• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Beginner Guidelines by Blue (If you are new, read now)

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I think we need something similar to the "stop being stupid" thread in the roy boards is why I made this.

I'm seeing too many beginners disregard the Q and A thread and ask such simple questions. We can't write every little thing out for you, you need to think on your own, but thats not to say we can't offer a helping hand to you. Just avoid a few select things and you'll do fine.

1. Do not make topics asking help with l-canceling and wavedashing, we can't talk to your fingers and make them work right...you just need to practice. General advice only goes so far, what you need for the most part is experience.

2. Use the search button, we don't need to be seeing the same topics or questions over and over. Especially like common match-ups like Marth vs Fox and whatnot. And if you need character specific advice, have a video of yourself to go by.

3. Be nice, if someone tells you that you are bad at a specific thing (perhaps abit harshly), they are probably right as you're still learning most things. Most people in the marth boards are generally nice about their advice but there are some who go about it slightly rough.

4. Think for a moment. If your topic is "When should I shffl and when should I stay on the ground" you really aren't thinking and just wanting people to spell out everything for you..which is impossible. You will learn with experience on what to do and what not to do. You will develop your "smash senses" soon enough.

5. Do not spam, you may have a low post count and want it up but do not spam idiotic posts. Theres a place for that, its called the roy boards.

6. Don't make a topic explaining how you stumbled upon a new way of attacking or a new great idea. Chances are you are just going to make yourself look dumb. Mention it in the Q and A thread to help prevent you from getting too many stupid looks.

7. We can't help you all that much if you don't have a video of yourself for us to go by. Always get a video of you playing someone close to your level if you want advice on how to improve.

Alot of beginners are telling me I'm too self-righteous, I'm not..I just want these boards to stay clean from crap. I'd really hate for all our potiential and adviced to be muffled out by people asking things like "How do you spot-dodge?".

We can be quite helpful on these boards if you know how to help yourself. We can critique you and help you on your way to becoming a better smasher while answering your questions but please, keep common sense close by.

Quick References

Question and Answer thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=102763

Falco Approach Guide: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=102497

General Marth Approach Guide: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=102436

Instructional marth video: http://www.overswarm.com/melee/videos.php

Wak's how to play video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7Z...elated&search=

How To's

To Short Hop Double Fair (SHDF): You need to do a short hop then do an rising f-air then as it ends, you need to do another f-air then land and L-cancel that fair.This isn't rocket science people

To do a Rising Dair from ledge, you push away on your movement stick then hit down on your c-stick as you jump and hold toward the stage with the movement stick.

A post by Emblem lord, a member of the marth community held in high regard and who started the Question and Answer thread. Cactuar is another great marth but he likes to hide, since hes a cactus and all.
Most common questions are people just being plain lazy.

Things like, what's the best way to SHDF?

Is wavedashing neccessary to be a good Marth?

When is the best time to *insert move/technique/combo here*.

You guys know the rest. People like to be spoon fed. I will not dignify such responses with an answer. It's gotten to a point where I feel like answering questions like that is just plain stupid.

There are some things people need to just figure out on thier own and are so trivial that they really needn't bother asking questions about.
As I said before, advice only goes so far and since god gave you a functioning brain, you should use it.

Arcnatural made a good post about this.
Again I'm sorry but no one can tell you how to play. You have seen the vids, watch them , try to see how and why they do those things. Then try to incorporate them into your game. Make sure you know all the tech skill parts such as short hops, fast falls, l-canceling, teching those will all help to make your character faster. I wish there was an easier way but there isn't. You can only keep playing, practicing, watching videos, observing, and try to absorb as much as you can from better players. The only true way anyone can really help you on these forums for your playstyle is if you put up videos of yourself and let them critique you.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I Would vote for this to be stickied...bt who reads stickies these days.

nubs (including me), listen to this guy, he's right.

Edit: oh yea, first post.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think a good variations of threads can be fun, this kinda shuts them down,

What if the mod likes closing things?

:chuckle:

SOPF

Smash Apprentice
You know I haven't looked at the Roy boards before and after hearing how you make it sound i don't think I ever will. This topic probably should be stickied because, as you said, BlueDeath, a lot of topics have come up about the simplest things. Hopefully some the people who post those questions will read this and change their ways.
Oh, and by the way, BlueDeath in your sig you spelled frightening wrong. I know that the spelling check thing is annoying but if that's your sig I thought you might wanna have all the words down correctly.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I wrote it quickly SOPF...but thanks I guess!

And I'm sorry cactuar...but you've got to remember, there will be those who ignore everything and go ahead anyway..so you'll still get your laughs in.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
Closing threads can be fun and annoying at the same time.

Anyways, I'll think about stickying this. Emblem_Lord wanted me to do something like this to stop people from making whole new threads to ask a stupid question when they can easily ask in the Q & A thread.

metroid1117

Smash Master
"Love the arrogant noob as you would love your own child, for their arrogance is your pride." - Simna ibn Sind

Anyway, noob threads are funny to read sometimes, but I just don't post in them if someone has answered their question. I think someone would rather be ignored rather than made fun of for their ignorance. But yes, it does prevent better threads from being bumped, so I agree; this should be stickied to avoid our boards from being polluted by noob threads.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I'm really glad you're giving thought about stickying this, that'd give me a feeling of accomplishment..

I agree on noob threads can be funny..but it can get extremely annoying after awhile so I'm just trying to save a few headaches.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Ya I would sticky this..and then i would get bludeath to rewrite a few additions to it..though i feel like a lot of it's probably in the guide...but a paragraph about how to SHDFair and how to ken combo would probably remove a few more stupid questions...

meh i know i asked a lot of stupid stuff in the day...hell i still do from time to time...i just can't think of it atm. what other questions are common...light shield edgehog..dancing blade..we should just link ken's commentary on that.

hell, we just need a really good guide with a read first sign and a few basic forum rules on stupid questions not to post

edit: bluedeath i thought you were going to go to that small tourney in Greensboro..were you there? i didn't see any marth players..i could have used some training

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I was, things came up...I really can't be going anywhere till after the 19th of july due to me being so busy. How far you live from bladenboro?

I may add a few common answers section to it if it gets stickied.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I'm glad you guys are keeping my thread up there at least so even if its not stickied, its like it is.

I've noticed since I made my thread like this, the mewtwo boards made similar threads..maybe I started a trend? lol.

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
This thread is too good. Mods, Sticky this quick!!!

I dunno why its not stickied yet.
Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky Sticky
You don't need to post twice about it.

I will sticky this after I figure out if anything needs to be added to it; if so, I'll ask bluedeath to add to it before stickying it. If not, I'll just go ahead and sticky it.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I recommend removing the bottom 2 paragraphs if your stickying no need to read that every time lol. And capitalize rules 1 and 4 since those are the most noticeable and predictable posts on all character specific boards.

Edit: I really recommend putting links to all of Wak's instructional videos on youtube here as well.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Sorry B-will, I went on vacation since the 8th so I've not been on any, I've just now got a spare minute.

Just get everything ready that you think it needs, I really didn't cover very much besides what should be common sense...which is sad that it needs to be written out.

thanks for putting some thought toward it.

SOPF

Smash Apprentice
Being that someone made a new thread about how to SHDF, AGAIN, and this thread isn't stickied yet, I got one word for you................
BUMP!!!!!!!!

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Guys, please bump this topic in a more informative way, such as stating something that can be changed/added to make it work abit better.

thanks, I'll be free again this weekend so I'll be back on "duty"

Considering how everyone thinks I'm a noob basher or something..so I must continue on.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Normally I'd want to debate the reasons I said that, but then I recongized your screen name and remembered your past posts so...

Have a nice day instead! (Even the roy boards pick on you, technomancer can second me on that)

technomancer

Smash Champion
Lol, sup RoK.

Bump because spams are gross

You should put in all the button press sequences for Marth's supers and how much gauge you need etc for easy reference.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
shhh technomancer, we can't have the noobs finding out our secrets...

but a paragraph with links to the Q and A thread and the approach thread and etc might be good..

SOPF

Smash Apprentice
LOL. Ragnarokntexas, just stay in the Roy boards if you have a problem with Marth users.

BlueDeath, I agree with Arcnatural about adding the Wak instructional vids. Also, could you put something in specific about not making anymore SHDF threads. Just thinkin about those threads fills my mind with murderous thoughts. Next time I see one I'm gonna punch a baby.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
wak instructional videos and a short listing of quick answers to common questions..anything else? SHDF would be explained..but what else while we are at it?

SOPF

Smash Apprentice
Maybe an explanation on rising ledge Dairing. That's the only other thing I can think of.

Top Bottom