• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Mini-Recreates: The SSB Series Rosters

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Job #14:
Seems as there'll probably be quite a few characters that spring to mind (some of whom have already been mentioned), I'll suggest some more... unorthodox picks.

Lip was a reoccuring candidate from the previous game's rounds, and still has some interesting potential as a mix between a retro/puzzle rep while maintaining her own visual and character identity that I don't really think any other character in Nintendo's library would bring to the table. Plus, while the Puzzle League series is by no means massively active by 2008, there is a reasonably recent Dr. Mario & Puzzle League title on the GBA in 2005 to consider...

While the Metroid franchise is in a... surprisingly decent spot right about now, I'm going to restrain myself from suggesting a Hunters character and instead propose a villain that's quite iconic to the series already, by this point - Dark Samus. Despite appearing as an Echo Fighter in our world's Ultimate, Dark Samus's Phazon-based abilities and boss fights from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes would lend to something really unique and visually striking. Plus, it'd be in a unique spot to really represent the Prime series specifically... even if there is a certain pirate from the series that I imagine people would also like to see.

Lastly, a bit of an oddball, but... Piplup is in a really good spot around now! Gen IV's one of the more recent ones at this time period, and Piplup - being one of the three starters from Diamond and Pearl - has by this point already developed quite the following, helped by a continuous anime presence. Plus, we've not really explored the water typing thus far - not to mention the potential that a funky little penguin brings to a moveset.

Obviously shoutouts to some vets, Ganondorf is one that really stands out on this front. I have a few characters I'd honestly like to suggest, but I'll keep myself tempered for the time being. (I'm not really sure how this round works in terms of whether this already counts as votes, but hey - if I can plant seeds in people's heads, that might be worth something down the line.)

Job #15:
Mario, Pikachu, Kirby, Marth, Fox. A weirder lineup, but I think it has decent logic behind it, such as...
  • Leaves space open for us to showcase the unified "Triforce Trio" in (presumably) their new Twilight Princess designs as a big later reveal.
  • Also leaves space for a big "rivals/villains" theme in future promotional material, after we reveal characters like Bowser, Ganondorf, etc.
  • Has a variety of visual styles, while still keeping three of Nintendo's most iconic characters (Mario, Pikachu and Kirby) front and centre.
  • Showcases that fan-favourite characters from both previous games' lineups will be returning (through Marth).

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
  1. Pit
  2. Meta Knight
  3. Ashley

Pit is a new series and fills the same role he did in the Brawl reveal, Meta Knight is the same, Ashley I think makes sense since Wario has been around since 64 here and would be deserving of a second rep and she is pretty popular, if recent at this point. I considered Isaac but probably makes more sense as a mid way through reveal.

roster thoughts:

Our melee roster is good though I might have held Yoshi or a clone off to get another series in there. Lots of fun picks. Had never heard of Celica before but I think she's a good opportunity to diversify our FE line up from here on out. I think it might have been too early for Daisy though if I'm honest. She'd probably be a really easy clone to be fair but I think she could could have waited.

In terms of brawl, I think keeping Sonic and Snake is a smart move. I think Snake is pretty important as he represents the start of outside non Nintendo -y characters getting into smash, something that would later lead to what we got in 4 and Ultimate. It may have been fun to instead use someone like Cloud or Leon Kennedy but it is what it is.

As for cuts in Brawl. I think DK JR. is doomed sadly, Diddy is coming and I don't know if we have the room to have both (though I wouldn't mind having a Diddy \ Dixie duo like was planned) other than that I could see Celica and one of the Pokemon leaving. I'd quite like to keep Black Shadow since we could always use more villains. I wouldn't mind us cutting one of our 64 picks (I'd say cut Mewoth, keep Mewtwo, just to stand out from RL).

Newcomers? I think Ganondorf is a must. Meta Knight too. We could probably also add Ridley here. I do want to add some new series to our line up. I don't think we need a third guest character right now but if we do I think Mega Man is the best pick, though this might be the right time to add Geno honestly.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Job #14: Submit the Brawl newcomers:
  1. Mii: so Miis were the hot stuff during the Wii era. They represented that time like no other character did. Therefore I think they should get their shot in this timeline's Brawl. Though personally I'd rather have them being based on the plethora of casual games they were available in, instead of going through the Brawler/Swordfighter/Gunner path. This way we can also save some space in the roster too, since Miis now only take one slot
  2. Villager: yup, I'm aware that he was considered in Brawl but Sakurai had no idea on how to implement him, but that didn't stop me for the Miis, so I don't see why it should stop me with Villager. Villager is a cute and nice addition to the roster, it has a very distinct look and flow and definitely represents Nintendo extremely well. No wonder he was the first newcomer in Smash for. Also Animal Crossing was getting pretty popular at that time, I think, so this also helps.
  3. Little Mac: I think that he is a great retro pick. Honestly, the idea of Nintendo having this somewhat famous bruiser joining Smash only in Smash for is a bit wild to me, as he would have been imo the perfect retro pick to start things off in Melee, of all things.
With these three newcomers I wanted to add new Nintendo series to the mix. So far, we only have 12/13 (depends on how you consider Yoshi) series represented, which is fine, but we should boost series representation a bit. Shoutout to Olimar, Isaac, and Nell too: they were very close to being nominated but in the end they lost to Little Mac and Villager (I knew beforehand I wanted to add Mii).

Job #15: Choose five veterans for E3
I'm going to play it safe and boring:
:ultmario::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultlink::ultbowser:

SURPRISE! Bet you were expecting Pikachu, were you not? Well, I've always felt that Pokémon kind of live in their own bubble, where they are indeed Nintendo characters, but a bit less involved than the other big names. This, along with my desire to have a female character and a villain in made me drop Pikachu for Samus and Bowser. I don't think anyone would question me on Mario, Kirby, and Link

Louie G.

Smash Hero
SURPRISE! Bet you were expecting Pikachu, were you not? Well, I've always felt that Pokémon kind of live in their own bubble, where they are indeed Nintendo characters, but a bit less involved than the other big names. This, along with my desire to have a female character and a villain in made me drop Pikachu for Samus and Bowser. I don't think anyone would question me on Mario, Kirby, and Link
I’m actually gonna copy your homework on this one, because I feel similarly about Pokemon and seeing the outpour of Ganon support I’m convinced maybe this first trailer could have something of a “rivals” theme, which makes Bowser kind of essential.

And leaving out Samus is something I almost immediately regretted. I just wanted to deviate a bit so we didn’t all do the same thing, but we’ve got a surprising amount of variety going on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom