• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the subject of new mechanics, how about something like this: Assist Spirits. They would be a meter style resource with several charges that you could build up over the course of a match. Expending a charge causes the Spirit to come in and do an assist type move. Building the meter fully allows you to use a Super Assist, which is basically a super, but for your assist character (I have a way with words, I know).

Lets use Waluigi as an example. Waluigi's Assist has him appear in front of the player, and swing a tennis racket. This attack is a reflector, but otherwise is fairly unremarkable. His Super Assist has him kick a soccer ball at the nearest opponent. If it hits, they are wrapped in purple vines, stunning them. Like with all stun mechanics, this is more effective at higher percents.

Could be a fun way to add assists and supers at the same time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So... Honest question.

Do you think Terry's inclusion in Smash and his positive reception led to to revival of the Fatal Fury franchise? For those who aren't aware, Fatal Fury is getting a new game after 20 years. It's going to be called Fatal Fury: City of the Wolves.

:ult_terry:
I wouldn't rule out the possibility, though Terry was announced for Smash in September 2019. We know City of the Wolves was in development in August 2022. If Smash had an impact on a new Fatal Fury, then they acted kinda quickly on that.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
No kidding! It's not like it will be like Pokemon Scarlet and Violet, or Sword and Shield, which were not good games.

And those Pokemon games were not so good for reasons other than cutting Pokemon, right?
The actual content in them is some of the enst in the seires. They are held back by bugs.

mother wise scarlet and violet would be the end in the seires, it’s a shame

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of backwards compatibility and Smash 6, I think we will get Smash 6. A deluxe port makes little sense and these are different times compared to something like Mario Kart 8.

Also a Smash 6 would give some much needed attention to modern Nintendo. Their legacies are in the making, and I’d like to see what they can offer to Smash.

If cuts happen, that’s fine. I suspect 30-40 will be on the chopping block, such as licensing issues, lack of relevance, or something else entirely. Still a lot of fighters, but not a situation where there’s too few.

And if EiH does happen again, I can be surprised because I wouldn’t be expecting it.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Oh if you want a Smash style crossover game in a different genre than platform fighter then I think the ticket would be a Smite style 3rd person MOBA. Disregarding the processes of getting this game actually made it'd basically be a guaranteed success and there's so many reasons why it's a good idea.

You have a real-time action based combat game that can easily utilize Nintendo's IPs in a crossover just like Smash that's also simultaneously very distinct from Smash in multiple ways namely the use of a 3D space for traversal and battle. A fun little idea is to have Nintendo style "creeps" too (it's MOBA terminology for the lane soldiers) for the different stages. You could have Goombas and Koopas for Mario stages, Waddle Dees for Kirby stages, Deku Scrubs for Zelda stages, Kremlings for Donkey Kong stages and the list goes on and on.

It's a genre of game Nintendo hasn't themselves gotten into other than Pokemon Unite with is only Pokemon and uses the traditional bird's eye perspective. That game (Pokemon Unite) is also a blatant low-effort (when you factor in GameFreak and Tencent's billions upon billions in resources) cash grab and we're going to go ahead presume a new Smash style Nintendo crossover game would be a labor of love with a healthy amount of resources just like Smash is.

The "best" reason not to do it is the existence of Pokemon Unite and Nintendo deciding they don't want to compete with that. It's whatever then because if that's the reason not to do it then it's a terrible reason because the 3rd person Smite perspective is very untapped in the MOBA market and it gives a better sense of a immersion and is more approachable for casual players. With how many business relationships Smash by itself opens for them I can't imagine Nintendo thinking it's a bad idea to introduce more "Smash" style crossover games to their lineup. A Smash MOBA and yes even a Smash Kart racer would absolutely be extremely good for the company if they could pull it off though Smash Kart would be the biggest risk since it would have to replace Mario Kart.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
At the likely cost of quality?

You can't ignore the bad things that are possible just so you can get what you want, you know.
I acknowledge the possibility but completely reject the likeliness.

Smash is one of the most popular and profitable games in the world. Nintendo has all the resources it needs to expand the game in any area it wants without sacrificing other areas.

And even if they couldn't. Yes, I'd still be willing to sacrifice some quality or complexity to get more characters.

But I don't have to. Because Nintendo can do both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom