• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to approach with Samus

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I made this thread as a response to the thread How to approuch with samus?, in which I was just going to point out the search results for "Approach" threads in the Samus boards, but I was suprised to see none existed. So while I'm certain this has been discussed, I decided to put down all my thoughts in one thread, with an easily-searched title, which didn't exist hitherto. I sequenced these approaches in increasing complexity / usefulness.

1) Dash attack

Samus' most basic and simple approach, like many characters, is a dash attack (running A). Samus has a very nice dash attack, but like any dash attack, it's a bad idea to do it if they're in their shield, since it will only get you shield-grabbed, up-smashed from shield, up-b'd from shield, or otherwise punished.

2) Dash forward, wavedash back

Also like every character, this is a staple mindgame approach. If they're used to you dash attacking, they're going to react, either by shielding, spot-dodging, or trying to attack your dash when you perform it, enabling you to punish them, such as by grabbing them if they are holding their shield, or smash them if they are trying to counter-attack where you were dashing.

3) Wavedash forward

Samus has a good overall wavedash, and it's certainly a good way to get around, including to move up to your foe. This is probably the most used approach for Samus in the game.

4) Crouch cancel a dash

Another general approach strategy, you can run at them, and crouch cancel (hold down) as you get near them so you'll be able to perform any move you want (such as a forward tilt, which has good speed, range, and priority). Very similar to wavedashing forward, only usually is much less expected by your foe.

5) Chase a missile

This is a more Samus-specific approach, but other characters with projectiles can execute this same overall strategy, which is effective. You want to missile cancel (fire a missile as you land on the ground to remove lag), and then run after it towards them. If they stand there, they will be hit by the missile. If they shield, you can grab them. If they jump, you can follow with an aerial (such as nair). If they spot-dodge, you can tilt/smash them. If they roll away, you can dash attack them. If they roll towards you, you can crouch-cancel your dash attack and smash them.

6) Super wavedash

This is a Samus-only approach, and it is considered more showy than effective, which is generally true. However, if you like super wavedashing, and are able to perform it often enough to make use of it, this can be useful for quick approaches against someone who isn't expecting it, or can't do anything about it - for instance, if you hit them to the other side of the level, and they are recovering. You can also use SWD to chase a missile at great distances.

7) Dash-dancing pivots

This is the best approach in the game, and any character can do it, yet this is probably the most difficult aspect of the game for any player to master. In order to master it, you must first be aware of its importance and how to do it, so you can practice and try to add it to your gave over time. For more information how how to dash-dance or pivot attack, read this: Official Terms and Techniques Thread

8) Make them come to you

Why approach when you have one of the most powerhouse ranged characters in the game? Knowing how to confidently and effectively engage your enemy is critical, but just because you can doesn't mean you should constantly be rushing at them, especially when Samus has so many excellent defensive strategies, such as:

• Charged blast
• Missile spam
• Screw attack (Up-B) from shield
• An excellent spot-dodge and the best crouch-cancel, either of which can brutally be combod just by down-smashing afterwards.

When used well in conjunction, these strategies often will frustrate or fluster your opponent into playing worse and more predictably.
Samus definitely has other approaches, I've just tried to highlight the generalities of how to approach with Samus. If you'd like to post any other suggestions, comments, or feedback, please feel free to do so.

Jasona

Smash Ace
some other ways to advance are:
-wd to dash or the reverse, its a different speed of approach and if you mix it in with WDing it keeps your opponent guessing a little longer. only the initial part of the dash is worth using
-advance by alternating between platforms and the ground, when they're on one, you're on the other

Sony

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the advice it will really come in handy when i mm $ick since i never can find a great approach ill try these on him thanks Phanna and Jasona

J Flo

Smash Journeyman
ill probably use chase a missile approach the most since it seems like the best approach
I don't really think there is a best approach. Just like in any fighting game, I think it's a matter of mixing it up so your opponent has a difficult time reading your gameplay and predicting your moves.

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
ill probably use chase a missile approach the most since it seems like the best approach
If your opponent is smart enough they would just run backwards until the missile exploded and basically beat out your approach.

Things should be mixed up.

And, anyone have any tips on how to learn how to pivot? This is probably the only technique available to every character that I have yet to learn.

Somebody

Smash Journeyman
Awesome thread. Very helpful to alot of people I assume. I dont think it's possible for phanna to make a thread thats not helpful at all.

I do have on question though. How do you fight a marth that NEVER approaches with out getting sheild grabbed or combo'd because he freakin dodges so much. I know I could land something with an upB or grab him if he camps in sheild for a while but he usually has controll of the fight. Even though he waits ALOT he ends up getting combos on me quite a bit. Should I missle spam more or what?

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a ton for this. I'm practicing my Samus because Sheik's beginning to bore me (though a new wave of Sheik inspiration has come). I find this extremely useful, approaching the opponent is one of my weak points at the moment. I usually just missile spam and wait for them to come to me if possible, but if I try to meet them in the middle, I usually screw up somewhere along the lines. Again, thanks. This is gonna help me a bunch. ^_^

Sony

Smash Apprentice
If your opponent is smart enough they would just run backwards until the missile exploded and basically beat out your approach.

Things should be mixed up.

And, anyone have any tips on how to learn how to pivot? This is probably the only technique available to every character that I have yet to learn.
yea i tried the missile thing he then ran backwards like u said but then i just ran up and cc i should just mix it up thanks 4 the help :)

Mars-

Smash Champion
You should add for the cc dash thing, if they shield camp, run behind them. No more shield grabs.

Sony

Smash Apprentice
You should add for the cc dash thing, if they shield camp, run behind them. No more shield grabs.
if u see them shield then just act like ur going to cc then just grab him so its no problem if they shield camp u just have to see there next move shield or attack

Aftermath

Smash Champion
It's a nice start, but you neglected nearly all aerial approaches and didn't give any suggestions for which moves with which to approach. Pivoting would fall more into making them come to you, since Samus has such a short dash dance.

Firefox 2 has a spell checker built in, that is weird. Anyone know how to turn it off?

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
It's a nice start, but you neglected nearly all aerial approaches and didn't give any suggestions for which moves with which to approach. Pivoting would fall more into making them come to you, since Samus has such a short dash dance.

Firefox 2 has a spell checker built in, that is weird. Anyone know how to turn it off?
Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General (tab) - tick under browsing "Check my spelling as I type."

Any tips on how to actually learn pivoting? Like I said this is probably the only advanced technique available to every character that I have yet to learn.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
All you have to do is practice and focus on timing the A button to the control stick and how fast you hit the control stick so you can tilt or smash, or releasing it quickly in order to jab. Spend maybe like 20 minutes on it every other day or so and you'll have it in a couple weeks or less.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I didn't neglect aerial approaches, I just don't think Samus has any. She's not Captain Falcon, she doesn't fly in with nairs on her foe. If your enemy is just sitting there, in shield, or whatever, approaching with an aerial is an awful idea. They'll either dash-dance grab you or shield-grab you. The only time I use aerials to 'approach' my enemy is when they're recovering, like from caping/shining a missile, or from landing on a platform, etc. - and those aren't really approaches so much as punishes. Samus should avoid approaching her enemy with aerials, save when chasing a missile, but that's the chase-a-missile approach, in which you can do pretty much anything.

And you might be right about pivoting, I just know it's pretty much the best thing you can do when you and your foe are both thinking about approaching.

Any tips on how to actually learn pivoting? Like I said this is probably the only advanced technique available to every character that I have yet to learn.
Make sure you have dash-dancing down, and are comfortable doing a very quick dash dance in place, or the longest dash-dance your character can do before they break into a full run and can't dash back without sliding first. Once you're comfortable with dash-dancing, start a normal dash dance, and then one of the times when you're going to hit the other direction, make sure to hit it quick, let the control stcik come back to neutral quickly, and hit A. This is where the practice comes in:

• If you dash attacked in the direction you were already traveling (ie didn't turn where you hit the control stick), you hit the A button too soon, or the control stick too late

• If you dash attack in the opposite direction (the direction you hit the control stick in), You hit the A button too late after the control stick

So as you practice this more and more, you'll find yourself able to pivot fsmashes, jabs, and tilts (all hit the A button at the same time, it's all about the control stick input that determines what comes out). Once you're able to pivot more than not, and avoid dash attacks, you can practice the timing even more - jab requires the fastest flick of the control stick, that it comes back to neutral before you hit A. Fsmash requires you pivot with a smash in that direction sort of, whereas ftilt is where you do a dash dance and as you're turning press the A button to tilt (hit the control stick to pivot, hold it there, and press A - avoiding doing a dash dance)

These might not be the most specific or accurate instructions, but it's how I learned.

Mars-

Smash Champion
I have to disagree with you Phanna on no air approaches. I find it very helpful to shorthop sex kick towards marth, or for characters faster like fox, shorthop forward air. Forward air is an underrated move because it is very fast, has a disjointed hitbox, and has very little lag l-canceled.

Mars-

Smash Champion
i lolled when i read in this "approach" thread "make them come to you". ROFL.
It is the hardest approach in the game though. You have to stand there, not doing anything, and then you slowly move towards them. It just looks like they are coming towards you.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Number 8 was good. Nice job once again phanna... do you ever fail? Now you got me allz paranoids about my rushing!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Wow. I started to use the run in, WD back and it is very good. WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS BEFORE?!?!?!?!?! It is so fun to run up to someone, WD back, let them try to grab or something, WD forward, BLAM! It works very well.

Like I said phanna, do you ever fail?

Kick

Smash Apprentice
the only aerial approach is more of a mindgame. sometimes i like WDing back and forth in front of them. feinting WD in to ftilt. It makes them hesitate. then i short hop, dair. Or more offensively, fair and l cancel >smash.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
good **** phanna, but wow pivot best approach in the game?
arent you exaggerating a bit? care to elaborate?

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I have to disagree with you Phanna on no air approaches. I find it very helpful to shorthop sex kick towards marth, or for characters faster like fox, shorthop forward air. Forward air is an underrated move because it is very fast, has a disjointed hitbox, and has very little lag l-canceled.
Short hopping a sex kick towards an unoccupied Marth is almost always a really bad idea. Utilt, fair, fsmash, etc will all cut right through it. Dashdancing/wavedashing near him and trying to land a jab, ftilt, or dtilt is usually your best bet, or trying to chase a missile cancel into something. Also, for the record, all of Samus' aerials have the same lag.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
Missle chaser is my fav. Unstopable!
Actually, using this against a Fox can be risky. They can reflect the missile, and if you get past it, they can jump out of their reflector, wavedash backwards a bit, then while you tried to hit them in their reflector, they could Usmash you or something.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Short hopping a sex kick towards an unoccupied Marth is almost always a really bad idea. Utilt, fair, fsmash, etc will all cut right through it. Dashdancing/wavedashing near him and trying to land a jab, ftilt, or dtilt is usually your best bet, or trying to chase a missile cancel into something. Also, for the record, all of Samus' aerials have the same lag.
Your wrong. I play against a marth for practice so I would know. You aren't going to get a jab out becuase they will just forward smash you. Chasing a missle is a bad idea too because they can cut through it and hit you at the same time.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
#8 so true, it's my favorite "approach"; hurt them until they attack ^_^

The0n3

Smash Rookie
The missile approach is well explained and full of follow throughs... but what if you're facing a character that has a very small hit box when they crouch? i.e. shiek, kirby, jiggs. They can counter with a strategy of their own, since the missile missed and they can counter your next move.

Top Bottom