• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG 2007 Smash Series: Long Island, NY May 5-6th (Check MLGpro for event recaps)

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Registration Up!!!
https://www.mlgpro.com/store/category.php?action=view&cid=7

This link should work. If for some reason it doesnt just go to mlgpro.com and click on mlg store button in the top right (you can read about smash in the "smash series" tab on the main page) then click "MLG 2007 Smash Series" and add the singles and or doubles passes to your cart and check out. You will need a mlgpro.com account. You can buy passes for other people and transfer them at the event btw. First come first serve on passes, make sure to get yours!

(via gran_calc)
For ANYONE experiencing registration or account activation issues at MLGpro.com, do the following:

1) If you do not receive an activation E-mail within 30 minutes or if you need another one sent to you in the future, try going here and inputting the E-mail address registered to your account:
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/register...o=requestemail

2) If that does not work, send me (username: Gran_Calc) a PM on these forums with your exact MLGpro.com username and a brief statement that you are unable to activate or validate your account. I'll handle it from there.

You cannot participate in this event if you do not register online. There will be no door passes. No exceptions.

(Via Rei)

Right down the Road and Only about 2 miles away!
Marriott Hotels
1350 Walt Whitman Rd
Melville, NY 11747
(631) 423-1600

Map of Farmingdale Bus (N95) w/ link to transfer information: http://www.mta.info/libus/routes/n95/n95map.htm

N95 Schedule: http://www.mta.info/libus/routes/n95/weekday.pdf

These only run on WEEKDAYS. Be Advised.

Long Island Rail Road Information: http://mta.info/lirr/

If you wanna drive: www.mapquest.com the previously given venue addy.

If you need to be picked up from the train station my number will be posted a couple days before the event. Give me a call and we'll do our best to pick you up. Worst comes to worse, take a 10 buck cab and we'll worry about it then. :D

This should cover pretty much everything. I understand you're all coming from distant and varying lands, and it's for that reason, lest I shoot myself, I can't field all of your specific questions. Use the sites given to the best of your ability and if **** happens, speak then and I'll see what I can do.

Alright everyone, here goes.

The tournament will take place at Roosevelt hall, Farmingdale University ( http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/6130/farmingdalemapng6.jpg ). Farmingdale State College, 2350 Broadhollow Rd, Farmingdale, NY, 11735

Schedule:
Saturday May 5th
9:15 AM -11 - Setup/Warm-ups/Breakfast for staff and pros
11 AM-9:30 PM - Singles Pool play down to top 6 for brackets and once we are done we will open all stations up for free play

Sunday May 6th
9 AM-10AM - Warmups/Breakfast for staff and pros
10 AM-6 PM - Doubles pool play down to top 6 in brackets
6 PM-7:30 PM - Singles top 6 bracket/prizes
7:30-9 PM- Doubles top 6 bracket/prizes
9 PM-10 PM-Cleanup

The tournament will consist of a doubles and singles tournament with complete rules below (for those of you familiar with MLG last year they are the same that we closed the year with). Pools will be seeded using last years rank points, with those without points being randomly seeded.

Registration will be done only through mlgpro.com and it will close on April 30st. Details and registration should be up on the web-site shortly. Also a few days before the tournament we will make all the pools available to everyone via mlgpro.com

There is a limited amount of housing available. Rei and his friends live on campus and are willing to house with special consideration to those who speak up in advance and those who are traveling the furthest. There also might be smashers in the Long Island area willing to house, and it would be greatly appreciated if they posted what’s up. After that there are some nearby hotels that are I would suggest talking with other smashers as far as sharing rooms. Rei and I will be working on group rates for you guys, so watch for info. But we need to know the approxiamate number of interested people so please pm "Rei" or post if you are interested.

SETUPS.. WE NEED SETUPS. We have a great venue that is very spacious, so the more setups we have the more smoothly the tournament can run and the more free play there will be. If we are forced to rent setups money that would be going towards the prize pool will otherwise be forced to be used for this. If you could bring a setup 19 inch or bigger please pm Rei (should have a post somewhere on the first couple pages) as he is main guy behind the organization of this event. And he will add you to the setup list.

Prizes: All prizes are percentaged based on the total we take in for registration plus the money we add to the pot

1st- 50%
2nd-26%
3rd-12%
4th-6%
5th-4%
6th-2%

SPECIAL BONUSES:

-Depending on the final budget will be adding somewhere between $800 and $400 dollars to the prize pool.

-One of the biggest pieces of feedback I got from Pros after last season was how much they liked getting food during the tournament. And while this isnt the main tour we have arranged to provide food throughout the tournament for anyone who finished in the Top 16 in singles or doubles after last year. We are still working out the what/when/how many meals (it should be 2 and maybe a snack per day though). However I need to know exactly how many people we need food for. So if you were Top 16 and attending you need to email me by April 3oth at jversical@mlgpro.com. Subject: NY Food. Also, let me make this clear the food is for you and you only. Anyone caught given out food we simply not receive anymore at the event or any other MLG sponsored events this year. Any left over food we will try to give out to those of you good enough to bring setups.

-To any of you who had attended Rei’s last tournament, A Call to Arms, you’ll remember that Redbull attended. Gladly, Redbull agreed to show up again and hang out. They’ll be setting up coolers, handing drinks out, and bringing some other merch. This, unlike the food, is open to everyone.

Super Smash Brothers Melee

General Rules and Regulations

1. During Championship Bracket competitions, all players must register a 1-4 digit tag. If they wish to wear a tag during the game they must use their registered tag, otherwise they may not use one.
2. During scheduled warm-up periods the winner stays and the loser must get up.
3. If a player or team doesn't show up on time for their match, they will be given a 5 minute grace period before it will go down as a forfeit.
4. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed.
5. A staff member will record each game's results so no reporting of scores by players is necessary.
6. All decisions made by tournament officials are final.
7. Players must conduct themselves in a reasonable manner. Permanent ejection of a player from the tournament is at the staff's discretion.
8. Spectators may not communicate with a player while he or she is competing. Breaking this rule will result in a warning. A second violation will result in ejection of the spectator and forfeit of the game.
9. Any intentional forfeiting or conspiring to manipulate the rankings/brackets will result in ejection and possible suspension from future tournaments.
10. Any other sign of cheating will also result in forfeit of the game.
11. Players must report to their station immediately after their match is announced. If after 5 minutes, a player/team has not reported to their station they will forfeit the match.

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Open Competitions

1. The Open Singles competition will start with Pool Play. All players with rank points will be separated into the pools. All remaining players will be randomly separated into the pools. The top 2 players from each pool will advance to the Championship Singles bracket.
2. The Open Doubles competition will consist of Pool Play. All teams with rank points will be separated into the pools. All remaining teams will be randomly separated into the pools. The top 2 players from each pool will advance to the Championship Doubles bracket.
3. Each player/team will play 2 games against all other players/teams in their pool. Scores will be recorded and used to rank players for the Elimination Bracket. Any ties for advancing positions will be broken by a single tiebreaker game.
4. For each game of a pool play match, the stage will be selected at random from the list of Random Select stages. Each player can eliminate 1 stage from the list of possibilities.
5. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
6. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
7. Items will be turned off.

Championship Competitions
1. The first two rounds of the Championship Singles and Doubles brackets will be best of 3 games series, double elimination brackets. All rounds thereafter will be best of 5 game series.
2. Players will be seeded for the bracket based first on their pool play performance. Ties will be their pool bracket seed.
3. Lives will be set at 4 stock with an 8 minute time limit.
4. Ties will be broken by stock left and then by percentage of health. Sudden death will be played if both the stock and percentage are tied at the end of the time limit.
5. Items will be turned off.

Stage & Character Selection

1. The higher seed has first choice for their seat(s) and controller port(s). The higher seeded team has first choice for their team color. Teams must sit together on one side or the other. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, the winner of the 1st series will have seat and controller choice.
2. The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random unless both players/teams can agree on one.
3. Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
4. Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64
5. Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
6. Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2
7. Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City
8. Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi’s Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach’s Castle, and Kongo Jungle, Onett.
9. No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series. The random select stages are the only stages that may be used more than once in a best of 11 series.
10. After characters and the first stage has been chosen randomly during the opening (non damage phase) either team my elect to not play that stage and redo the random. Each team/player is allowed one Non-Random stage knock-off. The lower seeded team uses theirs first.
11. After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.
12. For the first game of a series, a player may call for a double-blind pick. This means that all participating players must tell a judge the character they will use for that game. Each player is required to use that character in the game.
13. If players/teams meet for a 2nd time in the Championship Bracket, their series will expand to a best of 11, include the previous series, and pick up where that series left off. For example, if Player A beat Player B 3 games to 0 in the Winners Bracket, the Best of 11 will resume with Game 4 and Player leading 3 games to 0. The loser of the 1st series will choose the stage for the 1st game of the 2nd series and players may call for a double-blind pick before any game throughout the best of 11.
14. If the players/teams meeting in the Championship Match have not yet faced each other in a series and the team coming from the Losers Bracket wins first series, another series must be played to break the tie since both players/teams would only have one series loss.

Other Rules & Special Issues

1. Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
2. Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
3. Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.
4. Players/teams may designate a coach when they register for a competition, however, this coach may not be registered as a player for either a Singles or Doubles competition. Coaches may not instruct players during games, but may consult with players for a maximum of 1 minute between games. Once the stage for the next game has been selected, players may not talk to their coach.
5. For Doubles matches, Team Attack is ON
6. For Doubles matches, life stealing is allowed

Mars-

Smash Champion
Yeah I heard that too. But I also heard they were just doing seperate events for smash.

Wife

Smash Lord
This sounds fantastic. Team Ben will surely be there.

Good clux.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
"4. In the case of a GameCube/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed."

At SMYM this weekend my VCR powered off during a match, and the players immediately paused. We turned it back on and they resumed--no harm done.

Is a match really going to restart in this situation? Something as simple and innocuous as a TV or VCR shutting off? Sounds shady to me.

Rei

Smash Cadet
Set Ups

Tvs:

Me
School1
School2
Bryce
George
Cody
Apathy(?)
Woman(?)
KF

Cubes:

Me
Dirty
George
Apathy
Vist
KF

Rei

Smash Cadet
so now MLG is gonna have a seperate tour for smash?...thats broken...peace

-hiroshi

I know, son! Now they're going to have a tournament that completely focuses on Smash Brothers. Now, instead of dividing their attention to Halo 2 and other games, the entire tournament will be devoted to smash! That ****ing sucks!

Oh, no, wait. You're just an idiot. :laugh:

Drephen

Smash Master
so is this halo or just smash?

im gonna try really hard to come to this

if so i am sleeping with JV, no exceptions

Bailey

Smash Hero
Wow good **** to MLG (for once lol) this tournament should be a lot cooler now that it is only smash. Well time to practice for 6th place sigh. So I gotta get a partner for teams now. So I wanna be in the hotel room/motel room/anything with PC. *Fanboy/Stalker Talk* lol

valoem

Smash Journeyman
I know, son! Now they're going to have a tournament that completely focuses on Smash Brothers. Now, instead of dividing their attention to Halo 2 and other games, the entire tournament will be devoted to smash! That ****ing sucks!

Oh, no, wait. You're just an idiot. :laugh:
Last time I checked "broken" means so good its unfair. So I think he was complimenting MLG.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Some answers...

Yeap its only smash! And we will try to leave as much time for free-play as possible.

Drephen you better come! But bed-wise very attractive females (and i have to be single) are the only ones that might get to sleep in the same bed as me... haha. I still love you though! You guys better for sure come. Team ben too!!! D1 and Ace see you guys there.

Other events- What it is going to be is we are sponsoring Pound 2, FC, and a west coast event. All of them should be amazing tournaments. So hopefully everyone tries to make all of them.

Malfunctions- A tv being turned off doesnt fall under the definition of "malfunction".

Anyway i cant wait. See everyone there!

Rei

Smash Cadet
Last time I checked "broken" means so good its unfair. So I think he was complimenting MLG.
Maybe. But I'm going to disregard that and assume I'm right.

Yetah!

We're going to have Red Bull and Mrs. Portman again!

-dangles key chain- Did you forget yet? -_-

Luckydoog777

Smash Rookie
y do i have a feeling this is the od prank for april fools day? plus its not anounnced at mlgpro.com, so its a lil fishy 2 me rite now

nvr mind found out that this was out b4 april fools (feels really dumb)

trademark0013

Smash Champion
^^^ lmao

I'll see what New Heaven can do. Somebody has to repesent ct smash and if Cort, brookman, spawn, aesir, miltea, nus, JV, V... (a few min later) or him can't do it, then we will. i'll be emailing about housing also.

EmericanReaper

Smash Rookie
Im new to this tournament thing and am stoked to give it a whirl but how many people usually come up to something like this

Rei

Smash Cadet
Im new to this tournament thing and am stoked to give it a whirl but how many people usually come up to something like this

Quite a few. We're thinking 100ish, all things considered? You should come. :D

Tink, hit me up early while we have the space. I remember from Wes and PC's tourny that you're traveling from the Midwest, so I'd be happy to accomodate you and your crew the best I can.

Tink

Smash Hero
ok, ill talk to people and see whats up. i know dope was talking about going, so we'll see.
ill PM you when i know. i shall be fun to go to NY again and get ***** =). (in smash <_< )

Cia

das kwl
Hmmm.. I've never been to an MLG tournament before. Though my friends have. I heard they're supposed to be good. Either way, I'm going and I have at least 4 other people going with me. But one more thing. If you're not going by car, is there anyway to get there by Bus or LIRR??

Rei

Smash Cadet
Hmmm.. I've never been to an MLG tournament before. Though my friends have. I heard they're supposed to be good. Either way, I'm going and I have at least 4 other people going with me. But one more thing. If you're not going by car, is there anyway to get there by Bus or LIRR??
Yessir. Farmingdale SUNY is convienetly located five minutes away (by car) from the Farmingdale LIRR station on the Ronkonkama track. The bus also comes directly to campus, not sure about the schedule though.

I'll see what I can do to shuttle people from the LIRR station to the event, but the taxis there shouldn't be too much.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
KF definitely can't wait for this. It's time for us to have another great performance and kick a$$ again. This is gonna be mad good and fun. :)

Me and my team partner Warrior Knight (Team Smash Bouncers - Double Bowser) placed 4th at MLG NY in Open Doubles. In addition, we got some MLG points. So does that count for anything like the free food or it only counts for the top 16 in the Doubles Championship?

Top Bottom