• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Skullbash - Advanced Techniques

T0MMY

Smash Master
Here's an easy way to hit with a full-charge Skull Bash:
Next time you fight someone on FD (works on other stages, but FD is the best for this kind of tactic). Make sure there is enough room between you and your opponent. Get all the way to the end of the stage (do a backwards roll to make sure you're at the very edge), then start charging your forward+B. Your opponent should rush you at first, realize you could hit him before he gets to you, hesitates, realizes there are no platforms to stand on, shields, holds his shield, nearly breaks his shield when he realizes you can hold your forward+B longer than he expects, drops his shield, tries to jump out of the way, double-jumps, maybe air-dodges or up+B to get away from an inevitable attack, then gets hit by it.

Another scenario is that they stand their ground and try to counter it and get demolished by it anyway.

The only person I don't try this technique on very often is my brother because he can grab me out of it or shine me or something. His timing is too good vs Skull Bash.

NOTE: if you hit their shield you will most likely break it. If they dodge it, you will fly to the other side of FD and can ledge-cancel the attack, so if you're nearby, hit them with an attack they won't expect (for some reason I do a B-air, there must be better attacks, but I do that out of instinct for some reason).

There are other techniques to get this attack to actually hit, what are some ways you've come up with?

For the most part I can just charge a semi or non-charged forward+B and hit them without too much power, but Pichu needs every attack to hit that he can get, so if I see my chance, I'll go for it. When I hit with a Skullbash I look for a way to escape from getting hit myself, so I look for platform cancels or a way I can fall below platforms so it can give me enough time to defend myself.

Happy Skullbashing.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
Skullbashing doesn't work for me, at least not my opponents. It worked for a while though but their timing is too good. One thing I tried was charging during some jumps. It screws up their timing good!

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I was playing Zoap in Pichu dittos and I saw him try something I had never seen before. He stood at about the middle of FD when I was recovering, and began charging Skull Bash. I sweetspotted, so he missed. Realizing what he tried to do, I Naired him off the stage then pulled the same tactic off for a kill.

I had never seen or heard of this before, but as it turns out Skull Bash can be used quite effectively as an edgeguarding technique ^_^.

nightcape1

Smash Apprentice
sorry to let you know this, but skullbashing doesn't work in real matches. n e one with enough sense would wd/spot dodge/jump to you and attack. it is too easy to counter because they could use projectiles or land on you with an arial, or dodge you, or just plain wait for your skull bash to go off and then intercept it. my friend tried this against my ganon a very long time ago, and i comboed him zero to death at 127%. he never tried it again.

Galeon

Smash Ace
well you'd be surprised how often it hits people who plan to jump over it (like the first time and never again) but yea.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The majority of players don't know the timing to Pichu's Skull Bash, so they start dodging, shielding, or jumping way too early. At the most, they're familiar with Pikachu's timing, which is what throws them off.

In short: Mind Gamez

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Skullbashes are predictable. Only noobs or busy people (fighting other players) will fall for it.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Would Skull Bash work on a stage like Mute City the way Rollout could?

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Would Skull Bash work on a stage like Mute City the way Rollout could?
What do you mean? Like how you can do it against a recovering opponent, and still land back on the stage? If that's what you mean, yes it can, although it doesn't matter if you land on the stage or not, because Pichu can jump after his Skull Bash.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol come on people, you're using pichu, who is crap. skull bash is his strongest knockback move and (LOL) has the largest hitbox in the game, unlike falcon punch or warlock punch.

if you can pull it off, use it! people who say it's useless or not worth it probably don't play pichu very often.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol, wow. People shouldn't get hit by this move. If you jump to early and Pichu releases it, then air dodge. If you want to stand and wait for it, simply hold your shield and roll forwards towards the move. Also, most people I've played when using Pichu simply wait on the other side of the stage and punish the ending lag of the move. There's too many ways to not get hit. It's much easier to land Jigglypuff's Roll Out (which you don't see many people landing).

Come on guys...

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
first off, jumping too early almost certainly means a succesful skullbash, because air dodges or up B's would probably be expected and after that, theres nothing else you can do

and how are you going to punish the ending lag when pichu flies off the stage to an unreachable area?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
first off, jumping too early almost certainly means a successful skullbash, because air dodges or up B's would probably be expected and after that, theres nothing else you can do
lol, that player must be jumping pretty **** early....
Also, when I mentioned air dodging, I mean at the moment you see the attack coming. I doubt any sensible player would air dodge while the oppenent is still charging...
and how are you going to punish the ending lag when pichu flies off the stage to an unreachable area?
Pichu only goes flying off the stage if the skullbash is charged to full power...however, aren't we talking about charging this move and releasing it at certain times where the opponent is off guard? It's doubtful that the oppenent will screw up at the exact moment when Pichu's skullbash is fully charged....:laugh: Also, I still did mention the opponent being on the complete other side of FD, making the attack much more easier to time a jump or dodge to avoid.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Actually, I meant edgeguarding sort of with it, since there are no edges to grab onto.

Soanevalck

Smash Ace
lol, that player must be jumping pretty **** early....
Also, when I mentioned air dodging, I mean at the moment you see the attack coming. I doubt any sensible player would air dodge while the oppenent is still charging...
well, unless you're really far away from the pichu that's charging the skullbash, you'd need to have pretty **** good reflexes to air dodge at the right moment

Pichu only goes flying off the stage if the skullbash is charged to full power...however, aren't we talking about charging this move and releasing it at certain times where the opponent is off guard? It's doubtful that the oppenent will screw up at the exact moment when Pichu's skullbash is fully charged....:laugh: Also, I still did mention the opponent being on the complete other side of FD, making the attack much more easier to time a jump or dodge to avoid.
if the person is close to pichu, and he's caught off guard, it's unlikely that he'll be able to block/dodge because it's easier to time the skullbash correctly, and if pichu does miss, he'll probably be out of danger since it makes no sense to charge a skullbash for a single moment then release asap (and the opponent won't be caught off guard asap either)

and if the opponent is at the other side of whichever stage they're on, it wouldn't make any sense not to charge it to full since you're probably too far away to be able to punish any mistakes your opponents make (save for really laggy moves) and not charging it enough will put you directly in front of your opponent...which is not something you want to do

but anyway, I'm making it sound too useful, only begining players are going to make themselves vulnerable by jumping too early and it has been mentioned already that skullbash could be easily outprioritized by grabs/attacks/whichever

T0MMY

Smash Master
I agree with Soanevalck.
Whoever says this move is worthless and not to even attempt to use it hasn't done their Pichu homework.

NJzFinest: To address your questions on the Skullbash, first off, you would start the charge when they are advancing which changes their intent from advance to defense. At which point they hesitate because not very many people play against Pichu, they will shield, dodge, jump, etc. while you still charge for a very long time.

If they run to the other side of FD and you fully charge your Skullbash THERE WILL BE NEARLY NO LAG. The reason for this is because when you do a full-charge Skullbash you will ledge-cancel the landing and can immediately attack (please refer to what I wrote in my first post).
So now it's a win-win situation, if you hit their shield you have a chance of breaking it (the Skullbash destroys everything in its path) and if they get out of the way, you have the advantage of a quick attack from behind.

BONUS SKULLBASH TIP: Try a forward+B on Yoshi's Story and hit a flying Shyguy, it will drop you down in an unexpected way--use this as a mind game.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Baby pokeman weren't meant for anything this dangerous.
*Agrees*
Whoever says this move is worthless and not to even attempt to use it hasn't done their Pichu homework.
Like KoreanDJ and Chu Dat?
NJzFinest: To address your questions on the Skullbash, first off, you would start the charge when they are advancing which changes their intent from advance to defense. At which point they hesitate because not very many people play against Pichu, they will shield, dodge, jump, etc. while you still charge for a very long time.
I'm well aware of what the thread is about.
If they run to the other side of FD and you fully charge your Skullbash THERE WILL BE NEARLY NO LAG. The reason for this is because when you do a full-charge Skullbash you will ledge-cancel the landing and can immediately attack (please refer to what I wrote in my first post).
Fully charged, you'll pass the ledge actually. Nevertheless, if they run to the other side, they won't be hit :chuckle:
So now it's a win-win situation, if you hit their shield you have a chance of breaking it (the Skullbash destroys everything in its path) and if they get out of the way, you have the advantage of a quick attack from behind.
Hmm, most competitive players are fast enough to react before Pichu hits their shield (jump out of sheild or roll forwards) or if Pichu tries to attack afterwards :(

It's not hard to stand well spaced away from a charging Pichu and pressing L/R + forward when you hear Pichu scream >_>

T0MMY

Smash Master
*Agrees*

Like KoreanDJ and Chu Dat?

Fully charged, you'll pass the ledge actually. Nevertheless, if they run to the other side, they won't be hit :chuckle:

Hmm, most competitive players are fast enough to react before Pichu hits their shield (jump out of sheild or roll forwards) or if Pichu tries to attack afterwards :(

It's not hard to stand well spaced away from a charging Pichu and pressing L/R + forward when you hear Pichu scream >_>
Have you talked to KoreanDJ and Chu about Pichu in person? I have.

I have never shot myself off FD when I started the Skullbash from the opposite side. Competitive players know if they try something against a Skullbash it opens an opportunity of getting hit with a very powerful attack that will potentially KO them and they would not take the risk to inflict about 12-15% damage when there are safer alternatives. Unless that competitive player is my brother, who has a lot of Pichu competition.

If you roll out of the way of the Skullbash you are in more lag than Pichu will be from recovering from the Skullbash if done properly and will most likely get U-aired, B-aired, or grabbed.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Have you talked to KoreanDJ and Chu about Pichu in person? I have.
Does that matter??? lol I'm pretty sure they don't recommend this "technique".
If you roll out of the way of the Skullbash you are in more lag than Pichu will be from recovering from the Skullbash if done properly and will most likely get U-aired, B-aired, or grabbed.
No....Pichu would be flying past you and the roll would be going the opposite way...so there would be a decent amount of space in between the two >.>

phish-it

Smash Champion
I can't believe this is an actual "strategy". Pichu's forward-B is near useless for things other than recovery or on a sleeping jigglypuff/shield broken character.

marthsword

Smash Ace
I can't believe this is an actual "strategy". Pichu's forward-B is near useless for things other than recovery or on a sleeping jigglypuff/shield broken character.
I tried it and got it to work once. And T0MMY is saying it. Unless this is a joke that definitely counts.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Yeah, Luigi Ka Master uses this tactic with the Green Missile. It ALWAYS works, because our players don't have reflexes of any sort and go into epileptic shock when they see a horizontal attack charging.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
one time i did the forward smash manuever on the luigi green missile attack and it hit him instead of him hitting me. its the best counter for the luigi green missile attack that i know of, but it requires inhuman timing and accuracy.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
I tried it and got it to work once. And T0MMY is saying it. Unless this is a joke that definitely counts.
It doesn't mean something is true when T0MMY says it. I'm not always right either.

Btw, the skullbash sucks.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Does that matter??? lol I'm pretty sure they don't recommend this "technique".

No....Pichu would be flying past you and the roll would be going the opposite way...so there would be a decent amount of space in between the two >.>
Apparently it mattered to you up until I mentioned that I've talked to both KDJ & Chu in person about Pichu. KDJ, btw, loves my combo vid and I played some games against his Capt Falcon with my Pichu. Admittedly, he two-stocked me, but that was before I knew he was one of the best players in the world :embarrass: I figured I would do better against him with a better character, but didn't have time to play anymore. (hopes he's reading this) Next time! (shakes fist)

How about this, isntead of questioning if the attack can work in any way, how about you try it out for yourself. And if it doesn't work, either get better or don't complain about it. Haha.

It doesn't mean something is true when T0MMY says it. I'm not always right either.

Btw, the skullbash sucks.
Don't you know, I'm always 100.5% correct? :psycho:
And, yeah, Skullbash does suck.

KrF2

Smash Cadet
sorry to let you know this, but skullbashing doesn't work in real matches. n e one with enough sense would wd/spot dodge/jump to you and attack. it is too easy to counter because they could use projectiles or land on you with an arial, or dodge you, or just plain wait for your skull bash to go off and then intercept it. my friend tried this against my ganon a very long time ago, and i comboed him zero to death at 127%. he never tried it again.
spotdodge or grab

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Apparently it mattered to you up until I mentioned that I've talked to both KDJ & Chu in person about Pichu. KDJ, btw, loves my combo vid and I played some games against his Capt Falcon with my Pichu. Admittedly, he two-stocked me, but that was before I knew he was one of the best players in the world :embarrass: I figured I would do better against him with a better character, but didn't have time to play anymore. (hopes he's reading this) Next time! (shakes fist)
How many Skull-Bashes did you land???
How about this, isntead of questioning if the attack can work in any way, how about you try it out for yourself. And if it doesn't work, either get better or don't complain about it. Haha
lmao, ok. "If you aren't able to land a charged Skull-Bash on a competitive player, then you're not a good player." Nice logic :ohwell:

MartyTheBarb

Smash Rookie
How many Skull-Bashes did you land???

lmao, ok. "If you aren't able to land a charged Skull-Bash on a competitive player, then you're not a good player." Nice logic :ohwell:
Thats twisting even more words. End the cycle! Stop the hate! I might have had a point at one time, but now... just lost....

O one question though, TOMMY do you play pichu? o.o

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Yeah, a silly idea.

You can flat out rush pichu take the hit from a 2-3ish second charged skull bash (and I'm pretty sure it's much larger than that) and get up at about the same time as pichu does... at high percents. If you can't do that just wait and roll to dodge.

Skull bash is a horrible move, the amount of time it takes to charge up to the point of "leathal" is crazy, and anyone you hit with it you certainly could of beat without it anyway. and for it's high priority you need to be fully charaged to advance without fear.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thats twisting even more words. End the cycle! Stop the hate! I might have had a point at one time, but now... just lost....

He's known for playing Pichu, of course he does.

T0MMY

Smash Master

I only played him once in a blindfolded, one-handed match.

A bazillion.

Top Bottom