
  • Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess: score of 30,000+ on Plumm's flying river game (with the fruits).
  • Wii Sports: score of 4000+ ft on Wii Baseball Homerun Contest (8 home runs of 500 ft avg, or 9 home runs 450 ft avg).
  • Wii Sports: score of 200+ on a 10 frame round of Wii Bowling.
  • More?
The Arcade won't interfere with the normal running of the tournament, but its TV will be pulled if we need it to run tourney matches.

X. HOUSING
We are cleared to have people spend the night at the venue. Since it is a gym, however, anyone planning to stay will need to bring a sleeping bag and pad if you want to be comfortable. I will have a signup form for anyone who wants to spend the night in order to keep the number of slumberers under control.

XI. THE CHAMP COMBO LEGACY
Highlights from the Champ Combo tournaments:
  • Ken and Isai's first loss in a team set (to Taj and Forward of Arizona).
  • HugS getting ***** by Forward in singles and then johning that he needed to lose in order to be motivated for MLG Anaheim.
  • Champ showing up late to his own tournament.
  • ChuDat beating people in singles with one hand.
  • 100 people cramming into my house.
  • "ISAI AND DSF IN MY BEDROOM!"
How can Super Champ Combo go wrong with a history like that?

XII. EQUIPMENT
PLEASE HELP WITH EQUIPMENT! We will need many TVs and GameCubes to make this tournament a success. Please post if you can supply ANYTHING to help run the tournament better!

TVs
nealdt
nealdt
The Game II
NeighborhoodP
NeighborhoodP
JTB
the_judge
Edrees
AzN_Lep
AzN_Lep
Saint Patrick
J.Shadows
Mr. X
Thunderbolt
Sony
stryderhyru
Gea
Dodger

Possible
nealdt
JTB
$Sick
PsychoMidget

GameCubes
nealdt
TheZhuKeeper
The Game II
NeighborhoodP
Atlus8
JTB
JTB
$Sick
emerican
the_judge
Edrees
HydroKirby
Sony
Saint Patrick
J.Shadows
Lockain
Mr. X
PsychoMidget
Thunderbolt
Oreo/JetX smash bros.
stryderhyru
stryderhyru
Truegamer#1
Gea
Dodger

VCRs
nealdt
nealdt (built-in)
The Game II
AzN_Lep
stryderhyru (built-in)
Truegamer#1

Possible
Saint Patrick

Fans
nealdt
$Sick
Sony
The Game II
PsychoMidget
Thunderbolt
stryderhyru
stryderhyru

Power strips & extension cords
nealdt
nealdt
nealdt
JTB
the_judge
Sony
Lockain
PsychoMidget
Thunderbolt
stryderhyru
Gea

XIII. VIP LIST
Out-of-state players and other VIPs with a confirmed interest in coming:
PC Chris
Cort
Mew2King
Cactuar
Hayato
ChuDat
Plairnkk
Azen
Chillin
Silent Wolf
DJ Combo
Eggz
s-royal (Japan)
Ken
Champ (yes, THE Champ!)
Wobbles
Taj
HugS
Mango (Evo revenge?)

XIV. KEN COMBO
...is still garbage.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Luigis church is ****.

Sign me up for TV/Cube Neal :)

The King

Smash Ace
Hm. Count me in? Hell yeah.
Cali vs The World: The world doesn't stand a chance. This is our home turf. Nobody else stands a chance.

P.S.- Aww, was almost hoping it would be at your house again, Neal LOL. Too good. Gotta bring the Champ Combo Dog!

King Out

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I will look into comeing to this.

araknophobik

Smash Master
i was waiting for the day this thread would finally be posted
crazy ****, and only 5 min away?
looks like luigi and I wont get lost for 2hrs in the middle of the night on LA freeways and death briges like last years mlg =/

DAHKTERem

Smash Ace
Champ was late to his own tournament?

Well, that makes it 139 things I can make fun of him for.

KillaOR

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
Kila#697
My birthday is on the 30th, I might finally have something to do for my 21st birthday....

PandaX

Smash Lord
I can supply a gamecube and some ****.

F U neal, that was not even my john. LoL

I'll be there for sure. It was one of the best tournaments socal has ever seen. Glad to see it back.
lmfao

Too bad champ combo doesn't have history like Mike Y getting ***** by 2 Judgement Combos in one match.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
You're telling us 2 1/2 months in advance? It definately looks like people will have plenty of time to plan. This will probably be HUGE!!

SoCal Vs. Norcal?

DBR Vs. Deep Socal?

California Vs. The World?

Charoo

Smash Champion
Champ was late to his own tournament?

Well, that makes it 139 things I can make fun of him for.
Hey! I was there at 10:25AM!!! It started at 10:30AM!!!

Also, in case anyone was wondering, there is NO VENUE FEE!!! That have already been taken care off =)

Just need to register online.

P.S. Since I am not Neal, my word means nothing so don't quote me =_=

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
This will be my last SSBM tourney until Brawl, so I'm gonna create the ultimate call out list.

Almost every1 in the thread will be called out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom