• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The disadvantages of turning Smash Bros into 3D Gameplay

NinTOONdo

Smash Rookie
First of all, yes: I know that there actually is already an existing mod in Ultimate where the 3rd dimension becomes playable, however: This list refers to Smash Bros. in-general, and what are some official aspects from licensed Smash games that wouldn't work in 3D gameplay, or would cause some quirks! Without further ado, here's a list of disadvantages that my brain hatches when it comes to 3D-fying Smash Bros gameplay:

1: some stages, such as Flat Zone X, wouldn't work because even when turning all playable-characters and/or items into 3D models in that stage, the background & foreground of Flat Zone X is somewhat featureless, and the same situation could apply to Hanenbow or Pac-Land. If Smash Bros adds a 3D special-mode, those stages would be very likely banned for such specific mode.

2: some things that work perfectly as background objects that can't be touched, would be ruined by fighters accessing the 3rd dimension, that is unless an invincible cloak could be added to the Pokémon Trainers, citizens of Smashville (and Town & City), and Pokémon's in Pokémon Stadium 2 or Kalos Pokémon League.

3: this change could defeat the use of certain unique stages such as Jungle Hijinx or Spiral Mountain. In the former, the effect of alternating between the foreground & background wouldn't make much sense anymore. In the latter, rotating the stage would be kinda useless since the background & foreground becomes accessible now, that is unless rotating the camera facing the stage's background would still somewhat help to an extent degree.

4: Corneria and Venom's layout would become redundant, again that is unless the Camera Angle makes them still feel faithful enough to their actual uniqueness.

5: Knockback inside certain terrain-boxes would be fled open due to the Z-axis having no wall while becoming accessible.

6: the blast-zones would no longer be screen-based since the background & foreground would need to also have blast-lines in order to avoid infinity. The background's blast-zones could be immeasurable, while the foreground would probably have very little to no room for character's visibility.

All in all, while adding the Z-axis as an Explorable Gameplay Aspect in Smash Bros would be fun, there does exist certain unique gameplay features that work so perfect in 2-dimensional movement, and would gain a lot of quirk if it was upgraded to 3-dimensional movement.

But there are way more advantages for 3-dimensional gameplay in Smash that I can currently think of (one of the more few includes circular gravity stages like Mario Galaxy or Windy Hill).

What do you prefer? 2D Smash or 3D Smash? If you don't know what 3D Smash looks like, you could search it upon YouTube and then immediately find multiple relevant results showing gameplay footage.

I was initially planning to share this list on GameFAQs, but then determined that the Smash Community in that site is kinda toxic (based on my personal experience), so I changed plans ahead of time to move this desired thread of mine into Smashboards instead, which I find way safer than GameFAQs (no offense to exceptionally polite users who have way better experiences with that site than I do).

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
First of all, yes: I know that there actually is already an existing mod in Ultimate where the 3rd dimension becomes playable, however: This list refers to Smash Bros. in-general, and what are some official aspects from licensed Smash games that wouldn't work in 3D gameplay, or would cause some quirks! Without further ado, here's a list of disadvantages that my brain hatches when it comes to 3D-fying Smash Bros gameplay:

1: some stages, such as Flat Zone X, wouldn't work because even when turning all playable-characters and/or items into 3D models in that stage, the background & foreground of Flat Zone X is somewhat featureless, and the same situation could apply to Hanenbow or Pac-Land. If Smash Bros adds a 3D special-mode, those stages would be very likely banned for such specific mode.

2: some things that work perfectly as background objects that can't be touched, would be ruined by fighters accessing the 3rd dimension, that is unless an invincible cloak could be added to the Pokémon Trainers, citizens of Smashville (and Town & City), and Pokémon's in Pokémon Stadium 2 or Kalos Pokémon League.

3: this change could defeat the use of certain unique stages such as Jungle Hijinx or Spiral Mountain. In the former, the effect of alternating between the foreground & background wouldn't make much sense anymore. In the latter, rotating the stage would be kinda useless since the background & foreground becomes accessible now, that is unless rotating the camera facing the stage's background would still somewhat help to an extent degree.

4: Corneria and Venom's layout would become redundant, again that is unless the Camera Angle makes them still feel faithful enough to their actual uniqueness.

5: Knockback inside certain terrain-boxes would be fled open due to the Z-axis having no wall while becoming accessible.

6: the blast-zones would no longer be screen-based since the background & foreground would need to also have blast-lines in order to avoid infinity. The background's blast-zones could be immeasurable, while the foreground would probably have very little to no room for character's visibility.

All in all, while adding the Z-axis as an Explorable Gameplay Aspect in Smash Bros would be fun, there does exist certain unique gameplay features that work so perfect in 2-dimensional movement, and would gain a lot of quirk if it was upgraded to 3-dimensional movement.

But there are way more advantages for 3-dimensional gameplay in Smash that I can currently think of (one of the more few includes circular gravity stages like Mario Galaxy or Windy Hill).

What do you prefer? 2D Smash or 3D Smash? If you don't know what 3D Smash looks like, you could search it upon YouTube and then immediately find multiple relevant results showing gameplay footage.

I was initially planning to share this list on GameFAQs, but then determined that the Smash Community in that site is kinda toxic (based on my personal experience), so I changed plans ahead of time to move this desired thread of mine into Smashboards instead, which I find way safer than GameFAQs (no offense to exceptionally polite users who have way better experiences with that site than I do).
1. If Smash made the jump to 3D this wouldn't be an issue. Just don't put in Flat Zone.
2. Most arena fighters have characters standing just outside the ring if there are spectators or cameos.
3. Arena fighters usually don't have stage gimmicks anyways.
4. Again you could probably just not include those stages - Corneria would be cool to have though, I see no problem with it.
5. idk what this means i'm probably just reading it wrong
6. I think Smash in 3D could benefit from a KoF Stadium-like gimmick, where you still rack up percent as usual, and knock them into the walls of the arena with enough knockback to take them out.

If Smash goes 3D I would prefer it be a spinoff rather than a main series entry. Would be a fun experiment especially given Namco's experience in the genre.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I always pictured a 3d smash using its own set of stages, sure they may try to transition some favorites to 3d but dont see them holding back if some wanted stages just dont work.

2 - As Janx_uwu mentioned other arena fighters make it work, dont see why they cant make some sort of wall protecting spectators or have them more in the background away from the action.

3 - I think a Jungle Hijinks like stage could work. You might need to have a split screen situation but they could just make it impossible to jump between the 2 areas or put a wall between them with some sort of transportation between the 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom