• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cyberjocks Smash CASH Results!

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone that came out for this. It was a great tournament and I hope everyone had fun. For next time we will try and get things done even faster so that there is more time for MM's/crew battles at the end. Hopefully the next one has an even bigger turnout than this one. We gave out over $1100 in cash, and I'm hoping the next one will be over $2000.

Videos: (compliments of MDK)

Doubles Grand Finals:
AnythingAlcoholic vs AsianSensations Pt 1
AnythingAlcoholic vs AsianSensations Pt 2
AnythingAlcoholic vs AsianSensations Pt 3
AnythingAlcoholic vs AsianSensations Pt 4

Singles Grand Finals:
Neo (Marth) vs Plank (MetaKnight) Pt 1
Neo (Marth) vs Plank (MetaKnight) Pt 2
Neo (Marth) vs Plank (MetaKnight) Pt 3
Neo (Marth) vs Plank (MetaKnight) Pt 4
Neo (Marth) vs Plank (MetaKnight) Pt 5

Other recorded matches

Results:

DOUBLES (http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doublesft2.gif)
1: AsianSensations (JL :wario: and Ambrose :metaknight:) ($336.00)
2: AnythingAlchoholic (Neo :marth: and Plank:metaknight: / :dk2: ) ($96.00)
3: Tantalus
4: TheOthers
5: FurryTornado
5: TheBetterPlayers
7: OhSnap!
7: 1up
9: RedlinskiMeats
9: TC
9: Mystic
9: SlipNSlide
13: DaveCarriesUs
13: GorillaWarfare
13: PaxtonBoys
13: BrainTrust

SINGLES (http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=singleszi0.gif)
1: Plank :metaknight: ($560.00)
2: Neo :marth: ($160.00)
3: KingAce :metaknight:
4: Ambrose :metaknight:
5: Minus :falco:
5: Percon :snake:
7: Pika :pikachu2:
7: Yannich :yoshi2:
9: WolfBlade
9: MDK
9: JL
9: WTBug
13: Asylum
13: KnockMeOut99
13: JesiahTEG
13: Silver Spawn
17: BadaBoom
17: PyrNight
17: Jimmie
17: PastaBoy
17: KoziMoto
17: AKFG
17: Echoes
17: Niko_K
25: DayWalker
25: Omar
25: Cstick
25: Lawlbot
25: MysticHero
25: Miller
25: It
25: TKM
33: Wind Alchemist
33: Xile
33: D3ath101
33: Arrow123
33: Eric
33: SnipeshowJoe
33: BlueBrute
33: Mcnabb

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Character usage?

1: Plank (Meta Knight)
2: Neo (Marth)
3: KingAce (Meta Knight)
4: Ambrose (Mr. Game & Watch/Snake/Meta Knight)
5: Minus (Meta Knight/Lucas)
5: Percon (Snake)
7: Pika
7: Yannich

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
hmm dont recall Ambrose using GnW or Snake, but I didn't watch all the matches. Anyways, ty Ankoku updated with char usage for a few players.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Uhh, I was guessing based on previous tournaments, lol. I didn't even go to this.

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
Uhh, I was guessing based on previous tournaments, lol. I didn't even go to this.
LOL.

Pretty accurate guess work though. Everything except for that GnW/Snake inclusion had me thinking you were here.

Btw, many props to Yannich and Pika for getting so far in the tourney without having to use the beast, and simultaneously having to beat him so many times.

I was really rooting for Neo to win that finals; nothin personal Plank, just the whole MK thing. That and Neo handled me in about 2 minutes so I would've liked to say I lost to the champ :bee:

J.L

Smash Ace
I believe Minus went full out Falco this tournament.

Other than that, great results!

GGs to everyone I played and Ill see some of you at CH4!!!

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
gg asylum LOL

this tourney paid for my plane ticket to cali, so wish me luck people!!! EC represent!

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
13: Assylum, wow are you kidding me?
Haha sorry, apparently Tony's mind was on something else when he wrote you into the tourney.

Also, don't know how i forgot this in my last post, but way to be GTAN crew. Guys came out and surprised some folks. No one was really giving them love prior to the tourney but they rep'd hard. Gratz to them.

And, of course, grats to Plank and NEO. Plank was talkin that smack before the tourney and he backed it up. He put a huge target on his and Neo's backs, everyone was hyped up when they faced them, and lo and behold....they did exactly what he said.

If i forgot anyone else, which i know i did, sorry for not shoutin out you too.

Once again, great tourney, and thanks everyone for showing up, competing hard and keeping it fun.

MDK00

Smash Ace
vids
http://ca.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D94A244C147ACAB4

jus wanna pay respectz to:
neo, plank, the CAN crew that came out, nikoK (lol mad struggles jus to get 2 this tourny, thnx for holdin me down, u noe i got ur bak), yannich for casuals, pika! for that ridiculous pikachu, and mad luv for everyone else

i jus wanna say *** da owner of cyberjocks. he was a pure scam artist. what kinda guy charges 5$ for venue fee and takes 10% of the pot? what a crook. thats too teef.

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I agree, cyberjocks also falsely advertised a 'free' tourney before, and there was no mention of the house fee in the ad, but they scammed people out of it.

There is also a lot of censorship there, and constructive criticism gets you threatened by the higher-ups.

TheRazaman

Smash Apprentice
vids
http://ca.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D94A244C147ACAB4

jus wanna pay respectz to:
neo, plank, the CAN crew that came out, nikoK (lol mad struggles jus to get 2 this tourny, thnx for holdin me down, u noe i got ur bak), yannich for casuals, pika! for that ridiculous pikachu, and mad luv for everyone else

i jus wanna say *** da owner of cyberjocks. he was a pure scam artist. what kinda guy charges 5$ for venue fee and takes 10% of the pot? what a crook. thats too teef.
Thank you MDK.

Next time hopefully I will be running (or at least co-running) our next Smash tourney instead of Tony doing everything.

And, as for the house take; it is a regular LAN center for PC gaming and when Smash happens we usually don't get much in the way of our normal PC gamers. But, since our Brawl tournies keep getting bigger and bigger we most likely will incorporate a 3rd place prize of 10% (or do 65/25/15) for the next Brawl split.

Hopefully, it wasn't that unenjoyable for you. But hey, feedback is always appreciated.

OP updated with the link to the videos.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I appreciate that Cyberjocks gave me a place to play, and took time out of their schedule to hold a tournament for the game I love. I'm glad that the 2 people that deserved to win got around 400 dollars each, which they deserved, and the place that put all the hard work into the tournament got enough money to pay their bills so in the future they can host more tournaments for us to enjoy.

You know what happens when venues don't take enough money out of the pot? They either stop holding tournaments or go out of business.

Again Cyberjocks, thanks for holding this tournament. I'll be glad to pay any amount to play the game I love.

KingAce

Smash Ace
$5 venue fee per person should be good enough, besides tournys that dont pay out 3rd are just small one or in this case, one that has a dumb host (fat guy with glasses) not razaman

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I was happy to pay whatever amount because I'm grateful that the tournament was even hosted, and I don't mind spending money to support a cause I care about: Gaming.

Bug~

Smash Ace
lol can Jesiah be another Percon? just way too **** nice..nah no way percon is the king of niceness it makes me laugh cause its so cool and funny!

btw Jesiah..your first match...that suicide ftl :(

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
Then there's always tournaments which we the players organize that pay out 100%. Jesse, would you not complain if it only payed out 20%? Where do you draw the line?

Voidious

Smash Apprentice
Then there's always tournaments which we the players organize that pay out 100%. Jesse, would you not complain if it only payed out 20%? Where do you draw the line?
Well, for a fair comparison to other venue / tourney fees, simply convert the 10% of the pot to being considered part of the venue fee. So instead of $5 venue fee and $20 tournament fee (I can't remember if that's right), consider it equivalent to $7 venue fee and $18 tournament fee. Is that out of line with what other LAN centers charge as a venue fee? (I haven't been to many tourneys, so I dunno, but doesn't seem like it. XII ESTICLE was $10 / $10.)

But if the venue is also handling running the tourney, scaling the (effective) venue fee to # of tourney entrants doesn't seem unfair. I guess all I'm really saying is that, in my mind, "taking a % of the pot or not" doesn't seem like the "line" you should look at, but just consider the total cost that goes to the venue per player.

If they took 80% of the tourney fee, like in your example, now you're talking about $21 venue fee (and $4 tournament fee), which of course seems extremely high.

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
Well, for a fair comparison to other venue / tourney fees, simply convert the 10% of the pot to being considered part of the venue fee. So instead of $5 venue fee and $20 tournament fee (I can't remember if that's right), consider it equivalent to $7 venue fee and $18 tournament fee. Is that out of line with what other LAN centers charge as a venue fee? (I haven't been to many tourneys, so I dunno, but doesn't seem like it. XII ESTICLE was $10 / $10.)

But if the venue is also handling running the tourney, scaling the (effective) venue fee to # of tourney entrants doesn't seem unfair. I guess all I'm really saying is that, in my mind, "taking a % of the pot or not" doesn't seem like the "line" you should look at, but just consider the total cost that goes to the venue per player.

If they took 80% of the tourney fee, like in your example, now you're talking about $21 venue fee (and $4 tournament fee), which of course seems extremely high.
He said he's happy to pay whatever amount, which is ********. In order for the amount to be feasible, it has to be fairly close to player run tournaments which have no house fee, so I guess below $5. A lot of the players also buy their overpriced food and drinks too. If the tournament wasn't there, those players wouldn't be buying food or drinks. You see where I'm coming from? They have plenty of ways to cover the expenses. They don't need $7 venue fees AND $7 sandwiches (which again wouldn't be bought as much if the tournament wasn't ran).

Voidious

Smash Apprentice
Sure, I do hear where you're coming from, and in the end, the market is what determines what is a "fair price", of course. But, personally, I'd rather pay an extra $2-$4 (counting doubles %) venue fee than have these events canceled because a Halo tourney could make the venue more money. It doesn't seem like there is an overabundance of good WNY tourneys going on (I could be wrong?), particularly in the Buffalo area, and beggars can't be choosers. (I don't live in Buffalo any more, actually, but I'm forced to travel at least 1.5 hrs to any decent tourneys, too, so I'm also a "beggar". :) )

I mean even just traveling to Rochester for a tourney would be another $15-$20 in gas and 2 hours of your time...

Granted, I'm fairly new to all this, and maybe it is a total ripoff. But I certainly see a lot of reasons why in the end, it may not be.

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
Sure, I do hear where you're coming from, and in the end, the market is what determines what is a "fair price", of course. But, personally, I'd rather pay an extra $2-$4 (counting doubles %) venue fee than have these events canceled because a Halo tourney could make the venue more money. It doesn't seem like there is an overabundance of good WNY tourneys going on (I could be wrong?), particularly in the Buffalo area, and beggars can't be choosers. (I don't live in Buffalo any more, actually, but I'm forced to travel at least 1.5 hrs to any decent tourneys, too, so I'm also a "beggar". :) )

I mean even just traveling to Rochester for a tourney would be another $15-$20 in gas and 2 hours of your time...

Granted, I'm fairly new to all this, and maybe it is a total ripoff. But I certainly see a lot of reasons why in the end, it may not be.
They're not gonna do another Halo tourney a week later or the next day after the previous one. People have work, and usually they can only afford to take 1 weekend off, not 2 in a row. That's why smash would stay regardless, as long as it made money. It also gets them unbelievable publicity and more customers in general, not just for food.

$10/$10 is kinda a rip-off, but at least the total cost of 20 is reasonable. You gave it as an example to basically make a statement of "ratios aint that bad". What if it was $20/$20 or 30/30. Doesn't seem reasonable anymore, does it?

Let me give you a GOOD example. Arena51 venue fee is $5 and includes free BBQ. Prizes pay out 100% and include both free credits and a drink.

Voidious

Smash Apprentice
They're not gonna do another Halo tourney a week later or the next day after the previous one. People have work, and usually they can only afford to take 1 weekend off, not 2 in a row. That's why smash would stay regardless, as long as it made money. It also gets them unbelievable publicity and more customers in general, not just for food.
OK, but Halo tourney was just an example - I just mean that if they have other options that will make them more money, they will not hold Smash tourneys. I don't mean to speak for Jesse, but I think the main thing we're both thinking is that it's better to have the option of a (perhaps *slightly* overpriced) tourney in WNY than to have none at all.
$10/$10 is kinda a rip-off, but at least the total cost of 20 is reasonable. You gave it as an example to basically make a statement of "ratios aint that bad". What if it was $20/$20 or 30/30. Doesn't seem reasonable anymore, does it?
To be clear, I didn't mean to emphasize the ratio, so I don't know why I even mentioned the tourney fee. I was just comparing the venue fee for another tourney at a similar venue (where I didn't hear anyone complaining about the cost).
Let me give you a GOOD example. Arena51 venue fee is $5 and includes free BBQ. Prizes pay out 100% and include both free credits and a drink.
Yes, that is a great example. =) That sounds like a really great value. I'm actually hoping to hit up an Arena 51 tourney during a WNY visit sometime soonish, so perhaps I'll see y'all there.

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
Actually the topic said that the brawl tourney was a surprise and there's NEVER that many people at the facility even at other tourneys or LANs. Consider your argument owned.

Arena51 and player/college-ran tourneys >>>>>>>>>cyberjocks

Voidious

Smash Apprentice
Actually the topic said that the brawl tourney was a surprise and there's NEVER that many people at the facility even at other tourneys or LANs. Consider your argument owned.

Arena51 and player/college-ran tourneys >>>>>>>>>cyberjocks
Heh, yikes bro, I didn't mean anything personal. I never claimed to be an expert on Smash venue fees, so I don't think I can get "owned" here. :bee: I also didn't realize that there were other large tourneys in WNY this past weekend? Cyber Jocks tourney >>>> nothing, IMO.

Anyway, I'll consider my "argument" to be "owned" when either: Cyber Jocks decreases venue fee by 50% (ie, cuts the pot 10% skimming), as you suggest, and brings in more than twice as many people, which is what it would take to make that a good *business decision*; or their Smash tourney attendance continues to decline because everyone thinks it's too costly.

Cyber Jocks is a business, and frankly, I just don't begrudge them that. Sorry to let this become at all "heated", I've said what I wanted to say.

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
They could always charge for rest rooms and toilet paper. :p

But yeah, most of my friends who don't want to go to cyberjocks usually say "i hate that place". I kinda followed suit and stopped going there too. I mean there's a lot of reasons not to, isn't there? Just wait, there's gonna be player/college run tourneys soon, brawl is only getting bigger.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I personally had a ton of fine, besides my personal losses.

Here were my pros and cons.

PROS
-Nice venue, I liked the color and lighting
-I liked the organization of TV's, very nice
-The nachos were really really good
-The owner seemed like a nice, normal guy
-It was VERY organized, everyone's matches got done on time and the owner himself sat there and took in the results from the tourney
-The payout was great, Plairnk and NEO combined got around 700-800 dollars, enough for Plairnk to go to Cali for another tourney, and NEO to pay off some important stuff I think
-According to the venue fee and how much was taken from the pot, the tournament was a success for Cyberjocks and they are expected to hold another tournament in the near future

CONS
-It was cold
-The nachos were a bit overpriced, though I'd still buy them cuz they were really good
-There were no T.V's for friendlies it seemed
-One of the guys, while really really nice, kinda snapped at me when I was yelling for my friends to do well. I don't think he understood that it can get MUUUUCH louder at Smash tournies. Next time, I hope that I can cheer for my friends without being told to be quiet. At other big tournies, you have people in your ear screaming stuff lol...I think it adds to the excitement and fun.

Mario Moonshine

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I'll MAKE you some freaking nachos next time you come to Buffalo for f**k's sake. >.>

Now get on AIM, I wanna swear at you violently. j/k

Top Bottom