• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf Illusion Waveland

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
Wolf's Illusion (side-b) is cancellable similar to Fox/ Falco's. So far I've done 3 different lengths. Normal distance, medium and short. Medium is just a shorter version with a kind of waveland after it. The shortest version is basically a hop followed by a waveland.

I guess this could serve as a mindgame and alternate recovery method.

Edit: Its not an actual waveland like in Melee, just the animation. You can't move until the animation is over.

The Don

Smash Cadet
Is it also true that one can change the angle of the > + B?
Ive seen in videos of people going up instead of down and vice versa but im not sure if you can control it....

Also how do you do that cancel?
(if its the same as fox in melee then nvm)

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Ah so no one is still sure if the angle change is automatic or not? That's one nice property.

The Don

Smash Cadet
Going up? Hmm... that's weird.
yea mostly while he is recovering though but i have seen it a couple of times when he is on the aground (not a direct 90 degree angle up) just at the 25 degree angle he normally goes at

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Oh I thought you meant going straight up. XD

So his side b can be a nice anti-air if properly used.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
exactly..less start up lagg. why chance it with ^B .

im not saying it should be used every time but its so much more quicker.

you'll have to sacrifice the chance of damaging the opponent with that kick out of ^B but the safety from >B is much more reliable.

Ive seen Wolfs sweetspot with >B from almost directly under final destination. i think it follows the conture of the map similar to fox's ^B in melee.

Ive gotta review some vids to be sure.

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
Its true that the side-b changes angles to sweetspot. You cannot change it manually though. Don't confuse side-b with up-b now. Up-b is controllable like firefox, side-b isn't.

The cancel is the same principle as cancelling the fox/falco illusion but requires different timing. As far as I can see, you need to press b again earlier than with the other spacies. Its also harder to do imo. (Maybe because I'm used to Fox and Falco so much)

The Wolf Illusion and Boost Kick (we need better names for these, guys...) are both very good and have their advantages, just like Fox/ Falco's.

Anyway who's for a Wolf mindgame/ Wolf specific techs thread? Or is there something of the kind already?

EDIT: I just found out that its not actually a waveland since you cant attack out of it. Still useful though.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
How can you definitively state that it has no anti-air attacking purposes? Even if you own the game you couldn't know everything about it in a few days.
his >B isnt the best choice for anti air. im only suggesting that out of all his mvoes im sure hes got far better choices for countering air than hsi >B whihc is best sued for recovery...as for someone on the ground..another story

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
another little tid-bit thats seems minor but may come in handy: Wolf's laser is actually a two hit combo when done in close proximity to the opponent. The animation where he jerks his gun forward is an attack in itself, it then knocks back the opponent and the laser hits. Works on both light and heavy characters. It does 9-10% damage...

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
Ooh nice... but then again I can't seem to find a good way to launch a B attack close range without having much risk. =/

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I also doubt it will be very practical. Just something I was rather surprised to see.

The Don

Smash Cadet
If it would negate projectiles that would be amazing just another great ability to add to Wolf's growing list

is there a way anyone who owns the game could run a test????

Drack

Smash Apprentice
To answer the question about direction: You generally can't control where the Side-B goes as its trajectory is fixed. However, there's the Surface Glitch mentioned in my guide where if the ground obstructs your path at all, you'll side-B along the ground. This is easiest to show in the Melee Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World) stage, on the big pipe to the left. If you SIde-B up the pipe, you'll continue over the top and your SIde-B will go DOWNWARD along the surface after the pipe's peak. This can also be done on Temple (right side of the cave) and Corneria (at a specific point just by the leftmost ledge).

I have managed to illusion cancel, but the timing is very tight. BecauseWolf's side-B has very little startup time compared to melee space animals, your window of opportunity for an illusion cancel is very small.

Wingless Abaddon

Smash Rookie
I know I'm all kinds of late on this topic, but I was looking at the "New Technique Compilation" thread and saw this tactic for Wolf. I took a good amount of time trying to figure out how to do this technique an easier way(for myself). I tried, shortly after the sideB, a down B. Just B. Side B again. But what I noticed was that it was far easier to just UpB. If you do the side B then immediately UpB(i hit it a couple times, just in case), it will cancel a lot easier. Granted, I still don't get it every time, I get it a heck of a lot more than before.

As for usefulness, the short hop is good for mindgames. The medium range(since I can't seem to get the "long" range) is good for quick forward movement and a good Air avoidance. After the minor distance in the air, Wolf slides across the ground. It does leave him open, but if someone is coming in from above you slide right underneath them since he's in his down animation. So you'll have the upper hand when they land for a nice meaty side smash.

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
The easiest way of learning how to cancel it is to practice, there's no way around it, and this holds true for all advanced techniques in Smash. Granted, its harder to cancel than Fox and Falco's, but press B once just as Wolf starts dashing and you'll cancel it. The hard part it getting a short one or a medium range one on command.

Also just to clarify: There are three lengths altogether. Normal (not cancelled), short cancelled side-b (where Wolf does the hop) and the longer cancelled one (where he "wavelands"). There is no "long" cancelled version of the move.

The best use so far for the attack is for recovery imo, it makes Wolf pretty versatile while getting back to the stage.

Wingless Abaddon

Smash Rookie
True. Practice does make perfect. But if I can practice the Up+B until I figure out just the right time to do it, then I can probably get it with just B and not have to worry about the directional. I guess it's all in the steps you take. Not everyone's way is going to work best for everyone, I guess. :[

Top Bottom